JaKe

Default Jamie's Kitchen

Only thing I can say is -- Jamie is not facing reality -- these kids are
not cooks -- even after be "trained". I think he really needs to do a
more thorough selection process -- the tasting test in the first episode
was pretty stupid. Seems like he'll hopefully re-think this thing next
time.

Anyone watching this miniseries?

--
JaKe, Seattle
"Smooth jazz is elevator music"
cristina

JaKe wrote:
> Only thing I can say is -- Jamie is not facing reality -- these kids
> are not cooks -- even after be "trained". I think he really needs to
> do a more thorough selection process -- the tasting test in the first
> episode was pretty stupid. Seems like he'll hopefully re-think this
> thing next time.
>
> Anyone watching this miniseries?

Yes I have watched the whole series as well as the followup 6 month later.
He wasn't looking for cooks. He wanted people who needed to work. He
trained them and most of them have completed their courses, graduated and
gone on to work at some very notable restaurants (Chez Panisse and French
Laundry just to name 2).

I think Jamie faced reality quite well. He is one of the few people out
their who have made it and are giving back something huge in return.

Cristina

Nancy Young

JaKe wrote:

> Only thing I can say is -- Jamie is not facing reality -- these kids are
> not cooks -- even after be "trained". I think he really needs to do a
> more thorough selection process -- the tasting test in the first episode
> was pretty stupid. Seems like he'll hopefully re-think this thing next
> time.
>
> Anyone watching this miniseries?

I'm thinking they were expecting too much from kids who seem slow,
in a few cases. Others just seem flat out lazy.

nancy
Herself

cristina > wrote:

> Yes I have watched the whole series as well as the followup 6 month later.
> He wasn't looking for cooks. He wanted people who needed to work. He
> trained them and most of them have completed their courses, graduated and
> gone on to work at some very notable restaurants (Chez Panisse and French
> Laundry just to name 2).

Seeing that two of them went to CP and FL stunned me. Not in a bad way,
it's great that they went on to great places, and hopefully to do good
things. I can't wait to see if the second group turns out like the
first...

> I think Jamie faced reality quite well. He is one of the few people out
> their who have made it and are giving back something huge in return.

Seriously. He's put a lot at stake for Fifteen, and thankfully, he's
getting some rewards. A course, I sure don't look at him the same. But
I totally respect him for what he's doing.
--
'Tis Herself
Rhonda Anderson

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> JaKe wrote:
>>
>> Only thing I can say is -- Jamie is not facing reality -- these kids are
>> not cooks -- even after be "trained". I think he really needs to do a
>> more thorough selection process -- the tasting test in the first episode
>> was pretty stupid. Seems like he'll hopefully re-think this thing next
>> time.
>>
>> Anyone watching this miniseries?

> I'm thinking they were expecting too much from kids who seem slow,
> in a few cases. Others just seem flat out lazy.

I thought he was really expecting, and asking, quite a lot. He selected
people who "needed a break" - unemployed for various reasons, perhaps
"problem" students/employees, and then required them to undertake
accelerated training. He mentioned a few times during the series things
like - "I was in the kitchen a year before I was even allowed to do such
and such" - things the kids in the series were being expected to do after a
couple of months.

Yep - some were flat out lazy, and some are probably just not suited to
this career, but some turned out quite well - going by the results shown in
the follow up shows some months later. He's doing it again, so obviously he
found it worthwhile.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Penrith, NSW, Australia

cristina

Nancy Young wrote:
> JaKe wrote:
>>
>> Only thing I can say is -- Jamie is not facing reality -- these kids
>> are not cooks -- even after be "trained". I think he really needs
>> to do a more thorough selection process -- the tasting test in the
>> first episode was pretty stupid. Seems like he'll hopefully
>> re-think this thing next time.
>>
>> Anyone watching this miniseries?

> I'm thinking they were expecting too much from kids who seem slow,
> in a few cases. Others just seem flat out lazy.

Classic youth of today IMO. Want everything for nothing.

Cristina

cristina

Herself wrote:
> Seriously. He's put a lot at stake for Fifteen, and thankfully, he's
> getting some rewards. A course, I sure don't look at him the same.
> But
> I totally respect him for what he's doing.

I love how the view of him by the public has changed since the show came
out. People may not like the way he talks or his hair or the camera work
but everyone that I have talked to who hated him before changed their minds
after this series. Total respect.

