FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/139849-pepperidge-farms-cornbread-stuffing.html)

itsjoannotjoann 12-11-2007 01:53 AM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. I don't
think I'll be buying this again as I'll bake a smallish skillet of
cornbread and be assured of the results.

Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
type product?

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 12-11-2007 02:00 AM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 05:53:53p, itsjoannotjoann meant to say...

> I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
> 'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
> something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
> as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
> cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. I don't
> think I'll be buying this again as I'll bake a smallish skillet of
> cornbread and be assured of the results.
>
> Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
> type product?

Not like the way my cornbread turns out (which is substantial, not light).

When I make cornbread dressing, I bake a pan of cornbread and bake some
biscuits, both the day before I want to use them. I cut the cornbread into
wedges, then leave both breads exposed to air overnight, before making the
dressing.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

OK, I'm weird ! But I'm saving up to be eccentric.

itsjoannotjoann 12-11-2007 02:15 AM

On Nov 11, 7:00 pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Not like the way my cornbread turns out (which is substantial, not light).
>
> When I make cornbread dressing, I bake a pan of cornbread and bake some
> biscuits, both the day before I want to use them. I cut the cornbread into
> wedges, then leave both breads exposed to air overnight, before making the
> dressing.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Yeah, I normally just make a pan of cornbread and I'm a happy camper
with the way my dressing turns out. But I thought, ok I'll try the
Pepperidge Farms stuff and do the recipe as written and save some time
to boot. I won't be doing that again! Blech!

aem 12-11-2007 02:55 AM

On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
> 'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
> something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
> as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
> cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
bread?

> Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
> type product?

I don't know about Pepperidge Farms, but there are other prepared
mixes that are made from cornbread. You can tell because they are
called something like "cornbread stuffing mix." -aem

itsjoannotjoann 12-11-2007 05:45 AM

On Nov 11, 7:55 pm, aem > wrote:
> On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>
> > I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
> > 'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
> > something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
> > as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
> > cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

> What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
> the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
> bread?

Yes, it did say cornbread on the bag. I thought I would follow the
recipe to the letter and not make any changes.

itsjoannotjoann 12-11-2007 05:49 AM

On Nov 11, 8:16 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> >> I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
> >> 'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
> >> something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
> >> as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
> >> cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

> > What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
> > the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
> > bread?

> >> Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
> >> type product?

> > I don't know about Pepperidge Farms, but there are other prepared
> > mixes that are made from cornbread. You can tell because they are
> > called something like "cornbread stuffing mix." -aem

> I believe that Pepperidge Farm does make a cornbread stuffing mix. They make
> a wide variety of stuffings: white bread, wheat bread, herb, crumbs, cubes,
> cornbread, and so on.
>
> I think that the cubed herb versions are actually excellent as a base for
> stuffing cooked in a bird, but you then need to add herbs, cream, eggs,
> sherry, broth, sausage, apples or dried cherries, sauteed onion and celery
> and garlic, and so forth. None of them are of the "stovetop" variety, as far
> as I know, and it sounds as if that is what you were doing with whatever you
> purchased.

Oh gosh, I can't tolerate that ''stovetop variety mess." The recipe I
was given called for this particular ''cornbread stuffing" and as
directed I added onions, celery, low-sodium chicken broth, etc. I
just didn't care for the taste all that much but mainly the doughy
consistency. Followed the directions of how to bake it, but this will
not be a recipe I'll be making again with P. F. cornbread stuffing
mix.

Gregory Morrow[_2_] 12-11-2007 05:51 AM

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
> 'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
> something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
> as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
> cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. I don't
> think I'll be buying this again as I'll bake a smallish skillet of
> cornbread and be assured of the results.
>
> Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
> type product?

All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
easy.

--
Best
Greg

Ravenlynne 12-11-2007 08:19 AM

aem wrote:
> On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>> I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
>> 'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
>> something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
>> as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
>> cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

> What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
> the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
> bread?

And they do make a cornbread variety.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

Ravenlynne 12-11-2007 08:20 AM

Janet wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>>> I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
>>> 'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
>>> something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
>>> as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
>>> cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

>> What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
>> the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
>> bread?
>>
>>> Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
>>> type product?

