Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pico De Gallo

I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
tomatoes, cilantro and lime.

The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs slightly
depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some finely
shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red powder on it. Chili
powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they make it, I always like it.

But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was a
plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic tomatoes
and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything and it was
really wet.

So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places but I don't
recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that particular
restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two weeks or so and
I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all bland and soggy like that
before.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions, tomatoes,
>cilantro and lime.
>
> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs slightly
> depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some finely shredded
> cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red powder on it. Chili powder? Cayenne?
> I don't know. However they make it, I always like it.
>
> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was a plate
> of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic tomatoes and seemingly
> little else. It didn't really taste like anything and it was really wet.
>
> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the stuff? I
> have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places but I don't recall ever
> getting lettuce. And certainly not at that particular restaurant before. It's a
> place we dine at about every two weeks or so and I always get the pico de gallo.
> Never had it all bland and soggy like that before.

We eat Mexican food a few times a week usually...and I've *never* had pico de gallo
served with lettuce in it or cabbage either.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

>> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in
>> the stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places
>> but I don't recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that
>> particular restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two
>> weeks or so and I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all bland
>> and soggy like that before.

> We eat Mexican food a few times a week usually...and I've *never* had
> pico de gallo served with lettuce in it or cabbage either.
>
> kimberly

I can't say I've ever had that either? It is usually just tomatoes,
onions, cilantro and jalapeno peppers, perhaps with a little salt and
lime juice?
But I'm just a Tex-Mex girl. Maybe they do use more cabbage in Cal-Mex
food? No clue what they actually do in Mexico.
I do know that pico de gallo means "beak of the rooster" though!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> We eat Mexican food a few times a week usually...and I've *never* had pico
> de gallo served with lettuce in it or cabbage either.

Hmmm... Okay. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..

> I can't say I've ever had that either? It is usually just tomatoes,
> onions, cilantro and jalapeno peppers, perhaps with a little salt and lime
> juice?
> But I'm just a Tex-Mex girl. Maybe they do use more cabbage in Cal-Mex
> food? No clue what they actually do in Mexico.
> I do know that pico de gallo means "beak of the rooster" though!

I'm in WA so this wouldn't be Cal-Mex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> I know there are many different recipes for this but most include
> onions, tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>
> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs
> slightly depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had
> some finely shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red
> powder on it. Chili powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they
> make it, I always like it.
>
> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It
> was a plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up
> anemic tomatoes and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste
> like anything and it was really wet.
>
> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in
> the stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places
> but I don't recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that
> particular restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two
> weeks or so and I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all
> bland and soggy like that before.

modom freaked me right out when he told me about a pico de gallo with
jicama in it. I'm guessing it was texas style.

Below is the preferred recipe I make at home in Canada.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Pico De Gallo Salsa

none

2 or 3 serrano or jalapeno chiles,; stems & seeds removed,
1 or 2 bell peppers (red, green, yellow); your choice chopped
1 large red onion, finely chopped
4 medium roma tomatoes, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped; or more
1/4 bunch finely chopped cilantro
1 juice of 1 fresh lime

Finely chop the garlic and cilantro. Chop the other ingredients a lot or
a little. To make a chunky to your choice Salsa.
Squeeze the juice of the lime over the combined ingredients. Be sure hot
peppers are seeded and the white parts has been removed. A little salt
doesn't hurt.

Notes...
juicer tomatoes work well too.
If no hot peppers use hot sauce instead and add more coloured bell
peppers.

Be sure to wash hands well after handling hot peppers.
Let the salsa rest in the fridge a couple of hours to over nite to let
the marry well.

Good with corn chips or on fajitas or tacos...Even ok on pasta.
Lemon juice or vinegar can replace the lime . But fresh lime juice is
the best.

Coloured bell peppers make it look nicer but green peppers are cheaper
and work well too.

Yield: 1batch/jarfull

Preparation Time: 00:20

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>
>> I know there are many different recipes for this but most include
>> onions, tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>>
>> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs
>> slightly depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had
>> some finely shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red
>> powder on it. Chili powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they
>> make it, I always like it.
>>
>> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It
>> was a plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up
>> anemic tomatoes and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste
>> like anything and it was really wet.
>>
>> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in
>> the stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places
>> but I don't recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that
>> particular restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two
>> weeks or so and I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all
>> bland and soggy like that before.
>>

