Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default She gets it

Carin called me from the grocery store. She doesn't cook, but she
noticed they had whole chickens, buy one, get one free. She was
right to call. She's about to bring me four chickens for 79.5 cents
a pound. I guess I know what I'll be doing today.

(Let's see, now. Roast one for dinner tonight. Save the bones. Cut
up the other three, saving the skin for schmaltz and the thighs for
baking -- maybe make chicken and rice casserole. Freeze and then
use the remaining meat for boiling and making chicken soup, chicken
salad, etc.)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Sprat wrote:
> Carin called me from the grocery store. She doesn't cook, but she
> noticed they had whole chickens, buy one, get one free. She was
> right to call. She's about to bring me four chickens for 79.5 cents
> a pound. I guess I know what I'll be doing today.
>
> (Let's see, now. Roast one for dinner tonight. Save the bones. Cut
> up the other three, saving the skin for schmaltz and the thighs for
> baking -- maybe make chicken and rice casserole. Freeze and then
> use the remaining meat for boiling and making chicken soup, chicken
> salad, etc.)

Oh, and yellow curry, of course!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Sprat wrote:
> Carin called me from the grocery store. She doesn't cook, but she
> noticed they had whole chickens, buy one, get one free. She was right
> to call. She's about to bring me four chickens for 79.5 cents a pound. I
> guess I know what I'll be doing today.
>
> (Let's see, now. Roast one for dinner tonight. Save the bones. Cut up
> the other three, saving the skin for schmaltz and the thighs for baking
> -- maybe make chicken and rice casserole. Freeze and then use the
> remaining meat for boiling and making chicken soup, chicken salad, etc.)
>
> Serene

Awesome find! Hug her when she arrives!

--
Leah: That were a wee bit repulsive.
Buffy: Went okay. 'Cept I feel a little wierd about using a
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Chicken Curry; was She gets it

Serene Sprat wrote:

> Serene Sprat wrote:
> > Carin called me from the grocery store. She doesn't cook, but she
> > noticed they had whole chickens, buy one, get one free. She was
> > right to call. She's about to bring me four chickens for 79.5 cents
> > a pound. I guess I know what I'll be doing today.
> >
> > (Let's see, now. Roast one for dinner tonight. Save the bones. Cut
> > up the other three, saving the skin for schmaltz and the thighs for
> > baking -- maybe make chicken and rice casserole. Freeze and then
> > use the remaining meat for boiling and making chicken soup, chicken
> > salad, etc.)

> Oh, and yellow curry, of course!
>
> Serene

What's your recipe for chicken curry? I haven't made chicken curry in
years and now have a craving for some, I think

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Serene Sprat wrote:

> Carin called me from the grocery store. *She doesn't cook, but she
> noticed they had whole chickens, buy one, get one free. *She was
> right to call. She's about to bring me four chickens for 79.5 cents
> a pound. I guess I know what I'll be doing today.

She must have been shopping where I was today! ;-)

I bought two and have one simmering in a spicy stock now. Making
Chicken Enchiladas tonight!!! Not sure what I will do with the stock
when it is through. Maybe a tortilla soup or something similar since I
won't be using all the chicken for the enchiladas tonight. We had a
bit of rain last night and this a.m., so soupy things are still
conducive to this weather. The other bird is in the freezer.

I did "brave the elements" and went to our local Farmer's Market. I
was surprised at how many people were out! Bought green leaf lettuce,
swiss chard, kale, baby bok choy, and some minneola tangerines
(probably the last fresh ones of the season).

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Sprat > wrote:

> Carin called me from the grocery store. She doesn't cook, but she
> noticed they had whole chickens, buy one, get one free. She was
> right to call. She's about to bring me four chickens for 79.5 cents
> a pound. I guess I know what I'll be doing today.

I still can't believe how expensive the BA has gotten. Chickens are
$.79/lb here in TX at some store or another every week. Regular
price is $1.09.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-03-29, Sqwertz > wrote:

> I still can't believe how expensive the BA has gotten. Chickens are
> $.79/lb here in TX at some store or another every week. Regular
> price is $1.09.

Diesel fuel is now averaging $3 gal. I guess it's cheaper if your buying it
close to our oil-man prez's supermarket.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2008-03-29, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> I still can't believe how expensive the BA has gotten. Chickens are
>> $.79/lb here in TX at some store or another every week. Regular
>> price is $1.09.

> Diesel fuel is now averaging $3 gal. I guess it's cheaper if your buying it
> close to our oil-man prez's supermarket.
>
> nb

Actually it's because several million chickens are slaughtered each week
in East Texas and Texas has excellent highways, even the farm roads are
good.

We have whole chickens advertised at .79 a lb nearly every week here in
SW Lousisiana too. We're pretty close to the chicken factories in Texas.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:41:03 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I still can't believe how expensive the BA has gotten. Chickens are
>$.79/lb here in TX at some store or another every week. Regular
>price is $1.09.
>
>-sw

Down here in the L.A. area, I found chickens on sale at Albertsons,
for $0.59/pound this week. I will be picking up one tomorrow morning
on my way home from work. I work almost next door to an Albertsons.

