FoodBanter.com

-   -   What to do with Brie? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/156061-what-do-brie.html)

Sky 24-05-2008 05:11 PM

What to do with Brie?

er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

cybercat 24-05-2008 05:26 PM

What to do with Brie?

"Sky" > wrote in message
> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
> baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
> their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
> wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
> Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

I love this cheese as is at room temperature. I think it loses something
when baked.

sf[_3_] 24-05-2008 05:46 PM

What to do with Brie?

On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:11:54 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
>too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
>baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
>their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
>wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
>Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

For everyday, I use just crusty bread.... for slightly fancier (like
when the kids come over), they'll throw a head of garlic into the
oven. For company, I serve it with bread, roasted garlic, wedges of
pear and a clump or two of grapes for prettiness. I don't do jams or
nuts on brie.

If you want your brie hot and melty, you can enclose it in brioche
dough and bake. There was also a way to do pan fry brie which
involved a whole mini wheel, but I don't remember how I did it. I
think it was similar to pan frying fish.... some kind of wash, coat
with bread crumbs, fry in butter.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Michael Kuettner 24-05-2008 05:49 PM

What to do with Brie?

"Sky" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
> baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
> their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
> wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
> Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

Easy !

Oven-baked potatos with Brie
(Serves 4)

8 potatos
500 grams Brie
young (spring) onions
rosemary
pepper, salt

Wash potatos, wrap in tinfoil and bake in the oven at 180 deg C for ca.
40 minutes.
Unwrap potatos. Cut the potatos lengthwise and gently press the halves apart,
so that you get a pocket.
Fill this pocket with thinly sliced Brie and rosemary.
Season with salt and pepper.
Put the potatos back in the oven for ca. 5 minutes, until the brie is molten.

Cut the young onions in thin slices and sprinkle over the potatos.

Server.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

cshenk 24-05-2008 05:52 PM

What to do with Brie?

"Sky" wrote

> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not

Below recipe, cooks best in a glass pan such as you may have for brownies.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Brie, Pepper, Onion soda bread
Categories: Breads, Xxcarol
Yield: 6 Servings

2 c Flour, white all purpose
1 ts Salt
1/3 c Butter
1 c Slivered brie (or small bits
1/2 c Fine chopped onion
1 tb Black pepper
2/3 c Milk
1 tb Baking soda

Start with all the dry ingredients and mix them well in a large bowl.
Now add the butter (softened but not melted) and chop that into the
mix as well as you reasonably can. Add the remaining ingredients and
mix to a dough. Using a preheated oven (always preheat when making
bread or fish!) bake at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes.

You can actually use any cheese I can think of for this (if using
cottage cheese, add a bit more flour if it seems to 'wet') and you
may want to vary the spice used to match the cheese type. The onions
are optional.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol From: Carol Shenkenberger Date: 06-26-97
Cooking

MMMMM

Nathalie Chiva 24-05-2008 06:06 PM

What to do with Brie?

wrote:

>er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
>too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
>baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
>their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
>wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
>Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

I usually eat it as is. However, I've recently seen a recipe for Brie
quiche which looked appetizing - you might google that and try it -
oh, and be sure to report back :-)

Nathalie in Switzerland

The Ranger[_6_] 24-05-2008 06:12 PM

What to do with Brie?

Michael Kuettner > wrote in message
> Oven-baked potatos with Brie
> (Serves 4)
>
> 8 potatos
> 500 grams Brie
> young (spring) onions
> rosemary
> pepper, salt
>
> Wash potatos, wrap in tinfoil and bake in the oven at
> 180 deg C for ca. 40 minutes.
> Unwrap potatos. Cut the potatos lengthwise and gently
> press the halves apart, so that you get a pocket. Fill this
> pocket with thinly sliced Brie and rosemary. Season with
> salt and pepper. Put the potatos back in the oven for ca.
> 5 minutes, until the brie is molten.
>
> Cut the young onions in thin slices and sprinkle over the
> potatos.
>
> Serve.

