Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you put sauce on BBQ brisket?

I've never even had BBQ brisket, but I've got a 7 pound flat cut that
I'm making this weekend. I was going to use the recipe from Cook's
Illustrated.

It's brined, then a simple rub of salt, pepper and sugar.
Then smokes in the grill for 3 hours, then finishes in the oven for 1
1/2 hours.

There's no sauce, I just wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be
that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Mitch@...> wrote in message
> I've never even had BBQ brisket, but I've got a 7 pound flat cut that
> I'm making this weekend. I was going to use the recipe from Cook's
> Illustrated.
>
> It's brined, then a simple rub of salt, pepper and sugar.
> Then smokes in the grill for 3 hours, then finishes in the oven for 1
> 1/2 hours.
>
> There's no sauce, I just wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be
> that way.

I don't, but this place does, and they're famous for it:
http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

The place is packed every night of the week.

Make it however you want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hey thanks for the quick reply.
I just wasn't sure if there was an "authentic Texas BBQ brisket," and
if so, is it covered in sauce or just a rub.

Maybe after I slice it, I'll put sauce on half.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Mitch@...> wrote in message
> Hey thanks for the quick reply.
> I just wasn't sure if there was an "authentic Texas BBQ brisket," and
> if so, is it covered in sauce or just a rub.
>
> Maybe after I slice it, I'll put sauce on half.

Nothing is authentic. It's whatever you make it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Mitch@...> wrote in message
> I've never even had BBQ brisket, but I've got a 7 pound flat cut that
> I'm making this weekend. I was going to use the recipe from Cook's
> Illustrated.
>
> It's brined, then a simple rub of salt, pepper and sugar.
> Then smokes in the grill for 3 hours, then finishes in the oven for 1
> 1/2 hours.
>
> There's no sauce, I just wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be
> that way.

Au jus. No sauce!

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch@... wrote:
> I've never even had BBQ brisket, but I've got a 7 pound flat cut that
> I'm making this weekend. I was going to use the recipe from Cook's
> Illustrated.
>
> It's brined, then a simple rub of salt, pepper and sugar.
> Then smokes in the grill for 3 hours, then finishes in the oven for 1
> 1/2 hours.
>
> There's no sauce, I just wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be
> that way.

It's supposed to be however you like it! If you want sauce, simmer some
and serve it on the side.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Mitch@...> wrote in message
> I've never even had BBQ brisket, but I've got a 7 pound flat cut that
> I'm making this weekend. I was going to use the recipe from Cook's
> Illustrated.
>
> It's brined, then a simple rub of salt, pepper and sugar.
> Then smokes in the grill for 3 hours, then finishes in the oven for 1
> 1/2 hours.
>
> There's no sauce, I just wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be
> that way.

Done right, no sauce is needed. Sometimes I'll put some on a sandwich,
never on the meat as it cooks though. I also like it cold on a sandwich
with mayo and horseradish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch@... wrote:
> I've never even had BBQ brisket, but I've got a 7 pound flat cut that
> I'm making this weekend. I was going to use the recipe from Cook's
> Illustrated.
>
> It's brined, then a simple rub of salt, pepper and sugar.
> Then smokes in the grill for 3 hours, then finishes in the oven for 1
> 1/2 hours.
>
> There's no sauce, I just wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be
> that way.

I like a little sauce with it; mostly to dunk the bread in (squishy
white bread.) No sauce on the meat unless you want to add some at the
table.

You're doing it OK, but it may not be tender yet after only 4 1/2 hours
of cooking. Usually, whole untrimmed briskets are smoked for at least
12 hours. But I've finished them in an electric roaster occasionally.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch@... wrote:
> I've never even had BBQ brisket, but I've got a 7 pound flat cut that
> I'm making this weekend. I was going to use the recipe from Cook's
> Illustrated.
>
> It's brined, then a simple rub of salt, pepper and sugar.
> Then smokes in the grill for 3 hours, then finishes in the oven for 1
> 1/2 hours.
>
> There's no sauce, I just wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be
> that way.

Just like steak...if it's cook right then you don't need it, if
not...well...pass me the steak sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 8:48 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Mitch@... wrote:
> > I've never even had BBQ brisket, but I've got a 7 pound flat cut that
> > I'm making this weekend. I was going to use the recipe from Cook's
> > Illustrated.

> > It's brined, then a simple rub of salt, pepper and sugar.
> > Then smokes in the grill for 3 hours, then finishes in the oven for 1
> > 1/2 hours.

> > There's no sauce, I just wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be
> > that way.

> I like a little sauce with it; mostly to dunk the bread in (squishy
> white bread.) No sauce on the meat unless you want to add some at the
> table.
>
> You're doing it OK, but it may not be tender yet after only 4 1/2 hours
> of cooking. Usually, whole untrimmed briskets are smoked for at least
> 12 hours. But I've finished them in an electric roaster occasionally.
>
> Bob

To me, it's not BBQ if there's no BBQ sauce on it. Remember, the term
BBQ or barbeque is used both for the sauce and the grilling process,
but only because most people associate barbequeing with the grill.
Cooking on a grill is properly called "grilling", not barbequeing. Of
course, none of this should be taken too seriously. But I have trouble
with calling something cooked with a rub "barbeque", no matter how
tasty it may be.

