FoodBanter.com

-   -   'Soup Kitchen' ideas (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/145598-soup-kitchen-ideas.html)

cshenk 05-01-2008 10:17 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

We've gotten friendly with the church our huge monster commercial chest
freezer went to. (Replaced by a newer model as mentioned in the past).

On Sunday and holidays, they have a big free potluck for local homeless and
others who are short on funds. When it gets cold like it is now, they
always have trouble having enough food to go around. They arent government
subsidized or anything.

We signed up to bring food on this Sunday (and plan to for the first Sunday
of each month if work permits me to be off to bring it, will alternate
another Sunday if cant or drop off something during the week if needed).

Anyways, I'd love any ideas of things others would find useful to feed at
least 20 people a good serving for 6$ or roughly that. This isnt intended
to be a full meal, just one of 3-4 items they'd get.

For tomorrow, I have a hodge podge bean pot using 2lbs (dry weight) butter
beans, 1 largish onion, 1 green bell pepper (big one) and about 1/2 cup
frozen chopped green bell pepper (one that was not going to be used fast
enough so we chopped and froze it which works find for a crockpot need), 2
smallish ham hocks (2$ worth at 1.39lb), a splash of mirin (a japanese rice
cooking wine), some osem brand chicken consomme powder, and water. This is
all in a very LARGE oval crockpot and I think it fair to say 25 servings in
that. 6.5 quart? There won't be much meat per person, but the protein
content should be high and it can go as a soup or as a topping on rice.

They have a large ricemaker so I added in 5 cups dryweight of hinode (a
brand of medium grain 'sticky' rice).

I am thinking I may try next Sunday too with a large batch of
dashi-tofu-chinese broccoli soup to serve in mugs with a 1/4 cup of rice at
the bottom. It will make a nice warming soup and I can get tofu at 3 for a
dollar (about 3/4 cup block each). Might change the greenery type pending
on what there is fresh at the asian grocery, but they always have something
<grin>. They have these 3 big tureens of broth at the door which are often
just bullion cubes and water so 6 quarts of this soup would be a nice match
to the beef and chicken ones.

I was thinking a large pot of spagetti sauce but that shows up every time
since it's pretty easy to hit 3$ for 20 servings if you leave out the
mushrooms and meats. (They have their own pots for making up the pasta and
folks gift them with dried pasta all the time so just bringing the sauce is
ok).

One they arent used to but I didnt know in time for this week to stock up,
is just baked potatoes or baked yams. Thats dead simple too and I'd be able
to make up a big pot of either in the crock. If doing sweet yams, I could
make a sauce and have them soft and like 'baked yams with brown sugar'. I
passed the idea over though and they think it will work well.

Oh, the place for food safety reasons *does* have rules and won't just take
'anything from anyone' and put it on the line. If it is prone to fast
spoilage for example, they require it be made there on site <g>.

The only rules are it be safe, and have as close to 20 servings as possible.
They also ask us to not become poor ourselves by adding in more than we can
afford.

Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd also
like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in winter,
warming things like soups and stews.

aem 05-01-2008 10:34 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Jan 5, 1:17*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> [snip]
> We signed up to bring food on this Sunday (and plan to for the first Sunday
> of each month if work permits me to be off to bring it, will alternate
> another Sunday if cant or drop off something during the week if needed).
>
> Anyways, I'd love any ideas of things others would find useful to feed at
> least 20 people a good serving for 6$ or roughly that. *This isnt intended
> to be a full meal, just one of 3-4 items they'd get.

If it's church related, how can you not serve lentils? They're fast,
nutritious, can be delicious, and appear numerous times in the bible.
Make them even better by starting with a little bacon and finishing
with cheese toast.... -aem

Mark Thorson 05-01-2008 11:13 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

cshenk wrote:

> Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
> little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd also
> like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in winter,
> warming things like soups and stews.

Does the church get free government cheese?
If so, cheese pizza would be cheap to make,
needing only flour, labor, and a #10 can
of tomato sauce.

Also, cheese enchiladas and quesadillas
would be cheap and easy to make.

chefhelen 05-01-2008 11:14 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> [...]
> able to make up a big pot of either in the crock. If doing sweet yams, I
> could make a sauce and have them soft and like 'baked yams with brown
> sugar'. I passed the idea over though and they think it will work well.
>
> Oh, the place for food safety reasons *does* have rules and won't just
> take 'anything from anyone' and put it on the line. If it is prone to
> fast spoilage for example, they require it be made there on site <g>.
>
> The only rules are it be safe, and have as close to 20 servings as
> possible. They also ask us to not become poor ourselves by adding in more
> than we can afford.
>
> Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
> little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd
> also like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in
> winter, warming things like soups and stews.

Sometimes here we get chicken legs for $.29/lb. With these you can make a
dynamite chicken soup, baked chicken with rice and a veg, chicken pot pie,
chicken casseroles, etc.

Another good idea, to me, is split pea soup. Bits of ham make it nice
and/or sliced sausage added in at the end.

Cabbage is another good veg either for braising and serving with hot
dogs/other meat or making soup with. It makes a ton and can usually be
found at about $.39/lb.

Quiche and eggy things such as that are also good when filled with cheaper
ingredients and made in to casseroles.

I sometimes run across bananas and other fruits at a good price and I'm sure
that those would be welcomed also. I'm sure if these folks are hurting for
money that they think fresh fruit and veg are prohibitively priced.

just ideas.....
helen

cshenk 05-01-2008 11:25 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"aem" wrote:
> [snip]
>> We signed up to bring food on this Sunday (and plan to for the first
>> Sunday
>> inst intended to be a full meal, just one of 3-4 items they'd get.

>If it's church related, how can you not serve lentils? They're fast,
>nutritious, can be delicious, and appear numerous times in the bible.
>Make them even better by starting with a little bacon and finishing
>with cheese toast....

