Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Go ahead, laugh,

but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?

Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.

Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
something.

Whaddaya say?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:18:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
>thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
>so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
>
>Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
>to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
>
>Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
>crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
>something.
>
>Whaddaya say?

How about these?

I am sure you could use what you have...

Christine

Charliam's Favorite Chicken Wings (Cracklin' Wings)

Recipe By :Pat (Cryambers)
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers poultry

24 whole chicken wings
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper -- ground
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Optional:
1/2 cup butter
4 1/2 ounces hot sauce -- Frank's
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 lime -- juiced

* Seasonings are just a suggestion

1. Wash chicken wings and pat dry. Separate drummies from paddles,
and cut off wing tips -reserve for another use.
2. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil and spray with nonstick cooking
spray. Put flour, pepper, garlic powder and salt in ziplock bag;
shake to mix. Add wing pieces, a few at a time, and shake to coat.
Put flour-coated wings on foil-covered cookie sheets. Bake in
preheated 375°F oven for 1 1/2 hours, moving wing pieces around after
45 minutes so they won't stick to the foil.
3. When wings are done, melt butter in medium saucepan. Add hot
sauce, vinegar, and lime juice. Turn off heat. Toss wings with sauce
and serve.

Yield:
"48 pieces"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.

"Instead of going to Hooter's, were going to have these
chicken wings I made myself."

Favorite son will be sooo happy. :-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
> thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
> so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
>
> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
>
> Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
> crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
> something.
>
> Whaddaya say?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007

Here is my simple oven/pan method.

- Thaw them
- quick flour drugde
- give them a quick browning in a frying pan
- Slather some BBQ sauce on them (home made is best, make extra tangy and
extra hot)
- Put them in the oven at 350 for 60ish minutes, turning and adding some
more BBQ sauce at the 40 min mark)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
> thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
> so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
>
> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
>
> Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
> crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
> something.
>
> Whaddaya say?

What a coincidence. My son is coming home on the 24th and will be home for
a week. He loves Buffalo wings. I almost feel guilty because I was just
about to cook some for supper because Buffalo wings with celery and carrots
sticks with bleu cheese dressing and a beer is my usual Saturday night
dinner. He lives in Montreal and good Buffalo wings are impossible to find
there.

If the wings are frozen you should be able to cook the wings frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:18:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
> >thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
> >so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
> >
> >Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> >to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
> >
> >Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
> >crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
> >something.
> >
> >Whaddaya say?

> How about these?
>
> I am sure you could use what you have...
>
> Christine
>
> Charliam's Favorite Chicken Wings (Cracklin' Wings)
>
> Recipe By :Pat (Cryambers)
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : appetizers poultry

> 24 whole chicken wings
> 1 cup flour
> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
> 1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper -- ground
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
> Optional:
> 1/2 cup butter
> 4 1/2 ounces hot sauce -- Frank's
> 1 tablespoon white vinegar
> 1 lime -- juiced
>
> * Seasonings are just a suggestion
>
> 1. Wash chicken wings and pat dry. Separate drummies from paddles,
> and cut off wing tips -reserve for another use.
> 2. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil and spray with nonstick cooking
> spray. Put flour, pepper, garlic powder and salt in ziplock bag;
> shake to mix. Add wing pieces, a few at a time, and shake to coat.
> Put flour-coated wings on foil-covered cookie sheets. Bake in
> preheated 375°F oven for 1 1/2 hours, moving wing pieces around after
> 45 minutes so they won't stick to the foil.
> 3. When wings are done, melt butter in medium saucepan. Add hot
> sauce, vinegar, and lime juice. Turn off heat. Toss wings with sauce
> and serve.
>
> Yield:
> "48 pieces"

Ok, that looks good, but I've a question about the time and temp. Seems
hot and long. Have you ever made them, Christine? Seems like they'd be
drying out and I'm not looking for that.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:01:17 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Ok, that looks good, but I've a question about the time and temp. Seems
>hot and long. Have you ever made them, Christine? Seems like they'd be
>drying out and I'm not looking for that.

