Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thai Beef Salad

Last night the vegetarians and cilantro-haters in my family were all
away, so I got to make something just for me. I don't participate
much in this newsgroup, but I enjoyed this so much that I thought I
should share it with you.

Thai Beef Salad (Serves 4)

3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cilantro (coriander) roots, chopped
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
2 tbsp. oil

1 lb. sirloin steak
1 tbsp. oil
1 head green leaf or other lettuce, washed, torn into pieces
6 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
3 oz. cucumber, sliced thin
4 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (coriander leaves)

Dressing

2 tbsp. nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. chopped fresh red chile
2 tsp. brown sugar

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a mortar and smoosh them into a
paste with the pestle. Smear the steak with the paste, top and
bottom.

Make the dressing: Combine dressing ingredients and stir until sugar
is dissolved.

Sear the steak: Heat the 1 tbsp. oil in a heavy skillet over fairly
high heat until smoking. Drop the steak in and leave it undisturbed
for 3-4 minutes. There will be a fair amount of smoke, so turn on the
exhaust fan or remove the batteries from your smoke detector till
you're done :-) Turn the steak over and do the other side for another
3-4 minutes, then remove to a plate and let cool. What you're after
is an almost burned outside and a warm, but raw or damn close to it,
inside.

Make the salad:

Spread the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and scallions on one large
plate or 4 individual-serving-sized ones.

Slice the steak thinly and distribute on top of the salad. Sprinkle
the chopped cilantro on top, then drizzle the dressing over that.
Serve immediately.

(I made ~ 1/2 recipe and it was definitely enough for two people, or
in my case, one dinner and today's lunch!)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Last night the vegetarians and cilantro-haters in my family were all
> away, so I got to make something just for me. I don't participate
> much in this newsgroup, but I enjoyed this so much that I thought I
> should share it with you.
>
> Thai Beef Salad (Serves 4)

It sounds wonderful to me. I love cilantro and beef. Can you tell me
what is actually in "nam pla" ? Is is made from fish or just called
that for whatever reason? I can't do fish, but would hate to miss out
on a necessary flavor? If it does contain fish, is there something
similar I could substitute?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Can you tell me what is actually in "nam pla"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> Can you tell me what is actually in "nam pla"?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce

<sigh> well that sucks.
Would hoison be a passable substitute, do you think?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 1:59 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > Last night the vegetarians and cilantro-haters in my family were all
> > away, so I got to make something just for me. I don't participate
> > much in this newsgroup, but I enjoyed this so much that I thought I
> > should share it with you.

> > Thai Beef Salad (Serves 4)

> It sounds wonderful to me. I love cilantro and beef. Can you tell me
> what is actually in "nam pla" ? Is is made from fish or just called
> that for whatever reason? I can't do fish, but would hate to miss out
> on a necessary flavor? If it does contain fish, is there something
> similar I could substitute?

Sorry, it's definitely made from fish. This is a pretty neat
explanation:
http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/fea...ishsauce1.html

As far as substitutions are concerned, (and I realize I'm venturing
onto dangerous ground with the purists here), you might consider
Worcestershire sauce (although that also contains a bit of fish
extracts), or perhaps just some salty beef bouillon. Whatever you can
think of that would substitute for fermented anchovies should work :-)

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote in message
. ..
> The Ranger wrote:
>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>>> Can you tell me what is actually in "nam pla"?

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce

> <sigh> well that sucks.
> Would hoison be a passable substitute, do you think?

Uhm... I don't know. Steve W (or even Steve Pope) might though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:
> > "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> >> Can you tell me what is actually in "nam pla"?

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce
> >

> <sigh> well that sucks.
> Would hoison be a passable substitute, do you think?

No. If you can handle shrimp, then a bit of shrimp paste in
a light soy sauce is somewhere in the right ballpark. If not,
just use soy sauce (sparingly).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:
>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>>> Can you tell me what is actually in "nam pla"?

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce
>>

> <sigh> well that sucks.
> Would hoison be a passable substitute, do you think?

There is no substitute for fish sauce, except maybe a pair of crusty
5-day old socks steeped in hot water. That would at least provide
the aroma of fish sauce.

Why can't you do fish [sauce]? It's really just fish juice,
fermented.