Cristina

Nancy Young

cristina wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > I'm thinking they were expecting too much from kids who seem slow,
> > in a few cases. Others just seem flat out lazy.

> Classic youth of today IMO. Want everything for nothing.

Perhaps because of the business I was in, I've met all kinds. Yup,
some seemed astonished that they would have to work for a living,
others worked their butt off. Can't say that was any different
from people my age and older, though. Just my observation.

nancy
Goomba

JaKe wrote:

> Only thing I can say is -- Jamie is not facing reality -- these kids are
> not cooks -- even after be "trained". I think he really needs to do a
> more thorough selection process -- the tasting test in the first episode
> was pretty stupid. Seems like he'll hopefully re-think this thing next
> time.
>
> Anyone watching this miniseries?

I am. And I have to say while the student are all annoying pills, my
respect for Jamie has gone up immeasurably. He's quite the mature
professional it seems. I had a totally different idea of him from his
other shows. I only wish he'd sack Michelle and that fat blond chick
(can't recall her name) and get it over with. They have let them get
away with such atrocious bad work habits that it's shocking. If they
don't show up, they ought to be outta there!
Goomba
Goomba

cristina wrote:

> I love how the view of him by the public has changed since the show came
> out. People may not like the way he talks or his hair or the camera work
> but everyone that I have talked to who hated him before changed their minds
> after this series. Total respect.
>
> Cristina

YES!! I just posted about this same sentiment. I never saw such a
professional side of him, but also a very caring, concerned side for
these kids (slugs, some) futures. The headaches he must have
experienced. Now, it seems many here know the ending already-did I miss
something? Is there some website or information about the final results?
Goomba

JaKe

Herself wrote:

> cristina > wrote:
>
> > Yes I have watched the whole series as well as the followup 6 month later.
> > He wasn't looking for cooks. He wanted people who needed to work. He
> > trained them and most of them have completed their courses, graduated and
> > gone on to work at some very notable restaurants (Chez Panisse and French
> > Laundry just to name 2).

> Seeing that two of them went to CP and FL stunned me. Not in a bad way,
> it's great that they went on to great places, and hopefully to do good
> things. I can't wait to see if the second group turns out like the
> first...
>
> > I think Jamie faced reality quite well. He is one of the few people out
> > their who have made it and are giving back something huge in return.

> Seriously. He's put a lot at stake for Fifteen, and thankfully, he's
> getting some rewards. A course, I sure don't look at him the same. But
> I totally respect him for what he's doing.
> --
> 'Tis Herself

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with what he's doing too!

--
JaKe, Seattle
"Smooth jazz is elevator music"
Drummer Joe Chambers
Jimmy Tango

"JaKe" > wrote in message
> Only thing I can say is -- Jamie is not facing reality -- these kids are
> not cooks -- even after be "trained". I think he really needs to do a
> more thorough selection process -- the tasting test in the first episode
> was pretty stupid. Seems like he'll hopefully re-think this thing next
> time.
>
> Anyone watching this miniseries?

Yes, I've been enjoying watching it, although I do agree that he could have
been a lot more rigorous in his screening process. He has a handful of
immature kids trying to get away with doing nothing in the kitchen, and a
mess on his hands, I'm afraid.

Herself

Goomba > wrote:

> YES!! I just posted about this same sentiment. I never saw such a
> professional side of him, but also a very caring, concerned side for
> these kids (slugs, some) futures. The headaches he must have
> experienced. Now, it seems many here know the ending already-did I miss
> something? Is there some website or information about the final results?

No, it already aired in the UK/Ireland. We've seen the 6-months-later
show (two weeks ago, I think?). So we know the nitty-gritty :-). You
could probably look it up on the Channel 4 website. (www.channel4.com)

--
'Tis Herself
Herself

JaKe > wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with what he's doing too!

yeah, but you said they weren't cooks :-). that's what we were
responding to. The ones who did the whole thing turned out pretty good.
And it's almost impossible to get a booking at Fifteen (we tried!!)
--
'Tis Herself
Herself

Jimmy Tango > wrote:

> Yes, I've been enjoying watching it, although I do agree that he could have
> been a lot more rigorous in his screening process. He has a handful of
> immature kids trying to get away with doing nothing in the kitchen, and a
> mess on his hands, I'm afraid.

