Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ideas For Dressing Up Frozen Peas?

My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
bit? Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Teresa" > wrote in message
> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> bit? Thanks!

Dill, garlic, mint, slivers of almonds, Mrs. Dash seasoning, lemon juice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Teresa" > wrote in message
> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> bit? Thanks!

Mix them with carrots? Add pearl onions? I never put any butter on my
frozen veggies and really I don't put salt or pepper on them either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Teresa" > wrote in message
>> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
>> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
>> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
>> bit? Thanks!

> Mix them with carrots? Add pearl onions? I never put any butter on my
> frozen veggies and really I don't put salt or pepper on them either.

Ths time of year it's fun to dress them up with tiny little Santa beards
and hats.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Teresa wrote:
> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> bit? Thanks!

Sauteed mushrooms.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Teresa wrote:

> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> bit? Thanks!

If they are petite peas, a good preparation is
to put them frozen into a cup, run hot water
onto them, after a suitable number of seconds
(this takes practice to time accurately) dump
the water, and the peas are cold but thoroughly
thawed. They are really great that way.
Like berries. If I were to suggest any addition
(which is not at all necessary), a good balsamic
vinegar or a reduction of a balsamic vinegar
of lesser quality might be an improvement, but
I haven't tried that. I can get the timing right
on the button, and that's plenty good enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Teresa wrote

> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> bit? Thanks!

Sautee' some garlic in olive oil, add the peas and a few canned &
diced tomatoes, about 2 spoons of tomato for one peas can. Salt and
let go over low fire for 10 minutes, add groud white pepper and serve.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Teresa" > wrote in message
> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> bit? Thanks!

==========
Make a white sauce and add Swiss cheese to it; then add the peas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Teresa > wrote in

ups.com:

> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have
> become pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding
> butter, salt & pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas
> for dressing them up a bit? Thanks!

a bit of tarragon goes really well in peas.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:46:32 -0800 (PST), Teresa >
wrote:

>My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
>pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
>pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
>bit? Thanks!

White sauce and pearl onions.

Cubed paneer (cheddar will melt). Optionally, add carrots and curry
powder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"raymond" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:46:32 -0800 (PST), Teresa >
> wrote:
>
>>My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
>>pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
>>pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
>>bit? Thanks!

> White sauce and pearl onions.
>
> Cubed paneer (cheddar will melt). Optionally, add carrots and curry
> powder.

Or cubed paneer with a tomato and curry powder.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 11:46 pm, Teresa > wrote:
> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> bit? Thanks!

White sauce, serve over buttered toast. B-in-L's favourite quick
lunch
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 10:46 pm, Teresa > wrote:
> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> pepper.

Who in the world DOES prefer canned peas to frozen? I don't like
either, but the canned ones are really awful.
Same with canned spinach or asparagus.

> Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> bit? Thanks!

In red satin they would look very Christmassy.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Teresa wrote:

> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> bit? Thanks!

Thaw, drain. Mix in homemade buttermilk dressing, a few sliced green
onions and a handful of chopped cashews.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> Teresa wrote:
>
> > My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
> > pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
> > pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
> > bit? Thanks!

> Thaw, drain. Mix in homemade buttermilk dressing, a few sliced green
> onions and a handful of chopped cashews.

diced onion, dice a little bacon or pancetta and fry them together and
then toss in peas to cook at end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane > wrote:

>On Dec 15, 11:46 pm, Teresa > wrote:

>> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
>> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
>> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
>> bit? Thanks!

>White sauce, serve over buttered toast. B-in-L's favourite quick
>lunch

Or peas, pasta, olive oil, white vinegar, salt and pepper.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tamzen Cannoy wrote:

>> Thaw, drain. Mix in homemade buttermilk dressing, a few sliced green
>> onions and a handful of chopped cashews.

> diced onion, dice a little bacon or pancetta and fry them together and
> then toss in peas to cook at end.

I'll vouch for this one! Also adding some cream to the cooked onions/ham
(or pancetta) before adding thawed frozen peas. It was a wonderful dish
this past Thanksgiving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> Teresa wrote
>
>> My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
>> pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
>> pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
>> bit? Thanks!

> Sautee' some garlic in olive oil, add the peas and a few canned &
> diced tomatoes, about 2 spoons of tomato for one peas can. Salt and
> let go over low fire for 10 minutes, add groud white pepper and serve.

I like to add either a can of carrots, or a small can of sliced mushrooms

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>>My family likes peas, frozen rather than canned, but have become
>>>pretty bored with just "nuking" them and adding butter, salt &
>>>pepper. Does anyone have any simple ideas for dressing them up a
>>>bit?

I googled on "Indian recipe peas" and liked the looks of these possibilites:

http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serv...s/srcpa3.tdf?0
http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serv.../srcpv15.tdf?0
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/indian-ve...n-curried.html

Peas are my least favorite of the legumes. I prefer fresh green beans,
black beans, chick peas, just about any bean over peas. For that
reason, I like them dressed up quite a bit, and the heavy spices found
in Indian cooking do that for me.

--Lia