FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/152487-sloppy-joes-chili-dog.html)

Sqwertz 29-03-2008 08:39 PM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

bbq > wrote:

> Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as a
> chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the tomato
> taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using Ketchup.
> Other than that, I see no difference.
>
> What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

Sloppy Joes are sweeter than a chili dog sauce. Otherwise, they're
basically the same.

-sw

Janet Bostwick 29-03-2008 09:07 PM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

bbq wrote:
> Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same
> as a chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the
> tomato taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using
> Ketchup. Other than that, I see no difference.
>
> What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog
> sauce?
> BBQ

To my way of thinking a chili dog sauce and a sloppy joe sauce vary from
household to household and area to area. I never knew a mother in my group
when growing up that made either the same as someone else's mother. Make it
the way you like and don't worry about it.
Janet

bbq 29-03-2008 09:57 PM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

Sqwertz wrote:

> bbq > wrote:
>

>>Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as a
>>chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the tomato
>>taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using Ketchup.
>>Other than that, I see no difference.
>>
>>What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

> Sloppy Joes are sweeter than a chili dog sauce. Otherwise, they're
> basically the same.

Are Sloppy Jane's sweeter than Sloppy Joe's? :-)

BBQ (I hope so)

bbq 29-03-2008 11:48 PM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> bbq wrote:
>
>>Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same
>>as a chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the
>>tomato taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using
>>Ketchup. Other than that, I see no difference.
>>
>>What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog
>>sauce?
>>BBQ

> To my way of thinking a chili dog sauce and a sloppy joe sauce vary from
> household to household and area to area. I never knew a mother in my group
> when growing up that made either the same as someone else's mother. Make it
> the way you like and don't worry about it.
> Janet

Certainly agree that it varies from area to area and cook to cook. I am
willing to bet that even those who "follow a recipe" tweak it a bit for
their preference or availabilty of ingredients.

It's one of them things you can do anything you damn well please.

Umm, I got a sloppy joe sauce in the frig. Can't have sloppy joe's,
cause I don't have buns. Guess I will have to have chili dogs since I
have hot dogs and buns on hand!!!

BBq

Doug Freyburger 30-03-2008 02:12 AM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

Sqwertz > wrote:
> bbq > wrote:
>
> > What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

> Sloppy Joes are sweeter than a chili dog sauce. *Otherwise, they're
> basically the same.

For me that's one of 3 differences. The other two are cumin
is in chili not sloppy joe and sloppy joe always gets ground
beef but chili diced meat unless I'm in a big hurry and usually
two types of meat.

Sqwertz 30-03-2008 07:34 AM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

bbq > wrote:

> (Here we go), my chili will have beans, preferably dark red kidney
> beans.

BEANS!!! Are you CRAZY? (Hey - you asked for it)

> Chili dog sauce will not have beans, unless they are mashed to a
> mashed potato like texture.

Many of the canned hot dog sauces have 'ground beans' and no meat at
all.

-sw

bbq 30-03-2008 07:39 AM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>bbq > wrote:
>>

>>>What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?

>>Sloppy Joes are sweeter than a chili dog sauce. Otherwise, they're
>>basically the same.

> For me that's one of 3 differences. The other two are cumin
> is in chili not sloppy joe and sloppy joe always gets ground
> beef but chili diced meat unless I'm in a big hurry and usually
> two types of meat.

Cumin goes in my sloppy joe's and Chili Dog Sauce. Both of them use
ground beef. Chili is different than chili dog sauce, IMO. Chili, as
you say, needs cut up beef, not ground. Though ground beef can be used.

All commercial chili I have had, used ground beef. None have been
better then mine though!!! Chili is a bit spicier than chili dog sauce.
My chili will have chopped Jalapeno's and serrano's. To kick it up a
notch, I will mince up a habanero or 2. To kick it up 2 notches, I will
add my chipotle pepper blend.

(Here we go), my chili will have beans, preferably dark red kidney
beans. Chili dog sauce will not have beans, unless they are mashed to a
mashed potato like texture.

BBQ

Scott[_11_] 31-03-2008 02:23 PM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

bbq wrote:
> Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as a
> chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the tomato
> taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using Ketchup. Other
> than that, I see no difference.
>
> What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?
>
> BBQ

You may want to try this for a change of pace:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_hot_dog

blake murphy 31-03-2008 07:40 PM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:23:33 -0500, Scott > wrote:

>bbq wrote:
>> Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as a
>> chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the tomato
>> taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using Ketchup. Other
>> than that, I see no difference.
>>
>> What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog sauce?
>>
>> BBQ

>You may want to try this for a change of pace:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_hot_dog

has this any relation to loosemeat?

perhaps predictably, rachel ray has a recipe:

<http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_26347,00.html>

your pal,
blake

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 31-03-2008 09:08 PM

Sloppy Joe's/Chili dog sauce

On Mon 31 Mar 2008 11:40:44a, blake murphy told us...

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:23:33 -0500, Scott > wrote:
>
>>bbq wrote:
>>> Looking over some Sloppy Joe's recipes, I notice they look the same as
>>> a chili dog sauce. Some Sloppy Joe's recipes have Ketchup as the
>>> tomato taste ingredient. I don't recall a chili dog sauce using
>>> Ketchup. Other than that, I see no difference.
>>>
>>> What's the difference between a Sloppy Joe mixture and a Chili dog
>>> sauce?
>>>
>>> BBQ

If anything, sloppy joes have only a very small amount of chili powder and
related spices in it compared to chili dog sauce. Generally, chili dog
sauce is also runnier.

>>You may want to try this for a change of pace:
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_hot_dog

> has this any relation to loosemeat?

Only insofar as the meat is "loose". Totally different animals in the
taste department, IMO.

> perhaps predictably, rachel ray has a recipe:
>
> <http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._9936_26347,00
> .html>

Not a surprise. RR seems to have a recipe for damned near everything,
whether I like it or not. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 03(III)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)