Thanks for the recipe, Michael. I never thought about using
rosemary with the brie. Doesn't that "overpower" the brie?

I do something similar to the above recipe but use Maui or
Valencia onions. I slice thick rings and then circle the
potatoes with the rings to keep them together. I also ladle
butter over everything to give them a golden crunch. The
daughter-units will easily consume the entire batch between
themselves so we make more than eight potatoes.

The Ranger

[email protected] 24-05-2008 06:12 PM

What to do with Brie?

wrote:

>er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
>too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
>baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
>their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
>wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
>Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?
>
>Sky

Sorry I do not have the recipe handy, but I made a fabulous brie dish
once. Penne pasta, steamed broccoli and chunks of brie cheese. All
tossed together and it was delicious. The brie gives it the salt and
the melted cheese hangs all over the pasta and the green broccoli is
beautiful and crunchy.

Wish I still had the recipe.

aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona

Goomba[_2_] 24-05-2008 06:35 PM

What to do with Brie?

wrote:

> aloha,
> beans
> roast beans to kona to email
> farmers of Pure Kona

Isn't it about time for your next dinner club meal? I always enjoy the
posts and await the next culture you dine on. Wasn't Austria the last meal?
Hurry up! LOL

Michael Kuettner 24-05-2008 06:43 PM

What to do with Brie?

"The Ranger" schrieb :
> Michael Kuettner wrote :
>> Oven-baked potatos with Brie
>> (Serves 4)

<snip>
> Thanks for the recipe, Michael. I never thought about using rosemary with the
> brie. Doesn't that "overpower" the brie?

You're welcome.
No, the rosemary adds to the taste. Use sparingly and use fresh
rosemary.
For a real kick, try finely chopped Liebstoeckel - Levisticum
officinale - leaves instead of rosemary.

> I do something similar to the above recipe but use Maui or Valencia onions.

Those are white salad onions, right ?
Spring onions are young onions which taste like a mixture
of leek and onion; you use the greens, too.
Very good sprinkled over salads, btw.

> I slice thick rings and then circle the potatoes with the rings to keep them
> together. I also ladle butter over everything to give them a golden crunch.
> The daughter-units will easily consume the entire batch between themselves so
> we make more than eight potatoes.

Butter and Brie ? That would overwhelm the taste of the potato,
I guess.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

The Ranger[_6_] 24-05-2008 06:50 PM

What to do with Brie?

Michael Kuettner > wrote in message
[snip]
> Butter and Brie ? That would overwhelm the taste of
> the potato, I guess.

We'll agree to disagree here. One can never have enough cheese
and butter (and other assorted dairy) on a potato. :)

The Ranger

serene 24-05-2008 06:51 PM

What to do with Brie?

Sky wrote:
> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
> baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
> their brie cheese.

We love brie. When we don't just eat it, I do one of the following
things with it:

Wrap it in puff pastry, with or without nuts / dried fruit /
preserves, and bake it.

Cube it, put it into a chafing dish or crockpot with walnuts and
dried cranberries, and warm until the cubes are melty, then dip with
sturdy crackers.

Make omelettes with it.

Make brie-and-pesto torte -- cut it horizontally into 2 or 3 slices,
then "ice" the middles with pesto -- I use two kinds if I'm doing 3
slices.

Make pasta and toss the hot pasta with brie cubes and other stuff --
one of our favorites is sauteed onions, peas, and crumbled bacon.

Serene

Mark P. Nelson[_2_] 24-05-2008 07:35 PM

What to do with Brie?

Nathalie Chiva > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:11:54 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
>>er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
>>too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
>>baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
>>their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
>>wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
>>Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

> I usually eat it as is. However, I've recently seen a recipe for Brie
> quiche which looked appetizing - you might google that and try it -
> oh, and be sure to report back :-)

I recently had a Brie and smoked salmon pizza that was pretty good.

Mark.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short

Janet Wilder[_1_] 24-05-2008 07:53 PM

What to do with Brie?

