HAY Barb S. - "Zaprashka" (Slovak Roux)

Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default HAY Barb S. - "Zaprashka" (Slovak Roux)

Barb, on alt.binaries.food you mentioned "zaprashka", a Slovak take on
roux. Does one make this like an ordinary roux, and is there any further
light you can shed on this subject...???

IMWTK...

--
Best
Greg

Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Gregory Morrow" wrote:

Barb, on alt.binaries.food you mentioned "zaprashka", a Slovak take on
roux. Does one make this like an ordinary roux, and is there any further
light you can shed on this subject...???

IMWTK...

Let me check a couple of my cookbooks. . . .
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Gregory Morrow" wrote:

Barb, on alt.binaries.food you mentioned "zaprashka", a Slovak take on
roux. Does one make this like an ordinary roux, and is there any further
light you can shed on this subject...???

IMWTK...

Like an ordinary roux -- fat and flour and water (four cookbooks). I
can't find my copy of Slovensky Kucharka to see what it has to say about
it.

It seems that the fat is oil or drippings, not butter, and the liquid is
not milk. Sometimes chopped onions are browned as they are incorporated
into the fat and flour mixture. Cook until tan or brown before adding
the liquid. Mom used to thicken sauerkraut with it, using that juice
for the liquid instead of water. My Slovak dictionary says zaprazhit
means to thicken with flour.
\
Then again the recipe below calls for butter, not oil or lard. I've
posted it numerous times over the years. Just in time for Lent.
Some help, huh?
===============
Slovak Pea and Potato Soup

2 quarts water
2 cups diced potatoes (red, peeled)
1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
1 teaspoon salt
10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons flour

Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"); stir into soup to thicken
slightly. Cook until peas are done.

Notes: Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.
SERVINGS: 4
SOURCE: Mom
===============

Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 5, 8:15*pm, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:
Barb, on alt.binaries.food you mentioned *"zaprashka", a Slovak take on
roux. *Does one make this like an ordinary roux, and is there any further
light you can shed on this subject...???

IMWTK...

--
Best
Greg

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I saw, "Hay,...." and remembered:

Straw is cheaper, grass is free.
Horses eat it, why don't we.

N.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
*"Gregory Morrow" wrote:

[...]

Oh, thank you, luv! I'll try the soup, I like cheap 'n tasty...

--
Best
Greg

Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Barb, on alt.binaries.food you mentioned *"zaprashka", a Slovak take on
roux. *Does one make this like an ordinary roux, and is there any further
light you can shed on this subject...???

IMWTK...

--
Best
Greg

Sorry, I couldn't help it. *I saw, "Hay,...." and remembered:

Straw is cheaper, grass is free.
Horses eat it, why don't we.

Lol...

I get the "HAY" thing from a sign that hangs in my corner bar, it has
a cow saying "HAY, bartender...". It's from Wisconsin I think...

--
Moo
Greg

Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
*"Gregory Morrow" wrote:

[...]

Mom didn't do this, but a leetle bit of shicken base in the liquid may
enhance the taste. I love parsley.
Old 31-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Member

On alt.binaries.food you mentioned "zaprashka", a Slovak take on
roux. Does one make this like an ordinary roux, and is there any further
light you can shed on this subject...???

IMWTK...
--
Best
Greg[/quote]

"Slovak dishes"
Hello! I was Canadian-born, but both my parents were born in Eastern Slovakia around the time of WWI. I have just joined this site today after googling "Zaprashka". My mother used to make this browned roux to serve as a RED roux with her beef boiled dinners. She died a few years ago, but her sister (now 96) recently told me that my mother would have added Heinz Tomato juice to make that particular kind of zaprashka. Even now I make a quick and tasty SOUP with a brown butter roux (made of about 1.5 TBSP butter and the same of a.p. flour) to which I add 2-3 cups of canned Heinz Tomato juice. Whisk till blended, cook about 3 more minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste and serve. Delicious!