>> I don't know about Pepperidge Farms, but there are other prepared
>> mixes that are made from cornbread. You can tell because they are
>> called something like "cornbread stuffing mix." -aem
>>

> I believe that Pepperidge Farm does make a cornbread stuffing mix. They make
> a wide variety of stuffings: white bread, wheat bread, herb, crumbs, cubes,
> cornbread, and so on.
>
> I think that the cubed herb versions are actually excellent as a base for
> stuffing cooked in a bird, but you then need to add herbs, cream, eggs,
> sherry, broth, sausage, apples or dried cherries, sauteed onion and celery
> and garlic, and so forth. None of them are of the "stovetop" variety, as far
> as I know, and it sounds as if that is what you were doing with whatever you
> purchased.

IMO they're a decent bread base. You HAVE to add tons of stuff to them,
but they work in a pinch if you don't have bread lying around.

Mitch Scherer 12-11-2007 09:59 AM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Oh gosh, I can't tolerate that ''stovetop variety mess." The recipe I
> was given called for this particular ''cornbread stuffing" and as
> directed I added onions, celery, low-sodium chicken broth, etc. I
> just didn't care for the taste all that much but mainly the doughy
> consistency. Followed the directions of how to bake it, but this will
> not be a recipe I'll be making again with P. F. cornbread stuffing
> mix.

I have never used Pepperidge Farms stuffing either but I enjoy many
Pepperidge Farms products. (I was disappointed when they stopped making
their excellent lobster bisque.) Unlike some other posters, I do like
stovetop stuffing. The last time I made it was with canned chicken stock
instead of water. It did fluff up a bit and was a nice quick treat. While
not as good as made from scratch but good for something that only takes a
few minutes.

Mitch

Nancy2 12-11-2007 06:04 PM

On Nov 11, 8:16 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> >> I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
> >> 'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
> >> something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
> >> as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
> >> cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

> > What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
> > the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
> > bread?

> >> Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
> >> type product?

> > I don't know about Pepperidge Farms, but there are other prepared
> > mixes that are made from cornbread. You can tell because they are
> > called something like "cornbread stuffing mix." -aem

> I believe that Pepperidge Farm does make a cornbread stuffing mix. They make
> a wide variety of stuffings: white bread, wheat bread, herb, crumbs, cubes,
> cornbread, and so on.
>
> I think that the cubed herb versions are actually excellent as a base for
> stuffing cooked in a bird, but you then need to add herbs, cream, eggs,
> sherry, broth, sausage, apples or dried cherries, sauteed onion and celery
> and garlic, and so forth. None of them are of the "stovetop" variety, as far
> as I know, and it sounds as if that is what you were doing with whatever you
> purchased.

I've never put eggs in stuffing or dressing, and don't know anyone who
does (although I saw someone on the Food Network do it). To me,
there's no reason to add them; they do nothing for the finished dish.
The same goes for apples, sausage and cream (???). We like our
dressing/stuffing without all that other stuff, although a good
sausage/apple stuffing is nice now and then for a change.

I use PF herbed croutettes for dressing and love it. I add minced
giblets that have been simmered and thoroughly cooked, diced onion and
celery, chopped fresh parsley, plenty of turkey broth from the
simmered giblets, a generous amount of real butter, and whatever herbs
I think I might like more of. It's always a winner; everyone loves
it, and it slices great for that left-over turkey/cranberry sandwich
the next day.

N.

Andy[_2_] 12-11-2007 06:15 PM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

Nancy2 said...

> On Nov 11, 8:16 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
>> "aem" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...

>> > What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
>> > the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
>> > bread?

>> > I don't know about Pepperidge Farms, but there are other prepared
>> > mixes that are made from cornbread. You can tell because they are
>> > called something like "cornbread stuffing mix." -aem

>> I believe that Pepperidge Farm does make a cornbread stuffing mix. They
>> make a wide variety of stuffings: white bread, wheat bread, herb,
>> crumbs, cubes, cornbread, and so on.
>>
>> I think that the cubed herb versions are actually excellent as a base
>> for stuffing cooked in a bird, but you then need to add herbs, cream,
>> eggs, sherry, broth, sausage, apples or dried cherries, sauteed onion
>> and celery and garlic, and so forth. None of them are of the "stovetop"
>> variety, as far as I know, and it sounds as if that is what you were
>> doing with whatever you purchased.

