Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Freezing and storing cooked turkey?

On Dec 14, 5:15 am, (Phred) wrote:
[snip]
> Okay, so let's assume I can work out a way to cook the damn thing
> acceptably -- then what do I do with the leftovers?

The traditional thing to do is to eat the leftovers for a few days in
various forms like sandwiches, soup, tetrazzini/a la king/pot pie,
fried rice, then throw the rest away because everyone is sick and
tired of it. Seriously, I have never frozen leftover turkey. If I
were going to, the suggestion that comes to my mind would be to make
the largest amount of turkey gravy possible when you roast it. You
can do a lot more with leftover turkey and gravy than you can with
only turkey.

If the turkey you won seems too large for this approach, invite some
additional folks in to enjoy it in the first place. Found treats
should be shared, right? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:40:26 -0600, jay > wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:29:36 -0800 (PST), aem wrote:
>
>> On Dec 14, 5:15 am, (Phred) wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Okay, so let's assume I can work out a way to cook the damn thing
>>> acceptably -- then what do I do with the leftovers?
>>>

>> The traditional thing to do is to eat the leftovers for a few days in
>> various forms like sandwiches, soup, tetrazzini/a la king/pot pie,
>> fried rice, then throw the rest away because everyone is sick and
>> tired of it. -aem

>No kidding. Sometimes it makes me wonder -- why do they make us eat
>turkey? --!

LOL. I'm with the "throw the stuff out" crowd. Actually, I'd rather
not have to make it to begin with.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:40:26 -0600, jay > wrote:
>>On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:29:36 -0800 (PST), aem wrote:
>>> On Dec 14, 5:15 am, (Phred) wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>>
>>> The traditional thing to do is to eat the leftovers for a few days in
>>> various forms like sandwiches, soup, tetrazzini/a la king/pot pie,
>>> fried rice, then throw the rest away because everyone is sick and
>>> tired of it. -aem

>>No kidding. Sometimes it makes me wonder -- why do they make us eat
>>turkey? --!

>LOL. I'm with the "throw the stuff out" crowd. Actually, I'd rather
>not have to make it to begin with.

I can begin to sympathise with that attitude. :-)

Actually, I'm following up to say:
(1) thanks everybody who responded with suggested solutions; &
(2) the crisis has largely been averted! :-)

When I called back at the pub later to pick up the "turkey" it turned
out to be just a pack of frozen turkey breasts "Self-basting Ezyroast
Turkey Breasts" to give the full marketing title.

Now, just having turkey breasts markedly reduces the variables to
contend with, and that's clearly a Good Thing. Also, I found enough
freezer space to store the package, thus postponing any final decision
into the indefinite future. (At which point I will probably be back
here seeking recipe suggestions for roast turkey breasts. :-)

Mind you, at 3.2 kg there's still a fair bit of protein involved here.
(And, on that point, our Coles supermarket is presently advertising
specials of "large 32" whole turkeys (3.2 kg) and "large 36" turkey
breasts (3.6 kg) -- thus demonstrating that the part *can* be more
than the whole.

Thanks again, mates.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >,
(Phred) wrote:

> Mind you, at 3.2 kg there's still a fair bit of protein involved here.
> (And, on that point, our Coles supermarket is presently advertising
> specials of "large 32" whole turkeys (3.2 kg) and "large 36" turkey
> breasts (3.6 kg) -- thus demonstrating that the part *can* be more
> than the whole.

Gosh -- the local Woolies has whole birds up past 6 kg! But the American
turkeys seem to be a lot bigger -- 20-30 lb!

I have had a bit of a saga trying to find a turkey (we have 6 adults and two
kids coming, so a turkey was the most efficient solution). Went to one
Woolies on *Monday* and all the turkeys they had were thawed or thawing. As I
only wanted a small one, it seemed a bit unhealthy to have a thawed turkey
hanging around the fridge for more than a week. The guy in charge had gone
home, but they knew they weren't getting more turkeys the next day.

