Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default But I want DENSE dumplins!

Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?

~john
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?

Denser than Bisquick is pretty dense. My mother used to make them that way,
and I thought they were pretty gloppy. You might just increase the dry
ingredients.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Jan 2008 12:03:10p, levelwave told us...

> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
> ~john

I prefer rolled dumplings, which are definitely not light and fluffy or
biscuit-like. They have substance. You might give that a try.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
I'm in shape ... round's a shape isn't it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:
> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
> ~john

What you're looking for is "rolled dumplings". Google. Some of us (me
counted) don't want the dumplings being so heavy they become the meal and
overwhelm everything else in the pot of chicken and dumplings.

But, if you follow directions for making *drop* dumplings you can make them
very small; start out with 1/4-1/2 tsp. size lumps of dough. Then if you
cook them 10 minutes without the lid on the pot, then dunk them into the
simmering liquid with the back of a spoon, then cover the pot and cook them
another 10 minutes, they are more dense.

I still don't care for rolled dumplings. I'd rather have noodles in my
chicken stew.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "levelwave" wrote in message
>> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I
>> add them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the
>> recipe on the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of
>> them and they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to
>> goo in the pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and
>> could share a recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no
>> leavener?

Levelwave - here on the Delmarva Peninsula they're called "slippery
dumplings" and I think that's what you're looking for. Google on that -
there are quite a few recipes.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:

> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?

Oh, you want my mother's dumplings. Flour (maybe two cups) with liberal
amounts of salt and pepper. A couple of eggs and enough milk added to
make a "Plop-able" mixture. Drop by spoonsful into boiling* liquid.

*This is important. Dropping this mixture into a liquid solution at
less than boiling temperature will result in a pot full of concrete.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "levelwave" > wrote in message
>> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
>> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
>> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
>> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
>> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
>> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>>

> Denser than Bisquick is pretty dense. My mother used to make them that
> way, and I thought they were pretty gloppy. You might just increase the
> dry ingredients.

Look in the mirror to see a dense dumpling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
6.121...
> Wayne Boatwright > dropped this
> 3.184: in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> On Tue 22 Jan 2008 12:03:10p, levelwave told us...
>>
>>> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
>>> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
>>> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
>>> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
>>> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
>>> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>>>
>>> ~john
>>>

>> I prefer rolled dumplings, which are definitely not light and fluffy or
>> biscuit-like. They have substance. You might give that a try.

> Maybe I'm in a twisted mood but this dumpling thread has me LMAO. I like
> my dumplings firm, round with a moderate density.
>
> Michael

Slut!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 11:03*am, levelwave > wrote:
> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
> ~john

Only made them once, so I can not offer a recipe - my mom makes hers
with egg noodles added, and serves it over mashed potatoes! That is a
meal that calls for hibernation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
> ~john

Absolutely. For dumplin's with bite, you want nothing more than eggs, flour, s&p. And
you don't even have to have the s&p! Once in a while, particularly if I just made
stock, I'll add a bit of chicken fat.
Really that is all I use, and it's the way we like them...I never could stand those
wussy fluff balls.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:03:10 -0800 (PST), levelwave > wrote:

>Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
>them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
>the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
>they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
>pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
>recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
>~john

You ain't alone. ( cain't you tell I'm one of them trailer trash folks?)

Dumplings (Mama's Little Leadballs)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk

Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Bring just to a simmer in a small saucepan
the butter and milk. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork or knead by hand 2
to 3 times until the mixture just comes together. Push the chicken pieces down so that
they are submerged in gravy and gently drop spoonfuls of the dumpling dough over the
top. Cover pan tightly and simmer slowly for 15 to 20 minutes. Don't remove the lid.
Serve immediately.

This works for me 'cept I cook them another 5 minutes with the cover off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 9:47�am, Larry LaMere > wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:03:10 -0800 (PST), levelwave > wrote:
> >Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> >them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> >the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> >they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> >pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> >recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?

> >~john

> You ain't alone. ( cain't you tell I'm one of them trailer trash folks?)
>
> Dumplings (Mama's Little Leadballs)
>
> 2 cups all-purpose flour
> 1 tablespoon baking powder
> 3/4 teaspoon salt
> 3 tablespoons butter
> 1 cup milk
>
> Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Bring just to a simmer in a small saucepan
> the butter and milk. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork or knead by hand 2
> to 3 times until the mixture just comes together. Push the chicken pieces down so that
> they are submerged in gravy and gently drop spoonfuls of the dumpling dough over the
> top. Cover pan tightly and simmer slowly for 15 to 20 minutes. Don't remove the lid.
> Serve immediately.
>
> This works for me 'cept I cook them another 5 minutes with the cover off.