Lentils eh? Oddly thats an item I have made only rarely. The cheese toast
would be hard for me to manage and have it still be warm.

To flesh this out, they have an average of 100 customers on these Sunday
events at this season (hence the dish size should fit 20 or more). It's
very much a small local thing and in summer drifts down to about 50-60
folks. It's held about 2 hours after church services. At then end, if
there is food left over, (tends to be none in winter I am told), those with
a need can take all they want home with them.

In winter, there may not be enough to go around but they have standby stuff
so all will have 'something' even if it's just pasta and spagetti sauce. No
one leaves hungry.

They do not accept or desire to have fancy funding. It's a sort of 'family
thing'. Some 30 folks contribute and while you can bring anything (food
safety note earlier posted), they also have a list of what expected already
on a board so folks can try to offset.

They made me laugh when they said how that started. Apparently a local
grocery had a killer sale on chicken and one Sunday, they had 15 pots of
chicken soup and 5 baked chickens, plus 4 'other things'. Now, they have a
blackboard and you can just call and ask 'what's cookin' then offset a bit.

Some of the more flush members bring a consistant set of meat dishes.
Several less flush ones bring green bean salads and canned veggies. 1 gifts
20$ a month for the use at the day old bread store (can get a full loaf for
about 50cents and lots of other things there than plain white).

If I had the *$* I would do more, but they have made me feel very
comfortable to contribute what I can afford and made it easy for me to see
what might be a good mix with what's already known.

Grin, getting long winded but: 20 servings each, 100 people, can handle 5
people bringing crockpots of beans. 5 people with stews. 5 people with
vegetables. 5 people with desserts. Each providing 20 servings x5=100. The
stray 10 other of the 20, provide various other things.

Not all play every Sunday. Being a newcomer, I am not part of the regulars
yet. I just fit myself in where it seems there isnt too much of one thing
and this is only my 3rd time doing it. First time: veggie soup/stew with
chicken and diced tomatoes. Second was: baked apples (cored with a little
brown sugar and butter, halved to make 18 servings), and the bean pot
tomorrow.

cshenk 05-01-2008 11:57 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Janet" wrote.

>> little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd

> I do a monthly volunteer stint at the soup kitchen in the nearby city,
> where we feed about 250 per night. Our night is almost always tuna noodle

Wow! Now, this operation is much smaller. Only Sunday afternoon/early
evening.

> casserole, salad, and vegetable (usually canned green beans or something
> equally revolting, but occasionally we get enough of a fresh vegetable to
> do that) on the side, plus bread, beverages, and dessert. We don't get to
> set

Humm, wee bit fancier here. But then, we are feeding a mere 100 at high
season.

> the menu, although we can rummage around and find better ingredients to
> fix it up a bit. (I've taken to bringing pounds of butter from home,
> because

Hehe I can see that one!

> usually there's just margarine.) I don't know what your clientele is like,
> but our is heavy on people who have been living rough for a long time, and
> probably have mental health issues and have been self-medicating for
> decades with alcohol or drugs. Tastes are not sophisticated, and teeth
> tend to be in

Mostly newly homeless (and seldom stay that way) or just really broke at the
end of the month. Many women with kids and 'dad' left, still in an
apartment but with little to no income. It's not a well known place and
frankly, isnt able to carry the load of being known better.

> poor shape. Most of the things you suggest, although they sound good to
> me, would not go over well with our crowd. It can be disappointing if you
> really like to cook. You might want to start out with something pretty
> safe, and

Heheh well, it's ok. I dont expect rave reviews. Just warm tummies.

The dashi soup is a replacement for a well recieved 'fish soup' they used to
have, but the gentleman who made it, died about 8 months ago. I live on the
coast so fish based soups are common here.

> then see what goes over well and gradually become more venturesome.
> There's even something to be said for tuna noodle casserole, when it's
> well made! <G>

Yup! I can add that to my list!

I see this week they have:
2 tuna noodle cassaroles
2 chile pots with beans
3 various chicken stew/soups
3 bean pots (one is mine)
1 meatloaf
1 pork shoulder (pulled pork I am sure)
Fried chicken
(other stuff not going to type in but you get the idea).

Lots of veggies in the bunch not listed.

cshenk 06-01-2008 12:16 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Mark Thorson" wrote
>> Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
>> little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd
>> also
>> like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in
>> winter,
>> warming things like soups and stews.

> Does the church get free government cheese?

No, they are just a sort of home-grown sort of place. No funding. They
like it that way.

> If so, cheese pizza would be cheap to make,
> needing only flour, labor, and a #10 can
> of tomato sauce.

That would be great except while the room they use has lots of outlets for
crockpots, the kitchen has only one oven with 4 burners and a side 4 burner
unit donated later. Sorry if I made it sound like a bigger operation than
it is, but it feeds a max of 100 and then only in winter. Normal is about
50. Now with 50, the pizza is possible but with more, it would be too slow
or have to be served cold.

Grin, it's basically a big room with tables along the walls lined with
crockpots and warming 'tea light' flat servers (Chaffing dishes?)

> Also, cheese enchiladas and quesadillas
> would be cheap and easy to make.

Oh that sparks an idea!

Big pot of unspiced pintos and kidneys, cook down and remove from liquid
then mash. Add ro-tel tomatoes with chiles and serve on warmed flour
tortillas with a little grated cheese if we have it.

sf[_3_] 06-01-2008 12:26 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:17:13 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
>little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd also
>like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in winter,
>warming things like soups and stews.

Pasta comes to mind - lasagna, penne with vegetables....

http://recipesforacrowd.com/
http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/quantity/

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

cshenk 06-01-2008 12:27 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"chefhelen" wrote

> Sometimes here we get chicken legs for $.29/lb. With these you can make a
> dynamite chicken soup, baked chicken with rice and a veg, chicken pot pie,
> chicken casseroles, etc.

