Joel Crum

Default Making spices stick

Hello,

I have a trivial problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I'd like to get dry, calorie less, spices to stick to healthy, yet
hopelessly dull, air popped popcorn. Unfortunately oil takes away the
healthy nature I'm going for, and water makes the popcorn shrivel up. Is
there some substance that will stick act as glue for my spices but not ad
many calories?

--
- Joel C.

"And if this all blows up and goes to hell,
I can still see us sitting on the bed in some motel
listening to the stories we could tell." - Tom Petty
DRB

"Joel Crum" <yeah> wrote in message
. 100...
> Hello,
>
> I have a trivial problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.
>
> I'd like to get dry, calorie less, spices to stick to healthy, yet
> hopelessly dull, air popped popcorn. Unfortunately oil takes away the
> healthy nature I'm going for, and water makes the popcorn shrivel up. Is
> there some substance that will stick act as glue for my spices but not ad
> many calories?
>
> --
> - Joel C.

The only thing I can think of is non-stick cooking spray.

Steve Wertz

On 24 Oct 2003 02:25:59 GMT, Joel Crum <yeah> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a trivial problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.
>
>I'd like to get dry, calorie less, spices to stick to healthy, yet
>hopelessly dull, air popped popcorn. Unfortunately oil takes away the
>healthy nature I'm going for, and water makes the popcorn shrivel up. Is
>there some substance that will stick act as glue for my spices but not ad
>many calories?

Put some popcorn in your mouth, then tilt your head up and shake the
spice shaker into your mouth.

-sw
Frank

"DRB" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Joel Crum" <yeah> wrote in message
> . 100...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a trivial problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.
> >
> > I'd like to get dry, calorie less, spices to stick to healthy, yet
> > hopelessly dull, air popped popcorn. Unfortunately oil takes away the
> > healthy nature I'm going for, and water makes the popcorn shrivel up.

Is
> > there some substance that will stick act as glue for my spices but not

ad
> > many calories?
> >
> > --
> > - Joel C.

> The only thing I can think of is non-stick cooking spray.

Wouldn't the "non-stickiness" of it mean that the spices won't stick either?

Carnivore269

Joel Crum <yeah> wrote in message .100>...
> Hello,
>
> I have a trivial problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.
>
> I'd like to get dry, calorie less, spices to stick to healthy, yet
> hopelessly dull, air popped popcorn. Unfortunately oil takes away the
> healthy nature I'm going for, and water makes the popcorn shrivel up. Is
> there some substance that will stick act as glue for my spices but not ad
> many calories?

Hmmmmmm... interesting question. I'll be fascinated to see what other
folks come up with. ;-)

I have an idea, don't know if it'll work? Try it and let us know if it
did... It's not like popcorn is expensive. I'm trying to stay on the
Atkins diet so popcorn is out for me! <sigh>

While popcorn is popping, there is a certain amount of natural
moisture produced, and popping corn has a miniscule amount of it's own
oil. Think of corn oil. <G>

Try adding the spices to the corn PRIOR to popping it if you are using
bags of popping corn in a pan on the stove. Mix it well and see how
that does?

C.

jacqui{JB}

"Joel Crum" <yeah> wrote in message
. 100...

> I'd like to get dry, calorie less, spices to stick
> to healthy, yet hopelessly dull, air popped popcorn.
> Unfortunately oil takes away the healthy nature I'm
> going for, and water makes the popcorn shrivel up.
> Is there some substance that will stick act as glue for
> my spices but not ad many calories?

I've never had much use for air-popped popcorn, myself. I use a
Stir-Crazy popcorn popper, which makes great popcorn with a minimal
amount of oil -- two tablespoons of oil to 2/3 cup of popcorn (Orville
Redenbacher gives the best results, IME). The popcorn doesn't have a
greasy feeling and, if you add the salt or other seasoning (seasoned
salt is quite nice) immediately upon turning out the popcorn, there's
enough residual moisture from the steam to make the salt stick.

I'm not going to quibble about 200 extra calories from the oil for
eight quarts of popcorn.
-j

Mr. Wizard

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
news
> On 24 Oct 2003 02:25:59 GMT, Joel Crum <yeah> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have a trivial problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.
> >
> >I'd like to get dry, calorie less, spices to stick to healthy, yet
> >hopelessly dull, air popped popcorn. Unfortunately oil takes away the
> >healthy nature I'm going for, and water makes the popcorn shrivel up. Is
> >there some substance that will stick act as glue for my spices but not ad
> >many calories?

> Put some popcorn in your mouth, then tilt your head up and shake the
> spice shaker into your mouth.
>
> -sw
That works well until the shaker top pops loose.

jmcquown

Carnivore269 wrote:
> Joel Crum <yeah> wrote in message
> .100>...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a trivial problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.
>>
>> I'd like to get dry, calorie less, spices to stick to healthy, yet
>> hopelessly dull, air popped popcorn.

(snip)
> Try adding the spices to the corn PRIOR to popping it if you are using
> bags of popping corn in a pan on the stove. Mix it well and see how
> that does?
>
> C.

Read for context They aren't cooking it in a pan; they're using an
air-popper.

Jill

Blair P. Houghton

Frank > wrote:
>"DRB" > wrote in message
>> The only thing I can think of is non-stick cooking spray.
>>

>Wouldn't the "non-stickiness" of it mean that the spices won't stick either?

And that it's oil, which is the thing being avoided. Though
I can't imagine how that will help with the diet.

--Blair
"Diminishing returns."
Joel Crum

Thanks for the advice everyone. I tired using less oil yesterday by
melting the spices directly into it. Doing that with one Tbsp of butter
coated 1/2 cup (unpoped) popcorn fairly well. I'm going to keep fiddling
with it.

--
- Joel C.

Jack Schidt®

"Joel Crum" > wrote in message
. 82...
> Thanks for the advice everyone. I tired using less oil yesterday by
> melting the spices directly into it. Doing that with one Tbsp of butter
> coated 1/2 cup (unpoped) popcorn fairly well. I'm going to keep fiddling
> with it.
>
> --
> - Joel C.

Well if you tired using less oil, I hope butter doesn't totally exhaust you.
Good typo, amigo!

Jack Ytpo

Tanya Quinn

Joel Crum > wrote in message .82>...
> Thanks for the advice everyone. I tired using less oil yesterday by
> melting the spices directly into it. Doing that with one Tbsp of butter
> coated 1/2 cup (unpoped) popcorn fairly well. I'm going to keep fiddling
> with it.

Try using a bit of olive oil instead, healthier for you. To keep the
amount minimal you could spray the hot air cooked popcorn with the
olive oil using a mister and then shake with the spices.