Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sunday Dinner? and curse you, notbob! ;)

You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot
of corn chowder in the works

What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob?

Yeah! Take that, notbob!

> It was 80 degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F.
> I've got a pot of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?

It's the last hurrah for pot roast until next fall. It's been cooking
all day and it smells great.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
> degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot
> of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?

We're taking the white meat from the roasted chicken, some bread
made from my sourdough starter, and some red onions, and making
barbecue-chicken pizza.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was
> 80 degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've
> got a pot of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>
> Jill

Cornish hens with lemon-garlic-thyme butter (a recipe I remember from my
whole foods days)

Whack-a-biscuits that were on clearance for .13 (they expire today; I
can't make 'em that cheap!)

frozen broccoli in cheese sauce that Ellie asked me to buy.

Saerah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Sprat > wrote in
:

> jmcquown wrote:
>> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It
>> was 80 degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F.
>> I've got a pot of corn chowder in the works
>>
>> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>>

> We're taking the white meat from the roasted chicken, some bread
> made from my sourdough starter, and some red onions, and making
> barbecue-chicken pizza.
>
> Serene

Sourdough pizza? Tres awesome!

Saerah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah gray wrote:
> Serene Sprat > wrote in

>> We're taking the white meat from the roasted chicken, some bread
>> made from my sourdough starter, and some red onions, and making
>> barbecue-chicken pizza.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> Sourdough pizza? Tres awesome!

I'll let you know. Issa 'speriment. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah gray wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It
>> was 80 degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F.
>> I've got a pot of corn chowder in the works
>>
>> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Cornish hens with lemon-garlic-thyme butter (a recipe I remember from
> my whole foods days)

I roasted a cornish hen the other night, brushed with lemon-tarragon-butter
Mmmmm

> Whack-a-biscuits that were on clearance for .13 (they expire today; I
> can't make 'em that cheap!)

Can't really beat that!

> frozen broccoli in cheese sauce that Ellie asked me to buy.
>
> Saerah

Thanks for reminding me I still have fresh broccoli I need to use, probably
tomorrow.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> sarah gray wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It
>>> was 80 degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F.
>>> I've got a pot of corn chowder in the works
>>>
>>> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Cornish hens with lemon-garlic-thyme butter (a recipe I remember from
>> my whole foods days)
>>

> I roasted a cornish hen the other night, brushed with
> lemon-tarragon-butter Mmmmm
>
>> Whack-a-biscuits that were on clearance for .13 (they expire today; I
>> can't make 'em that cheap!)
>>

> Can't really beat that!

Ellie is excited since she gets to "make" 'em

>> frozen broccoli in cheese sauce that Ellie asked me to buy.
>>
>> Saerah

> Thanks for reminding me I still have fresh broccoli I need to use,
> probably tomorrow.

I once had a head I forgot about for a couple weeks. Stuff is pretty
forgiving

Saerah
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
> degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot
> of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?

We had Cuban bean soup with fresh green beans on the side.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80 degrees
> the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot of corn
> chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>
> Jill

It's sunny, but not too warm here, so I'm going ahead with the roast I intended for
yesterday, but didn't feel well enough to make. I've tossed in some carrots and
quartered Yukon golds to be smashed later ;-)

Green beans, tomato-avocado salad, and some dinner rolls will round out the meal.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
> degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot
> of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?

I made cannelloni. It will be ready soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Mar 2008 02:25:53p, jmcquown told us...

> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was
> 80 degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've
> got a pot of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>
> Jill

It's in the 80s here and we're having burgers on the grill, along with
macaroni salad for David and potato salad for me. We'll both have Boston
baked beans and a veggie platter. Chocolate Mint Cookies for dessert (from
the bakery), that are really better than the Girl Scouts' variety.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 03(III)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 30 Mar 2008 02:25:53p, jmcquown told us...
>
> > You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was
> > 80 degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've
> > got a pot of corn chowder in the works
> >
> > What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
> >
> > Jill

> It's in the 80s here and we're having burgers on the grill, along with
> macaroni salad for David and potato salad for me. We'll both have Boston
> baked beans and a veggie platter. Chocolate Mint Cookies for dessert (from
> the bakery), that are really better than the Girl Scouts' variety.