Absolutely! I havent seen it that cheap yet since getting back stateside,
but we have seen .49lb a time or so.

> Another good idea, to me, is split pea soup. Bits of ham make it nice
> and/or sliced sausage added in at the end.

Yes! A definate! I've even done that with the cheap Dak canned hams with
decent success and could afford that well enough.

> Cabbage is another good veg either for braising and serving with hot
> dogs/other meat or making soup with. It makes a ton and can usually be
> found at about $.39/lb.

Yes, with a little olive oil and sesame oil and onions then sliver carrots
over it, add water and wilt in a pan, it's good warm or cold.

> Quiche and eggy things such as that are also good when filled with cheaper
> ingredients and made in to casseroles.

Humm, eggs are now pricey here. Can run 3$ a carton of 12 now.

> I sometimes run across bananas and other fruits at a good price and I'm
> sure that those would be welcomed also. I'm sure if these folks are
> hurting for money that they think fresh fruit and veg are prohibitively
> priced.

Yup! The one time I made baked apples, they disappeared really fast.

Christine Dabney 06-01-2008 12:35 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 18:27:46 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Humm, eggs are now pricey here. Can run 3$ a carton of 12 now.

If you are near a Trader Joes, check out eggs there. Their prices are
usually very good for eggs, and would be much cheaper than that.
Usually run in the neighborhood of about $1-$1.19/dozen.

Christine

Dee.Dee 06-01-2008 12:37 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:17:13 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
>>little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd
>>also
>>like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in
>>winter,
>>warming things like soups and stews.

For cooking for a group, not particularly a 'soup kitchen,' this book has
loads of nice recipes.
I'm sending this in case there is anyone interested in cooking for a crowd
who has been reading this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Moosewood-Rest...575891&sr=1-13

Moosewood Restaurant Cooks for a Crowd: Recipes With a Vegetarian Emphasis
for 24 or More (Hardcover)
$15.99 free shipping

I've checked out this book at the library. It has lots of good ideas and I
considered buying it, but I have too many Moosewood 'un-used' cookbooks.

Dee Dee

Bobo Bonobo® 06-01-2008 01:05 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Jan 5, 4:14 pm, "chefhelen" > wrote:
> [...]

> > sugar'. I passed the idea over though and they think it will work well.

> > Oh, the place for food safety reasons *does* have rules and won't just
> > take 'anything from anyone' and put it on the line. If it is prone to
> > fast spoilage for example, they require it be made there on site <g>.

> > The only rules are it be safe, and have as close to 20 servings as
> > possible. They also ask us to not become poor ourselves by adding in more
> > than we can afford.

> > Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
> > little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd
> > also like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in
> > winter, warming things like soups and stews.

> Sometimes here we get chicken legs for $.29/lb. With these you can make a
> dynamite chicken soup, baked chicken with rice and a veg, chicken pot pie,

That was exactly what I was going to suggest. If volunteers are up
for adding the *love* (read: labor), then leg quarters gotten dirt
cheap are always great.

First, separate into 3 pieces, drumstick, thigh and back portion.
Reserve drumsticks to cook whole, maybe popping them into that large
freezer to accumulate to fry for some future meal, like fried chicken
drumsticks and baked potatoes.
The thighs can be baked, then the meat taken off of the bones, and the
bones tossed in the large stock pot with the back portions (from which
those nasty little lymph glands should first be removed). Toss in an
onion or onions, and let boil and reduce. Strain it and reduce more.
Add carrots and celery, which are cheap bought in large bags, and
after that's cooked, add boatloads of noodles, then the thigh meat
(cut into small pieces), and some parsley flakes and black pepper.
Have salt on the table to add as desired.

There are so many things you can do with leg quarters, but the
important part is getting them cheap and not wasting any. The skins
could be fried into cracklins, and people could take little bags with
them. Another great thing to serve with chicken is rice. It is SO
cheap, and a little soy sauce and finely chopped onion can turn it
into a great accompaniment.

Potatoes can be gotten cheaply too, and real butter and (I'll catch
Hell for this) a bit of MSG, with some milk, can make a lot of mashed
potatoes for not a lot of money. S&P on the side, of course.
Volunteers can serve on washable plates, with washable flatware, and
include some of the recipients in the washing up. Don't waste money
on disposables; money that could be spent on food should not be spent
on throw-aways.

> Another good idea, to me, is split pea soup. Bits of ham make it nice
> and/or sliced sausage added in at the end.
>
> Cabbage is another good veg either for braising and serving with hot
> dogs/other meat or making soup with. It makes a ton and can usually be
> found at about $.39/lb.

I know that beggars can't be choosers, but a non-cabbage alternative
should always be available. Cruciferous vegetables make some of us
want to hurl.

> Quiche and eggy things such as that are also good when filled with cheaper
> ingredients and made in to casseroles.

Eggs in general. So good, so inexpensive.

> I sometimes run across bananas and other fruits at a good price and I'm sure
> that those would be welcomed also. I'm sure if these folks are hurting for
> money that they think fresh fruit and veg are prohibitively priced.

That's nice. I work at a church, and they do this thing called "Room
at the Inn," where homeless folks spend the night there. They make
food for them for dinner and breakfast. It's usually 6-10 homeless,
up to a max of 12. They never make anything I'd want to eat, but I'd
have happily eaten it when *I* lived on the street (when I was 20
years old, for Dec. - Feb. '80-'81). I know, what a dumbass thing
that was, but I was a little bit depressed at the time.
Anyway, good home cookin', with fresh ingredients, especially fresh
veggies would be a very kind thing to do for folks who are down on
their luck.

I hope that this is helpful, and please don't feed them trans fats.
These folks don't have the resources to afford heart bypasses/
transplants.

