Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Tenant - New Stove

The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
invaded by nesting creatures. When the oven was turned on after four
years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
for replacement anyway.

Ordered this:

http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...KWH&lpage=none

Slumlord
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> invaded by nesting creatures. When the oven was turned on after four
> years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> for replacement anyway.
>
> Ordered this:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb
>
> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...KWH&lpage=none
>

> Slumlord

How many oven racks?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon said...

> The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> invaded by nesting creatures. When the oven was turned on after four
> years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> for replacement anyway.
>
> Ordered this:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb
>
> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...Id=225555-83-J
> BP22BKWH&lpage=none
>

> Slumlord

That's as bare bones as it gets!

"Power cord sold separately" WTF?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote
>
> > The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> > invaded by nesting creatures. �When the oven was turned on after four
> > years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> > for replacement anyway.

> > Ordered this:

> >http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

> >http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=225555-....

> > Slumlord

> How many oven racks?

Lowes says 6 rack positions.

Gee, I don't know how many racks, let's see...

GE says two racks... I'd say that's standard for a basic range. My
own fancy GE Profile came with three racks, but I've never used but
two.

http://tinyurl.com/39b4hv

http://products.geappliances.com/App...CH0004&TABID=2

The new tenant is very happy I'm getting her a new stove rather than
trying to clean the old one... which would you rather have?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 9:27�am, "Andy <q>" <q> wrote:
> Sheldon said...
>
> > The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> > invaded by nesting creatures. �When the oven was turned on after four
> > years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> > for replacement anyway.

> > Ordered this:

> >http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

> >http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=225555-....
> > BP22BKWH&lpage=none

> > Slumlord

> That's as bare bones as it gets!

Actually it's not, granted it's not the fanciest in the bells and
whistles department but there are far barer bones models... this one
has a self clean oven, digital oven temperature display, an oven door
window and a few more features, listed at the GE web site. It's for a
tenant, she may abuse it and leave in a couple of months, it would be
silly to buy anything fancier for rental. Were I renting I would much
prefer brand new bare bones than beat to hell high end.

> "Power cord sold separately" WTF?

You've obviously never bought a new electric range, or a new electric
clothes drier either... the power cord is always sold separately
because if it's a replacement the cord from the old unit can be reused
(or it may be hardwired and needs no cord), and those 220V cords ain't
cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jay wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > Sheldon said...

> >> The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> >> invaded by nesting creatures. �When the oven was turned on after four
> >> years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> >> for replacement anyway.

> >> Ordered this:

> >>http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

> >>http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=225555-...
> >> BP22BKWH&lpage=none

> >> Slumlord

> > That's as bare bones as it gets!

> > "Power cord sold separately" WTF?

> New electric dryers same. �All connections are not the same so they get to
> sell the cords separately. �$$$..

Actually they are all the same (in the US). The reason they're sold
separately is because they're kinda costly and not everyone needs a
new cord, or any cord... often 220V appliances are hard wired.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
"Janet Bostwick" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote
>
> > The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> > invaded by nesting creatures. ?When the oven was turned on after four
> > years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> > for replacement anyway.

> > Ordered this:

> >http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

> >http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=225555-...

> > Slumlord

> How many oven racks?

Lowes says 6 rack positions.

Gee, I don't know how many racks, let's see...

GE says two racks... I'd say that's standard for a basic range. My
own fancy GE Profile came with three racks, but I've never used but
two.

http://tinyurl.com/39b4hv

http://products.geappliances.com/App...CH0004&TABID=2

The new tenant is very happy I'm getting her a new stove rather than
trying to clean the old one... which would you rather have?

I'd rather have the new one, of course. I was just wondering about the oven
racks. I've been looking for a new wall oven and have noticed that 2 racks
is more common than 3. I've always had 3 and use all 3 most of the time.
The only time I remove a rack or 2 is when I'm doing the holiday turkey or
similar. Three racks works very well for baking items if you have a
convection oven, which I do.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote

> I've been looking for a new wall oven and have noticed that 2 racks is
> more common than 3. I've always had 3 and use all 3 most of the time. The
> only time I remove a rack or 2 is when I'm doing the holiday turkey or
> similar. Three racks works very well for baking items if you have a
> convection oven, which I do.
> Janet

I love wall ovens, I would not have any other kind. Mine has three
racks, too. I think it was made in 1963.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:41:32 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

> Three racks works very well for baking items if you have a
>convection oven, which I do.