Sky wrote:
> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
> baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
> their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
> wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
> Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?
>
> Sky

I like room temp brie smeared on ripe pear slices.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Michael Kuettner 24-05-2008 07:59 PM

What to do with Brie?

"The Ranger" schrieb :
> Michael Kuettner wrote :
> [snip]
>> Butter and Brie ? That would overwhelm the taste of
>> the potato, I guess.

> We'll agree to disagree here. One can never have enough cheese and butter (and
> other assorted dairy) on a potato. :)

Butter _or_ cheese, you heathen ;-)

Another nice addition to baked potato would be sour cream mixed
with chopped herbs.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Michael Kuettner 24-05-2008 08:02 PM

What to do with Brie?

"Margaret Suran" schrieb :
> Michael Kuettner wrote:
>

>> Butter and Brie ? That would overwhelm the taste of the potato,
>> I guess.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Michael Kuettner
>>

> What is more delicious than a slice of fresh, buttered rye or pumpernickel
> bread with very ripe Brie? Right now, I like D'Affinois, made of cow's milk,
> best. With a glass of wine, of possible.

Oh, I completely agree !
But we were talking about Brie and butter on potatos.
In my eyes, that would be overpowering the potato.
Pumpernickel or rye bread, OTOH, has a robust flavour of its own.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

James Silverton[_2_] 24-05-2008 08:17 PM

What to do with Brie?

Michael wrote on Sat, 24 May 2008 21:02:18 +0200:

> "Margaret Suran" schrieb :
>> Michael Kuettner wrote:
>>
>>> Butter and Brie ? That would overwhelm the taste of the
>>> potato, I guess.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Michael Kuettner
>>>

>> What is more delicious than a slice of fresh, buttered rye or
>> pumpernickel bread with very ripe Brie? Right now, I like
>> D'Affinois, made of cow's milk, best. With a glass of wine,
>> of possible.

> Oh, I completely agree !
> But we were talking about Brie and butter on potatos.
> In my eyes, that would be overpowering the potato.
> Pumpernickel or rye bread, OTOH, has a robust flavour of its
> own.

> Cheers,

A perfectly ripened Brie with good French bread is the most,
IMHO, but I'll admit that baked "en croute" is pretty good. I
would drink something like a fairly dry white wine, say a
Sancerre or a New Zealand Cabinet Sauvignon and I find that some
cornichons on the side are good too. I do not like serving Brie
with sweet fruity sauces as I tried at Whole Foods recently.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

The Ranger[_6_] 24-05-2008 08:21 PM

What to do with Brie?

Michael Kuettner > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" schrieb :
>> Michael Kuettner wrote :
>> [snip]
>>> Butter and Brie ? That would overwhelm the taste of
>>> the potato, I guess.

>> We'll agree to disagree here. One can never have
>> enough cheese and butter (and other assorted dairy)
>> on a potato. :)
>>

> Butter _or_ cheese, you heathen ;-)

"Heathen?" HA! Read and weep, infidel!

Butter, cheese, _and_ creme fraiche/sour cream are my normal
accompaniments for potatoes!

> Another nice addition to baked potato would be sour
> cream mixed with chopped herbs.

Agreed; but you missed "butter" in the above! <EG>

The Ranger

Michael Kuettner 24-05-2008 08:49 PM

What to do with Brie?

"The Ranger" schrieb :
> Michael Kuettner wrote :
>> "The Ranger" schrieb :
>>> Michael Kuettner wrote :
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> We'll agree to disagree here. One can never have
>>> enough cheese and butter (and other assorted dairy)
>>> on a potato. :)
>>>

>> Butter _or_ cheese, you heathen ;-)

> "Heathen?" HA! Read and weep, infidel!
>
> Butter, cheese, _and_ creme fraiche/sour cream are my normal accompaniments
> for potatoes!

I've read. I've wept. ;-)

>> Another nice addition to baked potato would be sour
>> cream mixed with chopped herbs.