> modom freaked me right out when he told me about a pico de gallo with
> jicama in it. I'm guessing it was texas style.
>
> Below is the preferred recipe I make at home in Canada.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Pico De Gallo Salsa
>
> none
>
> 2 or 3 serrano or jalapeno chiles,; stems & seeds removed,
> 1 or 2 bell peppers (red, green, yellow); your choice chopped
> 1 large red onion, finely chopped
> 4 medium roma tomatoes, finely chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped; or more
> 1/4 bunch finely chopped cilantro
> 1 juice of 1 fresh lime
>
> Finely chop the garlic and cilantro. Chop the other ingredients a lot or
> a little. To make a chunky to your choice Salsa.
> Squeeze the juice of the lime over the combined ingredients. Be sure hot
> peppers are seeded and the white parts has been removed. A little salt
> doesn't hurt.
>
> Notes...
> juicer tomatoes work well too.
> If no hot peppers use hot sauce instead and add more coloured bell
> peppers.
>
> Be sure to wash hands well after handling hot peppers.
> Let the salsa rest in the fridge a couple of hours to over nite to let
> the marry well.
>
> Good with corn chips or on fajitas or tacos...Even ok on pasta.
> Lemon juice or vinegar can replace the lime . But fresh lime juice is
> the best.
>
> Coloured bell peppers make it look nicer but green peppers are cheaper
> and work well too.

That sounds good. I do like jicama but I think I'd rather dip it in the
pico de gallo that put it in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
> tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>
> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs slightly
> depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some finely
> shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red powder on it. Chili
> powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they make it, I always like it.
>
> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was a
> plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic tomatoes
> and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything and it was
> really wet.
>
> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
> stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places but I don't
> recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that particular
> restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two weeks or so and
> I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all bland and soggy like that
> before.

I've never seen lettuce or cabbage in pico de gallo. Not in Mexico, not
in California, not even in the Midwest. Sounds a trifle odd.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
>tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>
> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs slightly
> depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some finely
> shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red powder on it. Chili
> powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they make it, I always like it.
>
> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was
> a plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic
> tomatoes and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything
> and it was really wet.
>
> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
> stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places but I
> don't recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that particular
> restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two weeks or so
> and I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all bland and soggy like
> that before.

I've never seen it with lettuce or cabbage in it. I wonder if there's a
German or Polish chef in the kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
>tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>
> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs slightly
> depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some finely
> shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red powder on it. Chili
> powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they make it, I always like it.
>
> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was
> a plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic
> tomatoes and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything
> and it was really wet.
>
> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
> stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places but I
> don't recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that particular
> restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two weeks or so
> and I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all bland and soggy like
> that before.

The only way I have ever had it or made it is with tomatoes, chilies, onions
and lime juice. It's a coarse salsa. I have never heard of it made with
lettuce or cabbage.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <Va8uj.5852$eg3.3785@trndny05>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was a
> plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic tomatoes
> and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything and it was
> really wet.

Sounds like maybe the chef was sick that day and a sub was cooking and
didn't know how to make pico. Or maybe produce prices required some
ad-libbing. IdaKnow.
I've had the pico served *on* shredded lettuce, but not with the lettuce
mixed in.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
> stuff?

I lived in Texas for many years and ate at more Mexican places than you can
shake a stick at and never saw lettuce or cabbage in pico de gallo. Same for
Mexican restaurants I've visited in CA and other states (as well as a
Mexican place in the UK). Sounds pretty odd to me.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <d79uj.7768$wK4.4988@trndny01>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..
>

> > I can't say I've ever had that either? It is usually just tomatoes,
> > onions, cilantro and jalapeno peppers, perhaps with a little salt and lime
> > juice?
> > But I'm just a Tex-Mex girl. Maybe they do use more cabbage in Cal-Mex
> > food? No clue what they actually do in Mexico.
> > I do know that pico de gallo means "beak of the rooster" though!

> I'm in WA so this wouldn't be Cal-Mex.

Maybe it's more Sal-Mex. The cuisine of El Salvador has a coleslaw-type
dish called curtido. Maybe your pico de gallo was made by a Salvadoran
cook.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 04:53:09 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
>tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>
>The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs slightly
>depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some finely
>shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red powder on it. Chili
>powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they make it, I always like it.
>
>But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was a
>plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic tomatoes
>and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything and it was
>really wet.
>
>So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
>stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places but I don't
>recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that particular
>restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two weeks or so and
>I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all bland and soggy like that
>before.

I've never seen or heard of it, which doesn't mean Jack, but for me I
would prefer cabbage over the lettuce for the little extra
crunchiness. I think the flavors would blend well.
Also, if you are making pico de gallo for a large crowd it sure would
serve more people.

