Reheating Meat Pies

Old 17-02-2008, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reheating Meat Pies

My wife and I are having an Oscars Party next weekend. With reference
to Sweeny Todd, we are serving meat pies. We prepared a large batch
and froze them so we won't have to spend much time in the kitchen when
we're entertaining. What's the best way to heat them? They are about
2.5 x 4" and the one I weighed was slightly less than 2 oz.

Also, even though they were hot, moist, and delicious when we sampled
them, I'm wondering if some kind of gravy would be a good idea when we
serve them reheated. The only problem is it converts them from easy
to eat finger food to something requiring at least a fork. Suggestions
are welcome.

Old 17-02-2008, 10:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Simon wrote:

My wife and I are having an Oscars Party next weekend. With reference
to Sweeny Todd, we are serving meat pies. We prepared a large batch
and froze them so we won't have to spend much time in the kitchen when
we're entertaining. What's the best way to heat them? They are about
2.5 x 4" and the one I weighed was slightly less than 2 oz.

They sound more like pasties than pies. :-) Probably the best way
would be to let them thaw, time permitting, and then reheat them in the
200C (400F) oven for 15-25 minutes or so (it depends on the pasties
and the oven). If reheating from frozen, it can take up to 45 minutes.
You can also use a microwave, but it usually does nothing for the dough.
Still, consider microwaving one or two pies/pasties and see if you like
the results.

Victor
Old 18-02-2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:51:45 +0100, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

Bob Simon wrote:

My wife and I are having an Oscars Party next weekend. With reference
to Sweeny Todd, we are serving meat pies. We prepared a large batch
and froze them so we won't have to spend much time in the kitchen when
we're entertaining. What's the best way to heat them? They are about
2.5 x 4" and the one I weighed was slightly less than 2 oz.

They sound more like pasties than pies. :-) Probably the best way
would be to let them thaw, time permitting, and then reheat them in the
200C (400F) oven for 15-25 minutes or so (it depends on the pasties
and the oven). If reheating from frozen, it can take up to 45 minutes.
You can also use a microwave, but it usually does nothing for the dough.
Still, consider microwaving one or two pies/pasties and see if you like
the results.

Victor

Victor,
Hello, this is the wife. Thanks for replying. These *are* more like
pasties. They're made of an egg bread dough, which was 1/4 inch thick
and cut into circles of 4 inches diameter. Then we put a heaping
teaspoon of cooked ground meat, hard-cooked egg and seasonings in the
center, folded them in half, and baked them at 350 for about 15
minutes. So I'm concerned that a re-baking at 400 for another 15
minutes would be way too much time. What do you think? Also, do you
think we should brush them with an egg wash before re-baking? We
forgot to do that on the initial baking!
thanks,
Fran
Old 18-02-2008, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Simon wrote in
:

wrote:

Bob Simon wrote:

[...]

a egg wash...it would help brown them up some.

Defrost them first...

As I understand it; the filling is cooked and the dough requires cooking
and browning, while the filling is warmed... so 350-375 for 20-25 minutes
should do the trick of warming the filling and cooking the dough crust on a
whole oven full. But check them after 15 minutes, as I ain't all seeing.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 18-02-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Simon wrote:

Hello, this is the wife. Thanks for replying. These *are* more like
pasties. They're made of an egg bread dough, which was 1/4 inch thick
and cut into circles of 4 inches diameter. Then we put a heaping
teaspoon of cooked ground meat, hard-cooked egg and seasonings in the
center, folded them in half, and baked them at 350 for about 15
minutes. So I'm concerned that a re-baking at 400 for another 15
minutes would be way too much time. What do you think? Also, do you
think we should brush them with an egg wash before re-baking? We
forgot to do that on the initial baking!

Brushing them with an egg wash might be a good idea, at least with some
of the pasties, to see if you like them better that way. Russian
pirozhki, a kind of pasties, are often enough brushed with egg wash. I
think it would work even with the already baked pasties.

As to the temperature and the time, here, for comparison, are some
suggestions from commercial sites, both for frozen and for defrosted
pasties:

http://www.pastyman.com/cooked-cornish-pasties.php

http://www.ilovepasties.com/shipping.htm

http://www.dobberspasties.com/v2/the_pasty.php

http://www.pasties-by-post.co.uk/cooking.php

http://www.pasty.com/faq.html#bake

http://www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com/frozen-ready-meals/beef-ready-meals/cornish-pasty_410503.asp#intrStart

Victor
Old 19-02-2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Bob Simon wrote:

[...]

Think of your pasties as something you'd get from the freezer case
at the grocery store --- most premade frozen snacks take about 10-15
minutes at 350-400 degrees F to reheat. I don't think Victor's idea
is off base. OTOH, maybe you could take a couple out now and try
testing reheat methods. Better to find out now than at your party...

--
Jani in WA
Old 20-02-2008, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

od idea when we
serve them reheated. *The only problem is it converts them from easy
to eat finger food to something requiring at least a fork. Suggestions
are welcome.

Instead of worrying about a gravy, I'd put out some kind of dipping
sauce like honey/mustard, Ranch dressing, or the like, and let people
choose what they want. You can put individual servings in those
little paper candy cups, or use half an endive leaf, which is usually
cupped in shape - that prevents worrying about "double dippers." This
keeps them as finger food.

I'd thaw them in the wrapper (in the fridge) and then heat them,
uncovered, on foil, at about 350 for 7-10 minutes or so until they're
hot. Take one out of the freezer before-hand and experiment with it.

N.
Old 24-02-2008, 09:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:46:20 +0100, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

Bob Simon wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the tips on reheating pasties. A special thank you
to Victor who took the time to look up and provide the URLs for all
those sites.

Last night we experimented and found that defrosting the pies then
reheating for 12 minutes at 325 thoroughly heated them without drying
them out at all. We decided to pass on the wash for the sake of
simplicity.
Bob
Old 04-03-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Bob Simon wrote:

[...]

When you reheat something frozen you don't need to use a high oven
temperature... you're not cooking it from scratch, just thawing it out
and warming it up. Heat them on 300F, not 400. It'll probably take at
least 30 minutes to thaw/heat them.

And no, there's no need to add gravy to them.