> Agreed; but you missed "butter" in the above! <EG>

Nah, margarine or Crisco would be better ! <VEG>

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Ophelia[_1_] 24-05-2008 08:51 PM

What to do with Brie?

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Sky wrote:
>> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use
>> 'fore too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers
>> (baked and not baked), but I'd like to know what the local
>> RFC-denizens like to do with their brie cheese. I've tried it baked
>> encased with phyllo, but I wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory,
>> with steaks maybe? Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh
>> fruit? What say y'all? Sky
>>

> I like room temp brie smeared on ripe pear slices.

Yummmmmmmmmm now you are talking my language:)))

serene 24-05-2008 08:57 PM

What to do with Brie?

Margaret Suran wrote:

> What is more delicious than a slice of fresh, buttered rye or
> pumpernickel bread with very ripe Brie? Right now, I like D'Affinois,
> made of cow's milk, best.

A woman after my own heart. D'Affinois may be my favorite cheese of
all. I mean, triple-cream brie -- how could that be bad?

Serene

Michael Kuettner 24-05-2008 09:14 PM

What to do with Brie?

"James Silverton" schrieb :
> Michael wrote on Sat, 24 May 2008 21:02:18 +0200:

>>> What is more delicious than a slice of fresh, buttered rye or
>>> pumpernickel bread with very ripe Brie? Right now, I like
>>> D'Affinois, made of cow's milk, best. With a glass of wine, of possible.

>> Oh, I completely agree !
>> But we were talking about Brie and butter on potatos.
>> In my eyes, that would be overpowering the potato.
>> Pumpernickel or rye bread, OTOH, has a robust flavour of its
>> own.

> A perfectly ripened Brie with good French bread is the most,

With a touch of freshly grint pepper.

> IMHO, but I'll admit that baked "en croute" is pretty good. I would drink
> something like a fairly dry white wine, say a Sancerre or a New Zealand
> Cabinet Sauvignon and I find that some cornichons on the side are good too. I
> do not like serving Brie with sweet fruity sauces as I tried at Whole Foods
> recently.

The baked one is served with Preiselbeer-Sauce (lingonberry or cowberry)
over here.
It's not sweet, but sour-sweet and sets a nice counter-point to enhance
the flavour.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 24-05-2008 09:38 PM

What to do with Brie?

On Sat 24 May 2008 09:11:54a, Sky told us...

> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
> baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
> their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
> wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
> Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?
>
> Sky

You might try using puff pastry instead of phyllo dough. I much prefer it.
I usually take the chunks (or whole small wheels) of brie, top it off with
a good jam or preserve like black currant, damson plum, red raspberry,
etc., then totally encase and seal it in the puff pastry before baking.
Some toasted nuts on top of the preserves are nice, too. Let it cool
slightly before serving. I was served homemade croissants once that were
filled with brie. Very nice.

Also, there's this...

Brie Cheesecake (savory)

1 pound peeled brie (peels best when cold with vegetable peeler)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
2 egg yolks
Pinch of pepper
Scant teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon

Crust:

1 1/4 cups toasted almonds
10 crushed Bremer wafers
4 tablespoons melted butter
Run ingredients through food processor.

Make crust: grind toasted almonds, Bremer wafers with melted butter. Press
crust into 8-inch springform pan.

Bake crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Add brie filling to pan, lower temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 45
minutes.

Serve at room temperature.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 24-05-2008 09:43 PM

What to do with Brie?

On Sat 24 May 2008 12:57:36p, Serene told us...

> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>> What is more delicious than a slice of fresh, buttered rye or
>> pumpernickel bread with very ripe Brie? Right now, I like D'Affinois,
>> made of cow's milk, best.

> A woman after my own heart. D'Affinois may be my favorite cheese of
> all. I mean, triple-cream brie -- how could that be bad?
>
> Serene

Enough of it could probably give you a heart attack. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1dys 10hrs 20mins
No matter who you vote for, the
government gets elected.

