Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping Greg: Artisan bread

Greg,

I have now made several loaves of the bread from the book Artisan
Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have just made the basic recipe so
far.

This is my second batch of dough, and I am loving it. I made this one
right after I used the last of the first dough, as the author
suggested, right in the container. The loaf I made today, rose
spectacularly, and it is sitting on my counter now, with one end cut
off, as I couldn't wait to eat a slice of warm bread. LOL.

I am thinking of making another type of dough next time, for the
peasant style loaf. That has rye and whole wheat flour in it. Have
you made any others yet? I know you got the book recently.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I have now made several loaves of the bread from the book Artisan
> Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have just made the basic recipe so
> far.
>
> This is my second batch of dough, and I am loving it. I made this one
> right after I used the last of the first dough, as the author
> suggested, right in the container. The loaf I made today, rose
> spectacularly, and it is sitting on my counter now, with one end cut
> off, as I couldn't wait to eat a slice of warm bread. LOL.
>
> I am thinking of making another type of dough next time, for the
> peasant style loaf. That has rye and whole wheat flour in it. Have
> you made any others yet? I know you got the book recently.
>
> Christine

I'm not Greg and I have made the European Peasant Loaf (I think that's
what they call it). It's okay. I have plain white in the fridge now --
used some for pizza on Sunday and made a small loaf then, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:37:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:

>>I'm not Greg and I have made the European Peasant Loaf (I think that's

>what they call it). It's okay. I have plain white in the fridge now --
>used some for pizza on Sunday and made a small loaf then, too.

Did you make the loaf right away, or let the dough sit for a few days?
Have you made any others yet, other than those two?

I like this loaf, but wondering how the different flours would affect
it. It sure is easy to put together!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Deb Deb is offline

I love this recipe, and if it sits in the fridge a few days, I think it
develops a deeper flavor.

Debbie

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Greg,
>
> I have now made several loaves of the bread from the book Artisan
> Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have just made the basic recipe so
> far.
>
> This is my second batch of dough, and I am loving it. I made this one
> right after I used the last of the first dough, as the author
> suggested, right in the container. The loaf I made today, rose
> spectacularly, and it is sitting on my counter now, with one end cut
> off, as I couldn't wait to eat a slice of warm bread. LOL.
>
> I am thinking of making another type of dough next time, for the
> peasant style loaf. That has rye and whole wheat flour in it. Have
> you made any others yet? I know you got the book recently.
>
> Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:37:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >>I'm not Greg and I have made the European Peasant Loaf (I think that's

> >what they call it). It's okay. I have plain white in the fridge now --
> >used some for pizza on Sunday and made a small loaf then, too.

> Did you make the loaf right away, or let the dough sit for a few days?
> Have you made any others yet, other than those two?
>
> I like this loaf, but wondering how the different flours would affect
> it. It sure is easy to put together!!
>
> Christine

I rarely bake the dough the same day it's mixed, Christine. Not
necessarily a few days, though. I haven't gotten around to making any
but the two doughs; they satisfy my needs.

--
-Barb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I have now made several loaves of the bread from the book Artisan
> Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have just made the basic recipe so
> far.

Same here.

> This is my second batch of dough, and I am loving it.

Same here. It's not really much different from the New York Times
no-knead bread, at least the way I do it (no baking stone), but it's
easier and more convenient.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I have now made several loaves of the bread from the book Artisan
> Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have just made the basic recipe so
> far.
>
> This is my second batch of dough, and I am loving it. I made this one
> right after I used the last of the first dough, as the author
> suggested, right in the container. The loaf I made today, rose
> spectacularly, and it is sitting on my counter now, with one end cut
> off, as I couldn't wait to eat a slice of warm bread. LOL.
>
> I am thinking of making another type of dough next time, for the
> peasant style loaf. That has rye and whole wheat flour in it. Have
> you made any others yet? I know you got the book recently.