> just ideas.....
> helen

--Bryan

Puester 06-01-2008 01:08 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

cshenk wrote:
> We've gotten friendly with the church our huge monster commercial chest
> freezer went to.
>
> On Sunday and holidays, they have a big free potluck for local homeless and
> others who are short on funds.

> Any other ideas? They will be most welcome!

Your favorite chili served over rice with lots of grated cheese.

A baked potato bar, with various toppings like broccoli in a cheese
sauce or chili.

Stew, any kind; veg-beef-barley soup

Curried chicken and rice

Hot dogs and baked beans with red cabbage as a side.

Any kind of "hot dish", a la Barb Schaller. She has posted about
feeding the guests at their local Ronald McDonald House.

Lasagna

Macaroni and cheese with spicy hamburger or bits of ham

Roast turkey

Regarding cost, you may be able to get a local grocery store to sponsor
an occasional meal or at least sell you meat at cost.

gloria p

sf[_3_] 06-01-2008 01:09 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 18:27:46 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"chefhelen" wrote
>

>> I sometimes run across bananas and other fruits at a good price and I'm
>> sure that those would be welcomed also. I'm sure if these folks are
>> hurting for money that they think fresh fruit and veg are prohibitively
>> priced.

>Yup! The one time I made baked apples, they disappeared really fast.

Thinking back to the church suppers of my childhood.... how about
plain mashed/whipped sweet potatoes or butternut squash?

[email protected] 06-01-2008 02:54 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

I really think your serving your community via a soup-line is noble.

I would roast two chickens like say in crockpots (or better yet
turkey). Then make brown rice, topped with gravy derived from the
crockpot stock, carrots & celery too (maybe other veggies depending on
sales but not potatoes because of the rice). I'd make biscuits half
whole wheat probably, white ones would be prefered by some, the good
ones by others.

I don't know if soup lines do a desert. Cake I think would be your
cheapest, fruit or a cobbler would be best nutrition I suppose.
Restaurants or grocers may donate. I home deliver meals to shut-ins
in my community and the food comes from Golden Corral (local buffet)
donations.

I haven't ran a soup line, so I don't base this on experience. It is
instead my thoughts on high nutrition per dollar. If your customers
stomaches are really out of whack (ever been around a meth adict?)
they will not handle the complex stuff, but what can you do?

Charlotte L. Blackmer 06-01-2008 03:08 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

In article >,
cshenk > wrote:
>We've gotten friendly with the church our huge monster commercial chest
>freezer went to. (Replaced by a newer model as mentioned in the past).
>
>On Sunday and holidays, they have a big free potluck for local homeless and
>others who are short on funds. When it gets cold like it is now, they
>always have trouble having enough food to go around. They arent government
>subsidized or anything.
>
>We signed up to bring food on this Sunday (and plan to for the first Sunday
>of each month if work permits me to be off to bring it, will alternate
>another Sunday if cant or drop off something during the week if needed).
>
>Anyways, I'd love any ideas of things others would find useful to feed at
>least 20 people a good serving for 6$ or roughly that. This isnt intended
>to be a full meal, just one of 3-4 items they'd get.

(specifics snipped)

>Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
>little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd also
>like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in winter,
>warming things like soups and stews.

Beans, rice, and pasta are your friends!

We rely on them pretty heavily to eke out the offerings of our local food
bank. (I never see "government cheese" at the FB, by the way. If I need
cheese, I have to buy it.) We supplement at Costco and at a local
(inexpensive) produce mart.

Old-fashioned mom-food standards like shepherd's pie, baked ziti,
macaroni-beef-tomato bake, chili, minestrone, any beans and rice type
dishes (esp. if you have some nice cornbread to go with it). Anything
with noodles or rice and a lot of white sauce can also stretch meat or
vegetables. Mind you, if someone else is feeding them meat, you can give
them a veggie soup or stew :D.

Once when we had to serve outside due to a plaster disaster, two people
made pasta e fagioli (aka "pasta fazool") for 120. Most with sausage (we
often can get Aidell's sausages from the Food Bank), smaller without.
Garlic bread, with bread we get from a lovely local bakery day-old, went
with this.

I have also made what I call "Southwestern casserole" - black beans, rice,
savory tomato, corn, and bell peppers. Goes well with chicken, burger, or
cheese. My "home" quantities are 1 lb ground round, 1 cup (that's 1/2 lb)
rice, 1 regular can beans, 1 regular can corn, 1 regular can tomatoes,
plus whatever veg I have around (bell peppers, squash). This makes about
six hungry-girl servings so it's easy and cheap to scale up as you
like.

If there is a Community Food Bank, see if they can get signed up as a
member agency and go "shopping" - ours even has fresh produce, so
sometimes we can do amazing things with their stuff. November's meal was
breaded chicken pieces served with a savory Mediterranean veggie mix -
base was baked spaghetti squash and canned tomatoes, with canned artichoke
hearts and olives (on the "random" aisle) mixed in. All from the Food
Bank! The guests praised it to the skies. It inspired me to buy
spaghetti squash for myself and eat it at home.

Shop specials. Schmooze your store managers and your farmer's market
people.

And if your grocery has quantity deals on eggs (we often see "Buy one get
one free" on 1.5 dozens), buy them and hard-boil them to hand out. These
are "street breakfast" with the folks I see.

It's fun and will also keep you busy figuring out yields per bag and the
like. :D (I'm glad I was always good at arithmetic.)

Charlotte

cshenk 06-01-2008 04:03 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Christine Dabney" wrote
>>Humm, eggs are now pricey here. Can run 3$ a carton of 12 now.

