Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Melting Chocolate Gone Wrong

I thought I had melted chocolate (Nestle morsels) in the microwave
on medium-low setting before, stirring often, but something really
went wrong last time I tried this: It turned into what looks like a
brick of cocoa.

It's crumbly and looks dry. But it tastes fine - Heck maybe even
better tasting then when it was in morsel form. Has a nice crumbly
texture, not smooth, but it smooths out in the mouth. Not really
dry at all, not as dry as it looks. When it happened I just let it
cool and stuck it all in all in a plastic bag and tried to forget
about it... until now.

What did the microwave do to it? And is there a way to bring this
back to a smooth melted consistency for dipping? (for my lace
cookies).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I thought I had melted chocolate (Nestle morsels) in the microwave
> on medium-low setting before, stirring often, but something really
> went wrong last time I tried this: It turned into what looks like a
> brick of cocoa.
>
> It's crumbly and looks dry. But it tastes fine - Heck maybe even
> better tasting then when it was in morsel form. Has a nice crumbly
> texture, not smooth, but it smooths out in the mouth. Not really
> dry at all, not as dry as it looks. When it happened I just let it
> cool and stuck it all in all in a plastic bag and tried to forget
> about it... until now.
>
> What did the microwave do to it? And is there a way to bring this
> back to a smooth melted consistency for dipping? (for my lace
> cookies).
>
> -sw

I don't know what happened, but I'm never going to do the
microwave/chocolate melt thing again. . .I grabbed the melamine dish after
melting the chocolate the other day and promptly threw it at the wall. Damn
that was hot -- I toasted my entire index finger and a good portion of my
thumb. It's a pot on the stove for me for now on. ;o[
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:16:08 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>What did the microwave do to it?

It seized. Don't blame the microwave....and I would start with a
BETTER chocolate with a higher cocoa fat content.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I thought I had melted chocolate (Nestle morsels) in the
> microwave on medium-low setting before, stirring often, but
> something really went wrong last time I tried this: It
> turned into what looks like a brick of cocoa.

I can't believe you aren't familiar with
chocolate seizing. Usually the result of
too much exposure to water or steam.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> I thought I had melted chocolate (Nestle morsels) in the microwave
> on medium-low setting before, stirring often, but something really
> went wrong last time I tried this: It turned into what looks like a
> brick of cocoa.
>
> It's crumbly and looks dry. But it tastes fine - Heck maybe even
> better tasting then when it was in morsel form. Has a nice crumbly
> texture, not smooth, but it smooths out in the mouth. Not really
> dry at all, not as dry as it looks. When it happened I just let it
> cool and stuck it all in all in a plastic bag and tried to forget
> about it... until now.
>
> What did the microwave do to it? And is there a way to bring this
> back to a smooth melted consistency for dipping? (for my lace
> cookies).
>
> -sw

Add a teaspoon of shortening or oil.
A drop of moisture will cause the melting chocolate to seize up; lots of
liquid will not. Go figure. One of life's true mysteries.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>I thought I had melted chocolate (Nestle morsels) in the microwave
> on medium-low setting before, stirring often, but something really
> went wrong last time I tried this: It turned into what looks like a
> brick of cocoa.
>
> It's crumbly and looks dry. But it tastes fine - Heck maybe even
> better tasting then when it was in morsel form. Has a nice crumbly
> texture, not smooth, but it smooths out in the mouth. Not really
> dry at all, not as dry as it looks. When it happened I just let it
> cool and stuck it all in all in a plastic bag and tried to forget
> about it... until now.
>
> What did the microwave do to it? And is there a way to bring this
> back to a smooth melted consistency for dipping? (for my lace
> cookies).

Add some butter.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Add a teaspoon of shortening or oil.
> A drop of moisture will cause the melting chocolate to seize up; lots of
> liquid will not. Go figure. One of life's true mysteries.

I thought maybe I triggered some sort of alien phenomenon and here
you tell me this is a well-known occurrence? And that I didn't
already know this?

I'm speechless.

-sw <pouting>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> I thought I had melted chocolate (Nestle morsels) in the microwave
>> on medium-low setting before, stirring often, but something really
>> went wrong last time I tried this: It turned into what looks like a
>> brick of cocoa.
>>
>> It's crumbly and looks dry. But it tastes fine - Heck maybe even
>> better tasting then when it was in morsel form. Has a nice crumbly
>> texture, not smooth, but it smooths out in the mouth. Not really
>> dry at all, not as dry as it looks. When it happened I just let it
>> cool and stuck it all in all in a plastic bag and tried to forget
>> about it... until now.
>>
>> What did the microwave do to it? And is there a way to bring this
>> back to a smooth melted consistency for dipping? (for my lace
>> cookies).
>>
>> -sw

> I don't know what happened, but I'm never going to do the
> microwave/chocolate melt thing again. . .I grabbed the melamine dish after
> melting the chocolate the other day and promptly threw it at the wall. Damn
> that was hot -- I toasted my entire index finger and a good portion of my
> thumb. It's a pot on the stove for me for now on. ;o[
> Janet

I did the same thing a few weeks ago....It was a pyrex measuring cup.