James Silverton[_2_] 24-05-2008 09:45 PM

What to do with Brie?

Michael wrote on Sat, 24 May 2008 22:14:46 +0200:

> "James Silverton" schrieb :
>> Michael wrote on Sat, 24 May 2008 21:02:18 +0200:

>>> Oh, I completely agree !
>>> But we were talking about Brie and butter on potatos.
>>> In my eyes, that would be overpowering the potato.
>>> Pumpernickel or rye bread, OTOH, has a robust flavour of its
>>> own.

>> A perfectly ripened Brie with good French bread is the most,

> With a touch of freshly grint pepper.

>> IMHO, but I'll admit that baked "en croute" is pretty good. I
>> would drink something like a fairly dry white wine, say a
>> Sancerre or a New Zealand Cabinet Sauvignon and I find that
>> some cornichons on the side are good too. I do not like
>> serving Brie with sweet fruity sauces as I tried at Whole
>> Foods recently.
>>

> The baked one is served with Preiselbeer-Sauce (lingonberry or
> cowberry) over here.
> It's not sweet, but sour-sweet and sets a nice counter-point
> to enhance the flavour.

To each their own I guess! I'll go for the pepper and possibly a
very little salt but not the jam :-)

Michael Kuettner 24-05-2008 10:10 PM

What to do with Brie?

"James Silverton" schrieb :
> Michael wrote on Sat, 24 May 2008 22:14:46 +0200:

>>> A perfectly ripened Brie with good French bread is the most,

>> With a touch of freshly grint pepper.

>>> IMHO, but I'll admit that baked "en croute" is pretty good. I
>>> would drink something like a fairly dry white wine, say a
>>> Sancerre or a New Zealand Cabinet Sauvignon and I find that
>>> some cornichons on the side are good too. I do not like
>>> serving Brie with sweet fruity sauces as I tried at Whole
>>> Foods recently.
>>>

>> The baked one is served with Preiselbeer-Sauce (lingonberry or
>> cowberry) over here.
>> It's not sweet, but sour-sweet and sets a nice counter-point
>> to enhance the flavour.

> To each their own I guess! I'll go for the pepper and possibly a very little
> salt but not the jam :-)

No, James. _Not_ jam.
Think of cranberry sauce but with berries much more sour and much less
sugar added.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

[email protected] 24-05-2008 11:45 PM

What to do with Brie?

On Sat, 24 May 2008 13:35:28 -0400, Goomba >

>> aloha,
>> beans
>> roast beans to kona to email
>> farmers of Pure Kona

>Isn't it about time for your next dinner club meal? I always enjoy the
>posts and await the next culture you dine on. Wasn't Austria the last meal?
>Hurry up! LOL

LOL indeed. Yes it was yummy Austria and on June 14, it's going to be
Turkey. No food assignments yet, but I will post about it<g>.

aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona

Miche[_3_] 25-05-2008 12:08 AM

What to do with Brie?

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
> baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
> their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
> wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
> Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

Brie cheese and quince paste is one of the finest combinations on this
earth.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 25-05-2008 12:18 AM

What to do with Brie?

On Sat 24 May 2008 04:08:45p, Miche told us...

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
>> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
>> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
>> baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
>> their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
>> wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
>> Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

> Brie cheese and quince paste is one of the finest combinations on this
> earth.
>
> Miche

Trying to find any product made of quince, or the fruit itself, is akin to
looking for hen's teeth in these parts. I do love quince. Back in Ohio I
happened onto several quince trees growing in a meadow off the side of the
road. The quince were ripe and I to "steal" over half a bushel to take
home. I baked a couple of quince pies, and made a fair amount of quince
preserves and jam. Haven't had any since.

Quince is one of several fruits that I love and find virtually inpossible
to find here. The others are fresh gooseberries, red and black currants.
I think part of the problem is that they are not that popular here. I
would give almost anything for a freshly baked gooseberry pie or a fresh
currant tart. :-(

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1dys 7hrs 50mins
The 'poor cat in the rain' look.It
never fails.