3 racks or even 4 are common in European style convection (only)
ovens. Two racks is the norm here in the states for conventional and
combination conventional/convection ovens. If we want a third rack,
we take one from the other oven. Personally, I've never had a need to
do use 3 or 4 racks. It's usually the other way around for me, I take
one out.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 10:41�am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" wrote:
> > "Sheldon" wrote

> > > The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> > > invaded by nesting creatures. ?When the oven was turned on after four
> > > years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> > > for replacement anyway.

> > > Ordered this:

> > >http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

> > >http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=225555-...

> > > Slumlord

> > How many oven racks?

> Lowes says 6 rack positions.
>
> Gee, I don't know how many racks, let's see...
>
> GE says two racks... I'd say that's standard for a basic range. �My
> own fancy GE Profile came with three racks, but I've never used but
> two.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/39b4hv
>
> http://products.geappliances.com/App...r?REQUEST=SPEC...
>
> The new tenant is very happy I'm getting her a new stove rather than
> trying to clean the old one... which would you rather have?
>
> I'd rather have the new one, of course. �I was just wondering about the oven
> racks. �I've been looking for a new wall oven and have noticed that 2 racks
> is more common than 3. �I've always had 3 and use all 3 most of the time.
> The only time I remove a rack or 2 is when I'm doing the holiday turkey or
> similar. �Three racks works very well for baking items if you have a
> convection oven, which I do.

Well, la di dah for you and your convection oven. This is quite
obviously not a convection oven. And if someone wanted extra/
replacement oven racks they are readily available, and not very
costly... often wihin the same brand the racks are interchangeable
year after year and amongst all their various models of the same
width. And sometimes different brands use the same racks because the
only real difference among many brands is the name plate and some
trim, it's the same appliance made in the same factory, ie. Kenmore
makes nothing, it's only a name.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Feb 10, 10:41?am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" wrote:
> > "Sheldon" wrote

> > > The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> > > invaded by nesting creatures. ?When the oven was turned on after four
> > > years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> > > for replacement anyway.

> > > Ordered this:

> > >http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

> > >http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=225555-...

> > > Slumlord

> > How many oven racks?

> Lowes says 6 rack positions.
>
> Gee, I don't know how many racks, let's see...
>
> GE says two racks... I'd say that's standard for a basic range. ?My
> own fancy GE Profile came with three racks, but I've never used but
> two.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/39b4hv
>
> http://products.geappliances.com/App...r?REQUEST=SPEC...
>
> The new tenant is very happy I'm getting her a new stove rather than
> trying to clean the old one... which would you rather have?
>
> I'd rather have the new one, of course. ?I was just wondering about the
> oven
> racks. ?I've been looking for a new wall oven and have noticed that 2
> racks
> is more common than 3. ?I've always had 3 and use all 3 most of the time.
> The only time I remove a rack or 2 is when I'm doing the holiday turkey or
> similar. ?Three racks works very well for baking items if you have a
> convection oven, which I do.

Well, la di dah for you and your convection oven. This is quite
obviously not a convection oven. And if someone wanted extra/
replacement oven racks they are readily available, and not very
costly... often wihin the same brand the racks are interchangeable
year after year and amongst all their various models of the same
width. And sometimes different brands use the same racks because the
only real difference among many brands is the name plate and some
trim, it's the same appliance made in the same factory, ie. Kenmore
makes nothing, it's only a name.

If I hadn't explained that I had a convection oven, you would have said that
I knew nothing because it wasn't possible to bake anything using 3 racks at
a time. ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough > wrote:

> � �Here's a tip; photocopy the instruction manuals of all your rental
> tenancy machines/gadgets etc, and leave the copies in a file for the
> tenant. Keep the originals for your own reference, because you won't
> always get the tenant's copy back for the next person to use.

This was a good idea years ago and I used to do exactly that with my
rental property appliances, but nowadays just about all user manuals
are available for free on line. Actually in more than forty years of
landlording I've had tenants who have caused damage they didn't pay to
repair and who hadn't paid rent for months, etc., but I've never had a
tenant abscond with the appliance manuals. Twice I've had tenants
abscond with the appliances... but even they left the manuals. I
don't think too many people actually read the appliance manuals. I do
retain the purchase documents, and I take photographs of the
appliances in place. I only supply a fridge and stove... dishwasher,
and laundry appliances they can buy themselves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 12:02�pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> On Feb 10, 10:41?am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>

> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > "Janet Bostwick" wrote:
> > > "Sheldon" wrote

> > > How many oven racks?