I'm with you kid. Those are my kind of dumplings.
Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> "levelwave" > wrote in message
> > Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add

> Absolutely. For dumplin's with bite, you want nothing more than eggs,
> flour, s&p. And you don't even have to have the s&p! Once in a
> while, particularly if I just made stock, I'll add a bit of chicken
> fat. Really that is all I use, and it's the way we like them...I
> never could stand those wussy fluff balls.

> kimberly

What differentiates your dumplings from egg noodles, kimberly?
Thickness? Width? Color me Curious.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, "Nexis" >
> wrote:
>
> > "levelwave" > wrote in message
> > > Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add

> > Absolutely. For dumplin's with bite, you want nothing more than eggs,
> > flour, s&p. And you don't even have to have the s&p! Once in a
> > while, particularly if I just made stock, I'll add a bit of chicken
> > fat. Really that is all I use, and it's the way we like them...I
> > never could stand those wussy fluff balls.

> > kimberly

> What differentiates your dumplings from egg noodles, kimberly?
> Thickness? Width? Color me Curious.

My grandmother (and so I) make dumplings just like pie crust, except the
liquid is 50-50 buttermilk and hot broth (Crisco and flour, no
leavening, no eggs). Flour the counter, roll out about 1/4" thick, cut
in strips about 1" wide, and tear off pieces into the boiling broth,
stretching them a bit as you go.

You can either cook them "dry" so they can be piled on a plate, or "wet"
which is like a really thick chicken soup (that's the way I like it).

Now I'm hungry.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:

> My grandmother (and so I) make dumplings just like pie crust, except the
> liquid is 50-50 buttermilk and hot broth (Crisco and flour, no
> leavening, no eggs). Flour the counter, roll out about 1/4" thick, cut
> in strips about 1" wide, and tear off pieces into the boiling broth,
> stretching them a bit as you go.

Yeah, rolled and cut thick strips is how a neighbor taught me to make
it, but I've done the drop dumplings at times too. I just don't make it
often enough. She used to make it frequently for large Wednesday night
dinners at the church and she could feed a mess of folks cheap with
chicken and dumplings. I used to love helping her. She could cook it all
at home, often not starting it until the afternoon of the meal, and haul
it over to her church to finish it off. I learned a lot from that woman.
Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Nexis" >
> wrote:
>
>> "levelwave" > wrote in message
>> > Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add

>> Absolutely. For dumplin's with bite, you want nothing more than eggs,
>> flour, s&p. And you don't even have to have the s&p! Once in a
>> while, particularly if I just made stock, I'll add a bit of chicken
>> fat. Really that is all I use, and it's the way we like them...I
>> never could stand those wussy fluff balls.

>> kimberly

> What differentiates your dumplings from egg noodles, kimberly?
> Thickness? Width? Color me Curious.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
> tell me if you knowwhat it is.
> Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Not much, except when I'm making noodles I roll them out and slice them up, and when
I'm making dumplings I drop small spoonfuls in the broth. And of course the noodles
have a bit more flour (just a tad, really) from the rolling.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
levelwave > wrote:
>Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
>them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
>the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
>they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
>pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
>recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
>~john

For dense dumplings, my mom always used equal parts AP flour, and mashed
potatoes.

Doug

--
\\ // Wm. K. Walthers, Inc. Serving Hobbyists since 1932
\\ /\ //
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
levelwave > wrote:

> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
> ~john

John, have you ever made them with tube biscuits? Flatten a Pillsbury
buttermilk biscuit (from a tube) to about 1/4" thick, then cut into
1/2" strips. Drop strips into bubbling liquid, cover and cook 15-18
minutes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
tell me if you knowwhat it is.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
> ~john

My dumplings are made with Bisquick and I never have a problem with them.
I use 2 cups of bisquick, 1 large egg and milk to make a stiff batter. I
mix the egg and milk together.

I drop the dough by tbsp on the bubbling stew and leave uncovered for 10
minutes and cover and continue for 15 minutes.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:04:47 -0500, "MOMPEAGRAM"
> wrote:

>I drop the dough by tbsp on the bubbling stew and leave uncovered for 10
>minutes and cover and continue for 15 minutes.

You use Bisquick, but it's the traditional cooking method.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first