> I've never put eggs in stuffing or dressing, and don't know anyone who
> does (although I saw someone on the Food Network do it). To me,
> there's no reason to add them; they do nothing for the finished dish.
> The same goes for apples, sausage and cream (???). We like our
> dressing/stuffing without all that other stuff, although a good
> sausage/apple stuffing is nice now and then for a change.
>
> I use PF herbed croutettes for dressing and love it. I add minced
> giblets that have been simmered and thoroughly cooked, diced onion and
> celery, chopped fresh parsley, plenty of turkey broth from the
> simmered giblets, a generous amount of real butter, and whatever herbs
> I think I might like more of. It's always a winner; everyone loves
> it, and it slices great for that left-over turkey/cranberry sandwich
> the next day.
>
> N.

Saw this recipe on another newsgroup:

White Castle Turkey Stuffing

http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/stuf...e-turkey1.html

Probably better fresh than frozen.

Andy

itsjoannotjoann 12-11-2007 06:57 PM

On Nov 12, 11:04 am, Nancy2 > wrote:

> I've never put eggs in stuffing or dressing, and don't know anyone who
> does (although I saw someone on the Food Network do it).

Raises hand, I do add two eggs as my mom and everyone around here
does.

> To me,
> there's no reason to add them; they do nothing for the finished dish.

Probably not, but it acts like a binder.

> The same goes for apples, sausage and cream (???). We like our
> dressing/stuffing without all that other stuff, although a good
> sausage/apple stuffing is nice now and then for a change.

I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
(!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.

Nancy2 12-11-2007 09:51 PM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

> I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
> (!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
> and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
> tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.

It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

N.

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 12-11-2007 10:05 PM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

Oh pshaw, on Mon 12 Nov 2007 01:51:29p, Nancy2 meant to say...

>> I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
>> (!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
>> and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
>> tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.
>>

> It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
> leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
> won't notice they aren't there. ;-)
>
> N.

Mine's gotta have eggs!

Goomba38 12-11-2007 10:36 PM

Janet wrote:

> I think that the cubed herb versions are actually excellent as a base for
> stuffing cooked in a bird, but you then need to add herbs, cream, eggs,
> sherry, broth, sausage, apples or dried cherries, sauteed onion and celery
> and garlic, and so forth. None of them are of the "stovetop" variety, as far
> as I know, and it sounds as if that is what you were doing with whatever you
> purchased.

I don't get buying "stuffing mix" as I can cube up and season stale
bread myself. What's the point of buying it especially as you're going
to be adding so much other stuff?

I'm doing James Beard's recipe this year.

Goomba38 12-11-2007 10:40 PM

Nancy2 wrote:

> I've never put eggs in stuffing or dressing, and don't know anyone who
> does (although I saw someone on the Food Network do it). To me,
> there's no reason to add them; they do nothing for the finished dish.
> The same goes for apples, sausage and cream (???). We like our
> dressing/stuffing without all that other stuff, although a good
> sausage/apple stuffing is nice now and then for a change.

I hear ya there! I don't know why people put eggs in stuffing or
macaroni and cheese? Totally unnecessary.
I've never heard of putting cream or sherry in either, come to think of
it? I do like a bit of sausage, some apples or something at times but
otherwise just a classic bread stuffing for me, thanks.

itsjoannotjoann 13-11-2007 12:29 AM

On Nov 12, 2:51 pm, Nancy2 > wrote:

> It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
> leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
> won't notice they aren't there. ;-)
>
> N.

Leftover dressing! What's that?? :-)

Rarely was any left but it wasn't cooked to a state that it would
slice. That would be my sister-in-law's dressing. And it requires
copious amounts of gravy. :-(

Nancy Young 13-11-2007 12:58 AM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

"Nancy2" > wrote

> It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
> leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
> won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

You slice stuffing? I just spoon some out like mashed potatoes.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 13-11-2007 02:03 AM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

Oh pshaw, on Mon 12 Nov 2007 04:29:24p, itsjoannotjoann meant to say...

> On Nov 12, 2:51 pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
>>

>> It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
>> leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
>> won't notice they aren't there. ;-)
>>
>> N.
>>

> Leftover dressing! What's that?? :-)
>
> Rarely was any left but it wasn't cooked to a state that it would
> slice. That would be my sister-in-law's dressing. And it requires
> copious amounts of gravy. :-(

I put at least 1 or 2 eggs in my cornbread dressing that amply fills a 9 x
9 inch baking dish. When cold, it's firm enough to slice, otherwise, it's
soft enough to spoon out. I never stuff a bird, and I don't like regular
bread dressing.