> > Lowes says 6 rack positions.

> > Gee, I don't know how many racks, let's see...

> > GE says two racks... I'd say that's standard for a basic range. ?My
> > own fancy GE Profile came with three racks, but I've never used but
> > two.

> >http://tinyurl.com/39b4hv

> >http://products.geappliances.com/App...r?REQUEST=SPEC....

> > The new tenant is very happy I'm getting her a new stove rather than
> > trying to clean the old one... which would you rather have?

> > I'd rather have the new one, of course. ?I was just wondering about the
> > oven
> > racks. ?I've been looking for a new wall oven and have noticed that 2
> > racks
> > is more common than 3. ?I've always had 3 and use all 3 most of the time..
> > The only time I remove a rack or 2 is when I'm doing the holiday turkey or
> > similar. ?Three racks works very well for baking items if you have a
> > convection oven, which I do.

> Well, la di dah for you and your convection oven. �This is quite
> obviously not a convection oven. �And if someone wanted extra/
> replacement oven racks they are readily available, and not very
> costly... often wihin the same brand the racks are interchangeable
> year after year and amongst all their various models of the same
> width. �And sometimes different brands use the same racks because the
> only real difference among many brands is the name plate and some
> trim, it's the same appliance made in the same factory, ie. Kenmore
> makes nothing, it's only a name.
>
> If I hadn't explained that I had a convection oven, you would have said that
> I knew nothing because it wasn't possible to bake anything using 3 racks at
> a time.

Don't assume. It's very easy to bake on three racks at a time with a
conventional oven... I've done that in the past. The main reason I
don't like convection ovens is because I don't like how they bake, I
don't want the same temperature top and bottom, I want my oven hotter
towards the top, so I would never use that feature, so why pay for it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> Ordered this:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb
>>
>> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...KWH&lpage=none
>>

>> Slumlord

> How many oven racks?
> Janet

Sheldon would not buy it if it didn't have a nice rack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<q> wrote in message

> "Power cord sold separately" WTF?
>
> Andy

Older houses need a 3 wire, newer ones (about 10 years) need 4 wire. If you
are junking the old range you can use the old cord too. Dryers are sold the
same way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>>
>> I've been looking for a new wall oven and have noticed that 2 racks is
>> more common than 3. I've always had 3 and use all 3 most of the time.
>> The only time I remove a rack or 2 is when I'm doing the holiday turkey
>> or similar. Three racks works very well for baking items if you have a
>> convection oven, which I do.
>> Janet

> I love wall ovens, I would not have any other kind. Mine has three
> racks, too. I think it was made in 1963.

I'd like to see an oven that has a side-hinged door for a couple reasons.

One, the door is not a shelf for heavy loads and the stress when a roasting
pan is set on it for basting, for example, will take it's toll.

And two, the door folding down occupies floor space that you have to work
around. If it was side hinged you could get right up to the racks without
burning yourself or the awkwardness of not having the racks within your
reach, if you're weak handed.

My ovens are overhead of the cooktop. And the doors open up and out of the
way. A 1967-1969 (??) model.

I hoped the microwave oven folks would've set the standard in side-hinged
ovens but the regular oven folks didn't notice. That's a generalization of
course.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <b0b7c099-112b-485d-9bbb-8965e95a8d84@
1g2000hsl.googlegroups.com>, says...
> The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> invaded by nesting creatures. When the oven was turned on after four
> years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> for replacement anyway.
>
> Ordered this:

http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...KWH&lpage=none
>

> Slumlord

Hey Slumlord, couldn't you at least spring for a 36"? A 30" doesn't
exactly work well with a decent sized roasting pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

T. Rex wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> > invaded by nesting creatures. �When the oven was turned on after four
> > years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> > for replacement anyway.

> > Ordered this:

> >http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

> >http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=225555-....

> > Slumlord

> Hey Slumlord, couldn't you at least spring for a 36"? A 30" doesn't
> exactly work well with a decent sized roasting pan.

You weigh 700 pounds and think you're on a diet because you only eat
for six. My tenant is a single female who lives with a 10 pound toy
dacshund and if she weighs 100 pounds it's a lot... what pray tell
would they do with restaurant sized pans full of your cheapo mac n'
cheese... I don't think you're her type, you behemoth o'beastie.