No I have never made them. I know Damsel has made them, and I always
heard how great they were. They have been in my recipe file for years
now, and I sometimes think of trying them out.
Maybe Cryambers will speak up about them?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
> thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
> so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
>
> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
>
> Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
> crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
> something.
>
> Whaddaya say?

Funny you should ask. The SO is just about to make his famous peanut
chicken wings for a party tonight. He made a double batch last year for
the same party and they were gone within 5 minutes of hitting the table.
They disappeared faster than the sushi, which is surprising for this
crowd. We did NOT make up the title of this recipe.

Nutty Ricky Ricardo Chicken Wings
(from Nuevo Cubano Cooking, by Sue Mullin. Apple Press, 1993)

12 chicken wings or chicken wing drummettes
salt and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried hot red pepper flakes to taste, or 1/2 fresh or
canned jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
3 ox. finely chopped roasted peanuts
3-4 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 400°. In shallow baking pan lined with foil, season
wings or drummettes with salt and pepper. Bake in middle of oven for 30
minutes, until they begin to brown and become crisp. Meanwhile, stir
together peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, cumin, garlic, and pepper
flakes in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring until smooth.
Brush chickn wings generously with sauce and bake 10-15 more minutes.
Sprinkle wings immediately with chopped peanuts and cilantro and let
cool slightly before serving. Serves 4 as an appetizer.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:48:53 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>If the wings are frozen you should be able to cook the wings frozen.

Absolutely! that's what I do. I oven fry them. Coat liberally with
oil and bake on high heat until brown and crispy. The rest is the
classic Frank's recipe with butter and hot sauce, served with blue
cheese dressing for dipping.

http://tinyurl.com/2g9brs

Blue Cheese dressing:

* 1 cup mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
* Salt & pepper, to taste

In a small bowl, add all the ingredients together. Stir together until
well mixed. Refrigerate until ready to use.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:41:14 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
>> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.

>"Instead of going to Hooter's, were going to have these
>chicken wings I made myself."
>
>Favorite son will be sooo happy. :-(

You owe me a pair of undies.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
> thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
> so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
>
> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
>
> Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
> crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
> something.
>
> Whaddaya say?

We love these and I'm thinking of making them new years eve for a small
get together at our house. You can use the drummettes instead of the
whole wings, just defrost them first. You might want to double the recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Five-Spice Chicken Wings

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese Five-spice powder
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
3 Pounds chicken wings -- about 16

Preheat broiler and oil rack of a broiler pan

Mix the garlic, five-spice powder and soy sauce in a small bowl.

Cut off and discard tips from chicken wings with a kitchen shears or a
large, heavy knife, then halve the wings at joint. Pat dry and add to
spice mixture, tossing to coat.

Broil, turning once, until done.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> How about these?
>
> I am sure you could use what you have...
>
> Christine
>
> Charliam's Favorite Chicken Wings (Cracklin' Wings)

snips

That looks really good. I might try that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:41:14 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >>
> >> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> >> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.

> >"Instead of going to Hooter's, were going to have these
> >chicken wings I made myself."
> >
> >Favorite son will be sooo happy. :-(

> You owe me a pair of undies.
>
> Lou

I BEG your pardon?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Ok, that looks good, but I've a question about the time and temp. Seems
> hot and long. Have you ever made them, Christine? Seems like they'd be
> drying out and I'm not looking for that.

We've made wings from Charliam's recipe. Quite similar to the original
Buffalo wings, first popularized by the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. When
I lived in upstate NY, I got to visit the shrine of chicken wings
several times, so I know the True Gospel on this subject. I've been
making a close approximation of their recipe for many years. For the
traditional Anchor Bar version, you would deep-fry the wings. I always
bake them. The dry spices might be a bit different in Charliam's
version - you can experiment to see what you like best.