> If you are near a Trader Joes, check out eggs there. Their prices are

Sorry no, nearest one is almost 4 hours away (DC area sort of)

cshenk 06-01-2008 04:37 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" wrote

>>Anyways, I'd love any ideas of things others would find useful to feed at
>>least 20 people a good serving for 6$ or roughly that. This isnt intended
>>to be a full meal, just one of 3-4 items they'd get.

> (specifics snipped)

> Beans, rice, and pasta are your friends!

Oh definately! There are 2 folks who bring a time honored chili dish each
time. One makes her's hot and the fellow makes his mildish, so folks can
get which suits them.

> We rely on them pretty heavily to eke out the offerings of our local food
> bank. (I never see "government cheese" at the FB, by the way. If I need
> cheese, I have to buy it.) We supplement at Costco and at a local
> (inexpensive) produce mart.

These folks dont use the food banks. I am new there but I think it's
deliberate.

> dishes (esp. if you have some nice cornbread to go with it). Anything

Corn bread. Now that would be an easy one and I could make lots ahead then
wrap it to keep it from drying out. I have 2 sizable bread keepers that
would if both loaded, hold 20 or so decent sized pieces.

BTW, the only attempt they have on the list on the board, is to not have
*too many* of the same thing. Up to 5 folks can bring the same thing if
they want and it will work fine at this season.

> with noodles or rice and a lot of white sauce can also stretch meat or
> vegetables. Mind you, if someone else is feeding them meat, you can give
> them a veggie soup or stew :D.

Yup, other handle the meat dishes. I'm on for the sides and soups and such.
They have a big rice maker going (2 of them actually so as one runs down,
the other is ready for use) and some extra crockpots so you can load your
stuff in theirs and take your own back home.

> I have also made what I call "Southwestern casserole" - black beans, rice,
> savory tomato, corn, and bell peppers. Goes well with chicken, burger, or

Snip, sounds like a winner there! I was thinking long the lines of a
succotash some time on down the way.

> If there is a Community Food Bank, see if they can get signed up as a

There are several. For some reason, they do not desire to go that route.
Also this is a big city and there are quite a few major big city
organizations who handle the big crowds.

> Shop specials. Schmooze your store managers and your farmer's market
> people.

I was thinking to ask at the local asian market, where I shop pretty often.
The possible problem there is the items they sell are not always your
'standard southern faire' (hence a trial on dashi soup later but it's close
to a fish soup they used to serve so they say it might work well).

> It's fun and will also keep you busy figuring out yields per bag and the
> like. :D (I'm glad I was always good at arithmetic.)

Hehehe yes, I am having fun with it. Just have to keep it affordable and I
decided that someplace around 6$ works for us. Can be a little more, but
thats the goal.

> Charlotte

(smile, love the name. Thats my daughter's name too)

cshenk 06-01-2008 04:55 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

> wrote

>I really think your serving your community via a soup-line is noble.

Thanks! I'm not doing all that much though. Just one dish a month on
average, probably 2 in winter when they are at peak use.

>I would roast two chickens like say in crockpots (or better yet
>turkey). Then make brown rice, topped with gravy derived from the
>crockpot stock, carrots & celery too (maybe other veggies depending on
>sales but not potatoes because of the rice). I'd make biscuits half
>whole wheat probably, white ones would be prefered by some, the good
>ones by others.

Grin, just one dish for 20, not all the dishes for 20. The wife of the
preacher does the biscuits and another does a really nice sausage gravy for
them. It's a stock item they always have and can whip up more of if the
crowd is bigger.

>I don't know if soup lines do a desert. Cake I think would be your
>cheapest, fruit or a cobbler would be best nutrition I suppose.

I've seen jello and such. I gather when fruit is really cheap, pies are
common. I saw what looked like a few pumpkin spice pies when I dropped off
the baked apples.
This place is a 'soup kitchen' only as a common reference in name, it's not
just soups. Just simple dishes of all sorts into a sort of big 'potluck'
free for all to come and eat at. No, you dont have to be a member <g>. We
arent really church goers for example.

>I haven't ran a soup line, so I don't base this on experience. It is
>instead my thoughts on high nutrition per dollar. If your customers
>stomaches are really out of whack (ever been around a meth adict?)
>they will not handle the complex stuff, but what can you do?

Thanks for the ideas! No, this isnt really the kind of affair that the meth
addicts go to. It's more the local subsidized housing complex nearby and
some elderly folks on fixed incomes who appreciate a free meal and some
company. A few homeless and I gather after feeding them up, they get them
to local shelters for the night. I havent actually stayed for the event
past the first part when dropping off stuff.

They also take donated household goods and clothes, which are free on
request for any who need them.

Nexis 06-01-2008 05:00 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> [...]
> big pot of either in the crock. If doing sweet yams, I could make a sauce and have
> them soft and like 'baked yams with brown sugar'. I passed the idea over though
> and they think it will work well.
>
> Oh, the place for food safety reasons *does* have rules and won't just take
> 'anything from anyone' and put it on the line. If it is prone to fast spoilage for
> example, they require it be made there on site <g>.
>
> The only rules are it be safe, and have as close to 20 servings as possible. They
> also ask us to not become poor ourselves by adding in more than we can afford.
>
> Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a little
> good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd also like to try to
> add things with as much nutrition as possible and in winter, warming things like

The first thing that springs to mind is soups. A good vegetable soup is easy enough
to make and doesn't require meat. Vegetable beef is also pretty affordable, since you
don't need a lot of meat to get alot of flavor. How about a chicken black bean chili?
With cornbread muffins, perhaps? Or beef stew, served over rice so it goes further.
Another thing that wouldn't be too hard would be scalloped potatoes. You can add ham,
which is usually not too expensive, and a little goes a long way.
What about bean and cheese burritos? Easy and with a big crock of beans it's a pretty
good self-server.
Ratatouille?

kimberly

deja.blues 06-01-2008 07:07 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

cshenk wrote:
> I am thinking I may try next Sunday too with a large batch of
> dashi-tofu-chinese broccoli soup to serve in mugs with a 1/4 cup of
> rice at the bottom.

