Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Natural casing vs. skinless hotdogs-opinions please

The last place in this area, (Northeast), that served natural casing
pork & beef hot dogs with homemade chili shut down last year for lack
of business. (One of the best chili dogs ever). They had been in
business for over 45 years and were located in a large urban area and
by a large college campus. The last time I went, there was me and one
other person in the place.

I could think of 5-6 hotdog joints within 1 mile that serve overcooked
skinless beef dogs and canned chili and they're succesfull. A couple
are okay, but not like a good, snappy dog. Did something happen that I
didn't notice?

What kind of hotdog do you like?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 29 Jan 2008 11:28:22p, alforgnel told us...

> The last place in this area, (Northeast), that served natural casing
> pork & beef hot dogs with homemade chili shut down last year for lack
> of business. (One of the best chili dogs ever). They had been in
> business for over 45 years and were located in a large urban area and
> by a large college campus. The last time I went, there was me and one
> other person in the place.
>
> I could think of 5-6 hotdog joints within 1 mile that serve overcooked
> skinless beef dogs and canned chili and they're succesfull. A couple
> are okay, but not like a good, snappy dog. Did something happen that I
> didn't notice?
>
> What kind of hotdog do you like?

Natural casings, hands down.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Actors will happen in the
best-regulated families.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> What kind of hotdog do you like?

> Natural casings, hands down.

Durex casings, hands up.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>> What kind of hotdog do you like?

>> Natural casings, hands down.

> Durex casings, hands up.

Spandex, Nomex......it hardly matters to a shark.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>> What kind of hotdog do you like?

>> Natural casings, hands down.

> Durex casings, hands up.

What is Durex? Sounds like a new condom material.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

alforgnel wrote:

> The last place in this area, (Northeast), that served natural casing
> pork & beef hot dogs with homemade chili shut down last year for lack
> of business.

> What kind of hotdog do you like?

I'm less concerned about the casings than the ingredients. I prefer
pork-based dogs over beef, but it's hard to get decent ones in the
grocery. Most companies have gone to adding nasty
mechanically-separated poultry to their products. There was a day when
the Oscar Mayer wiener was a pretty hotdog. These days it's squishy and
bland.

Than being a said, a decent option is the Johnsonville wieners. They
are all-pork, and natural casing to boot (in strings like the old
cartoons). They aren't too expensive, a bit over $5 for a 28 oz (I
think) package.

Brian

won't shut up.