Peggy

Default pumpkin & cornmeal cake with orange syrup

Bob reqeusted the recipe for

Pumpkin & Cornmeal Cake with Orange Syrup; here it is, fresh from the
pages of my slightly sticky copy of the November 2003 Fine Cooking
magazine:

For the cake:
1/2 pound (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulate dsugar
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
1 large egg
2 large eggs, separated
8 ounces (1 cup) canned pure solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin piue filling)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 3/4 ounces (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup (3 1/4 ounces) fine-ground yellow cornmeal (don't use coarse)
sifted confectioners' sugar for garnish (optional)

For the syrup and for serving:
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 medium juice oranges)
1/2 cup graulated sugar
Vanilla yogurt or vanilla ice cream (optional)

Position an oven rack on the middle rung and heat the oven to 350
degrees F. Butter a 9-inch bundt pan. With a hand mixer or a stand
mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and
orange zest until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. One at a time, add
the egg and egg yolks (remember to reserve the whites), beating well and
scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions. Beat in the
pumpkpin and vanilla.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir in the cornmeal.
Add this mixture to the pumpkin batter in three stages, stirring
gently but thououghly with a rubber spatula after each addition; don't
overwork the batter.

In a clean bowl with a very clean whisk or hand mixer, whip the reserved
egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Gently fold the whites into the
batter with the spatula until you no longer see streaks of white.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan; snmooth the surface. Bake
until the top of the cake is springy when lightly touched, the sides are
beginninbg to pull away from the pan, and a wooden skewer inserted into
the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool in
the pan for 10 minutes, and then invert the cake onto a wire rack to
cool completely. Dust the cake with sifted confectioners' sugar, if you
like.

In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the orange juce and sugar,
stiurring until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium
high. Boil without stirring for two minutes. (If you make the suryp
ahead, be sure to warm it gently before serving.)

Serve each slice of cake drizzled with syrup and, if you like,
acompanied by a scoop of vanilla yogurt or vanilla ice cream.

Serves 10.

Cake can be made a few days in advance and stored at room temperature
wrapped in plastic. I think this improves it.

The texture was nice, though a little heavy, and I think next time I
make it I'll increase the syrup recipe and add chopped crystallized
ginger to the batter before baking to boost the flavor.

Cheers!
Peg

Bob

Peggy wrote:

> Bob reqeusted the recipe for
>
> Pumpkin & Cornmeal Cake with Orange Syrup; here it is, fresh from the
> pages of my slightly sticky copy of the November 2003 Fine Cooking
> magazine:

Thank you kindly!
<snip>
> The texture was nice, though a little heavy, and I think next time I
> make it I'll increase the syrup recipe and add chopped crystallized
> ginger to the batter before baking to boost the flavor.

It was heavy? Hmm....I wonder if adding another egg white to the beaten
whites would lighten it. This definitely sounds like something I want to
tinker with this autumn.

Thanks again!

Bob

PaulaGarlic

"Peggy" > wrote in message
> Bob reqeusted the recipe for
>
> Pumpkin & Cornmeal Cake with Orange Syrup; here it is, fresh from the
> pages of my slightly sticky copy of the November 2003 Fine Cooking
> magazine:
>
> For the cake:
> 1/2 pound (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
> 1 cup granulate dsugar
> 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
> 1 large egg
> 2 large eggs, separated
> 8 ounces (1 cup) canned pure solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin piue filling)
> 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
> 6 3/4 ounces (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/3 teaspoon table salt
> 1/2 cup (3 1/4 ounces) fine-ground yellow cornmeal (don't use coarse)
> sifted confectioners' sugar for garnish (optional)
>
> For the syrup and for serving:
> 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 medium juice oranges)
> 1/2 cup graulated sugar
> Vanilla yogurt or vanilla ice cream (optional)
>
> Position an oven rack on the middle rung and heat the oven to 350
> degrees F. Butter a 9-inch bundt pan. With a hand mixer or a stand
> mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and
> orange zest until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. One at a time, add
> the egg and egg yolks (remember to reserve the whites), beating well and
> scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions. Beat in the
> pumpkpin and vanilla.
>
> Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir in the cornmeal.
> Add this mixture to the pumpkin batter in three stages, stirring
> gently but thououghly with a rubber spatula after each addition; don't
> overwork the batter.
>
> In a clean bowl with a very clean whisk or hand mixer, whip the reserved
> egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Gently fold the whites into the
> batter with the spatula until you no longer see streaks of white.
> Scrape the batter into the prepared pan; snmooth the surface. Bake
> until the top of the cake is springy when lightly touched, the sides are
> beginninbg to pull away from the pan, and a wooden skewer inserted into
> the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool in
> the pan for 10 minutes, and then invert the cake onto a wire rack to
> cool completely. Dust the cake with sifted confectioners' sugar, if you
> like.
>
> In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the orange juce and sugar,
> stiurring until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium
> high. Boil without stirring for two minutes. (If you make the suryp
> ahead, be sure to warm it gently before serving.)
>
> Serve each slice of cake drizzled with syrup and, if you like,
> acompanied by a scoop of vanilla yogurt or vanilla ice cream.
>
> Serves 10.
>
> Cake can be made a few days in advance and stored at room temperature
> wrapped in plastic. I think this improves it.

This sounds so good! I've been baking a lot of cakes lately and will
certainly try this one soon!

Paula