Steve & Chris Clark

Default beans; white

Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when "white
beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white kidney bean or
lima bean........actually it's from the blood type diet book........
thanks in advance
Chris

---

jmcquown

Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when
> "white beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white
> kidney bean or lima bean........actually it's from the blood type
> diet book........
> thanks in advance
> Chris

Great Northern Beans.

Jill

Peter Aitken

"Steve & Chris Clark" > wrote in message
> Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when "white
> beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white kidney bean

or
> lima bean........actually it's from the blood type diet book........
> thanks in advance
> Chris

I have always seen the term white bean used for either navy beans or white
northern beans.

--
Peter Aitken

jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Steve & Chris Clark" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when
>> "white beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white
>> kidney bean or lima bean........actually it's from the blood type
>> diet book........ thanks in advance
>> Chris
>>

> I have always seen the term white bean used for either navy beans or white

northern beans.

And oddly enough, there is a difference in taste between a navy bean and a
great northern bean. My father makes a wonderful navy bean soup. I've made
it both with navy beans and great northern; it's much better with the
smaller navy beans.

Jill

PENMART01

In article >, "jmcquown"
> writes:

>Peter Aitken wrote:
>> "Steve & Chris Clark" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when
>>> "white beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white
>>> kidney bean or lima bean........actually it's from the blood type
>>> diet book........ thanks in advance
>>> Chris
>>>

>> I have always seen the term white bean used for either navy beans or white

>northern beans.
>
>And oddly enough, there is a difference in taste between a navy bean and a
>great northern bean. My father makes a wonderful navy bean soup. I've made
>it both with navy beans and great northern; it's much better with the
>smaller navy beans.

Can't really go by size or taste... often packers mislabel dried white beans,
it's not really possible for the consumer to know which ones they're eating,
and often packages will contain a mixture of various white beans... and then
different crops will taste differently; soil, climate, weather, and untold
variables all contribute to size/flavor/texture. Of course this holds true with
all produce.

pea bean
The smallest of the dried white beans, the others being NAVY, GREAT NORTHERN
and MARROW BEANS (in order of ascending size). Pea beans are very popular in
the Northeast and are the first choice for BOSTON BAKED BEANS. Some producers
and packagers do not differentiate between pea beans and navy beans, so
packages identified as white beans may contain both.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Curly Sue

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:12:00 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
> wrote:

>Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when "white
>beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white kidney bean or
>lima bean........actually it's from the blood type diet book........
>thanks in advance
>Chris

What is the recipe? In Mario Batali's Italian cookbooks, "white
beans" are certainly white kidney beans (cannellini).

For Senate bean soup or Boston Baked Beans, it would be navy beans
(although I prefer Great Northern for the baked beans).

I once had some French dried white beans too...

For many things any of the white beans would do, though they might
taste somewhat different.

Sue(tm)
Steve & Chris Clark

thanks everyone......it appears that perhaps it should be the Great Northern
white bean......
not a recipe but simply food recommendations out of the Blood Type diet book
thanks for your help

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:12:00 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
> > wrote:
>
> >Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when "white
> >beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white kidney bean

or
> >lima bean........actually it's from the blood type diet book........
> >thanks in advance
> >Chris

> What is the recipe? In Mario Batali's Italian cookbooks, "white
> beans" are certainly white kidney beans (cannellini).
>
> For Senate bean soup or Boston Baked Beans, it would be navy beans
> (although I prefer Great Northern for the baked beans).
>
> I once had some French dried white beans too...
>
> For many things any of the white beans would do, though they might
> taste somewhat different.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

---

Frogleg

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:12:00 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
> wrote:

>Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when "white
>beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white kidney bean or
>lima bean........actually it's from the blood type diet book........

Beans don't have blood types. ^_^
Steve & Chris Clark

touch-eh! (no French keyboard)
thanks

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:12:00 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
> > wrote:
>
> >Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when "white
> >beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white kidney bean

or
> >lima bean........actually it's from the blood type diet book........

> Beans don't have blood types. ^_^

---