Thanks for rubbing it in. It was below freezing when I headed off for my riding
lesson at 8:s0 this morning. I put the battery back in my motorcycle earlier
this week and was looking forward to the snow in front of my barn door to melt
enough for me to get out for a ride. I did get out on the bike for a while, but
it was pretty cool. The forecast for tomorrow is for warmer temperatures, but
it is supposed to rain :-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> Thanks for rubbing it in. It was below freezing when I headed off for
> my riding lesson at 8:s0 this morning.

For shame, making someone work on a Sunday!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:25:53 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
>degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot
>of corn chowder in the works
>
>What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>
>Jill

Well, I baked bread all day - lots of semolina bread...two loaves that
are all semolina and 4 loaves and some rolls that just included
semolina. Some of these breads were started late Friday night, in
their pre-ferments, so the fun has been going on all weekend.

This afternoon, I removed all the remaining chicken off the roaster we
had the other day and I made chicken salad:

chicken chunks
granny smith apple
celery
red seedless grapes
walnuts
dressing of mayo, salt, pepper & some really nice curry powder

The chicken salad was for the eldest for dinner and lunches for us all
early this week.

Dinner was:

broiled shoulder lamb chops
fresh asparagus, steamed
steak fries
Greek salad with lettuce, cuke, tomato, onion, olives and feta
watermelon

It has been a busy day.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-03-30, jmcquown > wrote:
> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob?

Well, I got my just desserts. I ate beans all day and was just a bit
perplexed as to why I hadn't emitted even a mild toot all evening. It all
became clear to me next morning when I woke up in Kansas!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
> degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a
> pot of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>
> Jill

It's barbecue chicken on the grill for us, with potato casserole that the 13
year old made, tomato and feta salad, and maybe another side, but I don't
think so. I am going for paper plateable dinner.

I hope everyone's dinner was tasty.

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
> degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot
> of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>
> Jill

Kinda crappy weather here too today. I spent most of the day cleaning
and organizing in the shop after the usual winter "too cold to cleanup"
clutter. Dinner was a grilled pastrami reuben and three ears of corn on
the cob.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was
> 80 degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've
> got a pot of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>
> Jill

I made lasagna. Served with garlic bread and "fantasia" salad
mix...different kinds of lettuce and rocket with tomatoes.

--
Leah: That were a wee bit repulsive.
Buffy: Went okay. 'Cept I feel a little wierd about using a
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
>degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot
>of corn chowder in the works
>
>What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?

I made Joe's Special. Ground beef, spinach, onion, mushroom and eggs.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:25:53 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It
>> was 80 degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F.
>> I've got a pot of corn chowder in the works
>>
>> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>>

> I made Joe's Special. Ground beef, spinach, onion, mushroom and eggs.

This sounds kinda interesting. Please elaborate -- how is it put together?
Scrambled eggs stirred in? Eggs used to bind it? Hard boiled eggs? a meat
loaf? ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:00:53 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:25:53 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>
>>You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
>>degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot
>>of corn chowder in the works
>>
>>What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>>
>>Jill

>Well, I baked bread all day - lots of semolina bread...two loaves that
>are all semolina and 4 loaves and some rolls that just included
>semolina. Some of these breads were started late Friday night, in
>their pre-ferments, so the fun has been going on all weekend.
>
>This afternoon, I removed all the remaining chicken off the roaster we
>had the other day and I made chicken salad:
>
>chicken chunks
>granny smith apple
>celery
>red seedless grapes
>walnuts
>dressing of mayo, salt, pepper & some really nice curry powder
>
>The chicken salad was for the eldest for dinner and lunches for us all
>early this week.