He couldn't be much more rigorous...he'd have no one :-).
--
'Tis Herself

Miche

In article >,
JaKe > wrote:

> Only thing I can say is -- Jamie is not facing reality -- these kids are
> not cooks -- even after be "trained". I think he really needs to do a
> more thorough selection process -- the tasting test in the first episode
> was pretty stupid. Seems like he'll hopefully re-think this thing next
> time.
>
> Anyone watching this miniseries?

Yeah, I did. And stick with it -- they get a _lot_ better.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Amberinauburn

>They have let them get
>away with such atrocious bad work habits that it's shocking. If they
>don't show up, they ought to be outta there!

I work in a cafeteria and atrocious work habits seem to be the norm. They
recently hired one young guy (He's 28) He said he had worked here and there and
so forth and had tons or work experience. BTW they never checked his or anyone
else's references. We have rules but you would never know it by his work
habits.
For example, everyone has to wear a clean white shirt to work, if it's
short sleeved that's fine, if it's long sleeved that fine too BUT you have to
leave the sleeves down while you work the Boss thinks it tacky to have someone
work there with sleeves rolled up. The guy rolled up his sleeves and no one
said anything to him. Then there was the thing about him handing over a piece
of fried food to anyone who inquired about it. We serve fried zucchini, fried
cauliflower and fried eggplant. He would causally hand over a piece of whatever
we were serving to anyone who asked, " What's that?"
Also behind the line we have a phone. People call in take out orders to be
delivered (our store is in a mall we deliver to any store in the mall). He uses
that phone likes it's his own. One night after work he made 5 phone calls one
after the other and stayed on the phone for 15 minutes. When they told him he
had to get off the phone he said he was just trying to find a ride home.
Also 3 times since he started the cab company has sent a cab out and no one
knows who called for it. He calls and then if he gets a better offer he leaves
and we get stuck telling the poor cab guy. No one here wants the cab. The cab
company is going to stop taking calls from the mall if this keeps up.
Also on a personal note he flirted with some little girl and she bought
him a bunch of clothes. Maxed out her credit card and now he won't talk to her
or take her calls. One of the men who works there knows her and is furious
about it but this guy thinks he did nothing wrong. He told one little girl who
works there he would drive her home and then left her. She had to wait an hour
for someone else to give her a ride. She doesn't have a car and has braces on
her legs. It's not his responsibility to drive her but don't offer and then
split.
Also he is a One -Hit -wonder meaning he can only do one thing. He can
serve vegetables. They asked him to relieve someone one night so they could go
on break and he did such a poor job they don't ask him anymore. I heard him
telling someone that the best way not to get moved around is to do things badly
so they won't move you.
I feel the guy is a user, a con man and an all around no good bum who
will lie his way through life as long as it gets him ahead of others. Maybe he
feels life is a game and he is just scamming his way through the game. Lazy
no-count clod of wasted humanity.

Amber
( Guess you can tell I don't like this guy)

BillKirch

> People may not like the way he talks

############
He has a MAJOR speech impediment. BG
BillKirch

>I feel the guy is a user, a con man and an all around no good bum who
>will lie his way through life as long as it gets him ahead of others.

#############
In other words...an ASSHOLE. BG
Lucas

(SportKite1) said in the newsgroup.......
:

>>From: Lucas

>>It was revealed, here in
>>Brisbane, by another chef

> What chef is that?

Oops :-)
Michael Lambie, he came to Oz and stayed, but has a friend who works for JO.

(The statement is about halfway down the page)

Courier Mail
Edition 1 - First with the newsWED 15 OCT 2003, Page 017
Hard work recipe for success
By Mike O'Connor