Jack[_9_] 13-11-2007 01:31 PM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

In article . com>,
Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
> schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
> easy.
> --
> Best
> Greg

Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
oysters, cherries or funky spices.
I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.
--
Jack N2MPU
Proud NRA Life Member

Jack[_9_] 13-11-2007 01:36 PM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

In article .com>,
Nancy2 > wrote:

> > I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
> > (!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
> > and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
> > tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.
> >

> It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
> leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
> won't notice they aren't there. ;-)
>
> N.

I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
be some thick and/or stiff stuff!
--
Jack N2MPU
Proud NRA Life Member

Cindy Hamilton 13-11-2007 03:31 PM

On Nov 13, 7:36 am, Jack > wrote:

> I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
> say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
> be some thick and/or stiff stuff!

Leftovers packed into a plastic container, sliced cold the next day,
and panfried
in butter until slightly crispy. Yum.

Cindy Hamilton

Nancy2 13-11-2007 06:38 PM

On Nov 13, 6:36 am, Jack > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > > I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
> > > (!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
> > > and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
> > > tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.

> > It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
> > leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
> > won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

> > N.

> I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
> say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
> be some thick and/or stiff stuff!
> --
> Jack N2MPU
> Proud NRA Life Member

Nope, it's moist, fluffy and when served with T'giving dinner, you can
spoon it out. It has plenty of butter in it, though, along with the
broth, so if you bake it separately in a bread (loaf) pan, you can
slice it when it's been in the fridge. I'm not saying it all stays
perfectly together - but it's mostly together. It's the butter that
does it.

Eggs for binder? Just not needed...and they don't make it any more or
less sliceable anyway. JMO, of course.

N.

Nancy2 13-11-2007 06:39 PM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

On Nov 13, 8:31 am, Cindy Hamilton >
wrote:
> On Nov 13, 7:36 am, Jack > wrote:
>
> > I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
> > say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
> > be some thick and/or stiff stuff!

> Leftovers packed into a plastic container, sliced cold the next day,
> and panfried
> in butter until slightly crispy. Yum.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Oh, I never thought of that - I'll have to try it. ;-)

N.

Nancy2 13-11-2007 06:40 PM

On Nov 12, 3:36 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Janet wrote:
> > I think that the cubed herb versions are actually excellent as a base for
> > stuffing cooked in a bird, but you then need to add herbs, cream, eggs,
> > sherry, broth, sausage, apples or dried cherries, sauteed onion and celery
> > and garlic, and so forth. None of them are of the "stovetop" variety, as far
> > as I know, and it sounds as if that is what you were doing with whatever you
> > purchased.

> I don't get buying "stuffing mix" as I can cube up and season stale
> bread myself. What's the point of buying it especially as you're going
> to be adding so much other stuff?
>
> I'm doing James Beard's recipe this year.

I rarely have left over bread - when I do, it's usually part of a
French or Italian loaf, and I make garlic croutons out of it.

....or, I throw it out by my fence line for the critters ;-)

N.

Goomba38 13-11-2007 10:27 PM

Jack wrote:

> Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
> from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
> the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
> oysters, cherries or funky spices.
> I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
> brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.

What exactly did you find difficult about the process?
Seriously. Perhaps we can help you simplify it if we knew what the
problem you were having was?

Goomba38 13-11-2007 10:32 PM

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Nov 13, 8:31 am, Cindy Hamilton >
> wrote:
>> On Nov 13, 7:36 am, Jack > wrote:
>>
>>> I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
>>> say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
>>> be some thick and/or stiff stuff!

>> Leftovers packed into a plastic container, sliced cold the next day,
>> and panfried
>> in butter until slightly crispy. Yum.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Oh, I never thought of that - I'll have to try it. ;-)
>
> N.

The most unusual use for leftover stuffing/dressing I ever witnessed-
the weekend after TG a church I belonged to was in charge of the cooking
down at the soup kitchen. The woman in charge made a huge vat of soup
from scratch but also added leftover stuffing, gravy and vegetables to
the soup and it worked. Perhaps that it was such a huge batch and the
leftovers didn't amount to such a high proportion helped?

Goomba38 13-11-2007 10:33 PM

Nancy2 wrote:

>> I'm doing James Beard's recipe this year.

