Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another single-oven temperature compromise

I'm making roast beef, which cooks at 225F for about 3 hours, and au
gratin potatoes, which needs an hour at 375.

What should I do?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> I'm making roast beef, which cooks at 225F for about 3 hours, and au
> gratin potatoes, which needs an hour at 375.
>
> What should I do?

Cook the potatoes ahead of time and re-heat them in the 225 oven or
microwave.

The oven should be 450F, anyway, when you put the roast beef in,
then lowered to 225-250.

=sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I'm making roast beef, which cooks at 225F for about 3 hours, and au
> gratin potatoes, which needs an hour at 375.
>
> What should I do?

Bake the potatoes first and remove from oven. Do beef, and during last
hour put potatoes back in to reheat.
That said-I've never "roasted" anything at such a low temp as 225??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:28:26 -0400, Goomba38 >

>> I'm making roast beef, which cooks at 225F for about 3 hours, and au
>> gratin potatoes, which needs an hour at 375.
>>
>> What should I do?

>Bake the potatoes first and remove from oven. Do beef, and during last
>hour put potatoes back in to reheat.
>That said-I've never "roasted" anything at such a low temp as 225??

Thanks, great idea.

As far as 225, it's from Cook's Illustrated. I've made it twice
before (eye of round), and it's been perfect. Can't wait to get my
beef fix. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> I'm making roast beef, which cooks at 225F for about 3 hours, and au
> gratin potatoes, which needs an hour at 375.
>
> What should I do?

Bake the potatoes longer.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:28:26 -0400, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm making roast beef, which cooks at 225F for about 3 hours, and au
>>> gratin potatoes, which needs an hour at 375.
>>>
>>> What should I do?

>> Bake the potatoes first and remove from oven. Do beef, and during last
>> hour put potatoes back in to reheat.
>> That said-I've never "roasted" anything at such a low temp as 225??

> Thanks, great idea.
>
> As far as 225, it's from Cook's Illustrated. I've made it twice
> before (eye of round), and it's been perfect. Can't wait to get my
> beef fix. :-)

I've done the CI recipe and it works quite well. Will definitely do it
again as I have done with their braised chuck roast recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>I've done the CI recipe and it works quite well. Will definitely do it
>again as I have done with their braised chuck roast recipe.

Another fellow CI'er!

Every time that magazine comes, I want EVERTHING in it...right now!
Last week I made the poached salmon (excellent) and the carnitas
(fantastic!) Also made the stuffed chicken. It was very good, but
too labor-intensive for a Thursday night!

I also subscribe to the website, and we can't wait for the TV show
each week.

I have some dill left over from the salmon. What should I do with it?
That stuff is too expensive to waste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 20 Apr 2008 08:28:26a, Goomba38 told us...

> wrote:
>> I'm making roast beef, which cooks at 225F for about 3 hours, and au
>> gratin potatoes, which needs an hour at 375.
>>
>> What should I do?

> Bake the potatoes first and remove from oven. Do beef, and during last
> hour put potatoes back in to reheat.
> That said-I've never "roasted" anything at such a low temp as 225??

I have, but the recipe I use has a much longer roasting time. It's
delicious prepared that way.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 20 Apr 2008 08:56:54a, told us...

>>I've done the CI recipe and it works quite well. Will definitely do it
>>again as I have done with their braised chuck roast recipe.

> Another fellow CI'er!
>
> Every time that magazine comes, I want EVERTHING in it...right now!
> Last week I made the poached salmon (excellent) and the carnitas
> (fantastic!) Also made the stuffed chicken. It was very good, but
> too labor-intensive for a Thursday night!
>
> I also subscribe to the website, and we can't wait for the TV show
> each week.
>
> I have some dill left over from the salmon. What should I do with it?
> That stuff is too expensive to waste.

I like to add fresh dill to potato or macaroni salad.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 14hrs 50mins
'The happy highway where I went &
cannot come again' - A.E. Houseman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> That said-I've never "roasted" anything at such a low temp as 225??
>>

> I have, but the recipe I use has a much longer roasting time. It's
> delicious prepared that way.