Hmmm I think I'll make some today, I have all the ingredients. I think
it would be great on pork.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 2/17
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-02-18, Julie Bove > wrote:

> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
> stuff?

Not too common, but I wouldn't bitch too much if a place added a little
extra without messing up the basic concept. Roma tomatoes, regular and/or
grn onions, garlic, chilies, cilantro, lime, etc. Not rocket science. I
can see a little cabbage or lettuce or jicama added if diced small enough.
Avocado is always welcome and the best I've ever tasted included it. Let's
not get too anal about it. Mexican != French.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
> tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>
> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs slightly
> depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some finely
> shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red powder on it. Chili
> powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they make it, I always like it.
>
> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was a
> plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic tomatoes
> and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything and it was
> really wet.
>
> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
> stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places but I don't
> recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that particular
> restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two weeks or so and
> I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all bland and soggy like that
> before.

Living here on the border in Southeastmost Texas, Pico De Gallo is
exclusively fresh tomato, sweet onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime.
There are other "salsas" that range all over the place, but it is not
common to put anything but the above 5 ingredients into Pico.

I'd have to say the same for it at restaurants in the interior of
Mexico. One place might have a higher concentration of jalapeno than
another but the base ingredients are the same.

What you were served, IMHO, was something else. Even Pace company puts
something in a jar and tells us with advertising that it's "salsa" If
they mean it is a sauce, then I guess they are correct as that is what
the word "salsa" means, but you'd be hard put to find a Borderland
Mexican restaurant with any of that ketchupy goop on their tables.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> modom freaked me right out when he told me about a pico de gallo with
> jicama in it. I'm guessing it was texas style.

Definitely NOT Texas style. We know better here. :-)

> Below is the preferred recipe I make at home in Canada.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Pico De Gallo Salsa
>
> none
>
> 2 or 3 serrano or jalapeno chiles,; stems & seeds removed,
> 1 or 2 bell peppers (red, green, yellow); your choice chopped
> 1 large red onion, finely chopped
> 4 medium roma tomatoes, finely chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped; or more
> 1/4 bunch finely chopped cilantro
> 1 juice of 1 fresh lime
>
> Finely chop the garlic and cilantro. Chop the other ingredients a lot or
> a little. To make a chunky to your choice Salsa.
> Squeeze the juice of the lime over the combined ingredients. Be sure hot
> peppers are seeded and the white parts has been removed. A little salt
> doesn't hurt.
>
> Notes...
> juicer tomatoes work well too.
> If no hot peppers use hot sauce instead and add more coloured bell
> peppers.
>
> Be sure to wash hands well after handling hot peppers.
> Let the salsa rest in the fridge a couple of hours to over nite to let
> the marry well.
>
> Good with corn chips or on fajitas or tacos...Even ok on pasta.
> Lemon juice or vinegar can replace the lime . But fresh lime juice is
> the best.
>
> Coloured bell peppers make it look nicer but green peppers are cheaper
> and work well too.

No bell peppers in the traditional pico do gallo and no garlic either.
I guess you have a Canadian version.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article <d79uj.7768$wK4.4988@trndny01>,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>

>> > I can't say I've ever had that either? It is usually just tomatoes,
>> > onions, cilantro and jalapeno peppers, perhaps with a little salt and
>> > lime
>> > juice?
>> > But I'm just a Tex-Mex girl. Maybe they do use more cabbage in Cal-Mex
>> > food? No clue what they actually do in Mexico.
>> > I do know that pico de gallo means "beak of the rooster" though!

>> I'm in WA so this wouldn't be Cal-Mex.

> Maybe it's more Sal-Mex. The cuisine of El Salvador has a coleslaw-type
> dish called curtido. Maybe your pico de gallo was made by a Salvadoran
> cook.

Could be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zipporah" > wrote in message

> I've never seen lettuce or cabbage in pico de gallo. Not in Mexico, not
> in California, not even in the Midwest. Sounds a trifle odd.

Hmmm... Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
>>tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>>
>> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs
>> slightly depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some
>> finely shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red powder on
>> it. Chili powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they make it, I
>> always like it.
>>
>> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was
>> a plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic
>> tomatoes and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything
>> and it was really wet.
>>
>> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
>> stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places but I
>> don't recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that particular
>> restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two weeks or so
>> and I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all bland and soggy
>> like that before.

> The only way I have ever had it or made it is with tomatoes, chilies,
> onions and lime juice. It's a coarse salsa. I have never heard of it
> made with lettuce or cabbage.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article <Va8uj.5852$eg3.3785@trndny05>,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was
>> plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic
>> tomatoes
>> and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything and it
>> was
>> really wet.

