Amberinauburn

Default Cooking/ refreezing hamburger

I have a question, last night at the store I bought the hamburger for the chili
I need to make for Sunday nights party. It's a work thing and not only are we
'expected' to go but several people have 'requested' that I make and bring my
chili. Today is Thursday. I don't want to leave uncooked hamburger in the
refrigerator until sometime Saturday, which is when I will make the chili, so
my question is this, Can I brown off the meat and then freeze it until Saturday
night when I will have time to make the chili?

Thanks in advance Amber

Also any tips on making chili are appreciated.

Sam D.

"Amberinauburn" > wrote in message
> I have a question, last night at the store I bought the hamburger for the

chili
> I need to make for Sunday nights party. It's a work thing and not only are

we
> 'expected' to go but several people have 'requested' that I make and bring

my
> chili. Today is Thursday. I don't want to leave uncooked hamburger in the
> refrigerator until sometime Saturday, which is when I will make the chili,

so
> my question is this, Can I brown off the meat and then freeze it until

Saturday
> night when I will have time to make the chili?
>
> Thanks in advance Amber
>
> Also any tips on making chili are appreciated.

I would brown the meat right away because raw ground meat doesn't keep well.
But after it is browned, it should be fine until Sunday without the need to
freeze it.

~ rob ~

"Amberinauburn" > wrote in message
> I have a question, last night at the store I bought the hamburger for the

chili
> I need to make for Sunday nights party. It's a work thing and not only are

we
> 'expected' to go but several people have 'requested' that I make and bring

my
> chili. Today is Thursday. I don't want to leave uncooked hamburger in the
> refrigerator until sometime Saturday, which is when I will make the chili,

so
> my question is this, Can I brown off the meat and then freeze it until

Saturday
> night when I will have time to make the chili?
>
> Thanks in advance Amber
>
> Also any tips on making chili are appreciated.

----------------------

Cook the heck out of it, salt and pepper it, freeze it.

Or freeze it raw, thaw and cook any time within a month or so...

So many *different* chile recipes out there, no real tips or secrets, just
lotsa experimenting and trying different recipes.

I like lotsa fresh ground black pepper. Cumin is the dominant spice in
traditional chillies.

For example, see:

http://www.recipesource.com/

http://www.recipecenter.com/results.asp

etc

-bg-

levelwave

Amberinauburn wrote:

> Also any tips on making chili are appreciated.

beans man... it's gotta have the beans...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

levelwave

levelwave wrote:

> beans man... *its* gotta have the beans...

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Dimitri

"Amberinauburn" > wrote in message
> I have a question, last night at the store I bought the hamburger for the

chili
> I need to make for Sunday nights party. It's a work thing and not only are

we
> 'expected' to go but several people have 'requested' that I make and bring

my
> chili. Today is Thursday. I don't want to leave uncooked hamburger in the
> refrigerator until sometime Saturday, which is when I will make the chili,

so
> my question is this, Can I brown off the meat and then freeze it until

Saturday
> night when I will have time to make the chili?
>
> Thanks in advance Amber
>
> Also any tips on making chili are appreciated.

The Hamburger will have a "freeze or use by date" let that be your guide.
If there is plenty of time then just keep it in the fridge till you want to
use it. As for browning it now the cooking of the meat resets the "freeze
or use by clock" and for a few days I see no problem in browning the meat
and then storing it in the fridge till you want to use it. Freezing and
thawing at home will effect the texture if almost anything. If you don't
have to then don't freeze.

As far as chili is concerned - add the spices to a hot pan just after
draining the meat. Let the spices and herbs warm or toast for a time this
will enhance the flavors (IMHO).

Dimitri

zxcvbob

~ rob ~ wrote:
> "Amberinauburn" > wrote in message
>
>> I have a question, last night at the store I bought the hamburger
>> for the chili I need to make for Sunday nights party. It's a work
>> thing and not only are we 'expected' to go but several people have
>> 'requested' that I make and bring my chili. Today is Thursday. I
>> don't want to leave uncooked hamburger in the refrigerator until
>> sometime Saturday, which is when I will make the chili, so my
>> question is this, Can I brown off the meat and then freeze it until
>> Saturday night when I will have time to make the chili? Thanks in
>> advance Amber Also any tips on making chili are appreciated.

> ----------------------
>
> Cook the heck out of it, salt and pepper it, freeze it. Or freeze it
> raw, thaw and cook any time within a month or so... So many
> *different* chile recipes out there, no real tips or secrets, just
> lotsa experimenting and trying different recipes. I like lotsa fresh
> ground black pepper. Cumin is the dominant spice in traditional
> chillies.

Brown the meat with a little salt and an onion, drain off some of the
fat, and the meat will be fine in the refrigerator for a few days.

I like to use whole dried New Mexico chiles (or guajillo, which are
different but interchangable) and one or two dried ancho peppers. Long
dried red peppers should be the predominant spice. Remove the stems and
most of the seeds from the peppers and soak them in a little boiling
water until they plump up and get soft. Then liquify the peppers in the
soaking water with a blender. I simmer the meat in that for a while,
adjust the spices with salt (or beef bouillon cubes) oregano, garlic,
black pepper. (I use stale preground black pepper in chili and fresh
ground pepper in just about everything else.) Let it simmer for about
an hour; thicken with a *little* oatmeal.

Pork stock is wonderful for making chili.

Best regards,
Bob

Ray M

> I need to make for Sunday nights party. It's a work thing and not only are
we
> 'expected' to go but several people have 'requested' that I make and bring

my
> chili.

You don't seem so thrilled about going or making the chili. I say leave the
meat out on the counter until Sunday and then make the chili. Not only will
they never ask you to make chili again, you probably won't be invited
anymore. )

"Amberinauburn" > wrote in message
> I have a question, last night at the store I bought the hamburger for the

chili
> I need to make for Sunday nights party. It's a work thing and not only are

we
> 'expected' to go but several people have 'requested' that I make and bring

my
> chili. Today is Thursday. I don't want to leave uncooked hamburger in the
> refrigerator until sometime Saturday, which is when I will make the chili,

so
> my question is this, Can I brown off the meat and then freeze it until

Saturday
> night when I will have time to make the chili?
>
> Thanks in advance Amber
>
> Also any tips on making chili are appreciated.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:
(chili instructions snipped)
Let it simmer for about
> an hour; thicken with a *little* oatmeal.

OATMEAL??? In chili? Now, I've heard everything.

> Pork stock is wonderful for making chili.

It's pretty good in beef vegetable soup, too.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

Mark

Sam D. wrote:

> I would brown the meat right away because raw ground meat doesn't keep well.
> But after it is browned, it should be fine until Sunday without the need to
> freeze it.

The first answers the best.

Mark

Amberinauburn wrote:
> It's a work thing and not only are we
> 'expected' to go but several people have 'requested' that I make and bring my
> chili.

I see,

Your home chili gets pulled meat, but the work stuff gets Burger.

Refreezing meat Terry[_1_] General Cooking 29 04-08-2007 07:40 PM
Cooking frozen hamburger patties hob General Cooking 11 02-07-2006 09:49 PM
Refreezing BBQ Terry General Cooking 3 17-06-2006 11:17 PM
refreezing meat Chris Preserving 3 21-05-2006 02:51 AM
need hamburger cooking instructions Anthony Ewell General Cooking 15 16-04-2005 08:44 PM