I started out with the basic white loaf, and have proceeded to the whole
wheat and buttermilk loaves.

I made "potato" bread by simply added some instant mashed taters to the mix.
Very good...

The biggest hit has been beer bread, I simply throw in a can of beer with
the liquid. Any 'ole beer will do...

The buttermilk and beer bread doughs *really* rise high, like "The
Blob"...!!! This rising continues apace even when the dough is in the
fridge...

I usually add some dried onion flakes to my loaves, also throw in some dried
herbs...I sprinkle the top of the loaves before baking with kosher salt and
sesame seeds...

I have not made any rye bread or any pizza - type stuff, I'll be doing that
soon...

I make my bread in loaf pans, I never fooled around with the baking stone
thing...just make sure the loaf pans are nonstick and also greased, as the
doughs tend to be generally wet.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:37:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >>I'm not Greg and I have made the European Peasant Loaf (I think that's

> >what they call it). It's okay. I have plain white in the fridge now --
> >used some for pizza on Sunday and made a small loaf then, too.

> Did you make the loaf right away, or let the dough sit for a few days?

I've left the dough in the fridge for up to 10 days...

> Have you made any others yet, other than those two?
>
> I like this loaf, but wondering how the different flours would affect
> it. It sure is easy to put together!!

It's so easy that you can pretty much experiment with anything, you'll never
have a bad result...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> > Greg,
> >
> > I have now made several loaves of the bread from the book Artisan
> > Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have just made the basic recipe so
> > far.
> >
> > This is my second batch of dough, and I am loving it. I made this one
> > right after I used the last of the first dough, as the author
> > suggested, right in the container. The loaf I made today, rose
> > spectacularly, and it is sitting on my counter now, with one end cut
> > off, as I couldn't wait to eat a slice of warm bread. LOL.
> >
> > I am thinking of making another type of dough next time, for the
> > peasant style loaf. That has rye and whole wheat flour in it. Have
> > you made any others yet? I know you got the book recently.
> >
> > Christine

> My doG, this sounds fabulous. I'm going to look for this book ASAP. We

spend
> a fortne on "srtisan" breads...

A local Chicago station had the authors on the nooze, here is a link and
there is a short vid somewheres on the site.

http://wgntv.trb.com/news/local/lunc...,3530113.story

Amazon has the book for $18.45, which is $9.50 off list. There is a link to
Amazon in the WGN link I provided above...

I heartily recommend it, it's one of the few things lately my jaded 'ole
self has been excited about, lol...

I was a total yeast bread baking noobie, I was making good bread on my very
first attempt...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping Greg: Artisan bread - question

Christine Dabney wrote:

.. . .

> I like this loaf, but wondering how the different flours would affect
> it. It sure is easy to put together!!

I want very much to try this but don't want a boule loaf. SO what do
you think would happen if I put the dough into a 8 x 4 or 9 X 5 loaf
pan, which is about the right size for the one-pound loaf the recipe is
talking about?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I want nice even slices from a little
loaf like that, but have no clue how to anticipate the result of
changing the instructions this way.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>
> . . .
>
>> I like this loaf, but wondering how the different flours would affect
>> it. It sure is easy to put together!!

> I want very much to try this but don't want a boule loaf. SO what do
> you think would happen if I put the dough into a 8 x 4 or 9 X 5 loaf
> pan, which is about the right size for the one-pound loaf the recipe is
> talking about?
>
> Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I want nice even slices from a little
> loaf like that, but have no clue how to anticipate the result of
> changing the instructions this way.

You should go for it. I use a loaf pan for the New York Times no-knead
bread all the time, and that dough is essentially the same.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> You should go for it. I use a loaf pan for the New York Times no-knead
> bread all the time, and that dough is essentially the same.