Are you sure tofu will be well-received?

hahabogus 06-01-2008 08:31 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"chefhelen" > wrote in
:

> [...]
>> possible and in winter, warming things like soups and stews.
>>

> Sometimes here we get chicken legs for $.29/lb. With these you can
> make a dynamite chicken soup, baked chicken with rice and a veg,
> chicken pot pie, chicken casseroles, etc.
>
> Another good idea, to me, is split pea soup. Bits of ham make it nice
> and/or sliced sausage added in at the end.
>
> Cabbage is another good veg either for braising and serving with hot
> dogs/other meat or making soup with. It makes a ton and can usually
> be found at about $.39/lb.
>
> Quiche and eggy things such as that are also good when filled with
> cheaper ingredients and made in to casseroles.
>
> I sometimes run across bananas and other fruits at a good price and
> I'm sure that those would be welcomed also. I'm sure if these folks
> are hurting for money that they think fresh fruit and veg are

Hold the noodles...
Food bank people see enough pasta....

Bean, cabbage and sausage soup. It's cheap and very tasty. Who said you
need only use 1 type of bean?

Bean and bacon soup

veggie beef soup with barley is fairly cheap and tasty. Use chuck instead
of stewing beef...it tastes better.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Christine Dabney 06-01-2008 04:08 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 22:03:15 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" wrote
>>>Humm, eggs are now pricey here. Can run 3$ a carton of 12 now.

>> If you are near a Trader Joes, check out eggs there. Their prices are

>Sorry no, nearest one is almost 4 hours away (DC area sort of)

I thought you were near Newport News. There is one there.

Christine

Bobo Bonobo® 06-01-2008 04:47 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Jan 5, 8:08*pm, (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

> (we often can get Aidell's sausages from the Food Bank)

Pretty swanky food bank.

> Charlotte

--Bryan

Charlotte L. Blackmer 06-01-2008 07:33 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

In article >,
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>On Jan 5, 8:08*pm, (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
>>
>> (we often can get Aidell's sausages from the Food Bank)

>Pretty swanky food bank.

Not really, although it's large and well-organized.

Aidells' is Extremely Local. It helps.

Back in the days before we belonged to the FB, they would occasionally
either donate to us or make us a deal - one of our coordinators is a
way-back friend of Bruce's. (We would schlep down to the warehouse to get it.)

We are, of course, thrilled to be the recipient of their community-minded
generosity, and the guests just eat it all up. It's mighty tasty
sausage!

Charlotte

Charlotte L. Blackmer 06-01-2008 08:08 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

In article >, cshenk > wrote:
>"Charlotte L. Blackmer" wrote
>
>>>Anyways, I'd love any ideas of things others would find useful to feed at
>>>least 20 people a good serving for 6$ or roughly that. This isnt intended
>>>to be a full meal, just one of 3-4 items they'd get.

>> (specifics snipped)

>> Beans, rice, and pasta are your friends!

>Oh definately! There are 2 folks who bring a time honored chili dish each
>time. One makes her's hot and the fellow makes his mildish, so folks can
>get which suits them.

Then cornbread sounds like a great idea!

(Bean burritos/enchiladas, not so much ;)

>> It's fun and will also keep you busy figuring out yields per bag and the
>> like. :D (I'm glad I was always good at arithmetic.)

>Hehehe yes, I am having fun with it. Just have to keep it affordable and I
>decided that someplace around 6$ works for us. Can be a little more, but
>thats the goal.

For a side for 20 folks, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd probably be
thinking along the line of veggie soup, other veggie side (you're in the
south - greens mebbe?), or a nice simple dessert of some kind. (More
fruity than starchy or sugary would be my preference if I could score a
deal on fruit.)

I check the Safeway fliers to see if they put cake mix on special - when
it goes down to about $1 a box, I buy it for cupcakes. I do know how to
make this stuff from scratch - one day I'm going to try my vegan chocolate
cake
(http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com/2...egan-cake.html)
in cupcake form - but I haven't heard complaints ;) and it's easy for me
to scale up production for 120 if I need to.

>> Charlotte

>(smile, love the name. Thats my daughter's name too)

I've been hearing that a lot in the last fifteen years or so ;). NOT very
common in my gen-uh-ra-tion though - most of the ones I know have it as a
family name (as I do) although there are some Lit-Maven parents in there.

cheers

Charlotte

winston winslo 06-01-2008 11:21 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

cshenk wrote:

> We've gotten friendly with the church our huge monster commercial chest
> freezer went to. (Replaced by a newer model as mentioned in the past).
>
> On Sunday and holidays, they have a big free potluck for local homeless
> and
> others who are short on funds. When it gets cold like it is now, they
> always have trouble having enough food to go around. They arent
> government subsidized or anything.
>
> We signed up to bring food on this Sunday (and plan to for the first
> Sunday of each month if work permits me to be off to bring it, will
> alternate another Sunday if cant or drop off something during the week if
> needed).
>
> Anyways, I'd love any ideas of things others would find useful to feed at
> least 20 people a good serving for 6$ or roughly that. This isnt intended
> to be a full meal, just one of 3-4 items they'd get.