Well dammit..wheres the recipe!?? <stomps foot for emphasis!>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> As far as 225, it's from Cook's Illustrated. I've made it twice
> before (eye of round), and it's been perfect. Can't wait to get my
> beef fix. :-)

I've gone low on temps for roasting, but never quite so low. Since you
mention that you're fixing an Eye Round Roast, this is one of my
favorite recipes for that cut:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Flavorful Beef Eye Round Roast

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Main Dishes

3 1/2 pounds beef eye of round
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon ginger root -- minced
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic -- minced

Combine soy sauce, sherry, lime juice, oil, ginger, honey and garlic.
Place roast in utility dish or plastic bag, add marinade, turning to
coat. marinade in refrigerator 6-8 hours (or overnight) turning
occasionally. Remove from marinade and roast on rack in open pan.
Insert meat thermometer in thickest part. Roast in slow oven, 325
degrees, until thermometer registers 135 degrees. Allow 20-22 min per
pound. Brush meat with reserved marinade during last 20 min of cooking.
Carve into thin slices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 20 Apr 2008 08:56:54a, told us...
>

>>>I've done the CI recipe and it works quite well. Will definitely do it
>>>again as I have done with their braised chuck roast recipe.

>>Another fellow CI'er!
>>
>>Every time that magazine comes, I want EVERTHING in it...right now!
>>Last week I made the poached salmon (excellent) and the carnitas
>>(fantastic!) Also made the stuffed chicken. It was very good, but
>>too labor-intensive for a Thursday night!
>>
>>I also subscribe to the website, and we can't wait for the TV show
>>each week.
>>
>>I have some dill left over from the salmon. What should I do with it?
>>That stuff is too expensive to waste.
>>

> I like to add fresh dill to potato or macaroni salad.

Mince it fine and add it to light sour cream and/or light mayo along
with a little grated fresh onion and some salt and pepper to make a
dipping sauce for raw veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 20 Apr 2008 09:26:08a, Goomba38 told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>> That said-I've never "roasted" anything at such a low temp as 225??
>>>

>> I have, but the recipe I use has a much longer roasting time. It's
>> delicious prepared that way.
>>

> Well dammit..wheres the recipe!?? <stomps foot for emphasis!>

Well, here it is. It may sound a little bizarre, but it's really quite
good, and a great way to make a roast while your away for the day. I tried
doing the same recipe in a CrockPot one time and it was horrible.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Amish Beef Roast

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

4 Pounds Beef Chuck Roast
1 Package Onion Soup Mix
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablestpoon soy sauce, low sodium -- or tamari sauce
1 each bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Heavy Duty Foil

Pulverize onion soup mix in a spice mill or blender.

Use two long sheets of foil. rub onion soup mix and thyme into all surfaces
of roast and place it on top of the bay leaf in center of foil. Drizzle
with worcestershire and soy sauces. (Do not be tempted to add additional
liquid, as it yields a significant amount on its own.) Wrap roast loosely,
but secure enough to hold the juices in. Place in large pan.

Bake 9 hours (yes, 9 hours) at 225 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit
for at least half an hour before serving.

Notes:

If the roast is served still warm from the oven, it must be served in
chunks, as it is too tender to slice.

The roast may be chilled overnight right in the foil. It can be neatly
sliced while chilled, arranged in a baking dish, covered with gravy, and
reheated gently before serving. We think it is actually better served this
way.

The juices make an excellent base for gravy, and should be diluted by at
least half as much or more with water, to taste. If the roast is chilled,
the juices will become jellied. Scrape away from the meat into a saucepan,
mix with water, and thicken with a roux.

"All Day Economy Beef Roast"

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 14hrs 10mins
I could prove God statistically.
--George Gallup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 20 Apr 2008 09:46:37a, Kathleen told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Sun 20 Apr 2008 08:56:54a, told us...

>>>Another fellow CI'er!
>>>
>>>Every time that magazine comes, I want EVERTHING in it...right now!
>>>Last week I made the poached salmon (excellent) and the carnitas
>>>(fantastic!) Also made the stuffed chicken. It was very good, but
>>>too labor-intensive for a Thursday night!
>>>
>>>I also subscribe to the website, and we can't wait for the TV show
>>>each week.
>>>
>>>I have some dill left over from the salmon. What should I do with it?
>>>That stuff is too expensive to waste.
>>>

>> I like to add fresh dill to potato or macaroni salad.
>>

> Mince it fine and add it to light sour cream and/or light mayo along
> with a little grated fresh onion and some salt and pepper to make a
> dipping sauce for raw veggies.

