Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good Soup?

If you want to get rave reviews on any soup you make, the first
element is to make sure your loved one first has a long, steady diet
of military food. Here's our story:

When my husband and I were first married, he was in the military and
had lived for months off of military food. We purchased a small
trailer, while waiting for it to be delivered and hooked up, we lived
with another young military couple for a few weeks.

All 4 of the young adults in this household had many responsibilities
and lots going on with life, so the housekeeping end of things were
pretty lax. One evening we all pitched in and started cleaning. There
was a pan that had several days old, dried macaroni and cheese stuck
all over the pan. The husband told the wife to put hot soapy water in
it and let it soak.

The following day, she and I both had the morning off, so we went to
do laundry at the local laundromat. We came home after lunch to find a
note from our husband's saying, "Thanks for the good soup." We looked
at each other and asked, "What soup?" Neither of us could figure it
out, so just figured the guys must be loosing it, and shrugged it off.

When they got home that evening we asked, "What soup were you
referring to?" With that, the husband's eyes got huge, as he
remembered then telling his wife to fill that pan with the old, dried
macaroni and cheese with

http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Hum...929/25522.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 27, 8:07*pm, wrote:
> If you want to get rave reviews on any soup you make, the first
> element is to make sure your loved one first has a long, steady diet
> of military food. Here's our story:
>
> When my husband and I were first married, he was in the military and
> had lived for months off of military food. We purchased a small
> trailer, while waiting for it to be delivered and hooked up, we lived
> with another young military couple for a few weeks.
>
> All 4 of the young adults in this household had many responsibilities
> and lots going on with life, so the housekeeping end of things were
> pretty lax. One evening we all pitched in and started cleaning. There
> was a pan that had several days old, dried macaroni and cheese stuck
> all over the pan. The husband told the wife to put hot soapy water in
> it and let it soak.
>
> The following day, she and I both had the morning off, so we went to
> do laundry at the local laundromat. We came home after lunch to find a
> note from our husband's saying, "Thanks for the good soup." We looked
> at each other and asked, "What soup?" Neither of us could figure it
> out, so just figured the guys must be loosing it, and shrugged it off.
>
> When they got home that evening we asked, "What soup were you
> referring to?" With that, the husband's eyes got huge, as he
> remembered then telling his wife to fill that pan with the old, dried
> macaroni and cheese with
>
> http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Hum...929/25522.html

Absolutely TRUE! My son was a Navy lifer! There was nothing more
heartwarming than having him come home from a 6 month deployment on an
aircraft carrier. He was appreciative of most anything I put in front
of him.

For the rest of the folks who gather at my table, I just feed 'em
enough wine and spirits. Like they say, drunk people will eat nearly
anything!

Myrl Jeffcoat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Myrl Jeffcoat" > wrote in message
On Jan 27, 8:07 pm, wrote:
> If you want to get rave reviews on any soup you make, the first
> element is to make sure your loved one first has a long, steady diet
> of military food. Here's our story:...

Absolutely TRUE! My son was a Navy lifer! There was nothing more
heartwarming than having him come home from a 6 month deployment on an
aircraft carrier. He was appreciative of most anything I put in front
of him.

For the rest of the folks who gather at my table, I just feed 'em
enough wine and spirits. Like they say, drunk people will eat nearly
anything!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Commie propaganda! Military food is not bad. I gained forty pounds during
my four year enlistment in the Navy.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 27, 8:07*pm, wrote:
> If you want to get rave reviews on any soup you make, the first
> element is to make sure your loved one first has a long, steady diet
> of military food. Here's our story: [snip the story]

I have a different story. Military service is where I learned how
important cooking skills are. On a large army post with many mess
halls every one had the same supplies and the same master menus, yet
one mess hall served great, tasty, well-prepared food that satisfied
every nutritional and aesthetic need while other nearby mess halls
served slop. The difference was entirely attributable to how good/
attentive/skillful/caring the cooks were. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 11:31*am, aem > wrote:
> On Jan 27, 8:07*pm, wrote:
>
> > If you want to get rave reviews on any soup you make, the first
> > element is to make sure your loved one first has a long, steady diet
> > of military food. Here's our story: * [snip the story]

> I have a different story. *Military service is where I learned how
> important cooking skills are. *On a large army post with many mess
> halls every one had the same supplies and the same master menus, yet
> one mess hall served great, tasty, well-prepared food that satisfied
> every nutritional and aesthetic need while other nearby mess halls
> served slop. *The difference was entirely attributable to how good/
> attentive/skillful/caring the cooks were. * *-aem

Amen, brother! Forty-three years ago I was a young, single enlisted
man living in a barracks at Fort Dix. Too broke to eat at the service
club or snack bar more than once a week. I remember walking over a
mile out of my way, sometimes in pretty miserable weather, to eat in a
consolidated mess hall to avoid the slop served at my unit. Same
food, same menu, entirely different skill set.

Regards,
Sarge

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sarge137" wrote

>Amen, brother! Forty-three years ago I was a young, single enlisted
>man living in a barracks at Fort Dix. Too broke to eat at the service
>club or snack bar more than once a week. I remember walking over a
>mile out of my way, sometimes in pretty miserable weather, to eat in a
>consolidated mess hall to avoid the slop served at my unit. Same
>food, same menu, entirely different skill set.

Grin, I remember having an army unit with us on the USS Fort McHenry around
about 2003. Man those guys loved our chow! They'd never seen anything like
it at any mess hall even on 'special' days. Just about everything on a Navy
ship underway is either completely scratch, or 'semi-home made' using canned
sauces, broths and veggies. Ok, so we don't go screaming back to home to
tell'em how great a can of green beans can be, but these guys would add
things even to that to make it quite good.

The main chef on the ship just didnt believe in following any recipe card to
the letter. Oh he'd follow the base design (what main meats were for that
day etc) but he'd fix'em special. Somehow we always had something that was
at least 4 star restraunt quality for each lunch and dinner.

We really shocked'em when we hit some obscure filipeno holiday and they made
whole roasted suckling pigs for dinner (lunch was simple: coldcuts, fresh
made bread, and scratch soups to die for).

It is a middle sized ship in crew number (325 plus upwards of 700 marines if
they are onboard) and at that time, we had our normal crew plus about 500
army guys.