Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT aluminum foil/plastic wrap

I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.

Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.

Who knew?

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 9:19*am, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>
> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
> I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
> have been on some of their endless commercials before now. *I have
> called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.
>
> Who knew?
>
> Libby

I did!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On May 23, 9:19 am, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>
> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
> I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
> have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
> called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.
>
> Who knew?
>
> Libby

I did!

I didn't

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fred/Libby wrote on Fri, 23 May 2008 12:19:34 -0400:

> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little
> push-in tabs on the end of the box to keep the roll in the
> box? I don't know how long they've been there, but you would
> think they would have been on some of their endless
> commercials before now. I have called those rolls and their
> boxes ugly names for years.

> Who knew?

The tabs don't work. I push a screw threaded metal rod thro' the
box and fasten it with a wing nut. Cost me about a buck and I've
been using it for years.

I have another question: is the position of the tear strip
patented? Right next the roll on the box works for me but some
manufacturers put it on the lid or else on the bottom of the
box.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 10:47*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On May 23, 9:19 am, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
>
> > I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> > be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.

> > Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> > on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
> > I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
> > have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
> > called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.

> > Who knew?

> > Libby

> I did!
>
> I didn't

Well, now you do!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 11:09*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Fred/Libby *wrote *on Fri, 23 May 2008 12:19:34 -0400:
>
> > Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little
> > push-in tabs on the end of the box to keep the roll in the
> > box? I don't know how long they've been there, but you would
> > think they would have been on some of their endless
> > commercials before now. *I have called those rolls and their
> > boxes ugly names for years.
> > Who knew?

> The tabs don't work. I push a screw threaded metal rod thro' the
> box and fasten it with a wing nut. Cost me about a buck and I've
> been using it for years.
>
> I have another question: is the position of the tear strip
> patented? Right next the roll on the box works for me but some
> manufacturers put it on the lid or else on the bottom of the
> box.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Don't know about your question, but the last time I bought plastic
wrap, it was at Cash n Carry (Smart & Final in other areas). Instead
of a metal cutter, it has sandpaper on the edge to cut with- I love
it! I'd better, because it will probably last me about another year!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> The tabs don't work. I push a screw threaded metal rod thro' the box and
> fasten it with a wing nut. Cost me about a buck and I've been using it for
> years.

What a good idea!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On May 23, 10:47 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On May 23, 9:19 am, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
>
> > I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> > be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.

> > Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> > on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
> > I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
> > have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
> > called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.

> > Who knew?

> > Libby

> I did!
>
> I didn't

Well, now you do!!

LOL true)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Fred/Libby wrote on Fri, 23 May 2008 12:19:34 -0400:
>
>> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little
>> push-in tabs on the end of the box to keep the roll in the
>> box? I don't know how long they've been there, but you would
>> think they would have been on some of their endless
>> commercials before now. I have called those rolls and their
>> boxes ugly names for years.

>> Who knew?

> The tabs don't work. I push a screw threaded metal rod thro' the box and
> fasten it with a wing nut. Cost me about a buck and I've been using it for
> years.

hahaha! What a "guy" kinda thing to do!!! A wingnut! lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On May 23, 10:47 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On May 23, 9:19 am, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
>
> > I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> > be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.

> > Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> > on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
> > I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
> > have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
> > called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.

> > Who knew?

> > Libby

> I did!
>
>> I didn't

>Well, now you do!!

I didn't either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>
>> The tabs don't work. I push a screw threaded metal rod thro' the box and
>> fasten it with a wing nut. Cost me about a buck and I've been using it
>> for years.

> What a good idea!

ahahaha! "Honey, grab my toolbox, I am doing to make sure this roll NEVER
comes out of the box!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
om...

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> The tabs don't work. I push a screw threaded metal rod thro' the box and
>>> fasten it with a wing nut. Cost me about a buck and I've been using it
>>> for years.

>> What a good idea!

