FoodBanter.com

-   -   are enamel-on-steel kettles safe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/151927-enamel-steel-kettles-safe.html)

[email protected] 23-03-2008 06:02 AM

are enamel-on-steel kettles safe?

Hi,

I recently bought an enamel-on-steel kettle to boil water (it is
covered with black enamel on the inside). After i used it several
times, i was cleaning the inside with a paper towel and i saw a lot of
dark residue left on the paper towel. Is it normal? It seems like
after i cleaned it the traces of that stuff disappeared but after i
boiled the water again they reappeared. Should i be concerned that
the enamel is dissolving into the water? or is it just something from
the water itself?

Thanks
Yev

Sky 23-03-2008 09:31 AM

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently bought an enamel-on-steel kettle to boil water (it is
> covered with black enamel on the inside). After i used it several
> times, i was cleaning the inside with a paper towel and i saw a lot of
> dark residue left on the paper towel. Is it normal? It seems like
> after i cleaned it the traces of that stuff disappeared but after i
> boiled the water again they reappeared. Should i be concerned that
> the enamel is dissolving into the water? or is it just something from
> the water itself?
>
> Thanks
> Yev

You didn't mention the manufacturer's location. If the kettle was
manufactured in China, then perhaps you might want to have it test for
its lead content? Just an idea, otherwise I have no clue.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Dominic T. 24-03-2008 03:40 AM

On Mar 23, 12:02 am, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought an enamel-on-steel kettle to boil water (it is
> covered with black enamel on the inside). After i used it several
> times, i was cleaning the inside with a paper towel and i saw a lot of
> dark residue left on the paper towel. Is it normal? It seems like
> after i cleaned it the traces of that stuff disappeared but after i
> boiled the water again they reappeared. Should i be concerned that
> the enamel is dissolving into the water? or is it just something from
> the water itself?
>
> Thanks
> Yev

Oof, well I'd imagine it to be either from the kettle or your water.
I'm hoping it is the kettle though because if your water is that bad
you got bigger fish to fry. Wipe it out real well and try boiling some
bottled or distilled water in it and see what happens. If you still
get black then you know it is the kettle (which I'm guessing it is).

You may want to retire it to a decorative kettle and get something
different.

- Dominic

Rina 25-03-2008 12:32 AM

are enamel-on-steel kettles safe?

I think the residue is just minerals in your water. I get the same thing in
my stainless steel tea kettle.

Rina

George Shirley 25-03-2008 12:47 AM

Rina wrote:
> I think the residue is just minerals in your water. I get the same thing in
> my stainless steel tea kettle.
>
> Rina
>

> > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently bought an enamel-on-steel kettle to boil water (it is
>> covered with black enamel on the inside). After i used it several
>> times, i was cleaning the inside with a paper towel and i saw a lot of
>> dark residue left on the paper towel. Is it normal? It seems like
>> after i cleaned it the traces of that stuff disappeared but after i
>> boiled the water again they reappeared. Should i be concerned that
>> the enamel is dissolving into the water? or is it just something from
>> the water itself?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Yev

Add a couple of tablespoons of 5% white vinegar to the pot when you fill
it with water. Will keep the stuff from precipitating out on your pot.

George

S Viemeister[_2_] 25-03-2008 01:09 AM

George Shirley wrote:

> Add a couple of tablespoons of 5% white vinegar to the pot when you fill
> it with water. Will keep the stuff from precipitating out on your pot.

Won't that adversely affect the flavour of your tea?

[email protected] 25-03-2008 02:48 AM

On Mar 24, 4:47*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Rina wrote:
> > I think the residue is just minerals in your water. I get the same thing in
> > my stainless steel tea kettle.

> > Rina

> > > wrote in message
> >> Hi,

> >> I recently bought anenamel-on-steelkettle to boil water (it is
> >> covered with black enamel on the inside). *After i used it several
> >> times, i was cleaning the inside with a paper towel and i saw a lot of
> >> dark residue left on the paper towel. *Is it normal? *It seems like
> >> after i cleaned it the traces of that stuff disappeared but after i
> >> boiled the water again they reappeared. * Should i be concerned that
> >> the enamel is dissolving into the water? or is it just something from
> >> the water itself?

> >> Thanks
> >> Yev

> Add a couple of tablespoons of 5% white vinegar to the pot when you fill
> it with water. Will keep the stuff from precipitating out on your pot.
>
> George- Hide quoted text -

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I kinda doubt it could be from the water,
because i have other pots (not sure if they are stainless steel or
aluminum) and i dont get any of that residue there when i boil the
water. But i ll try to boil bottled water and see what happens.

Someone who cares 25-03-2008 03:39 AM

On Mar 23, 12:02*am, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought an enamel-on-steel kettle to boil water (it is
> covered with black enamel on the inside). *After i used it several
> times, i was cleaning the inside with a paper towel and i saw a lot of
> dark residue left on the paper towel. *Is it normal? *It seems like
> after i cleaned it the traces of that stuff disappeared but after i
> boiled the water again they reappeared. * Should i be concerned that
> the enamel is dissolving into the water? or is it just something from
> the water itself?
>
> Thanks
> Yev

health concern about using glassware or enamelware comes from
components used in making, glazing, or decorating them, such as
pigments, lead, or cadmium. These materials are harmful when taken
into the body, so the risk of them entering food is controlled during
the manufacturing process.

In Canada, glazed ceramics and glassware are regulated and cookware
made of these materials can not be sold, advertised or imported if it
releases more than trace amounts of lead and cadmium. Products having
greater than the allowable levels of lead and cadmium must be
identified by a label indicating the presence of lead and/or cadmium,
or by a design feature such as a hole or a mounting hook, indicating
that they should not be used for food.

Kenneth 25-03-2008 03:46 AM

are enamel-on-steel kettles safe?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:48:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Thanks for the responses. I kinda doubt it could be from the water,
>because i have other pots (not sure if they are stainless steel or
>aluminum) and i dont get any of that residue there when i boil the
>water. But i ll try to boil bottled water and see what happens.

Howdy,

Distilled water may be what you want for your test, but
ordinary "bottled water" may well be higher in mineral
content than your tap water.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Rina 25-03-2008 01:44 PM

are enamel-on-steel kettles safe?

You probably clean other pans immediately, or if using them for water, other
things go into that water, such as pasta or potatoes, you wouldn't notice
the residue.

Tea kettles seem to get water added and boiled several times before
thoroughly cleaning again. (In my kitchen at least, or am I just a slob
,<laughing>) I do begin each morning with a freshly cleaned tea kettle.

That's one thing that annoys me about many tea kettles, the top opening is
too small to get your hand in and scrub the kettle...

Rina

-

John Kane 25-03-2008 08:50 PM

Rina wrote:
> Tea kettles seem to get water added and boiled several times before
> thoroughly cleaning again. (In my kitchen at least, or am I just a slob
> ,<laughing>) I do begin each morning with a freshly cleaned tea kettle.

You WASH the tea kettle? I remove the lime buildup once in a while but
WASH???

> That's one thing that annoys me about many tea kettles, the top opening is
> too small to get your hand in and scrub the kettle...

Hence proving I was right not to try washing the blasted thing. Clearly
too dangerous since if you get your hand in you may need a cutting
torch to get it out.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Rina 26-03-2008 03:13 AM

are enamel-on-steel kettles safe?

Yes, I Wash my stainless steel tea kettle... as I do the rest of my pots &
pans. The lid comes off and I can put my whole hand in and swish a dish
cloth or sponge around and remove the previous days residue.

We have well water from a deep artesian well, its high in mineral content.
Left in the kettle, the kettle gets gritty.

Rina