And I suppose it never occurred to you that 36" ain't gonna fit into a
30" hole, pinhead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:07:53p, T told us...

http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

>> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...tId=225555-83-
>> JBP22BKWH&lpage=none
>>

>> Slumlord
>>

> Hey Slumlord, couldn't you at least spring for a 36"? A 30" doesn't
> exactly work well with a decent sized roasting pan.

Unless the range is freestanding by itself, most spaces in kitchens today
are "automatically" sized to fit a 30" range between cabinets. We have a
new house with the same situation, and something I couldn't change during
construction without considerable cost difference. Ideally, I would prefer
a built-in cooktop and wall ovens. Maybe someday...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 02(II)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
'That's funny ho ho, I want funny ha ha.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:
> Hey Slumlord, couldn't you at least spring for a 36"? A 30" doesn't
> exactly work well with a decent sized roasting pan.

Define "decent sized." My roasting pan accommodates 28 pounds and fits
sweetly into the oven of my 30 incher. I'll venture that there aren't
many tenants in rental units that need or expect anything other than a
basic 30 inch range. The last time I had anything larger than that in a
rental unit was an OLD 36 inch gas range in a run-down Manhattan
tenement apartment. It was about the only thing that still worked in the
place. I produced some great meals on it, but I also turned out some
great stuff on teeny 20 inch apartment stoves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 3:24�pm, Pennyaline > wrote:
> T wrote:
> > Hey Slumlord, couldn't you at least spring for a 36"? A 30" doesn't
> > exactly work well with a decent sized roasting pan.

> Define "decent sized." My roasting pan accommodates 28 pounds and fits
> sweetly into the oven of my 30 incher. I'll venture that there aren't
> many tenants in rental units that need or expect anything other than a
> basic 30 inch range. The last time I had anything larger than that in a
> rental unit was an OLD 36 inch gas range in a run-down Manhattan
> tenement apartment. It was about the only thing that still worked in the
> place. I produced some great meals on it, but I also turned out some
> great stuff on teeny 20 inch apartment stoves.

When paying their own utilities tenants don't want any monster oven,
especially not when it's electric... actually for a single a 20" stove
is more than adequate... I had a 24" stove in my first apartment and
it worked fine for me (landlord paid utilities, probably why the small
stove), in fact on my next move the 30" stove seemed humongus, and
there I paid the electric... that oven on it's own was responsible for
fully half my electric bill, that was the only time I ever had a
toaster oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> In article <b0b7c099-112b-485d-9bbb-8965e95a8d84@
>> 1g2000hsl.googlegroups.com>, says...
>>> The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
>>> invaded by nesting creatures. When the oven was turned on after four
>>> years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
>>> for replacement anyway.
>>>
>>> Ordered this:

http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

>>> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...tId=225555-83-
>>> JBP22BKWH&lpage=none
>>>

>>> Slumlord
>>>

>> Hey Slumlord, couldn't you at least spring for a 36"? A 30" doesn't
>> exactly work well with a decent sized roasting pan.
>>

> Unless the range is freestanding by itself, most spaces in kitchens today
> are "automatically" sized to fit a 30" range between cabinets. We have a
> new house with the same situation, and something I couldn't change during
> construction without considerable cost difference. Ideally, I would
> prefer
> a built-in cooktop and wall ovens. Maybe someday...
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

We have a 30" double oven (convection oven on top) and a separate cooktop.
Upgraded from a 27" single oven with a microwave above that).

I haven't had any problems with a 30" ovens being too small.

One thing I wish we would have done would have been to upgrade the cooktop
to 36" (or larger) instead of the 30" we have now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
> invaded by nesting creatures. When the oven was turned on after four
> years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
> for replacement anyway.
>
> Ordered this:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb
>
> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...5555-83-JBP22B
> KWH&lpage=none
>

> Slumlord

OK.
The appealing part about that model, AFAIC, is the arrangement of the
burners. I want two big and two small and I want one of the big ones to
be right front; logic puts the other one kitty corner in the back left.
The only thing I'm not nuts about in the model you've ordered is that
the controls are in the back. I like them in the front where I don't
have to reach across or over anything that could be hot.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> Ordered this:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb
>>>
>>> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...KWH&lpage=none
>>>

>>> Slumlord

>> How many oven racks?
>> Janet

> Sheldon would not buy it if it didn't have a nice rack.

And I've never known a man to say no to an adjustable rack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 10 Feb 2008 02:50:57p, Chris Marksberry told us...