When we host big parties (e.g., for the Super Bowl) I often make two
batches of wings: one batch Buffalo-style with the traditional blue
cheese dressing and celery sticks, and another from the Cuban recipe
that Cindy posted earlier in this thread. Both varieties are big hits
with the guests.

Yes, the timing in the posted recipe looks too long. The temp is not
critical. Just bake them until the fat is rendered out, and the skin is
getting a bit crispy. 30 to 45 minutes is probably enough.

--
Julian Vrieslander

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:18:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
>thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
>so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
>
>Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
>to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
>
>Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
>crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
>something.
>
>Whaddaya say?

Thaw, put in oven dish, douse with a mixture of soy sauce, chili
powder (optional) and honey, toss well, bake, tossing a few times
during the requisite half-hour. Yummy!

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 22, 7:17*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:41:14 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> >> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.

> >"Instead of going to Hooter's, were going to have these
> >chicken wings I made myself."

> >Favorite son will be sooo happy. *:-(

> You owe me a pair of undies.

You shouls be careful with the hot sauce then.

There was another guy on another NG who had leaky anus syndrome.

It's really no laughing matter.

> Lou

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:01:17 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

> >Ok, that looks good, but I've a question about the time and temp. Seems
> >hot and long. Have you ever made them, Christine? Seems like they'd be
> >drying out and I'm not looking for that.

> No I have never made them. I know Damsel has made them, and I always
> heard how great they were. They have been in my recipe file for years
> now, and I sometimes think of trying them out.
> Maybe Cryambers will speak up about them?
>
> Christine

It depends on how dry you want them. When I first made these and
wrote up the recipe and posted it, I did them the longer time. I do
generally cut the time back a little now, closer to an hour total.
When the sauce goes on them, though, they moisten back up if they're
getting dry.

Damsel liked this recipe because she likes wings really crispy.
That's where the "crackling" name she gave them comes from. I think
she omits the sauce.

pat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 5:59 am, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> Can someone tell the Other World what a chicken wing drumette is please?
>
> (over here, the only similar name is chicken drumsticks, but they are
> chicken leg thighs and nothing to do with wings)

The are the humerus section of the wing, the one with the single bone,
nearest the breast.

> And buffalo wings, what they?

They were first made in Buffalo, New York. They're (I think) fried
unbreaded wings, in a sauce made with Louisiana-type hot sauce and
butter.
They are often served with bleu cheese salad dressing.

> I'm wondering if your chicken wings are something very different to
> our chicken wings (which are so tiny they have hardly any meat).

They're fun to eat because you get a high surface area to volume
ration, which means extra skin and extra sauce, in proportion to the
meat.

> Janet.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 4:27 am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> --
> "In my experience, clever food is not appreciated
> at Christmas. It makes the little ones cry and the
> old ones nervous."
> ~Jane Grigson

I like that quote.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> Can someone tell the Other World what a chicken wing drumette is please?
>
> (over here, the only similar name is chicken drumsticks, but they are
> chicken leg thighs and nothing to do with wings)
>
> And buffalo wings, what they?
>
> I'm wondering if your chicken wings are something very different to
> our chicken wings (which are so tiny they have hardly any meat).
>
> Janet.

Buffalo wings originated at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. They're
chicken wings deep-fried and served coated in a buttery hot (as in
spicy) sauce.

Most places that serve wings cut the wing into two pieces. The piece
that looks like a tiny drumstick is the drumette.

One note I should have made in commenting on cooking time is that I
*don't* cut the wing into pieces. Using a whole wing is probably the
reason they can stand such a long time in the oven. Making just the
drumettes should require a shorter oven time.

pat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 6:53 am, Cryambers > wrote:
> Janet Baraclough wrote:
> > Can someone tell the Other World what a chicken wing drumette is please?

> > (over here, the only similar name is chicken drumsticks, but they are
> > chicken leg thighs and nothing to do with wings)

> > And buffalo wings, what they?