If I were home in NM, I would probably get about 4 of these...but
since I am only going to be here about 6 more weeks, I think I had
better restrain myself.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> What's your recipe for chicken curry? I haven't made chicken curry in
> years and now have a craving for some, I think

Usually, I just grind/mix up some curry spices (cardamom, fenugreek,
ginger, coriander, cumin, garlic, red chili flakes, etc.), fry them
up in oil or butter or the cream from the top of the coconut milk,
add them to the rest of the coconut milk, and simmer chicken in that
liquid with some veggies. But I bought some Mae Ploy yellow curry
paste on rfc recommendations, so this time, I'll probably fry the
curry paste in coconut cream and go from there.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Serene Sprat wrote:

> Sky wrote:
>
> > What's your recipe for chicken curry? I haven't made chicken curry in
> > years and now have a craving for some, I think

> Usually, I just grind/mix up some curry spices (cardamom, fenugreek,
> ginger, coriander, cumin, garlic, red chili flakes, etc.), fry them
> up in oil or butter or the cream from the top of the coconut milk,
> add them to the rest of the coconut milk, and simmer chicken in that
> liquid with some veggies. But I bought some Mae Ploy yellow curry
> paste on rfc recommendations, so this time, I'll probably fry the
> curry paste in coconut cream and go from there.
>
> Serene

Thanks so much for sharing your method. Just the kind of recipe I like
to follow I've never before used coconut milk when I've made chicken
curry, so I'll have to give that a try instead of using milk and cream.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in news:TSxHj.18828$_a5.5516@fe95:

> On 2008-03-29, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> I still can't believe how expensive the BA has gotten. Chickens are
>> $.79/lb here in TX at some store or another every week. Regular
>> price is $1.09.

> Diesel fuel is now averaging $3 gal. I guess it's cheaper if your
> buying it close to our oil-man prez's supermarket.
>
> nb

I see chicken that cheap all the time here in MI.

I was going to buy some today, but I bought cornish hens instead (and a
lobster. I've never had whole lobster. It was delicious! Ellie's
favorite part was the coral. I've raised a child with expensive tastes,
what can I say?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah gray wrote:
> notbob > wrote in news:TSxHj.18828$_a5.5516@fe95:
>
>> On 2008-03-29, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> I still can't believe how expensive the BA has gotten. Chickens are
>>> $.79/lb here in TX at some store or another every week. Regular
>>> price is $1.09.

>> Diesel fuel is now averaging $3 gal. I guess it's cheaper if your
>> buying it close to our oil-man prez's supermarket.
>>
>> nb

> I see chicken that cheap all the time here in MI.

It's rare here. But then we don't eat much chicken; I might be able
to get it cheaper if I looked around.

> I was going to buy some today, but I bought cornish hens instead (and a
> lobster. I've never had whole lobster. It was delicious! Ellie's
> favorite part was the coral. I've raised a child with expensive tastes,
> what can I say?)

:-)

Right now, I have a whole chicken in the oven, some livers and
hearts sauteeing in butter (for me! me! me!) and the following in
the freezer:

6 skinned drumsticks
6 thighs
6 wings
6 skinless, boneless breasts
A largeish bin of skin and fat for making schmaltz
A *huge* bin of necks, backs, wingtips, etc. for making stock

And the carcass for the roasted one will go in there, as well.
That's essentially six or eight meals' worth of chicken for the
three of us for $15. I'm pleased.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Sprat > wrote in news:6586g9F2dnk0bU1
@mid.individual.net:

> sarah gray wrote:
>> notbob > wrote in news:TSxHj.18828$_a5.5516@fe95:

are
>>> Diesel fuel is now averaging $3 gal. I guess it's cheaper if your
>>> buying it close to our oil-man prez's supermarket.
>>>
>>> nb

>> I see chicken that cheap all the time here in MI.

> It's rare here. But then we don't eat much chicken; I might be able
> to get it cheaper if I looked around.
>

>> I was going to buy some today, but I bought cornish hens instead (and

>> lobster. I've never had whole lobster. It was delicious! Ellie's
>> favorite part was the coral. I've raised a child with expensive

tastes,
>> what can I say?)

>:-)
>
> Right now, I have a whole chicken in the oven, some livers and
> hearts sauteeing in butter (for me! me! me!) and the following in
> the freezer:
>
> 6 skinned drumsticks
> 6 thighs
> 6 wings
> 6 skinless, boneless breasts
> A largeish bin of skin and fat for making schmaltz
> A *huge* bin of necks, backs, wingtips, etc. for making stock
>
> And the carcass for the roasted one will go in there, as well.
> That's essentially six or eight meals' worth of chicken for the
> three of us for $15. I'm pleased.
>
> Serene

I should pick up some chicken hearts some time. El does not care for
liver, but I bet she'd eat hearts...she asked me to show her the
lobster's(which she named "Cutie" after vetoing the name "Dinner")
heart, but I could not identify it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Sprat wrote:
> Carin called me from the grocery store. �She doesn't cook, but she
> noticed they had whole chickens, buy one, get one free. �She was
> right to call. She's about to bring me four chickens for 79.5 cents
> a pound. I guess I know what I'll be doing today.