--
-Gina in Italy

All hail the pizza lord!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Add a teaspoon of shortening or oil.
>> A drop of moisture will cause the melting chocolate to seize up; lots of
>> liquid will not. Go figure. One of life's true mysteries.

> I thought maybe I triggered some sort of alien phenomenon and here
> you tell me this is a well-known occurrence? And that I didn't
> already know this?
>
> I'm speechless.
>
> -sw <pouting>

And cookieless. Make a ganache next time by melting equal weights of cream
and chocolate together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:

snip
>> I don't know what happened, but I'm never going to do the
>> microwave/chocolate melt thing again. . .I grabbed the melamine dish
>> after melting the chocolate the other day and promptly threw it at
>> the wall. Damn that was hot -- I toasted my entire index finger and
>> a good portion of my thumb. It's a pot on the stove for me for now
>> on. ;o[ Janet
>>

> I did the same thing a few weeks ago....It was a pyrex measuring cup.
>
> --
> -Gina in Italy

Really??? I thought it was me being stupid because I used melamine.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 22:35:06 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Add a teaspoon of shortening or oil.
>> A drop of moisture will cause the melting chocolate to seize up; lots of
>> liquid will not. Go figure. One of life's true mysteries.

>I thought maybe I triggered some sort of alien phenomenon and here
>you tell me this is a well-known occurrence? And that I didn't
>already know this?
>
>I'm speechless.
>
>-sw <pouting>

perhaps you were out sick the day they covered this at school.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> ravenlynne wrote:
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:

> snip
>>> I don't know what happened, but I'm never going to do the
>>> microwave/chocolate melt thing again. . .I grabbed the melamine dish
>>> after melting the chocolate the other day and promptly threw it at
>>> the wall. Damn that was hot -- I toasted my entire index finger and
>>> a good portion of my thumb. It's a pot on the stove for me for now
>>> on. ;o[ Janet
>>>

>> I did the same thing a few weeks ago....It was a pyrex measuring cup.
>>
>> --
>> -Gina in Italy
>>

> Really??? I thought it was me being stupid because I used melamine.
> Janet

Nope...it was the chocolate. (I used baker's...will never again.)

--
-Gina in Italy

All hail the pizza lord!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> Nope...it was the chocolate. (I used baker's...will never again.)

Someone needs to tell me what the problem is with Baker's brand
chocolate. I use it for brownies. I like the recipe on the box. I
find it easy since it involves melting the chocolate and butter in one
(glass) bowl in the microwave, then mixing the rest of the ingredients
to that bowl. Minimum clean-up.

When a friend visited recently, we said we'd make a birthday cake for
her daughters while they were here. She said she didn't care for
Baker's, offered to bring some her Hershey's stash, and I went wild
buying chocolate so we could compare. (When her local supermarket
stopped carrying Hershey's, she ordered a case.) I bought: Scharffen
Berger, Green & Black's, Trader Joe's Belgian Baking Chocolate, and
Ghiradelli. We made the cake out of the Trader Joe's. It came out fine.

But when I asked her what it was about Baker's that she didn't like, she
wasn't sure. What is it that people don't like about Baker's? I
generally only make brownies and maybe don't know as much about
subtleties of flavor and performance in finer pastries. What are
ya'll's favorites, and for what, and why?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> But when I asked her what it was about Baker's that she didn't like, she
> wasn't sure. What is it that people don't like about Baker's? I
> generally only make brownies and maybe don't know as much about
> subtleties of flavor and performance in finer pastries. What are
> ya'll's favorites, and for what, and why?

Bakers is fine in my books. We don't have a lot of choice, just Bakers No
Name or bulk. They seem to be the same to me. I have never been a fan of
Hershey's chocolate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> ravenlynne wrote:
> >
> > Nope...it was the chocolate. (I used baker's...will never again.)