> > I'm wondering if your chicken wings are something very different to
> > our chicken wings (which are so tiny they have hardly any meat).

> > Janet.

> Buffalo wings originated at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. They're
> chicken wings deep-fried and served coated in a buttery hot (as in
> spicy) sauce.
>
> Most places that serve wings cut the wing into two pieces. The piece
> that looks like a tiny drumstick is the drumette.
>
> One note I should have made in commenting on cooking time is that I
> *don't* cut the wing into pieces. Using a whole wing is probably the
> reason they can stand such a long time in the oven. Making just the
> drumettes should require a shorter oven time.

I like the "forearm" section better than the drumette. It's more
tender, and I like the flavor better too.

> pat

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nathalie Chiva > wrote:

> Thaw, put in oven dish, douse with a mixture of soy sauce, chili
> powder (optional) and honey, toss well, bake, tossing a few times
> during the requisite half-hour. Yummy!
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

Sounds like a plan, Nathalie. Thank you very much.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > dropped this
> : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
> > In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >> You owe me a pair of undies.
> >>
> >> Lou

> > I BEG your pardon?

> Undies aside, I just can't picture you wading through a pile of buffalo
> wings. I would want pics of that hot sauce sliding down your chin <evil
> grin>
>
> Michael

You're kidding. I love wings and am seriously annoyed that they cost as
much as they do. They used to be practically free, fercripesake.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:30:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:41:14 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:

>> >"Instead of going to Hooter's, were going to have these
>> >chicken wings I made myself."
>> >
>> >Favorite son will be sooo happy. :-(

>> You owe me a pair of undies.
>>
>> Lou

>I BEG your pardon?

You said: "Go ahead, laugh." His joke sure made me laugh. I guess
you didn't get the joke.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> I tell ya', the best wing I ever made were years and years ago. I broiled
> the wings in the oven and then put them in a huge bowl. While the wings
> were cooking I melted butter on the stove and added hot sauce until the
> taste was to my liking. When the wings were in the bowl I poured the hot
> sauce in and mixed it all up. Good eats.
>
> Michael

That's how we make "Buffalo wings". We also put the wings on a rack
under the broiler to allow the wing fat to drain off. I figure that
partially makes up for the fat in the hot sauce/butter mixture.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> You're kidding. I love wings and am seriously annoyed that they cost as
> much as they do. They used to be practically free, fercripesake.

Amen to that, Barb! I think I paid $3.50/pound for the "party wings" at
Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger) yesterday. It's one of the few places in
town that sells unfrozen wings.

Per Michael's comment about flank steak: Same thing for skirt steak.
Before the fajita craze, skirt steak was dirt cheap. Now you may as
well buy top round.

Yes, the wings disappeared last night. We were smart this year and had
two separate platters, so they didn't disappear quite as fast. The
party had a large number of known teenagers, so the sushi platter was
decimated in no time. We did not starve, since there were many other
offerings.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 07:33:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Nathalie Chiva > wrote:
>
>> Thaw, put in oven dish, douse with a mixture of soy sauce, chili
>> powder (optional) and honey, toss well, bake, tossing a few times
>> during the requisite half-hour. Yummy!
>>
>> Nathalie in Switzerland

>Sounds like a plan, Nathalie. Thank you very much.

I used to make mahogany wings, but I don't remember chili anything in
it. I may have used some Asian chili oil (liquid and hot)
occasionally though.

I don't have the recipe anymore, so this is winging it... in
approximate proportions.

Mahogany Wings

½ c. Molasses
½ c. Honey
¼ c. Soy sauce
2 t. Grated fresh ginger
2-4 finely chopped garlic cloves
1t. Asian sesame oil (optional)
lightly browned sesame seeds (optional)

Let marinade in a zip lock bag for an hour or overnight in the
refrigerator, turning the bag to redistribute the marinade every so
often.

Heat oven 375°F.

