Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

Old 29-03-2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

bbq wrote:

Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as a
chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the tomato
taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using Ketchup.
Other than that, I see no difference.

What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

Sloppy Joes are sweeter than a chili dog sauce. Otherwise, they're
basically the same.

-sw
Old 29-03-2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

bbq wrote:
Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same
as a chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the
tomato taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using
Ketchup. Other than that, I see no difference.

What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog
sauce?
BBQ

To my way of thinking a chili dog sauce and a sloppy joe sauce vary from
household to household and area to area. I never knew a mother in my group
when growing up that made either the same as someone else's mother. Make it
the way you like and don't worry about it.
Janet

Old 29-03-2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
bbq

Sqwertz wrote:

bbq wrote:

Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as a
chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the tomato
taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using Ketchup.
Other than that, I see no difference.

What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

Sloppy Joes are sweeter than a chili dog sauce. Otherwise, they're
basically the same.

Are Sloppy Jane's sweeter than Sloppy Joe's? :-)

BBQ (I hope so)
Old 29-03-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
bbq

Janet Bostwick wrote:

bbq wrote:

Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same
as a chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the
tomato taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using
Ketchup. Other than that, I see no difference.

What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog
sauce?
BBQ

To my way of thinking a chili dog sauce and a sloppy joe sauce vary from
household to household and area to area. I never knew a mother in my group
when growing up that made either the same as someone else's mother. Make it
the way you like and don't worry about it.
Janet

Certainly agree that it varies from area to area and cook to cook. I am
willing to bet that even those who "follow a recipe" tweak it a bit for
their preference or availabilty of ingredients.

It's one of them things you can do anything you damn well please.

Umm, I got a sloppy joe sauce in the frig. Can't have sloppy joe's,
cause I don't have buns. Guess I will have to have chili dogs since I
have hot dogs and buns on hand!!!

BBq
Old 30-03-2008, 02:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
bbq wrote:

What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

Sloppy Joes are sweeter than a chili dog sauce. *Otherwise, they're
basically the same.

For me that's one of 3 differences. The other two are cumin
is in chili not sloppy joe and sloppy joe always gets ground
beef but chili diced meat unless I'm in a big hurry and usually
two types of meat.
Old 30-03-2008, 07:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

bbq wrote:

(Here we go), my chili will have beans, preferably dark red kidney
beans.

BEANS!!! Are you CRAZY? (Hey - you asked for it)

Chili dog sauce will not have beans, unless they are mashed to a
mashed potato like texture.

Many of the canned hot dog sauces have 'ground beans' and no meat at
all.

-sw
Old 30-03-2008, 07:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
bbq

Doug Freyburger wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:

bbq wrote:

What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

Sloppy Joes are sweeter than a chili dog sauce. Otherwise, they're
basically the same.

For me that's one of 3 differences. The other two are cumin
is in chili not sloppy joe and sloppy joe always gets ground
beef but chili diced meat unless I'm in a big hurry and usually
two types of meat.

Cumin goes in my sloppy joe's and Chili Dog Sauce. Both of them use
ground beef. Chili is different than chili dog sauce, IMO. Chili, as
you say, needs cut up beef, not ground. Though ground beef can be used.

All commercial chili I have had, used ground beef. None have been
better then mine though!!! Chili is a bit spicier than chili dog sauce.
My chili will have chopped Jalapeno's and serrano's. To kick it up a
notch, I will mince up a habanero or 2. To kick it up 2 notches, I will
add my chipotle pepper blend.

(Here we go), my chili will have beans, preferably dark red kidney
beans. Chili dog sauce will not have beans, unless they are mashed to a
mashed potato like texture.

BBQ

Old 31-03-2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

bbq wrote:
Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as a
chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the tomato
taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using Ketchup. Other
than that, I see no difference.

What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

BBQ

You may want to try this for a change of pace:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_hot_dog
Old 31-03-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:23:33 -0500, Scott wrote:

bbq wrote:
Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as a
chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the tomato
taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using Ketchup. Other
than that, I see no difference.

What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

BBQ

You may want to try this for a change of pace:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_hot_dog

has this any relation to loosemeat?

perhaps predictably, rachel ray has a recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_26347,00.html

your pal,
blake
Old 31-03-2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 31 Mar 2008 11:40:44a, blake murphy told us...

bbq wrote:
Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as
a chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the
tomato taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using
Ketchup. Other than that, I see no difference.

What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog
sauce?

BBQ

If anything, sloppy joes have only a very small amount of chili powder and
related spices in it compared to chili dog sauce. Generally, chili dog
sauce is also runnier.

You may want to try this for a change of pace:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_hot_dog

has this any relation to loosemeat?

Only insofar as the meat is "loose". Totally different animals in the
taste department, IMO.

perhaps predictably, rachel ray has a recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._9936_26347,00
.html

Not a surprise. RR seems to have a recipe for damned near everything,
whether I like it or not. :-)

your pal,
blake

--