The chicken salad looks interesting. I have been making one using
chicken chunks, green grapes, mayo and tarragon. I may start adding
some more ingredients to mine.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:36:57 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:00:53 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>>This afternoon, I removed all the remaining chicken off the roaster we
>>had the other day and I made chicken salad:
>>
>>chicken chunks
>>granny smith apple
>>celery
>>red seedless grapes
>>walnuts
>>dressing of mayo, salt, pepper & some really nice curry powder
>>
>>The chicken salad was for the eldest for dinner and lunches for us all
>>early this week.
>>

>The chicken salad looks interesting. I have been making one using
>chicken chunks, green grapes, mayo and tarragon. I may start adding
>some more ingredients to mine.

The tarragon is just beginning to awaken in the kitchen herb garden.
As soon as I have enough (a month, maybe), I'm going to try the
tarragon in a chicken salad.

Thanks for the hint

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" schrieb :
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:36:57 -0500, The Cook >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:00:53 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>>>This afternoon, I removed all the remaining chicken off the roaster we
>>>had the other day and I made chicken salad:
>>>
>>>chicken chunks
>>>granny smith apple
>>>celery
>>>red seedless grapes
>>>walnuts
>>>dressing of mayo, salt, pepper & some really nice curry powder
>>>
>>>The chicken salad was for the eldest for dinner and lunches for us all
>>>early this week.
>>>

>>The chicken salad looks interesting. I have been making one using
>>chicken chunks, green grapes, mayo and tarragon. I may start adding
>>some more ingredients to mine.

> The tarragon is just beginning to awaken in the kitchen herb garden.
> As soon as I have enough (a month, maybe), I'm going to try the
> tarragon in a chicken salad.
>
> Thanks for the hint

Have you considered mixing the mayo with Greek yoghurt (50:50).
It would enhance the taste of the fruits.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:30:40 +0200, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>> Thanks for the hint
>>

>Have you considered mixing the mayo with Greek yoghurt (50:50).
>It would enhance the taste of the fruits.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael Kuettner

Fage? I have it around all the time. I often use it in other dishes,
but haven't tried it here. We use reduced calorie mayo at this point,
and keep that to a minimum. All the fruit keeps the salad moist,
without drowning it in dressing.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 31, 4:13*am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > I made Joe's Special. *Ground beef, spinach, onion, mushroom and eggs.

> This sounds kinda interesting. *Please elaborate -- how is it put together?
> Scrambled eggs stirred in? *Eggs used to bind it? Hard boiled eggs? a meat
> loaf? ;o}

Great dish, possibly invented at Joe's in San Francisco, possibly
not. Think of it as a scramble. Cook ground beef, onion, optional
garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper, optional oregano, then stir in fresh
or frozen (thawed, very well drained/squeezed) spinach, stir, season
with a pinch of nutmeg, then pour ample amount of beaten eggs over and
cook with minimal stirring just until eggs set. Serve with parmesan
cheese to grate over it at the table. If serving after a tough night,
pass the hot sauce around as well. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:05:20 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2008-03-30, jmcquown > wrote:
>> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob?

>Well, I got my just desserts. I ate beans all day and was just a bit
>perplexed as to why I hadn't emitted even a mild toot all evening. It all
>became clear to me next morning when I woke up in Kansas!
>
>nb

did a nasty old lady fly by on a bicycle?

your pal,
toto
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> You sent cool weather back here on purpose, didn't you notbob? It was 80
> degrees the last two days, today it didn't get quite to 60F. I've got a pot
> of corn chowder in the works
>
> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?

We had mushroom soup and leftover mac and cheese with ham. I made a
quick mushroom soup with shiitakes and button mushrooms, vidalia
spring onions, shallots, a little red wine, and chicken broth. When I
make this, I saute the onions (of whatever sort) and mushrooms, and
season with some thyme and black pepper. I sprinkle flour over them
once they've softened and cook a minute or so, and then add the
liquids. I usually use sherry but I've had this red wine open for a
while, so I used a little of that.

To top the soup, I heated up some French's french fried onions in the
oven (finally opened the big bag, which was an impulse purchase at
Costco some time ago.)