Line your baking pan with foil to make clean up easier. Place the
wings in a single layer, brush with marinade. Bake half an hour, turn
and brush with more marinade. Bake 20-30 minutes more, brushing with
marinade. The wings are done when they are a deep brown and cooked
through. Discard the rest of the marinade.

Place on a serving plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with
plenty of napkins.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Baraclough > wrote:

> Can someone tell the Other World what a chicken wing drumette is please?
>
> (over here, the only similar name is chicken drumsticks, but they are
> chicken leg thighs and nothing to do with wings)
>
> And buffalo wings, what they?
>
> I'm wondering if your chicken wings are something very different to
> our chicken wings (which are so tiny they have hardly any meat).
>
> Janet.

Janet, the "drumette" is the one-bone section of the bird's wing. The
flat piece (sometimes called 'paddle') has two bones, and the tip is,
well, the tip. HTH.
Merry Christmas!

Buffalo wings are chicken wings prepared one way or another (purists
will probably say they're deep fried) and drenched in a sauce of hot
sauce and melted butter -- tossed in said mixture. Often served with
bleu-type cheese dressing and celery sticks. I refuse to have the
cheese dressing with my Hooter's wings because the cheap bums charge for
the dressing! Fercripesake!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Baraclough > wrote:

> I'm wondering if your chicken wings are something very different to
> our chicken wings (which are so tiny they have hardly any meat).
>
> Janet.

Depends on the size of the bird. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> > to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.

> "Instead of going to Hooter's, were going to have these
> chicken wings I made myself."
>
> Favorite son will be sooo happy. :-(

Lissen, if I announce that I'm making wings, I'm guessing the two guys
involved here (spouse and son) are VERY likely to say, "Hey, why don't
we just go to Hooter's so you won't have to cook."

That's how I'll get out of cooking them and they're guys and they'll
never get that they've been had. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:41:14 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >>
> >> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> >> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.

> >"Instead of going to Hooter's, were going to have these
> >chicken wings I made myself."
> >
> >Favorite son will be sooo happy. :-(

> You owe me a pair of undies.
>
> Lou

OK, Lou. I JUST got the joke. Duh-me!!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > dropped this
> : in
> rec.food.cooking
>

> > You're kidding. I love wings and am seriously annoyed that they cost as
> > much as they do. They used to be practically free, fercripesake.

> Of course I'm kidding. I love wings too. I agree with you on the price.
> You know, it's the same with a lot of other meat too. Flank steak for
> example. It used to be considered an inferior piece of meat and was dirt
> cheap. I used to buy it all the time before it got "discovered" by the
> yuppie set back in the late 80s. Same thing with wings. Once Americans
> discovered hot sauce on wings it was all over with in regards to the cheap
> price of wings Do you like blue cheese to dip your wings in?
>
> Michael

Not to mention oxtails used to be cheap.
Yes, I do the cheese sauce for them. It's the only time I'm interested
in bleu cheese.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:56:55 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Not to mention oxtails used to be cheap.
>Yes, I do the cheese sauce for them. It's the only time I'm interested
>in bleu cheese.

Oxtails with blue cheese. That's different. LOL

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:18:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
>thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
>so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
>
>Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
>to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
>
>Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
>crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
>something.
>
>Whaddaya say?

well, you'd have to thaw them out for these:

chicken wing marinades (i usually discard wing tips and marinate them
overnight, then grill on electric indoor grill - mainly 'cause i don't
have access to charcoal.) an old mustard jar is handy to shake 'em up
to combine.