>>> In article <b0b7c099-112b-485d-9bbb-8965e95a8d84@
>>> 1g2000hsl.googlegroups.com>, says...

http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb

83-

>>> Hey Slumlord, couldn't you at least spring for a 36"? A 30" doesn't
>>> exactly work well with a decent sized roasting pan.
>>>

>> Unless the range is freestanding by itself, most spaces in kitchens

today
>> are "automatically" sized to fit a 30" range between cabinets. We have

>> new house with the same situation, and something I couldn't change

during
>> construction without considerable cost difference. Ideally, I would
>> prefer a built-in cooktop and wall ovens. Maybe someday...
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> We have a 30" double oven (convection oven on top) and a separate

cooktop.
> Upgraded from a 27" single oven with a microwave above that).
>
> I haven't had any problems with a 30" ovens being too small.
>
> One thing I wish we would have done would have been to upgrade the

cooktop
> to 36" (or larger) instead of the 30" we have now.

I wouldn't have a need for an oven larger than 30" either, but it would be
nice to have an oven mounted either at eye level or waist level. I agree,
too, that a 36" cooktop would be a nice upgrade.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 02(II)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Going out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 10 Feb 2008 02:58:13p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article
> >,
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> The 1979 harvest gold Kenmore electric range in my rental house was
>> invaded by nesting creatures. When the oven was turned on after four
>> years of non use it stunk like the worst bbq ever... was long past due
>> for replacement anyway.
>>
>> Ordered this:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2be8tb
>>
>> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...tId=225555-83-
>> JBP22B KWH&lpage=none
>>

>> Slumlord

> OK.
> The appealing part about that model, AFAIC, is the arrangement of the
> burners. I want two big and two small and I want one of the big ones to
> be right front; logic puts the other one kitty corner in the back left.

Agreed.

> The only thing I'm not nuts about in the model you've ordered is that
> the controls are in the back. I like them in the front where I don't
> have to reach across or over anything that could be hot.

Extremely uncommon in 30" electric ranges, unless they're slide-in or drop-
in models. In fact, I've never seen a totally free-standing electric range
with the controls in the front. (not that they don't exist)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 02(II)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Laugh alone and the world thinks
you're an idiot

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The appealing part about that model, AFAIC, is the arrangement of the
> burners. I want two big and two small and I want one of the big ones to
> be right front; logic puts the other one kitty corner in the back left.
> The only thing I'm not nuts about in the model you've ordered is that
> the controls are in the back. I like them in the front where I don't
> have to reach across or over anything that could be hot.

Controls in the back are great and safer for households with
little kids who
love to play with dials.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> The only thing I'm not nuts about in the model you've ordered is that
> the controls are in the back. I like them in the front where I don't
> have to reach across or over anything that could be hot.

In Germany, you would have hard time finding anything in the way of
stoves or ranges with the controls anywhere *but* in the front. The
very idea of controls in the back is ridiculous in the extreme - and
I've seen and used such stoves in England. Ugh.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester > wrote:

>Controls in the back are great and safer for households with
>little kids who
>love to play with dials.

I suspect they also save money, given the cost of copper. Having
the controls in the back situates them between the power input
and the burners.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> The appealing part about that model, AFAIC, is the arrangement of the
>> burners. I want two big and two small and I want one of the big ones to
>> be right front; logic puts the other one kitty corner in the back left.
>> The only thing I'm not nuts about in the model you've ordered is that the
>> controls are in the back. I like them in the front where I don't have to
>> reach across or over anything that could be hot.

> Controls in the back are great and safer for households with little kids
> who
> love to play with dials.
>
> gloria p

I love my control placement. It was one of the reasons I picked out this
cooktop. Of course now it's been discontinued, but something similar is
still available.

http://tinyurl.com/yu6j8o

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
..
And I suppose it never occurred to you that 36" ain't gonna fit into a
30" hole, pinhead.

------------------------
GM:

I dunno...the cyberSCUZ does that *all* the time...she calls it
"professional courtesy".

;-p

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:59:33 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:

>>> The appealing part about that model, AFAIC, is the arrangement of the
>>> burners. I want two big and two small and I want one of the big ones to
>>> be right front; logic puts the other one kitty corner in the back left.
>>> The only thing I'm not nuts about in the model you've ordered is that the
>>> controls are in the back. I like them in the front where I don't have to
>>> reach across or over anything that could be hot.