Arri London 25-05-2008 02:10 AM

What to do with Brie?

Sky wrote:

> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
> baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
> their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
> wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
> Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?
>
> Sky

No jam with Brie... at least not the real thing from France. Eat with
good crusty bread, some fruit and a decent wine.

Miche[_3_] 25-05-2008 02:33 AM

What to do with Brie?

In article 4>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sat 24 May 2008 04:08:45p, Miche told us...
>
> > In article >,
> > Sky > wrote:
> >
> >> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
> >> too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
> >> baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
> >> their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
> >> wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
> >> Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

> > Brie cheese and quince paste is one of the finest combinations on this
> > earth.

> Trying to find any product made of quince, or the fruit itself, is akin to
> looking for hen's teeth in these parts.

It's quince season here at the moment -- I should buy half a dozen and
make my own quince paste.

> I do love quince. Back in Ohio I
> happened onto several quince trees growing in a meadow off the side of the
> road. The quince were ripe and I to "steal" over half a bushel to take
> home. I baked a couple of quince pies, and made a fair amount of quince
> preserves and jam. Haven't had any since.

Awesome!

> Quince is one of several fruits that I love and find virtually inpossible
> to find here.

Woe!

> The others are fresh gooseberries, red and black currants.
> I think part of the problem is that they are not that popular here. I
> would give almost anything for a freshly baked gooseberry pie or a fresh
> currant tart. :-(

You'd get along well with my mother. She loves quince and gooseberries
(she used to eat quince out of hand like apples). Dad planted a
gooseberry bush in the garden, so she could have all the "goosegogs" she
wanted. :)

Miche

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 25-05-2008 02:46 AM

What to do with Brie?

On Sat 24 May 2008 06:33:02p, Miche told us...

> In article 4>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 24 May 2008 04:08:45p, Miche told us...

>> > Brie cheese and quince paste is one of the finest combinations on
>> > this earth.

>> Trying to find any product made of quince, or the fruit itself, is akin
>> to looking for hen's teeth in these parts.

> It's quince season here at the moment -- I should buy half a dozen and
> make my own quince paste.
>
>> I do love quince. Back in Ohio I
>> happened onto several quince trees growing in a meadow off the side of
>> the road. The quince were ripe and I to "steal" over half a bushel to
>> take home. I baked a couple of quince pies, and made a fair amount of
>> quince preserves and jam. Haven't had any since.

> Awesome!
>
>> Quince is one of several fruits that I love and find virtually
>> inpossible to find here.

> Woe!
>
>> The others are fresh gooseberries, red and black currants.
>> I think part of the problem is that they are not that popular here. I
>> would give almost anything for a freshly baked gooseberry pie or a
>> fresh currant tart. :-(

> You'd get along well with my mother. She loves quince and gooseberries
> (she used to eat quince out of hand like apples). Dad planted a
> gooseberry bush in the garden, so she could have all the "goosegogs" she
> wanted. :)
>
> Miche

When we lived in NE Ohio I had redcurrant bushes and they were lush with
fruit every season. Unfortunately, the climate just wasn't right for
gooseberries. I tried several times to have a couple of bushes, but they
never developed well. Now that we're in the desert, there's no hope of
trying to do either. OTOH, with copious irrigation, all citrus fruit,
pecans, dates, and stone fruits thrive nicely here and are available fresh
much of the year.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1dys 5hrs 20mins
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

Karen[_3_] 25-05-2008 08:01 AM

What to do with Brie?

On May 24, 12:51*pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
> > I like room temp brie smeared on ripe pear slices.

> Yummmmmmmmmm now you are talking my language:)))

something about eating brie with fruit makes it less fattening, too.

Karen

Ophelia[_1_] 25-05-2008 08:42 AM

What to do with Brie?

Karen wrote:
> On May 24, 12:51 pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> I like room temp brie smeared on ripe pear slices.