(cut)
I ran a soup kitchen for 11 years. Some of the people you serve have uneasy
stomach due to drugs and such. Some do not have the best of teeth. For the
best utilization of money and supplies the best meal you can serve is in
the name. Soup. With your kitchen one 5 gal pot is all you need. You could
try though to hit up a local pizza hut and and see if they will save the
leftover pizza. One oven and two sheet pans will handle that number of
people with no problem. Our Dunkin Doughnut has to rotate their shelves. So
they would give us a tray of doughnuts everyday. One three gallon pot for
sweet tea or koolaid and you are good to go. After a while word gets around
and you are offered leftovers from church suppers, organization get
togathers and such for something to go with the or in place of the soup.
May I suggest never let any government programs assist you or sooner or
later you will be required to keep some kind of paper work. The biggest
thing to keep in mind is always send thank you cards for the donations and
treat your volunteers like gold. I fed on an average of 60 or so meals a
day. Never ran out of supplies and never had to turn in a government
report. All supplies and money was donated by the citizens of our rather
small city. It is to bad they have the rules they do because it works
aganist you.

Goomba38 07-01-2008 05:36 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

hahabogus wrote:

> veggie beef soup with barley is fairly cheap and tasty. Use chuck instead
> of stewing beef...it tastes better.

I made the best crock pot beef-vegetable soup last week using skirt
steak that I picked up in the "used meat" bin. It was fabulous!

chefhelen 07-01-2008 06:05 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> [...]
> able to make up a big pot of either in the crock. If doing sweet yams, I
> could make a sauce and have them soft and like 'baked yams with brown
> sugar'. I passed the idea over though and they think it will work well.
>
> Oh, the place for food safety reasons *does* have rules and won't just
> take 'anything from anyone' and put it on the line. If it is prone to
> fast spoilage for example, they require it be made there on site <g>.
>
> The only rules are it be safe, and have as close to 20 servings as
> possible. They also ask us to not become poor ourselves by adding in more
> than we can afford.
>
> Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
> little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd
> also like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in
> winter, warming things like soups and stews.

I sent this day before yesterday and it still hasn't shown up so I'll try it
again......

blake murphy 07-01-2008 05:08 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 19:08:15 +0000 (UTC),
(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

>In article >, cshenk > wrote:
>>> Charlotte

>>(smile, love the name. Thats my daughter's name too)

>I've been hearing that a lot in the last fifteen years or so ;). NOT very
>common in my gen-uh-ra-tion though - most of the ones I know have it as a
>family name (as I do) although there are some Lit-Maven parents in there.
>
>cheers
>
>Charlotte

the lit-maven parents name their kid after a spider?

your pal,
blake

sf[_3_] 08-01-2008 04:43 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:08:15 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 19:08:15 +0000 (UTC),
>(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

>>>(smile, love the name. Thats my daughter's name too)

>>I've been hearing that a lot in the last fifteen years or so ;). NOT very
>>common in my gen-uh-ra-tion though - most of the ones I know have it as a
>>family name (as I do) although there are some Lit-Maven parents in there.
>>
>>cheers
>>
>>Charlotte

>the lit-maven parents name their kid after a spider?

LOL! You're so BAD, Blake.

cshenk 08-01-2008 10:08 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Christine Dabney" wrote
>>> If you are near a Trader Joes, check out eggs there. Their prices are

>>Sorry no, nearest one is almost 4 hours away (DC area sort of)

> I thought you were near Newport News. There is one there.

According to their web page, it's north of Williamsberg, a good 3 hours at
least from me.

Christine Dabney 08-01-2008 10:11 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 04:08:18 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" wrote
>>>
>>>Sorry no, nearest one is almost 4 hours away (DC area sort of)

>> I thought you were near Newport News. There is one there.

>According to their web page, it's north of Williamsberg, a good 3 hours at
>least from me.

Nope.
I went to the one in Newport News.

The address:
2551 Jefferson Ave
Newport News, VA 23602

This is from their website.

Christine

cshenk 08-01-2008 10:29 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" wrote

>>time. One makes her's hot and the fellow makes his mildish, so folks can
>>get which suits them.

> Then cornbread sounds like a great idea!

That it does! I didnt get to a 'trip report' til now, but it was fun! Lots
of food and low on any sort of bread other than day old store type (regular
white and wheat slices and 'day old' just means what you have in your fridge
the day after shopping which I'm sure you eat just like we do).

>>Hehehe yes, I am having fun with it. Just have to keep it affordable and
>>decided that someplace around 6$ works for us. Can be a little more, but
>>thats the goal.

> For a side for 20 folks, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd probably be

No, it isnt at all. Very easy to do. We can even hit 3$ if we want to, but
figured we'd add a second item or some rice for the rice maker if so. The
butter beans and ham hocks went over really well. Looks like they licked
the crockpot <g>.

> thinking along the line of veggie soup, other veggie side (you're in the
> south - greens mebbe?), or a nice simple dessert of some kind. (More
> fruity than starchy or sugary would be my preference if I could score a
> deal on fruit.)

I'll leave the dessert to those better at it than I am. My skills there
arent much better than jello ;-)

Veggie soups are a definate and they want to try the fish soup too (dashi is
just that, fish soup with a japanese name). They used to have that at the
end tureen but the maker of it went away.

I promised a small pot next week as a trial for them. Dashi with Tofu may
'sound' fancy but in reality it's really fast and easy. Cheaper than
chicken bullion too.

> in cupcake form - but I haven't heard complaints ;) and it's easy for me
> to scale up production for 120 if I need to.

Hey, works for me!

>>> Charlotte

>>(smile, love the name. Thats my daughter's name too)

> I've been hearing that a lot in the last fifteen years or so ;). NOT very
> common in my gen-uh-ra-tion though - most of the ones I know have it as a
> family name (as I do) although there are some Lit-Maven parents in there.

Family name on our part. I'm one of the few not named Charlotte but only
because my elder sister got the name. I'm happy with 'Carol' which means
'song of joy'.

cshenk 08-01-2008 10:37 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Nexis" wrote

> The first thing that springs to mind is soups. A good vegetable soup is
> easy enough to make and doesn't require meat. Vegetable beef is also
> pretty affordable, since you

Yup, the chili market is covered but thee's room for good soups still.