> ahahaha! "Honey, grab my toolbox, I am doing to make sure this roll NEVER
> comes out of the box!"

and your point is? )))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 11:19*am, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>
> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> on the end
>
> Who knew?
>
> Libby

I knew - a l-o-n-g time ago, actually. Some of the manufacturers have
been doing that for years.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> What a good idea!

>> ahahaha! "Honey, grab my toolbox, I am doing to make sure this roll NEVER
>> comes out of the box!"

> and your point is? )))

I love men. *Sigh* That's my point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> ahahaha! "Honey, grab my toolbox, I am doing to make sure this roll
>>> NEVER comes out of the box!"

>> and your point is? )))
>>

> I love men. *Sigh* That's my point.

*titter*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
>> I love men. *Sigh* That's my point.

> *titter*

Oh btw what it the month on that last booklet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>> I love men. *Sigh* That's my point.

>> *titter*

> Oh btw what it the month on that last booklet?

It is Marh 2008, Issue 123! "Mother's Little Helper." I meant to tell you
how much I am enjoying the little stories. "Steam Power's Last Days" is a
neat article. Did you get a chance to read it? I enjoy History of Technology
pieces. The piece on spring flowers is also wonderful--AND--to bring to to
topic--the article on page 36--" A Feeling For Food" explores how much of
our nostalgia is food-based! Talks about getting chips in newspaper "to eat
on the way," and other things. Very cool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>> om...

>>> and your point is? )))
>>>

>> I love men. *Sigh* That's my point.

> *titter*

It's true. Men and tool boxes. Power tools. The fact that every man I have
ever known would clean up a storm with anything that has a trigger, but balk
at the bucket and mop. Knowing the full name of every actress with a nice
rack, but failing to recognize the FACE of any one of them when they are
starring in something new.

That funny, almost embarrassed look they get when just finished dressing for
a fancy event, all trussed up in a suit with a somber expression and little
bits of tissue stuck where they cut themselves. Smelling of aftershave.

The sweet, foreign scent of engine grease that clings when they've been
screwing up, err, I mean working on the car.

The hair on their frecked forearms. The cowlicks on their pointy little
heads.

They have their bad points, as we all do, but on the whole, men are my
heart's delight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote on Fri, 23 May 2008 14:42:59 -0400:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message news:iLDZj.3363$ED6.458@trnddc02...
>> Fred/Libby wrote on Fri, 23 May 2008 12:19:34 -0400:
>>
>>> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little
>>> push-in tabs on the end of the box to keep the roll in the
>>> box? I don't know how long they've been there, but you would
>>> think they would have been on some of their endless
>>> commercials before now. I have called those rolls and their
>>> boxes ugly names for years.

>>> Who knew?

>> The tabs don't work. I push a screw threaded metal rod thro'
>> the box and fasten it with a wing nut. Cost me about a buck
>> and I've been using it for years.
>>

> hahaha! What a "guy" kinda thing to do!!! A wingnut! lol

I don't keep a supply of wing nuts but any decent hardware store
has them! They certainly beat fooling around with standard nuts
and also being wider don't tend to pull into the box.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> cybercat wrote on Fri, 23 May 2008 14:42:59 -0400:
>

>> "James Silverton" > wrote in
>> message news:iLDZj.3363$ED6.458@trnddc02...

>>> The tabs don't work. I push a screw threaded metal rod thro' the box and
>>> fasten it with a wing nut. Cost me about a buck
>>> and I've been using it for years.
>>>

>> hahaha! What a "guy" kinda thing to do!!! A wingnut! lol

> I don't keep a supply of wing nuts but any decent hardware store has them!
> They certainly beat fooling around with standard nuts and also being wider
> don't tend to pull into the box.

Yes, James, I do not doubt that your fix is practical and effective!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Fred/Libby Barclay" > wrote in message

> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>
> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
> I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
> have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
> called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.
>
> Who knew?
>
> Libby

Not all brands have this. But, my Mom showed me this early in my cooking
days. Right after I opened a new box of aluminum foil, and proceeded to
watch the roll go clear across the room as I tried to pull out a piece.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fred/Libby Barclay wrote:

> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>
> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
> I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
> have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
> called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.