>> Yummmmmmmmmm now you are talking my language:)))

> something about eating brie with fruit makes it less fattening, too.

Nodnodnod. Not sure how, but I know if you break biscuits (cookies) before
you eat them, the calories run out!

Vilco[_1_] 25-05-2008 10:43 AM

What to do with Brie?

Sky wrote

> er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use
> 'fore too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers
> (baked and not baked), but I'd like to know what the local
> RFC-denizens like to do with their brie cheese. I've tried it baked
> encased with phyllo, but I wasn't too thrilled with the outcome.
> Savory, with steaks maybe? Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh
> fruit? What say y'all?

Serve it with acacia honey and good bread.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Dave Smith[_1_] 25-05-2008 11:52 AM

What to do with Brie?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> When we lived in NE Ohio I had redcurrant bushes and they were lush with
> fruit every season. Unfortunately, the climate just wasn't right for
> gooseberries. I tried several times to have a couple of bushes, but they
> never developed well. Now that we're in the desert, there's no hope of
> trying to do either. OTOH, with copious irrigation, all citrus fruit,
> pecans, dates, and stone fruits thrive nicely here and are available fresh
> much of the year.

I am surprised to hear that because I grew up in southern Ontario where the
climate is virtually identical to NE Ohio and my parents had a few gooseberry
bushes which did very well.

sf[_3_] 25-05-2008 06:49 PM

What to do with Brie?

On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:18:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>would give almost anything for a freshly baked gooseberry pie or a fresh
>currant tart. :-(

Fresh currants are too expensive to become popular these days if you
ever manage to blunder upon them in a store.

We can blame White Pine Blister for currants and gooseberries being a
virtually unknown commodity here. Although we are allowed to plant
them now, the market just isn't there anymore. If I remember
correctly, the bushes are big, so you'd need a very large yard/garden
to grow them in.
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...1995/curr.html

sf
who loves old fashioned currant pie.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 25-05-2008 08:29 PM

What to do with Brie?

On Sun 25 May 2008 10:49:38a, sf told us...

> On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:18:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>would give almost anything for a freshly baked gooseberry pie or a fresh
>>currant tart. :-(

> Fresh currants are too expensive to become popular these days if you
> ever manage to blunder upon them in a store.
>
> We can blame White Pine Blister for currants and gooseberries being a
> virtually unknown commodity here. Although we are allowed to plant
> them now, the market just isn't there anymore. If I remember
> correctly, the bushes are big, so you'd need a very large yard/garden
> to grow them in.
> http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...1995/curr.html
>
> sf
> who loves old fashioned currant pie.

Thanks, Barbara, I didn't know that. Could be why I couldn't manage to get
the gooseberry buses to survive. This was some years ago.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 25-05-2008 08:29 PM

What to do with Brie?

On Sun 25 May 2008 03:52:10a, Dave Smith told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> When we lived in NE Ohio I had redcurrant bushes and they were lush
>> with fruit every season. Unfortunately, the climate just wasn't right
>> for gooseberries. I tried several times to have a couple of bushes,
>> but they never developed well. Now that we're in the desert, there's
>> no hope of trying to do either. OTOH, with copious irrigation, all
>> citrus fruit, pecans, dates, and stone fruits thrive nicely here and
>> are available fresh much of the year.

> I am surprised to hear that because I grew up in southern Ontario where
> the climate is virtually identical to NE Ohio and my parents had a few
> gooseberry bushes which did very well.

We were surprised they didn't thrive, too. Perhaps it was the soil,
although it was good growing many other things. I did find some on a trip
to Kentucky one year and bought them a farmer's market.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

sf[_3_] 26-05-2008 01:49 AM

What to do with Brie?

On Sat, 24 May 2008 22:14:46 +0200, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:
>
>"James Silverton" schrieb :
>>
>> A perfectly ripened Brie with good French bread is the most,

>With a touch of freshly grint pepper.

I've see brie with pepper in the rind.