>> Controls in the back are great and safer for households with little kids
>> who
>> love to play with dials.
>>
>> gloria p

>I love my control placement. It was one of the reasons I picked out this
>cooktop. Of course now it's been discontinued, but something similar is
>still available.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/yu6j8o

Nice kitchen.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 6:09�pm, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> .
> And I suppose it never occurred to you that 36" ain't gonna fit into a
> 30" hole, pinhead.
>
> ------------------------
> GM:
>
> I dunno...the cyberSCUZ does that *all* the time...she calls it
> "professional courtesy".
>
> ;-p
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Hmm, don't ya think with cyberslop those numbers are reversed...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 10 Feb 2008 04:24:37p, Janet Baraclough told us...

> The message 4>
> from Wayne Boatwright > contains these
> words:
>
>> On Sun 10 Feb 2008 02:58:13p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

>> > The only thing I'm not nuts about in the model you've ordered is that
>> > the controls are in the back. I like them in the front where I don't
>> > have to reach across or over anything that could be hot.

>> Extremely uncommon in 30" electric ranges, unless they're slide-in or
>> drop- in models. In fact, I've never seen a totally free-standing
>> electric range with the controls in the front. (not that they don't
>> exist)

> I didn't even notice the controls at the back, probably because
> stoves always have the controls at the front here, for the reason Barb
> said.
>
> Janet (UK)

Yes, I knew that about electric stoves in the UK and Europe. Back mounted
controls on electric ranges in the US began to emerge in the the late 1930s
and have remained commonplace on the free-standing models ever since.

Another major difference is the use of open coils on the cooktop burners.
These have always been the "norm" in the US until the emergence of glass
top cooktops. If I'm not mistaken, the "norm" in most of the world is a
solid cast iron element for each burner. Several US manufacturers tried to
introduce these in the 1980s or so, but they never really caught on.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 02(II)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Dogs come when called; cats have
unlisted numbers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Puester > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> > The appealing part about that model, AFAIC, is the arrangement of the
> > burners. I want two big and two small and I want one of the big ones to
> > be right front; logic puts the other one kitty corner in the back left.
> > The only thing I'm not nuts about in the model you've ordered is that
> > the controls are in the back. I like them in the front where I don't
> > have to reach across or over anything that could be hot.

> Controls in the back are great and safer for households with
> little kids who
> love to play with dials.
>
> gloria p

I understand why they're where they are; I taught my kids to not mess
with the stove controls. The more I think about it, I'm not sure I'd
want a young cook with not a lot of experience at a hot stove to be
reaching to the back to adjust things. The industry doesn't give a rip
what I think, though. :-) Can't blame them.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

> I love my control placement. It was one of the reasons I picked out this
> cooktop. Of course now it's been discontinued, but something similar is
> still available.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yu6j8o

I was wondering how that microwave/hood works out for you over the
stovetop? Do you like it? When we re-do our kitchen I'd like that so
that it frees up counter space, yet can't stand feeling "closed in" over
large pots or pots on the rear burners. I like to be able to see down
into large pots as they simmer away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

On Feb 10, 6:09?pm, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> .
> And I suppose it never occurred to you that 36" ain't gonna fit into a
> 30" hole, pinhead.
>
> ------------------------
> GM:
>
> I dunno...the cyberSCUZ does that *all* the time...she calls it
> "professional courtesy".
>
> ;-p
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Hmm, don't ya think with cyberslop those numbers are reversed...

------------------------------
GM:

So THAT's why she uses Silly Putty instead of K - Y...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:35:07 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Chris Marksberry wrote:
>
>> I love my control placement. It was one of the reasons I picked out this
>> cooktop. Of course now it's been discontinued, but something similar is
>> still available.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/yu6j8o

>I was wondering how that microwave/hood works out for you over the
>stovetop? Do you like it? When we re-do our kitchen I'd like that so
>that it frees up counter space, yet can't stand feeling "closed in" over
>large pots or pots on the rear burners. I like to be able to see down
>into large pots as they simmer away.

I would *never* put a built in microwave/fan/filter over my stove. I
want strong ventilation that vents to the outside.

Stove to go koko General Cooking 9 25-04-2009 10:58 PM
New Tenant - New Stove nobody but us chickens[_3_] General Cooking 0 10-02-2008 06:36 PM
got a new used stove :) Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen General Cooking 4 25-01-2007 04:41 AM
On the stove biig General Cooking 8 06-03-2006 07:58 PM
Changing from an electric stove to a gas stove sue General Cooking 17 02-08-2004 10:26 PM