The mac and cheese with ham is the basic Mueller's recipe I've posted
here a bunch of times, with a couple of cups of chopped Easter ham
folded in at the end. I crumbled about 1/2 cup of Stilton and added
that with the ham. The cheese in the cheese sauce was Cracker Barrel
cheddar. Instead of elbows, I used cavatappi pasta, which is a double
elbow shape. I was really pleased with how it came out. I was low on
milk and used part cream and part fat free half and half in the sauce.

pat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:13:51 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>>
>>> What's everyone else doing for Sunday dinner?
>>>

>> I made Joe's Special. Ground beef, spinach, onion, mushroom and eggs.
>>

>This sounds kinda interesting. Please elaborate -- how is it put together?
>Scrambled eggs stirred in? Eggs used to bind it? Hard boiled eggs? a meat
>loaf? ;o}

I kept the ingredients separate. I browned the hamburger first, then
sautéd the mushrooms, onions and wilted the spinach - sautéing the
spinach in a nonstick pan (so no oil to speak of) until pretty dry,
but not browned. <I finally put those two bunches of fresh spinach
leftover from Easter to good work> I used garlic generously and added
s&p. When it was all ready to go, I actually had 3 rings of
ingredients in the pan with a big hole in the middle where I poured
more and lightly scrambled a couple of eggs. When the eggs were set,
I mixed everything together. Real Joe's Specials have the mushrooms
on top. I mixed mine in. Egg is not a binder. Don't think of it
like a fried rice dish. The taste is *much* better when you keep all
the flavors separate and combine them at the end.

Oh, hubby commented on the onions.... they tasted sweet to him. I
told him it I'd started off sauteing them, but ended up turning down
the heat and caramelized them instead. I'd forgotten that one bunch
of cooked spinach is basically one serving. I needed to prep the
other bunch, so I bought myself some time by caramelizing the onions.

Hamburger amount: a quarter pound per person is plenty... bordering
on too much. Season as you like... keep it plain or add garlic, s&p
(Worcestershire if you wish). Use as much spinach as you want to eat.
It's the main attraction.

HTH

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:13:51 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:

>>> I made Joe's Special. Ground beef, spinach, onion, mushroom and eggs.
>>>

>>This sounds kinda interesting. Please elaborate -- how is it put
>>together?
>>Scrambled eggs stirred in? Eggs used to bind it? Hard boiled eggs? a meat
>>loaf? ;o}

> I kept the ingredients separate. I browned the hamburger first, then
> sautéd the mushrooms, onions and wilted the spinach - sautéing the
> spinach in a nonstick pan (so no oil to speak of) until pretty dry,
> but not browned. <I finally put those two bunches of fresh spinach
> leftover from Easter to good work> I used garlic generously and added
> s&p. When it was all ready to go, I actually had 3 rings of
> ingredients in the pan with a big hole in the middle where I poured
> more and lightly scrambled a couple of eggs. When the eggs were set,
> I mixed everything together. Real Joe's Specials have the mushrooms
> on top. I mixed mine in. Egg is not a binder. Don't think of it
> like a fried rice dish. The taste is *much* better when you keep all
> the flavors separate and combine them at the end.
>
> Oh, hubby commented on the onions.... they tasted sweet to him. I
> told him it I'd started off sauteing them, but ended up turning down
> the heat and caramelized them instead. I'd forgotten that one bunch
> of cooked spinach is basically one serving. I needed to prep the
> other bunch, so I bought myself some time by caramelizing the onions.
>
> Hamburger amount: a quarter pound per person is plenty... bordering
> on too much. Season as you like... keep it plain or add garlic, s&p
> (Worcestershire if you wish). Use as much spinach as you want to eat.
> It's the main attraction.

This sounds good, Barb! I've got all the ingredients on-hand; think I'll
make it sometime over the next couple of days.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:57:12 -0400, "MareCat"
> wrote:

>This sounds good, Barb! I've got all the ingredients on-hand; think I'll
>make it sometime over the next couple of days.

great! Let me know how it turns out.

The curse of 7 John T Wine 0 12-04-2008 08:31 AM
The curse of a seven year John T Wine 0 13-07-2007 02:59 PM
Dinner Last Night (notbob, listen up!) TammyM General Cooking 30 16-11-2006 12:44 AM
Sunday Dinner's Super Bowl Sunday Menu (6) Collection Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2004 03:30 AM
Sunday Dinner's Super Bowl Sunday Menu Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-01-2004 04:40 PM