> I rarely have left over bread - when I do, it's usually part of a
> French or Italian loaf, and I make garlic croutons out of it.
>
> ...or, I throw it out by my fence line for the critters ;-)
>
> N.

No no.. I don't usually have stale bread sitting around. I usually buy
the bread, cube it, and let it get stale the day before TG for use in
the stuffing/dressing.

Bobo Bonobo® 13-11-2007 10:37 PM

On Nov 13, 6:31 am, Jack > wrote:
> In article . com>,
> Gregory Morrow > wrote:
>

> > All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
> > schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
> > easy.
> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
> from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
> the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
> oysters, cherries or funky spices.
> I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
> brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.

That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
crap.
It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
too stupid to know the difference.

> --
> Jack N2MPU
> Proud NRA Life Member

--Bryan

Boron Elgar[_1_] 13-11-2007 11:11 PM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® >
wrote:

>On Nov 13, 6:31 am, Jack > wrote:
>> In article . com>,
>> Gregory Morrow > wrote:
>>

>> > All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
>> > schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
>> > easy.
>> > --
>> > Best
>> > Greg

>> Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
>> from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
>> the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
>> oysters, cherries or funky spices.
>> I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
>> brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.

>That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
>crap.
>It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
>too stupid to know the difference.
>
>> --
>> Jack N2MPU
>> Proud NRA Life Member

>--Bryan

It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below

Amount Per Serving
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2.5g 4%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 460mg 19%
Potassium 1mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
Sugars 2g
Protein 3g

Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%

None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
info at link below.
http://www.campbellwellness.com/prod...34& catID=341

Now, what was that about someone being stupid?

Boron

Sarah Gray 14-11-2007 06:04 AM

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® >
> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 13, 6:31 am, Jack > wrote:

>>> Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
>>> from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
>>> the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
>>> oysters, cherries or funky spices.
>>> I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
>>> brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.

>> That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
>> crap.
>> It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
>> too stupid to know the difference.
>>
>>> --
>>> Jack N2MPU
>>> Proud NRA Life Member

>> --Bryan

> It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
> nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
> transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below
>

> Amount Per Serving
> Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
> % Daily Value*
> Total Fat 2.5g 4%
> Saturated Fat 0g 0%
> Trans Fat 0g
> Cholesterol 0mg 0%
> Sodium 460mg 19%
> Potassium 1mg 0%
>
> Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
> Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
> Sugars 2g
> Protein 3g
>
> Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
> Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%
>
> None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
> info at link below.
> http://www.campbellwellness.com/prod...34& catID=341
>

> Now, what was that about someone being stupid?
>
> Boron

um, uh. transfats are bad!

--

Sarah Gray

Boron Elgar[_1_] 14-11-2007 01:05 PM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 00:04:56 -0500, Sarah Gray
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:

>> Boron
>>

>um, uh. transfats are bad!
>
> >:)

And did I say they were good?

boron

Ravenlynne 14-11-2007 02:07 PM

Sarah Gray wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>
>> Notice that they didn't put INGREDIENTS on their website.
>> They don't want you to see, "Partially hydrogenated..."
>>> um, uh. transfats are bad!

>> And there in no excuse for putting it in your products.
>>>

> So don't buy them.

Simple solution, isn't it?

Sarah Gray 14-11-2007 02:07 PM

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 00:04:56 -0500, Sarah Gray
> > wrote:
>
>> Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> Boron
>>>

>> um, uh. transfats are bad!
>>
>>> :)

> And did I say they were good?
>
> boron

I was trying to be funny. I should probably go to bed earlier :)

--

Sarah Gray

Bobo Bonobo® 14-11-2007 02:26 PM

On Nov 13, 4:11 pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® >
> wrote:
>

> >On Nov 13, 6:31 am, Jack > wrote:

> >> Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
> >> from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
> >> the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
> >> oysters, cherries or funky spices.
> >> I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
> >> brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.

> >That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
> >crap.
> >It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
> >too stupid to know the difference.