Vietnamese shrimp paste (AKA shrimp fry) would be the next best
thing to fish sauce.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
> > The Ranger wrote:
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce
> >>

> > <sigh> well that sucks.
> > Would hoison be a passable substitute, do you think?

> There is no substitute for fish sauce, except maybe a pair of crusty
> 5-day old socks steeped in hot water. That would at least provide
> the aroma of fish sauce.
>
> Why can't you do fish [sauce]? It's really just fish juice,
> fermented.

Allergies, I'm guessing.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:12:03 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>The Ranger wrote:
>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>>> Can you tell me what is actually in "nam pla"?

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce
>>

><sigh> well that sucks.
>Would hoison be a passable substitute, do you think?

are you sure your allergies are severe enough to kick in from this?
do you shy away from worcestershire as well? (not trying to be a wise
guy here.) if you've eaten any vietnamese chow, you've surely
encountered it before.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

> are you sure your allergies are severe enough to kick in from this?
> do you shy away from worcestershire as well? (not trying to be a wise
> guy here.) if you've eaten any vietnamese chow, you've surely
> encountered it before.

I would think that whatever the allergen in fish is would be
denatured by the time it emerges as fish sauce.

I used to be allergic to red shellfish, but I could always eat dried
shrimp and fermented shrimp paste/sauces. Now I've beat the
shellfish allergy almost completely by persistently building up a
tolerance and making sure I eat some almost every week.

Should I go a whole month without eating any sort of shellfish, I'd
have to be careful not to eat too much. I can tell right away if
I'm going to get a reaction since I catch a buzz on the first taste.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:12:03 -0400, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
>> The Ranger wrote:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce
>>>

>> <sigh> well that sucks.
>> Would hoison be a passable substitute, do you think?

> are you sure your allergies are severe enough to kick in from this?
> do you shy away from worcestershire as well? (not trying to be a wise
> guy here.) if you've eaten any vietnamese chow, you've surely
> encountered it before.
>
> your pal,
> blake

You're right, and I don't shy away from Worcestershire but I don't use
it often either. It is always very dilute in whatever it is going in.

I ate classic Caesar salad at The Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans
once. I first asked the waitress preparing it table side to skip the
anchovies and she refused saying it wouldn't be a proper salad that they
were known for. Admittedly I was a tad squeamish but was oblivious to
their presence once prepared. I'm sort of glad she refused and I had no
ill effects. I used to skeeve my father's oily anchovy sandwiches as a
kid-bleck! He adored them.
Half my family devours seafood with gusto and no ill effects but the
other half is allergic. My brother's lips used to swell up good but I
think he's actually outgrown it? My father would make all sorts of
Italian seafood things and my mother, brother and I would just eat
something else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini > wrote:

> Allan just recently developed an allergy to shellfish! What happens to you
> with yours? With him, any place he scratches, he breaks out in huge hive
> streaks, and they last for a couple of weeks.

My lips and tongue would get itchy, hurt and hive, followed by a
really nasty taste in the mouth, then upheaval. Throat would burn
like crazy. That's when I learned to start eating shellfish slowly.
Take one small bite (1 square cm) and wait 3 minutes before
proceeding with any more. I'd get a really nice mellow buzz with
only a small bite if I was going to have a reaction.

Now that I'm desensitized by eating larger and larger portions (1
gram for a few weeks, then a half a shrimp, then whole shrimp, then
as much as you want). I now only occasionally feel it after large
portions when I take a dump - a slight burning ring of fire. It's
those mucous membranes that are the most sensitive to it.

ObFood: I've got a big Crock Pot full of beans simmering away. I've
never done them in the CP. Rehydrated pintos, onions, bacon,
ketchup, worcestershire, tomato paste, can of diced tomatoes,
garlic, mustard powder, fresh ground mora-chipotle, Matouk's
habanero sauce, BBQ sauce, liquid smoke, cumin, brown sugar, salt.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > blake murphy > wrote:
> >
> >> are you sure your allergies are severe enough to kick in from this?
> >> do you shy away from worcestershire as well? (not trying to be a
> >> wise guy here.) if you've eaten any vietnamese chow, you've surely
> >> encountered it before.