If they're BOGO shouldn't that be like 40 cents a pound? If they're
marking chicken at $1.60/lb and with BOGO marking them down to 79
cents a pound than it's no bargain. Whole roasters here in NY
typically range between 79 cents and 99 cents a pound as an everyday
price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> I will be picking up one tomorrow morning
> on my way home from work. I work almost next door to an Albertsons.

Do you stand in fornt of the store clucking seductively? Or chase them down
and into the jello aisle ?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:44:35 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2008-03-29, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> I still can't believe how expensive the BA has gotten. Chickens are
>> $.79/lb here in TX at some store or another every week. Regular
>> price is $1.09.

>Diesel fuel is now averaging $3 gal. I guess it's cheaper if your buying it
>close to our oil-man prez's supermarket.
>
>nb

you can bet your bottom w.m.d. that he's never been in there.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:53:08 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>> On 2008-03-29, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> I still can't believe how expensive the BA has gotten. Chickens are
>>> $.79/lb here in TX at some store or another every week. Regular
>>> price is $1.09.

>> Diesel fuel is now averaging $3 gal. I guess it's cheaper if your buying it
>> close to our oil-man prez's supermarket.
>>
>> nb

>Actually it's because several million chickens are slaughtered each week
>in East Texas and Texas has excellent highways, even the farm roads are
>good.
>
>We have whole chickens advertised at .79 a lb nearly every week here in
>SW Lousisiana too. We're pretty close to the chicken factories in Texas.
>
>George

well, they raise a bajillion chickens on the eastern shore of
maryland, but in d.c. it's still about a dollar-fifty a pound.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> I will be picking up one tomorrow morning
>> on my way home from work. I work almost next door to an Albertsons.
>>

>Do you stand in fornt of the store clucking seductively? Or chase them down
>and into the jello aisle ?

try buying them a drink.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-03-30, blake murphy > wrote:

> well, they raise a bajillion chickens on the eastern shore of
> maryland, but in d.c. it's still about a dollar-fifty a pound.

Yep. CA raises at least a google of chickens. Still, the only thing under
$1 lb is wings and lips, and that only when on sale.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

> Yep. CA raises at least a google of chickens. Still, the only thing under
> $1 lb is wings and lips, and that only when on sale.

Wings are getting to be the most expensive part of the chicken.
Around here wings go for $1.79/lb frozen in 4 lbs bags, ans $2/lb in
smaller packages. You can usually get bone-in breasts for cheaper
than wings, and leg quarters for half that price.

Chicken lips are always free when you can find them.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
sarah gray > wrote:

> lobster's(which she named "Cutie" after vetoing the name "Dinner")
> heart, but I could not identify it.

<g> Three summers ago some of us gathered for a weekend at the home of a
classmate in Vermont. She treated us to lobster dinner. There were six
of us and Dinah bought 8 lobsters for us. Larry, Lucy, Louie, Lucky,
Lenny,. . . . Oy, what a treat!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Chicken lips are always free when you can find them.
>
> -sw

Sometimes the birds dislocate themselves when they try to pucker up.
Those are the ones that wind up on the shelves of the meat department.
Trust me.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> notbob wrote:
> > On 2008-03-29, Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> >> I still can't believe how expensive the BA has gotten. Chickens are
> >> $.79/lb here in TX at some store or another every week. Regular
> >> price is $1.09.

> > Diesel fuel is now averaging $3 gal. I guess it's cheaper if your buying it
> > close to our oil-man prez's supermarket.
> >
> > nb

> Actually it's because several million chickens are slaughtered each week
> in East Texas and Texas has excellent highways, even the farm roads are
> good.
>
> We have whole chickens advertised at .79 a lb nearly every week here in
> SW Lousisiana too. We're pretty close to the chicken factories in Texas.
>
> George

We were going to do Lasagna with Game Hens for easter at 2 4 $3.00,
they were out so we looked at chicken and they had some puny ones, for
$6 $7 bucks, I would have left out the chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:33:28 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2008-03-30, blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> well, they raise a bajillion chickens on the eastern shore of
>> maryland, but in d.c. it's still about a dollar-fifty a pound.

>Yep. CA raises at least a google of chickens. Still, the only thing under
>$1 lb is wings and lips, and that only when on sale.
>
>nb

i find that wings are, per pound, among the expensive parts. i blame
the people in buffalo.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> We were going to do Lasagna with Game Hens for easter at 2 4 $3.00,
> they were out so we looked at chicken and they had some puny ones, for
> $6 $7 bucks, I would have left out the chicken.

A game hen weighs 16-18 ounces. A chicken weighs 3-4 pounds. Why
does it not surprise me that the chickens cost more?

-sw