Whip Egg Whites with Stick Blender

Old 28-02-2008, 04:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whip Egg Whites with Stick Blender

I only have a regular stick blender - no whisk attachment. Can
it be used to whip egg white into stiff peaks for a souffle?

I'm too much of a wimp to do it by hand.

-sw
Old 28-02-2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
I only have a regular stick blender - no whisk attachment. Can
it be used to whip egg white into stiff peaks for a souffle?

I'm too much of a wimp to do it by hand.

Do you mean like an immersion blender? I'm not sure that would work, but
I've never tried it. You could use a whisk but that would take a long time.

Old 28-02-2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

I only have a regular stick blender - no whisk attachment. Can
it be used to whip egg white into stiff peaks for a souffle?

I'm too much of a wimp to do it by hand.

-sw

You need to beat air into the whites to get the stiff peaks; the stick
blender is a chopper. Do you have a hand beater? That's what we used to
use back in the good old days when I was a kid and making egg nog by the
glass.

Then again, I might be all wet, but i don't think so. Dare you try it
with, say, one egg white and see what happens?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008
Old 28-02-2008, 05:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 03:01:07 GMT, Sqwertz
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

I only have a regular stick blender - no whisk attachment. Can
it be used to whip egg white into stiff peaks for a souffle?

I'm too much of a wimp to do it by hand.

Need more information. What type of stick blender? I have an older
(ca. 1998) Cuisinart cordless immersion blender that might be good for
scrambling eggs, but would not rise to whipping egg whites. Do you not
have a hand or stand mixer (or was this question answered when you
stated: "I only have a regular stick blender")? Even an old rotary
beater, IMHO, wouldn't make the *stiff* peaks you're likely looking
for. I don't know how anyone achieved this prior to the invention of
the electric mixer, although a quick look seems to argue that
meringues, say, have been around since the 16th century.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Old 28-02-2008, 05:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
I only have a regular stick blender - no whisk attachment. Can
it be used to whip egg white into stiff peaks for a souffle?

I'm too much of a wimp to do it by hand.

-sw

I've seen it done on TV, before. They had to keep dipping it in
and out of the whites to pick up air.

Dave

Old 28-02-2008, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

:for. I don't know how anyone achieved this prior to the invention of
:the electric mixer, although a quick look seems to argue that
:meringues, say, have been around since the 16th century.

With a whisk. It's not that hard. A big whisk, in a big bowl.

--
sig 128
Old 28-02-2008, 05:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:21:11 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

I only have a regular stick blender - no whisk attachment. Can
it be used to whip egg white into stiff peaks for a souffle?

I'm too much of a wimp to do it by hand.

You need to beat air into the whites to get the stiff peaks; the stick
blender is a chopper. Do you have a hand beater?

I have whisks and copper bowls, but last time I tried that my arm
got really sore before I could get it up.

Maybe I can attach the whisk to an electric drill....

I guess I could try the immersion blende (Braun), and if it
fails, make mayonnaise instead.

-sw
Old 28-02-2008, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:09:05 -0600, Hairy wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
I only have a regular stick blender - no whisk attachment. Can
it be used to whip egg white into stiff peaks for a souffle?

I'm too much of a wimp to do it by hand.

I've seen it done on TV, before. They had to keep dipping it in
and out of the whites to pick up air.

That's pretty much all I was looking for: Somebody that can at
least say "I've seen it done". I figure if I just use a shallow
bowl I can run it through like a lawnmower to get air into the
mix. I was just worried about the sharp blades breaking the egg
cells, or something.

There are stick blenders that don't have blades, just stumps that
rotate. But I've never seen those in a home kitchen.

-sw
Old 28-02-2008, 01:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

David wrote on Thu, 28 Feb 2008 04:28:42 +0000 (UTC):

DS :for. I don't know how anyone achieved this prior to the
DS invention of :the electric mixer, although a quick look
DS seems to argue that :meringues, say, have been around since
DS the 16th century.

DS With a whisk. It's not that hard. A big whisk, in a big
DS bowl.

The only thing I would add is *a copper bowl*. The role of the
copper is known and it is not regarded as harmful.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 28-02-2008, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-02-28, Janet Baraclough wrote:
Dangerous talk. You haven't mentioned the safety harness.

No kidding. I'm still hysterical over the "sore arm [...] couldn't get it
up". Perhaps a full latex suit.

nb
Old 28-02-2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-02-28, Janet Baraclough wrote:
Dangerous talk. You haven't mentioned the safety harness.

No kidding. I'm still hysterical over the "sore arm [...] couldn't get it
up". Perhaps a full latex suit.

I knew there was a joke in toast-lady's "hand beater" comment
somewhere and I figured I better jump on it before Sheldon.

-sw
Old 28-02-2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.ochef.com/223.htm
Old 29-02-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 29-02-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

I only have a regular stick blender - no whisk attachment. Can
it be used to whip egg white into stiff peaks for a souffle?

I'm too much of a wimp to do it by hand.

-sw

You need to beat air into the whites to get the stiff peaks; the stick
blender is a chopper. Do you have a hand beater? That's what we used to
use back in the good old days when I was a kid and making egg nog by the
glass.

I do not own an electric mixer of any type. For 35 years, I've been
beating egg whites and whipping cream with my rotary hand mixer. I
find it takes about 1 1/2 minutes to get the egg whites to stiff
peaks.

Jo Anne