> > I would think that whatever the allergen in fish is would be
> > denatured by the time it emerges as fish sauce.
> >
> > I used to be allergic to red shellfish, but I could always eat dried
> > shrimp and fermented shrimp paste/sauces. Now I've beat the
> > shellfish allergy almost completely by persistently building up a
> > tolerance and making sure I eat some almost every week.
> >
> > Should I go a whole month without eating any sort of shellfish, I'd
> > have to be careful not to eat too much. I can tell right away if
> > I'm going to get a reaction since I catch a buzz on the first taste.
> >
> > -sw

> Allan just recently developed an allergy to shellfish! What happens to you
> with yours? With him, any place he scratches, he breaks out in huge hive
> streaks, and they last for a couple of weeks.
>
> kili

Just in case you may have heart problems. Note Shellfish because when
it coursing through your veins ....Not Good.

I know.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bill wrote:

> Just in case you may have heart problems. Note Shellfish because when
> it coursing through your veins ....Not Good.
>
> I know.
>
> Bill

I'm trying to understand what you're saying here? Which heart problems
are you saying a shellfish allergy affects?
Can you explain further, please?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
>> Just in case you may have heart problems. Note Shellfish because when
>> it coursing through your veins ....Not Good.
>>
>> I know.

> I'm trying to understand what you're saying here? Which heart problems
> are you saying a shellfish allergy affects?
> Can you explain further, please?

I would guess he's referring to cholesterol.

There's will always be one person in the thread who will rain on the
parade. Heck, you can't even mention that you like water without
getting a lecture on the health hazards of water.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Just in case you may have heart problems. Note Shellfish because when
>>> it coursing through your veins ....Not Good.
>>>
>>> I know.

>> I'm trying to understand what you're saying here? Which heart problems
>> are you saying a shellfish allergy affects?
>> Can you explain further, please?

> I would guess he's referring to cholesterol.
>
> There's will always be one person in the thread who will rain on the
> parade. Heck, you can't even mention that you like water without
> getting a lecture on the health hazards of water.
>
> -sw

<slaps head> Cholesterol! Geez. I thought he was trying to make some
correlation between allergies and the heart?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > Last night the vegetarians and cilantro-haters in my family were all
> > away, so I got to make something just for me. I don't participate
> > much in this newsgroup, but I enjoyed this so much that I thought I
> > should share it with you.
> >
> > Thai Beef Salad (Serves 4)

> It sounds wonderful to me. I love cilantro and beef. Can you tell me
> what is actually in "nam pla" ? Is is made from fish or just called
> that for whatever reason?

It's just rotten fish juice. Some people (like me) don't like it very
well. A little bit adds a lot of depth of flavor, but very much and it
makes it taste very fishy to me (and I eat fish).

> I can't do fish, but would hate to miss out
> on a necessary flavor? If it does contain fish, is there something
> similar I could substitute?

There is no substitute, but it takes very little to add flavor, and
there are no solids, if that might be what bothers you.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:27:26 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:12:03 -0400, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:

>>> <sigh> well that sucks.
>>> Would hoison be a passable substitute, do you think?

>> are you sure your allergies are severe enough to kick in from this?
>> do you shy away from worcestershire as well? (not trying to be a wise
>> guy here.) if you've eaten any vietnamese chow, you've surely
>> encountered it before.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>You're right, and I don't shy away from Worcestershire but I don't use
>it often either. It is always very dilute in whatever it is going in.
>
>I ate classic Caesar salad at The Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans
>once. I first asked the waitress preparing it table side to skip the
>anchovies and she refused saying it wouldn't be a proper salad that they
>were known for. Admittedly I was a tad squeamish but was oblivious to
>their presence once prepared. I'm sort of glad she refused and I had no
>ill effects. I used to skeeve my father's oily anchovy sandwiches as a
>kid-bleck! He adored them.
> Half my family devours seafood with gusto and no ill effects but the
>other half is allergic. My brother's lips used to swell up good but I
>think he's actually outgrown it? My father would make all sorts of
>Italian seafood things and my mother, brother and I would just eat
>something else.

then maybe you could try a little nam pla and see what happens. more
anchovies than in worcestershire, but maybe steve's onto something
with the 'denatured' thing. have you tried googling on the subject?

your pal,
blake