> Sounds like maybe the chef was sick that day and a sub was cooking and
> didn't know how to make pico. Or maybe produce prices required some
> ad-libbing. IdaKnow.
> I've had the pico served *on* shredded lettuce, but not with the lettuce
> mixed in.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe one or the other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MareCat" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
>> stuff?

> I lived in Texas for many years and ate at more Mexican places than you
> can shake a stick at and never saw lettuce or cabbage in pico de gallo.
> Same for Mexican restaurants I've visited in CA and other states (as well
> as a Mexican place in the UK). Sounds pretty odd to me.

That's what I thought. I was beginning to think the cabbage was more common
because I've gotten it at other places with a tiny bit of cabbage in it.
But never lettuce!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2008-02-18, Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
>> stuff?

> Not too common, but I wouldn't bitch too much if a place added a little
> extra without messing up the basic concept. Roma tomatoes, regular and/or
> grn onions, garlic, chilies, cilantro, lime, etc. Not rocket science. I
> can see a little cabbage or lettuce or jicama added if diced small enough.
> Avocado is always welcome and the best I've ever tasted included it.
> Let's
> not get too anal about it. Mexican != French.

I wouldn't like it with avocado in it. I hate avocado.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
>> tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>>
>> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs
>> slightly depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some
>> finely shredded cabbage in it. And sometimes they put a red powder on
>> it. Chili powder? Cayenne? I don't know. However they make it, I
>> always like it.
>>
>> But the other day we dined at a restaurant that served us a joke. It was
>> a plate of mainly shredded soggy lettuce with some chopped up anemic
>> tomatoes and seemingly little else. It didn't really taste like anything
>> and it was really wet.
>>
>> So my question is... How common is it to put lettuce or cabbage in the
>> stuff? I have gotten cabbage on occasion at a few other places but I
>> don't recall ever getting lettuce. And certainly not at that particular
>> restaurant before. It's a place we dine at about every two weeks or so
>> and I always get the pico de gallo. Never had it all bland and soggy
>> like that before.
>>

> Living here on the border in Southeastmost Texas, Pico De Gallo is
> exclusively fresh tomato, sweet onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime. There
> are other "salsas" that range all over the place, but it is not common to
> put anything but the above 5 ingredients into Pico.
>
> I'd have to say the same for it at restaurants in the interior of Mexico.
> One place might have a higher concentration of jalapeno than another but
> the base ingredients are the same.
>
> What you were served, IMHO, was something else. Even Pace company puts
> something in a jar and tells us with advertising that it's "salsa" If they
> mean it is a sauce, then I guess they are correct as that is what the word
> "salsa" means, but you'd be hard put to find a Borderland Mexican
> restaurant with any of that ketchupy goop on their tables.

Yeah. I don't much like the jarred salsas. I will use them in cooking but
not for dipping my chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>> Sounds like maybe the chef was sick that day and a sub was cooking and
>> didn't know how to make pico. Or maybe produce prices required some
>> ad-libbing. IdaKnow.
>> I've had the pico served *on* shredded lettuce, but not with the lettuce
>> mixed in.

> Yeah, I was thinking maybe one or the other.

I was thinking you got someones leftovers served back to you.
<shrug>
I have wondered that about bread and chip baskets that are left near
full as diners depart. How unscrupulous places might reserve it...?

I don't want to think toooooo much about it though... I may get squeamish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
> tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>
> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs slightly
> depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some finely
> shredded cabbage in it.

There's a local restaurant owned by a family from Monterrey,
IIRC. Their pico de gallo always has finely shredded cabbage
along with the other ingredients you mentioned. It's
delicious even though I'm not a cabbage fan.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know there are many different recipes for this but most include onions,
>> tomatoes, cilantro and lime.
>>
>> The Mexican restaurant we dined at tonight seems to change theirs
>> slightly depending on what they have in the kitchen. Tonight it had some
>> finely shredded cabbage in it.

> There's a local restaurant owned by a family from Monterrey, IIRC. Their
> pico de gallo always has finely shredded cabbage along with the other
> ingredients you mentioned. It's delicious even though I'm not a cabbage
> fan.

I'm glad someone else has had it with cabbage!

My best pico de gallo! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 2 06-12-2014 12:38 PM
pico de gallo Bobo Bonobo® General Cooking 6 08-04-2009 03:12 AM
Pico De Gallo [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2009 07:34 AM
Pico de gallo Julie Bove Diabetic 50 24-08-2008 04:52 PM
Pico de Gallo (1962) Barry Popik Historic 0 12-11-2004 02:26 AM