Went to a nearby Coles on the Tuesday. All the Steggles turkeys were gone
except one, but there were plenty of Smart Buy birds. Seems nobody wants to
gamble on a cheap Christmas bird! I took the remaining Steggles bird to the
checkout, and wouldn't you know it, half the barcode (including the numbers)
was gone, and they couldn't look it up on the system because a solidly frozen
turkey is a "fresh product" and not on their database. Then the bloke went
off and couldn't find the shelf tag. I should have asked them to sell it to
me for $10, but I just told them to leave it; I was getting late for the
school run. You can imagine how annoyed the people behind me in this
supposedly 'fast' queue were getting -- the shelf runner took ages!

Finally bought a 4kg organic turkey at the Woolies yesterday. It's thawed,
but I think 3-4 days in the fridge is safer than 8.

There were a whole heap of birds with some kind of pre-seasoning -- not
stuffing, something involving lots of numbers -- at Woolies. Erk!

Must remember to buy another turkey after Xmas to eat later. I love turkey,
duck and goose. Mmmm, fat...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:28:27 +1100, Chookie
> wrote:
>
>Gosh -- the local Woolies has whole birds up past 6 kg! But the American
>turkeys seem to be a lot bigger -- 20-30 lb!

<snip>
>Must remember to buy another turkey after Xmas to eat later. I love turkey,
>duck and goose. Mmmm, fat...

We're not big turkey eaters at my house, so I've been known to buy a
large turkey on sale and have the meat man slice it in half with the
band saw. I get two halves for the sale price and they repackage it
for me too.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Oh pshaw, on Fri 21 Dec 2007 09:26:40a, zxcvbob meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 20 Dec 2007 10:29:44p, Chookie meant to say...

>>> Nice in sangers with cranberry sauce.
>>>
>>> Turkey pot pie (a pie without a lower crust)
>>>
>>> In a pasta sauce.
>>>

>> A pie is not a pie without a bottom crust. It's a casserole with a top
>> crust. :-)
>>

> It's a cobbler. (now we need someone to post a recipe for "Gobbler
> Cobbler")
>
> Bob

Ask and ye shall receive. Recipe courtesy of The Food Network's Paula
Dean.

Gobbler Cobbler Pie Recipe courtesy Mike Gilmore
Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: Fridge Finds

1 package long-grain wild rice (recommended: Uncle Ben's)
1 medium onion, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 package fresh sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon oil
1 can French style green beans, drained
3 cups cooked turkey, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
2 cups grated Cheddar
1 small can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 cup sour cream
1 package preformed pie crust
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare the rice according to package instructions and set aside. Saute
onions, peppers, and mushrooms in oil and set aside.

Combine all ingredients except 1 cup of cheese and pie crust, into large
bowl and mix well. Pour into greased 9-inch glass pie plate. Top with
remaining 1 cup cheese and set aside.

Roll out pie crust, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips and cover dish in lattice
design, then brush dough lightly with egg.

Place in 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes, when top is golden brown,
remove, let cool, and enjoy.

This dish is an excellent way to use holiday turkey leftovers, plus it
freezes well.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, December 20th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2dys 7hrs 49mins 56secs
A fool and his money rarely get
together to start with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Ask and ye shall receive.

Sweet.
May I please be given five million dollars.
Thanks in advance.

--
May God protect you from his followers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Oh pshaw, on Fri 21 Dec 2007 01:17:15p, Jeßus meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Ask and ye shall receive.

> Sweet.
> May I please be given five million dollars.
> Thanks in advance.

Only if Paula Dean can write the check.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, December 20th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2dys 7hrs 49mins 56secs
A fool and his money rarely get
together to start with.

Freezing and storing cooked turkey? Phred General Cooking 8 02-01-2008 03:16 PM
freezing & storing pete Sushi 0 18-10-2007 07:55 AM
freezing & storing pete Sushi 1 18-10-2007 03:06 AM
Storing cooked pulses M Jones Vegetarian cooking 3 28-08-2007 08:44 PM
storing/freezing tomatoes [email protected] General Cooking 18 12-02-2006 11:19 AM