Oh, I forgot about dips. Great idea! Mixed in with just sour cream, it's
also delicious on baked potatoes.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5wks 14hrs 5mins
Government is the great fiction
whereby everyone endeavors to live at
the expense of everyone else
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>> I've done the CI recipe and it works quite well. Will definitely do it
>> again as I have done with their braised chuck roast recipe.

> Another fellow CI'er!
>
> Every time that magazine comes, I want EVERTHING in it...right now!
> Last week I made the poached salmon (excellent) and the carnitas
> (fantastic!) Also made the stuffed chicken. It was very good, but
> too labor-intensive for a Thursday night!
>
> I also subscribe to the website, and we can't wait for the TV show
> each week.
>
> I have some dill left over from the salmon. What should I do with it?
> That stuff is too expensive to waste.

Make pickled beets and onions with dill weed. That should use it up and
it tastes good too. Dill has many culinary uses both for the weed and
the seed. A quick Google search or a hit on one of the recipe sites will
give you more recipes than you can use.

I've never purchased dill, basil, etc. Grows to easy here in the south.
Most of them can even be grown on a window sill in a pot and are ready
for use at any time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...

>>> I have, but the recipe I use has a much longer roasting time. It's
>>> delicious prepared that way.
>>>

>> Well dammit..wheres the recipe!?? <stomps foot for emphasis!>
>>

> Well, here it is. It may sound a little bizarre, but it's really quite
> good, and a great way to make a roast while your away for the day. I
> tried
> doing the same recipe in a CrockPot one time and it was horrible.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Amish Beef Roast
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 4 Pounds Beef Chuck Roast
> 1 Package Onion Soup Mix
> 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
> 1 tablestpoon soy sauce, low sodium -- or tamari sauce
> 1 each bay leaf
> 1 teaspoon dried thyme
> Heavy Duty Foil
>
> Pulverize onion soup mix in a spice mill or blender.
>
> Use two long sheets of foil. rub onion soup mix and thyme into all
> surfaces
> of roast and place it on top of the bay leaf in center of foil. Drizzle
> with worcestershire and soy sauces. (Do not be tempted to add additional
> liquid, as it yields a significant amount on its own.) Wrap roast
> loosely,
> but secure enough to hold the juices in. Place in large pan.
>
> Bake 9 hours (yes, 9 hours) at 225 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit
> for at least half an hour before serving.
>
> Notes:
>
> If the roast is served still warm from the oven, it must be served in
> chunks, as it is too tender to slice.
>
> The roast may be chilled overnight right in the foil. It can be neatly
> sliced while chilled, arranged in a baking dish, covered with gravy, and
> reheated gently before serving. We think it is actually better served
> this
> way.
>
> The juices make an excellent base for gravy, and should be diluted by at
> least half as much or more with water, to taste. If the roast is chilled,
> the juices will become jellied. Scrape away from the meat into a
> saucepan,
> mix with water, and thicken with a roux.

> "All Day Economy Beef Roast"
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Thanks for the recipe. This reminds me of one my father used to make. It
was called "Workperson's Roast," and it was delicious. Here's the recipe he
used:

WORKPERSON'S ROAST
(Dad's Favorite)

1 Roast (may be beef or pork; expensive cuts do not taste better than
inexpensive ones; size is determined by need)
1 pkg. Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 Can (8 oz.) Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Section Fresh Garlic

Place the roast in center of large sheet of aluminum foil wrap; cut slits in
roast and push in cut sections of fresh garlic. Pour mushroom soup over
roast; pour the Worcestershire sauce over soup. Sprinkle dry soup over
that. Add seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Add meat tenderizer,
depending on cut of meat.
Pull foil up and seal across top and ends; be sure it is sealed tightly,
leaving space above and around roast. Place in cake pan and put in oven at
250 degrees from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Your roast is tender and juicy and your
gravy is made, too. Enjoy it.

Source: A Collection of the Very Finest Recipes Ever Assembled Into One
Cookbook
Becker Publications
Hayward, California
--
MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> I'm making roast beef, which cooks at 225F for about 3 hours, and au
> gratin potatoes, which needs an hour at 375.
>
> What should I do?

Roast the meat in the smoker.

BOB