Is there a good alternative to PAM spray?

Old 18-04-2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is there a good alternative to PAM spray?

PAM spray is great except for its delivery system -- if I use it everyday it
is fine, but if I use it sporadically it hardens and clogs up the nozzle,
and I end up tossing it away when it becomes gungy looking, wasting it. Who
wants to soak and clean the sray head every time you use a tiny squirt.

I have tried using oils and greases as a substitute in baking, etc. but
nothing beats PAM for this. Does anybody know of a substitute that works as
well that you can just brush or wipe on?

Old 18-04-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 18 Apr 2008 10:22:03a, Buddy told us...

PAM spray is great except for its delivery system -- if I use it
everyday it is fine, but if I use it sporadically it hardens and clogs
up the nozzle, and I end up tossing it away when it becomes gungy
looking, wasting it. Who wants to soak and clean the sray head every
time you use a tiny squirt.

I have tried using oils and greases as a substitute in baking, etc. but
nothing beats PAM for this. Does anybody know of a substitute that works
as well that you can just brush or wipe on?

I switched from Pam to the new Crisco spray some time ago. I like it much
better, and have never had the nozzle clog. Having said that, for many
things I use either olive oil or vegetable oil that I brush on with a nylon
pastry brush.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 04(IV)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Old 18-04-2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Buddy wrote:
PAM spray is great except for its delivery system -- if I use it everyday it
is fine, but if I use it sporadically it hardens and clogs up the nozzle,
and I end up tossing it away when it becomes gungy looking, wasting it. Who
wants to soak and clean the sray head every time you use a tiny squirt.

I have tried using oils and greases as a substitute in baking, etc. but
nothing beats PAM for this. Does anybody know of a substitute that works as
well that you can just brush or wipe on?

vegetable oil brushed on thin.
Old 18-04-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 17:22:03 GMT, "Buddy"
wrote:

PAM spray is great except for its delivery system -- if I use it everyday it
is fine, but if I use it sporadically it hardens and clogs up the nozzle,
and I end up tossing it away when it becomes gungy looking, wasting it. Who
wants to soak and clean the sray head every time you use a tiny squirt.

I have tried using oils and greases as a substitute in baking, etc. but
nothing beats PAM for this. Does anybody know of a substitute that works as
well that you can just brush or wipe on?

I buy the BJs house brand of spray and the nozzle has never clogged. I
get two large cans for a bit more than the price of one smaller PAM.

And it lasts forever without going rancid.

Boron
Old 18-04-2008, 07:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

When I say sporadic usage, I actually mean more like rare usage, so it sits
in the cupboard long periods. This makes it even more costly having to toss
it because I end up using very little of it.

Isn't there a lecithin and/or other component that makes those PAM,
Crisco-type sprays a better separator than plain oils? It would seem that
whatever the mixture is it would be available in forms other than areosols.

Old 18-04-2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:44:42 -0400, Goomba38
wrote:

Buddy wrote:
PAM spray is great except for its delivery system -- if I use it everyday it
is fine, but if I use it sporadically it hardens and clogs up the nozzle,
and I end up tossing it away when it becomes gungy looking, wasting it. Who
wants to soak and clean the sray head every time you use a tiny squirt.

I have tried using oils and greases as a substitute in baking, etc. but
nothing beats PAM for this. Does anybody know of a substitute that works as
well that you can just brush or wipe on?

vegetable oil brushed on thin.

But brushing really does not work as well for, say, greasing and/or
flouring cake pans or a bowl for proofing dough.

Boron
Old 18-04-2008, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Buddy wrote:
PAM spray is great except for its delivery system -- if I use it everyday it
is fine, but if I use it sporadically it hardens and clogs up the nozzle,
and I end up tossing it away when it becomes gungy looking, wasting it. Who
wants to soak and clean the sray head every time you use a tiny squirt.

I have tried using oils and greases as a substitute in baking, etc. but
nothing beats PAM for this. Does anybody know of a substitute that works as
well that you can just brush or wipe on?

Yes, liquid lecithin, which is available in pint bottles (maybe it's a
quart) at health food stores. It's pretty thick, so you might want to
dilute it with a little canola oil or alcohol. A bottle of the stuff
lasts about forever.
Old 18-04-2008, 07:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Buddy" wrote in message
PAM spray is great except for its delivery system -- if I use it everyday
it
is fine, but if I use it sporadically it hardens and clogs up the nozzle,
and I end up tossing it away when it becomes gungy looking, wasting it.
Who
wants to soak and clean the sray head every time you use a tiny squirt.

I have tried using oils and greases as a substitute in baking, etc. but
nothing beats PAM for this. Does anybody know of a substitute that works
as
well that you can just brush or wipe on?

Just turn the can upside down and use that for the last spritz on the pan.
That will clean the nozel for the next time.

Paul

Old 18-04-2008, 08:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Buddy wrote:
PAM spray is great except for its delivery system -- if I use it everyday it
is fine, but if I use it sporadically it hardens and clogs up the nozzle,
and I end up tossing it away when it becomes gungy looking, wasting it. Who
wants to soak and clean the sray head every time you use a tiny squirt.

I have tried using oils and greases as a substitute in baking, etc. but
nothing beats PAM for this. Does anybody know of a substitute that works as
well that you can just brush or wipe on?

vegetable oil brushed on thin.

But brushing really does not work as well for, say, greasing and/or
flouring cake pans or a bowl for proofing dough.

Suprised to hear that from you... professional bakers grease pans by
brushing with solid shortening... none use a spray, they value their
lungs.

Old 18-04-2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I do that with paint and it works but it when you do it with the PAM you
still have to soak the nozzle in boiling water to get it clean. I'm going to
try the liquid lecithin.

Old 18-04-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Buddy wrote:

I do that with paint and it works but it when you do it with the PAM you
still have to soak the nozzle in boiling water to get it clean. I'm going to
try the liquid lecithin.

I have had Pam on hand for years and rarely use it. It has never clogged up on
me.

Old 18-04-2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

I have had Pam on hand for years and rarely use it. It has never clogged up on
me.

I can't say I've ever had the problem the OP refers to either?
Old 18-04-2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:

I have had Pam on hand for years and rarely use it. It has never
clogged up on me.

I can't say I've ever had the problem the OP refers to either?

Neither have I. I don't use PAM cooking spray much but I keep a can of it
around. I wonder if there's some other factor (humidity?!) involved.

Jill

Old 19-04-2008, 04:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" wrote in message
. ..
Dave Smith wrote:

I have had Pam on hand for years and rarely use it. It has never clogged
up on
me.

I can't say I've ever had the problem the OP refers to either?

I just had my second can of the high temp grill version go bad on me
tonight. Ran out of propellant and left at least a third of a can. They
have an 800 number to call if you have a problem. They will send you a
coupon for a replacement.