STEVE Szabo's a pork belly man and he's lamenting the demise of the humble
pig from restaurant menus. ``No one really puts pork on the menu any more. I
think it's a great meat. People think it's fatty. It must be a health
thing.''
As the executive chef of one of the highest-profile restaurants in Australia,
he is well placed to offer an opinion on food and, it must be said, Szabo has
the build of a man who believes in indulging, as well as voicing, his
passions.
``You rub it in spices and wrap it in Glad Wrap. I'm serving it with Moreton
Bay bug and risotto,'' he beams.
The restaurant is Vanitas, the signature dining room at the five-star Palazzo
Versace hotel on the Gold Coast, and on this night Szabo and two of the
country's other well-known chefs, Philip Johnson of Brisbane's e'cco
restaurant and Michael Lambie of Melbourne's Circa, are elbow-to-shoulder in
the kitchen for a special gourmet event.
Szabo is a Londoner, and looks like a chef. He could not, in fact, be
anything else, so perfectly is he fitted to the role, an earthy nature and
robust humour at odds with the aroma of new money that wafts through the
lobby with every arriving guest.
``Just get on with it and try and do your best, that's what I do. When I
leave here every day I'm happy as long as I've done my best, you know, and
******** to everyone else. Know what I mean?'' he says.
I tell him that I know exactly what he means and have been known to cry
``********!'' in the course of my working day myself.
``We just do the job right every night. I've got the right staff and it's
good not just for the Gold Coast but for the whole of Australia. I don't use
any cheap produce, only the best you can get.
``There's such a variety of produce in Australia now it's actually quite
easy, especially over the last five or six years. I think people are starting
to appreciate good food a lot more. I think Australia is powering ahead in
leaps and bounds and the growers are taking a lot more pride.
``You go to a restaurant and you're going to be putting that stuff in your
belly, so you might as well eat as best you can, or as good as you can
afford.''
I ask if he has ever run his own restaurant and he replies forcefully: ``I've
been there, done that. The government makes it too hard these days, know what
I mean? By the time you pay super, wages, rent, public liability . . .
``They're all keen guys,'' he says, nodding towards the kitchen. ``And I look
after them the best I can, make sure they get their two days off and that
they have a little bit of a life as well, but I've no time for people who
just want to be here and plod along,'' he says as he hoists himself to his
feet, shakes hands and heads off to tend to his pork bellies.
********
Lambie has a friend who works for Jamie Oliver in London and who tells him
that for the past five years the television chef has been making the
equivalent of about $40 million a year.
********
Lambie, another Londoner, came to Australia for three months and never left.
He works in Melbourne where he runs his own restaurant Circa, which he is
quick to point out opened before the Brisbane establishment of the same name.
I ask him his opinion of the ever-smiling Oliver and he answers with a half-
smile.
``I have to respect these people that have been so successful through the
media and basically that's what it is, but Jamie couldn't walk into my
kitchen and run it. That's just on a different level.''
As we sit in the classically colonnaded foyer of the Palazzo, the afternoon
sun glinting off the aqua blue of the pool through the glass walls, he takes
in his surrounds.
``I'm quite excited to be cooking here. Vanitas is supposed to be the best
restaurant around. It's bloody expensive. It's more expensive than
Melbourne,'' he says as he leaves to create the pannacotta he is preparing
for dessert that evening.
Philip Johnson leaves his saddle of rabbit with rosemary butter and risotto
to join me for a latte.
``You've really got to braise the legs properly,'' he says. ``You've got to
know how to treat rabbit. It's like duck,'' he says as I nod knowingly,
though I have no idea how to treat a rabbit or a duck.
``Signature restaurants like Vanitas are hard to make really successful,'' he
says. ``When you land in a city, you don't actually think about the
restaurant in the hotel where you are staying. You go to the concierge and
say, `Where's good to eat?' He says, `Our restaurant' and you say, `Yeah,
yeah. Where else?' ''
One of Australia's best-known chefs, Johnson has pushed e'cco to the top of
Brisbane's dining pile.
``We've been there eight years and hopefully we've done the groundwork, where
you're consistent. But I never take it as a given because there are places
being built all the time and you're always competing with someone who has
spent an awful lot of money setting a place up,'' he says.
``I think the secret is consistency. If you don't give people what they want
time and time again, they'll soon start moving around. But if they think it
will be as good as it was last time, you'll get them back.
``Certainly it's a tough industry because you are under the spotlight. There
are not too many industries which are critiqued as much as ours. I always
make the analogy, and I'm probably wrong, but if you get a dodgy plumbing job
you tell me and I tell someone else, but it doesn't go too far.
``But someone writing in The Courier-Mail could tell several hundred thousand
people. One bad night and you're all out the window.''
He has seen some restaurants prosper and others rise and then sink without
trace, and is critical of the awards culture which pervades the industry.
``People win awards and that's great, but you can never assume that it's
going to make you. You can't afford to fall into that trap. Quite frankly,
you're much better off just having a busy restaurant without the awards.
``I think our industry gets caught up in it -- they want their name in
lights. People want to make their mark, which is fair enough, but you can
become obsessed with awards.
``I put an awful lot of effort into my cookbooks. If they've seen your book,
it's a huge plus. For me, that's the big picture. You can actually make a
restaurant big in your own city, but to take it nationally is a whole new
game and you need those people who travel. When they land, you want them
eating with you,'' he says with quiet conviction.
That evening, I ate in Vanitas. Szabo was right. The humble pig is a much
underrated animal. More power to his pork belly.
Mike O'Connor's The Interview appears every Wednesday