> >> --
> >> Jack N2MPU
> >> Proud NRA Life Member

> >--Bryan

> It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
> nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
> transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below
>
> Amount Per Serving
> Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
> % Daily Value*
> Total Fat 2.5g 4%
> Saturated Fat 0g 0%
> Trans Fat 0g
> Cholesterol 0mg 0%
> Sodium 460mg 19%
> Potassium 1mg 0%
>
> Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
> Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
> Sugars 2g
> Protein 3g
>
> Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
> Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%
>
> None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
> info at link below.http://www.campbellwellness.com/prod...atID=743&brand...
>
> Now, what was that about someone being stupid?

Just because the fascist US govt. allows them to put 0g trans fat on
the label, doesn't mean that it has none, just <0.5g per serving.
Read the actual INGREDIENTS:

Ingredients
Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin
Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean
and/or Cottonseed Oil, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Contains Less
than 2% of Spice, Yeast Parsley (Dried), Cooked Chicken and Chicken
Broth, Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein, Celery (Dried), Monosodium
Glutamate, Soy Flour, Onions (Dried), Sugar, Whey (From Milk), Corn
Syrup (Dried), Garlic (Dried), Caramel Color, Turmeric disodium
Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Sulfites (Preservative), Corn Oil, BHA
and BHT as Preservatives, Natural Flavor.
source -- http://www.amazon.com/Stove-Top-Stuf.../dp/B000FKEWYA

Ingredients
Monosodium Glutamate, Parsley (Dried), Whey (from Milk), Corn Syrup
(Dried), Spice, Sugar, Caramel Color, Turmeric, Disodium Guanylate,
Disodium Inosinate, Sulfites (Preservative), Corn Oil, BHA and BHT as
Preservatives, Natural Flavor. Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour,
Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid),
Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oils, High Fructose
Corn Syrup, Salt, Contains Less than 2% of Cooked Chicken and Chicken
Broth, Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein, Yeast, Celery (Dried), Onion
(Dried), Soy Flour
source - http://www.amazon.com/Stove-Top-Stuf.../dp/B000FK9LLY

NOTICE that on Kraft's OWN website, they don't list the ingredients>
http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/prod...product&id=811
They've made a fool out of you.

I didn't spend too much time on looking for the Pep Farms, but look at
their standards by what's in this other product:
http://www.campbellwellness.com/prod...93 &catID=378
In fact, the only stuffing mix I've ever seen that didn't have crap in
it came from Whole Foods. I think the brand was Chatham House.

> Boron

--Bryan

Bobo Bonobo® 14-11-2007 02:32 PM

On Nov 13, 11:04 pm, Sarah Gray > wrote:
> Boron Elgar wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® >
> > wrote:

> >> That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
> >> crap.
> >> It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
> >> too stupid to know the difference.

> >> --Bryan

> > It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
> > nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
> > transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below

> > Amount Per Serving
> > Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
> > % Daily Value*
> > Total Fat 2.5g 4%
> > Saturated Fat 0g 0%
> > Trans Fat 0g
> > Cholesterol 0mg 0%
> > Sodium 460mg 19%
> > Potassium 1mg 0%

> > Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
> > Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
> > Sugars 2g
> > Protein 3g

> > Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
> > Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%

> > None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
> > info at link below.
> >http://www.campbellwellness.com/prod...atID=743&brand....

Notice that they didn't put INGREDIENTS on their website.
They don't want you to see, "Partially hydrogenated..."

> > Now, what was that about someone being stupid?

> > Boron

> um, uh. transfats are bad!

And there in no excuse for putting it in your products.

> >:)

> --
>
> Sarah Gray

--Bryan

Andy[_2_] 14-11-2007 02:35 PM

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> Just because the fascist US govt. allows them to put 0g trans fat on
> the label, doesn't mean that it has none, just <0.5g per serving.
> Read the actual INGREDIENTS:

> Ingredients
> Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil,
> High Fructose Corn Syrup
> Monosodium Glutamate,
> BHA and BHT as Preservatives

> Ingredients
> Monosodium Glutamate
> BHA and BHT as Preservatives
> Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oils
> High Fructose Corn Syrup

It's processed food. What do you expect, good health?

Andy

Sarah Gray 14-11-2007 02:42 PM

Bobo Bonobo® 14-11-2007 03:05 PM

On Nov 14, 7:42 am, Sarah Gray > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> > Notice that they didn't put INGREDIENTS on their website.
> > They don't want you to see, "Partially hydrogenated..."
> >> um, uh. transfats are bad!

> > And there in no excuse for putting it in your products.

> So don't buy them.

I don't. I bet you don't either.

> --
>
> Sarah Gray