Heck, mine has a rewinder for when too much comes out.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/film_reel.jpg

But no, I don't think I've noticed the tabs; I don't have any other such
boxes to check.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> "Fred/Libby Barclay" > wrote in message
>>
>> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
>> be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>>
>> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
>> on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
>> I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
>> have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
>> called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.
>>
>> Who knew?
>>
>> Libby
>>

> Not all brands have this. But, my Mom showed me this early in my cooking
> days. Right after I opened a new box of aluminum foil, and proceeded to
> watch the roll go clear across the room as I tried to pull out a piece.

Couldn't blame it on the cat, either, I guess.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
NEW --> Now evaluating a GG-free news feed: http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> BOB wrote:
>

>> "Fred/Libby Barclay" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
>>> be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>>>
>>> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
>>> on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
>>> I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
>>> have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
>>> called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.
>>>
>>> Who knew?
>>>
>>> Libby
>>>

>> Not all brands have this. But, my Mom showed me this early in my cooking
>> days. Right after I opened a new box of aluminum foil, and proceeded to
>> watch the roll go clear across the room as I tried to pull out a piece.

> Couldn't blame it on the cat, either, I guess.

No way. Besides, Mom was there and saw the whole thing.
'-)

BOB

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
> NEW --> Now evaluating a GG-free news feed: http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 11:19*am, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>
> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
> I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
> have been on some of their endless commercials before now. *

But it isn't just one brand that has them, so no one brand has a
reason to call attention to a feature that in no way differentiates
their brand from any other.

> I have called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.

You talk to the Saran Wrap?

> Who knew?
>
> Libby

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

>>> *titter*

>> Oh btw what it the month on that last booklet?

> It is Marh 2008, Issue 123! "Mother's Little Helper." I meant to tell
> you how much I am enjoying the little stories. "Steam Power's Last
> Days" is a neat article. Did you get a chance to read it? I enjoy
> History of Technology pieces. The piece on spring flowers is also
> wonderful--AND--to bring to to topic--the article on page 36--" A
> Feeling For Food" explores how much of our nostalgia is food-based!
> Talks about getting chips in newspaper "to eat on the way," and other
> things. Very cool.

Oooops I have May for you. Not sure what happened to April

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> cybercat wrote:

>>> I love men. *Sigh* That's my point.

>> *titter*

> It's true. Men and tool boxes. Power tools. The fact that every man I
> have ever known would clean up a storm with anything that has a
> trigger, but balk at the bucket and mop. Knowing the full name of
> every actress with a nice rack, but failing to recognize the FACE of
> any one of them when they are starring in something new.
>
> That funny, almost embarrassed look they get when just finished
> dressing for a fancy event, all trussed up in a suit with a somber
> expression and little bits of tissue stuck where they cut themselves.
> Smelling of aftershave.
> The sweet, foreign scent of engine grease that clings when they've
> been screwing up, err, I mean working on the car.
>
> The hair on their frecked forearms. The cowlicks on their pointy
> little heads.
>
> They have their bad points, as we all do, but on the whole, men are my
> heart's delight.

SOME men

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:
> "Fred/Libby Barclay" > wrote in message
>>
>> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies
>> would be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>>
>> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in
>> tabs on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
>> I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they
>> would have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I
>> have called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.
>>
>> Who knew?
>>
>> Libby
>>

> Not all brands have this. But, my Mom showed me this early in my
> cooking days. Right after I opened a new box of aluminum foil, and
> proceeded to watch the roll go clear across the room as I tried to
> pull out a piece.