--
Peter Lucas # Loyalty above all else, #
Brisbane # except honour. #
Herself

BillKirch > wrote:

> > People may not like the way he talks

> ############
> He has a MAJOR speech impediment. BG

A minor lisp? Or the fact that he's British?
--
'Tis Herself
Default User

Lucas wrote:

> > Ah...the old friend of a friend confirmation. Then for sure it's true.

> You know for a fact it's not?

It's incumbent upon the person making the statement to provide
reasonable verification, not for others to disprove it. What is the
supposed source this $40 million? Book sales? His TV show? Seems highly
unlikely.

Brian Rodenborn
The Wolf

On 10/20/03 2:54 PM, in article ,
"Craig Welch" > opined:

(Herself) wrote:

>>> He doesn't lisp at all.

>> He has a slight lisp...trust me. I watch quite intently :-).

> You can't determine a lisp from watching, no matter how intently.
>
> You determine a list by *listening*. He has an unusual, minor speech
> affliction. He does *not* lisp.

I'm sorry Craig what medical school did you graduate from again?

Actually I owe you an apology, I earlier stated he was a bigger **** than
Martha Stewart. After seeing him on Letterman, he ain't so bad, I take that
back. Although I would never eat in one of his restaurants because I don't
care for bland cuisine.

Martha IS the biggest **** and I hope she does some time in the Gray Bar
Hotel "If" you know what I mean.

If she wasn't famous the matter of her lying to prosecutors would have not
gone anywhere. You see, in the U.S. The justice system likes to make an
example out of the rich and famous once in a while just to keep the rest of
us in line.
"When a broad table is to be made, and the edges of planks do not fit, the
artist takes a little from both, and makes a good joint. In like manner
here, both sides must part with some of their demands," Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

LIMEYNO1

It sounds more like he's tongue tied and has a speach impediment. I think
he has really done great with such a handicap.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/205/145
"Herself" > wrote in message
> Craig Welch > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:44:23 +0100, (Herself) wrote:
> > >A minor lisp? Or the fact that he's British?

> > He doesn't lisp at all.

> He has a slight lisp...trust me. I watch quite intently :-).
> --
> 'Tis Herself

Miche

In article >,
"LIMEYNO1" > wrote:

> It sounds more like he's tongue tied and has a speach impediment. I think
> he has really done great with such a handicap.

It's not that big a handicap.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

LIMEYNO1

Not physically, but to have a tv show? How many others do you know of on tv
with a speach impediment?

--

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "LIMEYNO1" > wrote:
>
> > It sounds more like he's tongue tied and has a speach impediment. I

think
> > he has really done great with such a handicap.

> It's not that big a handicap.
>
> Miche
>
> --
> If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
> -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Herself

LIMEYNO1 > wrote:

> Not physically, but to have a tv show? How many others do you know of on tv
> with a speach impediment?

But don't forget, they got him because of his cooking ability and how he
is in front of the camera. And he's huge in the UK.

And for another who has a speech impediment...Marlee Matlin. Gots her
an Oscar, I think. (She's been on the West Wing, so that counts.
Neener)
--
'Tis Herself
SportKite1

>From: Default User

>It's incumbent upon the person making the statement to provide
>reasonable verification, not for others to disprove it.

Thank you. That's what I thought as well.

> What is the
>supposed source this $40 million? Book sales? His TV show? Seems highly
>unlikely.

Did a quick Google and from what I've read, my best guess is that the bulk of
his personal fortune, at least in the past year or two is due to his
endorsements for Sainsbury's. They state that his participation has been
responsible for 20% of their profits. The balance is most likely from his
television shows & their distribution worldwide; books and personal
appearances.

Ellen

sf

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:45:17 -0400, "LIMEYNO1"
> wrote:

> Not physically, but to have a tv show?

Why should it keep him off tv? He has a slight lisp... so
what?

> How many others do you know of on tv
> with a speach impediment?

I can't name names, because I'm not bothered by that sort of
thing. However if you watch enough tv or listen to the
radio enough, you'll find there are quite a few people who
can't produce certain speech sounds correctly.