> Serene

Thanks much

Reading down the thread I see another poster seems happy with loaf pans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> Greg,
>>
>> I have now made several loaves of the bread from the book Artisan
>> Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have just made the basic recipe so
>> far.
>>
>> This is my second batch of dough, and I am loving it. I made this one
>> right after I used the last of the first dough, as the author
>> suggested, right in the container. The loaf I made today, rose
>> spectacularly, and it is sitting on my counter now, with one end cut
>> off, as I couldn't wait to eat a slice of warm bread. LOL.
>>
>> I am thinking of making another type of dough next time, for the
>> peasant style loaf. That has rye and whole wheat flour in it. Have
>> you made any others yet? I know you got the book recently.
>>

> I started out with the basic white loaf, and have proceeded to the whole
> wheat and buttermilk loaves.
>
> I made "potato" bread by simply added some instant mashed taters to the mix.
> Very good...
>
> The biggest hit has been beer bread, I simply throw in a can of beer with
> the liquid. Any 'ole beer will do...
>
> The buttermilk and beer bread doughs *really* rise high, like "The
> Blob"...!!! This rising continues apace even when the dough is in the
> fridge...
>
> I usually add some dried onion flakes to my loaves, also throw in some dried
> herbs...I sprinkle the top of the loaves before baking with kosher salt and
> sesame seeds...
>
> I have not made any rye bread or any pizza - type stuff, I'll be doing that
> soon...
>
> I make my bread in loaf pans, I never fooled around with the baking stone
> thing...just make sure the loaf pans are nonstick and also greased, as the
> doughs tend to be generally wet.

Thanks for writing about your experiences with the book; I have it, but
haven't had time to try any of the recipes yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:55:06 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>I have not made any rye bread or any pizza - type stuff, I'll be doing that
>soon...

Once you get pizza crust down you'll be the neighborhood hero. I've
used many recipes over the years and I get bored and switch to
another. Right now I've been using one from a bread machine book by
Jennie Shapter. Friday night I made a few pies with a friend who's a
firehouse cook and a caterer. He's very critical and has no problem
telling you if something sucks. My crust got 2 thumbs up. Pizza is
pretty easy.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:33:11 -0500, Lou Decruss >
wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:55:06 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:
>

>>I have not made any rye bread or any pizza - type stuff, I'll be doing that
>>soon...

>Once you get pizza crust down you'll be the neighborhood hero. I've
>used many recipes over the years and I get bored and switch to
>another. Right now I've been using one from a bread machine book by
>Jennie Shapter. Friday night I made a few pies with a friend who's a
>firehouse cook and a caterer. He's very critical and has no problem
>telling you if something sucks. My crust got 2 thumbs up. Pizza is
>pretty easy.
>
>Lou

they must love you down at the firehouse, lou. (i'm thinking of the
spice blend you made for them.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:55:06 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>

> >I have not made any rye bread or any pizza - type stuff, I'll be doing

that
> >soon...

> Once you get pizza crust down you'll be the neighborhood hero. I've
> used many recipes over the years and I get bored and switch to
> another. Right now I've been using one from a bread machine book by
> Jennie Shapter. Friday night I made a few pies with a friend who's a
> firehouse cook and a caterer. He's very critical and has no problem
> telling you if something sucks. My crust got 2 thumbs up. Pizza is
> pretty easy.

Yep, and so much better than the general run of stuff that you can buy...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow said...

> Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:55:06 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >I have not made any rye bread or any pizza - type stuff, I'll be doing

> that
>> >soon...

>> Once you get pizza crust down you'll be the neighborhood hero. I've
>> used many recipes over the years and I get bored and switch to
>> another. Right now I've been using one from a bread machine book by
>> Jennie Shapter. Friday night I made a few pies with a friend who's a
>> firehouse cook and a caterer. He's very critical and has no problem
>> telling you if something sucks. My crust got 2 thumbs up. Pizza is
>> pretty easy.

> Yep, and so much better than the general run of stuff that you can buy...

I make killer rosemary popovers. Well, I used to.