> Someone needs to tell me what the problem is with Baker's brand
> chocolate. I use it for brownies. I like the recipe on the box. I
> find it easy since it involves melting the chocolate and butter in one
> (glass) bowl in the microwave, then mixing the rest of the ingredients
> to that bowl. Minimum clean-up.
>
> When a friend visited recently, we said we'd make a birthday cake for
> her daughters while they were here. She said she didn't care for
> Baker's, offered to bring some her Hershey's stash, and I went wild
> buying chocolate so we could compare. (When her local supermarket
> stopped carrying Hershey's, she ordered a case.) I bought: Scharffen
> Berger, Green & Black's, Trader Joe's Belgian Baking Chocolate, and
> Ghiradelli. We made the cake out of the Trader Joe's. It came out fine.
>
> But when I asked her what it was about Baker's that she didn't like, she
> wasn't sure. What is it that people don't like about Baker's? I
> generally only make brownies and maybe don't know as much about
> subtleties of flavor and performance in finer pastries. What are
> ya'll's favorites, and for what, and why?
>
> --Lia

My family and I have used Baker's chocolates for years, especially for
the Chocolate Ice Box Cake recipe. Can't say that I've used the Baker's
chocolate all that often, perhaps once or twice a year, but know of
nothing wrong with it. I've also used Ghiradelli and like it, also.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Add a teaspoon of shortening or oil.
> > A drop of moisture will cause the melting chocolate to seize up; lots of
> > liquid will not. Go figure. One of life's true mysteries.

> I thought maybe I triggered some sort of alien phenomenon and here
> you tell me this is a well-known occurrence? And that I didn't
> already know this?
>
> I'm speechless.
>
> -sw <pouting>

?? You didn't know that a drop of water in melting chocolate will
cause it to seize? Huh. EVerybodyt knows *that*, Steve.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> ravenlynne wrote:
>>
>> Nope...it was the chocolate. (I used baker's...will never again.)

> Someone needs to tell me what the problem is with Baker's brand
> chocolate. I use it for brownies. I like the recipe on the box. I
> find it easy since it involves melting the chocolate and butter in one
> (glass) bowl in the microwave, then mixing the rest of the ingredients
> to that bowl. Minimum clean-up.
>

> When a friend visited recently, we said we'd make a birthday cake for
> her daughters while they were here. She said she didn't care for
> Baker's, offered to bring some her Hershey's stash, and I went wild
> buying chocolate so we could compare. (When her local supermarket
> stopped carrying Hershey's, she ordered a case.) I bought: Scharffen
> Berger, Green & Black's, Trader Joe's Belgian Baking Chocolate, and
> Ghiradelli. We made the cake out of the Trader Joe's. It came out fine.
>

> But when I asked her what it was about Baker's that she didn't like, she
> wasn't sure. What is it that people don't like about Baker's? I
> generally only make brownies and maybe don't know as much about
> subtleties of flavor and performance in finer pastries. What are
> ya'll's favorites, and for what, and why?
>

> --Lia

I don't care for the taste, personally...I'd rather spend a bit more on
something I like. Tastes vary wildly, though....I know people who adore
bakers.

--
-Gina in Italy

All hail the pizza lord!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>

>> But when I asked her what it was about Baker's that she didn't like, she
>> wasn't sure. What is it that people don't like about Baker's? I
>> generally only make brownies and maybe don't know as much about
>> subtleties of flavor and performance in finer pastries. What are
>> ya'll's favorites, and for what, and why?

> Bakers is fine in my books. We don't have a lot of choice, just Bakers No
> Name or bulk. They seem to be the same to me. I have never been a fan of
> Hershey's chocolate.

Hersheys doesn't melt right at all to me.

--
-Gina in Italy

All hail the pizza lord!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> ?? You didn't know that a drop of water in melting chocolate will
> cause it to seize? Huh. EVerybodyt knows *that*, Steve.

I don't do much baking/candy-making. I prefer to cook things that
used to walk, fly, and swim.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > ha scritto nel messaggio
What are
> ya'll's favorites, and for what, and why?
>

> --Lia

Valrhona here. Not easy to find in Peruginaland, either, but everything
chocolate I make is that much better with it. I am not passionate about
chocolate at all, but all cooks have to make somethings chocolate!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> I don't care for the taste, personally...I'd rather spend a bit more on
> something I like. Tastes vary wildly, though....I know people who adore
> bakers.

Then it's a matter of comparitive taste test. With wine tastings, you
usually get the different sorts lined up so you can try them side by
side. With brownies, well, I suppose I could freeze and label them, but
I'm not likely to go to that much trouble.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I thought I had melted chocolate (Nestle morsels) in the microwave
>on medium-low setting before, stirring often, but something really
>went wrong last time I tried this: It turned into what looks like a
>brick of cocoa.
>
>It's crumbly and looks dry. But it tastes fine - Heck maybe even
>better tasting then when it was in morsel form. Has a nice crumbly
>texture, not smooth, but it smooths out in the mouth. Not really
>dry at all, not as dry as it looks. When it happened I just let it
>cool and stuck it all in all in a plastic bag and tried to forget
>about it... until now.
>
>What did the microwave do to it? And is there a way to bring this
>back to a smooth melted consistency for dipping? (for my lace
>cookies).
>
>-sw

It was overheated and it untempered it... overheated chocolate goes
all crumbly and has a weird texture/look, but as you found out, it
still tastes like chocolate - you just can't DO anything with it!