> Another thing that wouldn't be too hard would be scalloped potatoes. You
> can add

Humm! Good one there! I can do that easy enough. I was thinking a big
batch of baked ones in the 6.5litre crockpot but can turn them into
scalloped ones easy enough with some cheese and cream. Toss in a handful of
homemade dried onions from my dehydrator and some parsley to 'make it
pretty'.

Thanks!

cshenk 08-01-2008 11:00 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"deja.blues" wrote

>> I am thinking I may try next Sunday too with a large batch of
>> dashi-tofu-chinese broccoli soup to serve in mugs with a 1/4 cup of
>> rice at the bottom.

> Are you sure tofu will be well-received?

No, but the fish based broth is one they are actively asking for. I am not
sure how to do it any other way so they asked for me to bring the one I do
know.

After living in Japan for 6.5 years, I got pretty good with dashi based
soups. The bean curd is cut small to pinky-nail sized bits and has little
flavor of it's own. What we arent certain of is if the seaweed portion of
the dashi base flavor will work or not for the folks.

I can also make regular non-seaweed fish stocks, but they take a bit of time
and i need several bangus carcasses to start off from. (Bangus= milk fish I
think in english). I only have 2 of those and it would need at least 4,
with 6 being optimal.

Hey, I figure if they licked the crockpot of butterbeans clean, and it had
patis and mirin added, maybe they are gonna like this dashi base too. I'm
to bring about 2 quarts. It will be a thin clear version, suitable for a
coffee mug. Folks find the 'broth' tureens at the door and fill up there
first, then wander the lines and get the rest.

Stuff is laid out in a sort of grouping, so you get 1 main dish, 1 veggie, 1
starch, 1 bread, and 1 dessert. If they have lots of veggies or lots of
anything else, you can get 2. Honor system. If there's no line, you can go
back for seconds.

Grin, my bean dish was between the veggies and starches and could count as
either. There were also 2 thick soups which are extra and dont count among
the others so all in all, you can get 1 broth, 1 soup, 1 main dish, 1
starch, 1 veggie, 1 bread, and 1 dessert. Pretty good to get 7 things and
be able to chose among'em!

I'm centering in on non-sweet dishes now. Several folks there were 'extra
sweet' (diabetics) and not much of the food was suitable for them. Candy (a
diabetic for all her name) said she could use some help there and my cookery
is close to the needs of it so little adaption is needed there. She brings
a chicken dish each time with diabetic cookery in mind. She stuck a little
label out on her's about it. I didnt label mine as the beans were a bit
over the limit for pure diabetic needs.

cshenk 08-01-2008 11:16 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"winston winslo" wrote

> I ran a soup kitchen for 11 years. Some of the people you serve have
> uneasy
> stomach due to drugs and such. Some do not have the best of teeth. For the
> best utilization of money and supplies the best meal you can serve is in
> the name. Soup. With your kitchen one 5 gal pot is all you need. You could

Grin, bless you!

In this place, they put on quite a food basket. I saw something like 80
people, and sadly 20 of them were under age 16 (several 5-6 YO's). We had
more than enough food and the rest probably went off to the more big places.

> sweet tea or koolaid and you are good to go. After a while word gets
> around
> and you are offered leftovers from church suppers, organization get
> togathers and such for something to go with the or in place of the soup.

This one is a church group, and they have lots besides soup. It is
simplified gourmet, but it was actually fairly fancy. I found out it
started 10 years ago as a simple after church potluck and grew to accomodate
anyone else who was hungry but they do not advertize (cant handle the load).

> May I suggest never let any government programs assist you or sooner or
> later you will be required to keep some kind of paper work. The biggest

I think that may be why they do not do that. All food is donated by the
folks there and while they have internal controls on quality and safety, I'm
not aware of anything fancier than a 'potluck' open to others if they wish.
(In fact, the folks there eat minimally so as to leave lots of the food for
the others but we do get to taste test one anothers creations).

> thing to keep in mind is always send thank you cards for the donations and
> treat your volunteers like gold. I fed on an average of 60 or so meals a
> day. Never ran out of supplies and never had to turn in a government
> report. All supplies and money was donated by the citizens of our rather
> small city. It is to bad they have the rules they do because it works
> aganist you.

So far, the group seems to be doing ok and it was *mucho* fun. 23 of us
showed up with 20+ servings of various things. 80 some odd showed up
needing it. Perhaps we are a bit too 'fancy' for the meth-heads and they
dont eat there, but you cant be everything to everyone.

cshenk 08-01-2008 11:22 AM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Christine Dabney" wrote

>>> I thought you were near Newport News. There is one there.

>>According to their web page, it's north of Williamsberg, a good 3 hours at
>>least from me.
>>

> Nope.
> I went to the one in Newport News.
>
> The address:
> 2551 Jefferson Ave
> Newport News, VA 23602

Ok, still 70 mile round trip. Sorry but with the price of gas, thats not
going to save me anything for eggs no matter how cheap they are there. I'd
be better getting them at 8$ a dozen within 2 miles ;-)

deja.blues 08-01-2008 01:42 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "winston winslo" wrote
>
>> I ran a soup kitchen for 11 years. Some of the people you serve have
>> uneasy
>> stomach due to drugs and such. Some do not have the best of teeth. For
>> the
>> best utilization of money and supplies the best meal you can serve is in
>> the name. Soup. With your kitchen one 5 gal pot is all you need. You
>> could

> Grin, bless you!

Why do you call everyone Grin?

cybercat 08-01-2008 05:10 PM

'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Christine Dabney" wrote
>>>
>>>Sorry no, nearest one is almost 4 hours away (DC area sort of)

>> I thought you were near Newport News. There is one there.

> According to their web page, it's north of Williamsberg, a good 3 hours at
> least from me.

We don't have one in the Triangle are either. (NC)