Simple stuff really but so much fun! And buttery! I'd sit down and polish
off all six in a sitting.

And NO PEEKING in the oven until time's up!

Andy
http://i19.tinypic.com/4y8r6he.jpg
Flunked focaccia more times than I care to remember.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow said...

> Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Gregory Morrow said...

doing
>> > that

>> > Yep, and so much better than the general run of stuff that you can

> buy...
>>

>> I make killer rosemary popovers. Well, I used to.
>>
>> Simple stuff really but so much fun! And buttery! I'd sit down and

polish
>> off all six in a sitting.
>>
>> And NO PEEKING in the oven until time's up!

> Andy, I think you and Sqwertz should hook up, get married

even...California
> is c-a-l-l-i-n-g...!!!
>
> <chuckle>

LOL!

Nah, let wartz rot in Texas for the benefit of the r.f.c membership.
Kalifornia will be my home again over the 4th of July.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote:

> Gregory Morrow said...
>

> > Lou Decruss wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:55:06 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"

> > that
> >>
> >> Once you get pizza crust down you'll be the neighborhood hero. I've
> >> used many recipes over the years and I get bored and switch to
> >> another. Right now I've been using one from a bread machine book by
> >> Jennie Shapter. Friday night I made a few pies with a friend who's a
> >> firehouse cook and a caterer. He's very critical and has no problem
> >> telling you if something sucks. My crust got 2 thumbs up. Pizza is
> >> pretty easy.

> > Yep, and so much better than the general run of stuff that you can

buy...

> I make killer rosemary popovers. Well, I used to.
>
> Simple stuff really but so much fun! And buttery! I'd sit down and polish
> off all six in a sitting.
>
> And NO PEEKING in the oven until time's up!

Andy, I think you and Sqwertz should hook up, get married even...California
is c-a-l-l-i-n-g...!!!

<chuckle>

--
Best
Greg

..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:46:33 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:33:11 -0500, Lou Decruss >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:55:06 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:
>>

>>>I have not made any rye bread or any pizza - type stuff, I'll be doing that
>>>soon...

>>Once you get pizza crust down you'll be the neighborhood hero. I've
>>used many recipes over the years and I get bored and switch to
>>another. Right now I've been using one from a bread machine book by
>>Jennie Shapter. Friday night I made a few pies with a friend who's a
>>firehouse cook and a caterer. He's very critical and has no problem
>>telling you if something sucks. My crust got 2 thumbs up. Pizza is
>>pretty easy.
>>
>>Lou

>they must love you down at the firehouse, lou. (i'm thinking of the
>spice blend you made for them.)

I forgot about that spice blend. That was for a different brother
who's a fireman also. He's also a medic but just wants to fight fires
now. I'll have to remember to ask how it was received. He's at a
different firehouse than the brother I partied with this past weekend.
This last group loved the ice cream I made. Firemen, medics, and cops
are a blast to party with, but I'm glad I chose a safer path in life.
One of our kids is an EMT now and starts medic school in a few weeks.
His goal is to be a nurse and I hope he skips the fireman thing.
<sigh>

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:56:21 -0500, Lou Decruss >
wrote:

>That was for a different brother who's a fireman also.

I was just thinking yesterday that it's surprising we don't have a lot
of firefighters participating in rfc.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:05:18 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Kalifornia will be my home again over the 4th of July.

> Going to visit your buddy in SoCal again?

sf,

Yep! It'll be another fun food trip as usual.

Andy

How do you eat your artisan bread? Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 93 28-08-2012 05:45 PM
Ping: Greg Morrow Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 4 28-09-2009 03:36 AM
Ping: Greg Morrow Michel Boucher[_3_] General Cooking 17 27-07-2009 03:58 PM
Artisan Bread Deb Recipes (moderated) 0 16-06-2008 03:08 AM
Artisan Bread DVD HUTCHNDI Sourdough 13 14-02-2005 12:41 AM