I am not even sure mine has yet. I will look when I get home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fred/Libby Barclay wrote:
> I just learned this on another group and thought all you foodies would
> be interested if you don't already know...I didn't.
>
> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little push-in tabs
> on the end of the box to keep the roll in the box?
> I don't know how long they've been there, but you would think they would
> have been on some of their endless commercials before now. I have
> called those rolls and their boxes ugly names for years.
>
> Who knew?
>
> Libby

Some brands do, some don't; I've also seen push-in tabs on the lids of
baking parchment boxes to stabilize the roll when tearing a piece off

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote on Sat, 24 May 2008 08:47:41 +0100:

> BOB wrote:
>> "Fred/Libby Barclay" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I just learned this on another group and thought all you
>>> foodies would be interested if you don't already know...I
>>> didn't.
>>>
>>> Do you know that aluminum foil and plastic wrap have little
>>> push-in tabs on the end of the box to keep the roll in the
>>> box? I don't know how long they've been there, but you would
>>> think they would have been on some of their endless
>>> commercials before now. I have called those rolls and their
>>> boxes ugly names for years.
>>>
>>> Who knew?
>>>
>>> Libby
>>>

>> Not all brands have this. But, my Mom showed me this early
>> in my cooking days. Right after I opened a new box of
>> aluminum foil, and proceeded to watch the roll go clear
>> across the room as I tried to pull out a piece.

I've mentioned this before but my latest box of Saran wrap had
no indication of the start of the roll and I wasted a while
holding the box at different angles and rotating the roll before
I found the beginning.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:51:00 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
>news
>> BOB wrote:
>>

>>> Not all brands have this. But, my Mom showed me this early in my cooking
>>> days. Right after I opened a new box of aluminum foil, and proceeded to
>>> watch the roll go clear across the room as I tried to pull out a piece.

>> Couldn't blame it on the cat, either, I guess.

>No way. Besides, Mom was there and saw the whole thing.
>'-)
>
>BOB

cats are *fast*.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:

>>> *titter*

>> It's true. Men and tool boxes. Power tools. The fact that every man I
>> have ever known would clean up a storm with anything that has a
>> trigger, but balk at the bucket and mop. Knowing the full name of
>> every actress with a nice rack, but failing to recognize the FACE of
>> any one of them when they are starring in something new.
>>
>> That funny, almost embarrassed look they get when just finished
>> dressing for a fancy event, all trussed up in a suit with a somber
>> expression and little bits of tissue stuck where they cut themselves.
>> Smelling of aftershave.
>> The sweet, foreign scent of engine grease that clings when they've
>> been screwing up, err, I mean working on the car.
>>
>> The hair on their frecked forearms. The cowlicks on their pointy
>> little heads.
>>
>> They have their bad points, as we all do, but on the whole, men are my
>> heart's delight.

> SOME men

Oh, shit, right. Then there is Sheldon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote

> Oooops I have May for you. Not sure what happened to April

You are too kind!! My goodness, I feel lucky to have gotten one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
>>> They have their bad points, as we all do, but on the whole, men are
>>> my heart's delight.

>> SOME men

> Oh, shit, right. Then there is Sheldon.

I rest my case!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote
>>
>> Oooops I have May for you. Not sure what happened to April

> You are too kind!! My goodness, I feel lucky to have gotten one!

We are up at the house, but when we go back down I will send it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 May 2008 18:29:29 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>>> SOME men

>> Oh, shit, right. Then there is Sheldon.

>I rest my case!

i don't know about that. have we run the saliva test on him?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 24 May 2008 18:29:29 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>>> Oh, shit, right. Then there is Sheldon.

>> I rest my case!
>>

> i don't know about that. have we run the saliva test on him?

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww(((((((((((

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 May 2008 18:29:29 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> I rest my case!
>>>

>> i don't know about that. have we run the saliva test on him?

> ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww(((((((((((

And we started out on such a sunny note!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> i don't know about that. have we run the saliva test on him?

>> ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww(((((((((((

> And we started out on such a sunny note!

On a bank holiday too!!

gold aluminum foil? Mad Scientist Jr General Cooking 5 05-01-2007 08:55 PM
Disappearing Aluminum Foil Barbecue 4 02-08-2004 01:22 AM
ALUMINUM EGGS (FOIL BREAKFAST) Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-02-2004 02:37 PM
aluminum foil Don Saklad Historic 7 26-10-2003 04:19 AM
aluminum foil Don Saklad Cooking Equipment 4 24-10-2003 01:49 AM