* * * * * * * * *

piquant lemon marinade (makes 1 1/2 cups)

1/2 cup each oil and lemon juice

1/3 cup water

2 tbs soy sauce

1 t brown sugar

1 t dijon mustard

2 cloves garlic, mashed (or chopped from a jar)

1 t paprika

1/2 t salt (1/2 t seasoned salt for half-recipe)
_________

combine all ingredients and pour over wings. 1/2 recipe is plenty for
8 or so wings (you might keep all the mustard). soak 2 or 3 hours or
overnight in refrigerator. baste while broiling. (c. 1980 chronicle
pub. co. - recipe from a either the wash. post or star newspaper)

* * * * * * * * *

vietnamese marinated chicken

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 tb salad oil

2 tb lemon juice

2 cloves garlic, crushed (or chopped from a jar)

1/4 t freshly ground black pepper

1/2 t sugar

1 t oyster or fish sauce (optional)
____________

combine all ingredients and pour over wings. soak 2-3 hours or
overnight in refrigerator. (enough for eight or so wings.) baste
while broiling. (from either wash. post or star newspaper)

* * * * * * * * *

yogurt marinade for broiled chicken

2 cloves garlic (or chopped from a jar)

1 t salt

1 tb chopped fresh mint or crumbled dried mint

1/4 t freshly ground black pepper

2 tb lemon juice

1 cup yogurt
_____________

crush garlic to a paste with the salt in mortar and pestle. combine
with the yogurt and rest of the ingredients and marinate at room temp.
1-2 hours. broil, watching carefully wings do not burn. (from either
wash. post or star newspaper.)

i guess baking (on a rack) would work also. may be even better for
the yogurt wings.

your pal,
foghorn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
> thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
> so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
>
> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
>
> Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
> crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
> something.
>
> Whaddaya say?

I bake them, (sprinkled with salt on a rack or crinkled up foil to catch
the fat) on a large rimmed jellyroll pan for 60-75 minutes, turning once
till they are very browned. Then they are dropped into a bowl with 1
part melted butter, 2 parts Frank's hot sauce and tossed until they
are well coated. Serve with either blue cheese or ranch dressing for
dipping and a salad.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>My son is coming home on the 24th and will be home for
> a week. He loves Buffalo wings. I almost feel guilty because I was just
> about to cook some for supper because Buffalo wings with celery and

carrots
> sticks with bleu cheese dressing and a beer is my usual Saturday night
> dinner. He lives in Montreal and good Buffalo wings are impossible to

find
> there.

They don't no steenkin' Buffalo Wings, they've got POUTINE...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> but what the heck do I do with the frozen chicken wing drummette
> thingies I bought a couple weeks ago? I'm not about to deep fry them,
> so I reckon I'll bake them. Do I thaw them first?
>
> Favorite son arrives tomorrow night and he loves them -- we usually go
> to Hooter's for them, but I wouldn't mind messing with these puppies.
>
> Suggestions are welcome. I'm not interested in anything involving a
> crockpot; I'm looking for something like buffalo wings from a saloon or
> something.

I've read a ton of responses below this posting, and I have a suggestion
that Mr. Murphy hit upon. My father-in-law taught me this and it works
great for small spare rib sections (cut by the butcher) too.

Marinade:
Almost 50 percent lemon juice (he used the bottled kind)
Almost 50 percent soy sauce.
The remainder of 100 percent in pickled jalapeno wheels and their
pickling solution.

Main ingredients:
Disjointed chicken wings and individual pork spareribs cut in half.

Soak the meat in the marinade for a couple of hours and then cook on
tinfoil on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray
until done. Probably thirty five minutes.

The products are tangy and slightly soy-saucey and not spicy hot. They
are not particularly attractive standing alone either. But they're tasty.

It occurs to me that if the meat is drumettes only, that you could cut
around the small end of the joint and strip the meat toward the large
end of the joint to make one of those meatball on a bone type of things.
I've done it before, and it's easy after the first one. This could be
done with any cooking method you choose.

leo

Please don't laugh gloria.p Preserving 18 24-07-2011 03:35 AM
for a laugh Peter Lucas[_13_] General Cooking 10 04-06-2010 09:20 PM
laugh Peter Lucas[_13_] General Cooking 4 03-06-2010 01:53 AM
Need a laugh? Larry Wine 0 18-03-2005 02:40 PM
Laugh or cry? Victor Sack General Cooking 2 27-10-2003 02:53 AM