Years ago, I had some of the best barbeque in the world several times
at a restaurant in Karnes City, TX called "Smoliks" (sp?). People came
from miles away (I came several times from San Antonio, 70 miles away)
just to eat there. And it was only open for lunch! He was written up
in "Great Chefs of the Southwest" and they did a PBS special on him
and others. The place was basically a butcher shop in an old Quonset
hut (how many of you know that that is?) with a "restaurant" in the
back. The floor was concrete, the tables were old wooden picnic
tables, and they served your brisket or sausage (the only meats they
served) on a piece of butcher paper. You bought it by the pound. At
the back, where they served you, were bowls of sliced onions, jalpeno
peppers, next to the restaurant silverware holders where you grabbed
your silverware to take back to your picnic table. Oh yes, and all the
Wonder Bread you could eat! (The only time I enjoyed Wonder Bread
since I was a kid). And the barbeque was served "Texas Style", which
means on the side, in this case, in a cardboard container like a lot
of restaurants use to serve French Fries. If you'd called the brisket
"barbeque" at Smoliks, they'd have laughed you out the door. Barbeque
is the sauce served with the meat. Other places, of course, the
barbeque is already put on the meat, often mistakenly put on the meat
before cooking, which is almost a guarantee that it will be burned.

Sorry about the reiminiscing, I just can't think about barbeque
without thinking about Smoliks again, which makes my mouth water!

As for how you're cooking it, the terms are not all that important.
It's how it tastes that matters the most!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:
> I've never even had BBQ brisket, but I've got a 7 pound flat cut that
> I'm making this weekend. I was going to use the recipe from Cook's
> Illustrated.
>
> It's brined, then a simple rub of salt, pepper and sugar.
> Then smokes in the grill for 3 hours, then finishes in the oven for 1
> 1/2 hours.
>
> There's no sauce, I just wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be
> that way.

Why brined AND dry rubbed AND smoked... sure you're not making guinea
******* pastrami... actually it seems more like you're making an
abortion... poor hunk of brisket yer murdering it... I think you
derserve a very long prison sentence and banned from cooking for life.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>. I think you
>derserve a very long prison sentence and banned from cooking for life.

Oops. New computer, new killfile. Thanks for reminding me what an
asshole you are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>He's right about brining it, though. You'll end up with an ugly
>and inferior corned beef/pastrami that way.

I've been looking at a lot of recipes today. It seems the majority
agree on a dry rub, then smoking at 225-250 for 1 1/2 hours per pound,
with sauceserved on the side for those who want it.

So I'm not going to use the Cook's Illustrated method.

I was going to use my gas grill with hickory chips, but I may use my
friend's smoker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

>>He's right about brining it, though. You'll end up with an ugly
>>and inferior corned beef/pastrami that way.

> I've been looking at a lot of recipes today. It seems the majority
> agree on a dry rub, then smoking at 225-250 for 1 1/2 hours per pound,
> with sauceserved on the side for those who want it.
>
> So I'm not going to use the Cook's Illustrated method.
>
> I was going to use my gas grill with hickory chips, but I may use my
> friend's smoker.

Mich@,

I've only had brisket a handful of times but I'd certainly try it first
without sauce and if that didn't delight the taste buds I'd apply some.
Same strategy I apply to Philly cheesesteaks!

Have you decided on sliced or shredded for sandwiches? What about coleslaw?

More fly in your BBQ brisket ointment.

Good luck,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> said...
>
>>> He's right about brining it, though. You'll end up with an ugly
>>> and inferior corned beef/pastrami that way.

>> I've been looking at a lot of recipes today. It seems the majority
>> agree on a dry rub, then smoking at 225-250 for 1 1/2 hours per pound,
>> with sauceserved on the side for those who want it.
>>
>> So I'm not going to use the Cook's Illustrated method.
>>
>> I was going to use my gas grill with hickory chips, but I may use my
>> friend's smoker.

> Mich@,
>
> I've only had brisket a handful of times but I'd certainly try it first
> without sauce and if that didn't delight the taste buds I'd apply some.
> Same strategy I apply to Philly cheesesteaks!
>
> Have you decided on sliced or shredded for sandwiches? What about coleslaw?
>
> More fly in your BBQ brisket ointment.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Andy

You shred the "burnt ends" and mix with a little sauce for chopped
barbecue sandwich. You slice the rest.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob said...

> You shred the "burnt ends" and mix with a little sauce for chopped
> barbecue sandwich. You slice the rest.
>
> Bob

Bob,

There's a BBQ joint in South Philly that actually gets high marks for their
Southern BBQ cuisine. I must seek it out!

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:

> To me, it's not BBQ if there's no BBQ sauce on it.

.....snip

Sometimes someone's opinion is so twisted around and absolutely wrong that
there's no use in even trying to provide a correction. :-(
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>
>> To me, it's not BBQ if there's no BBQ sauce on it.

> ....snip
>

> Sometimes someone's opinion is so twisted around and absolutely wrong that
> there's no use in even trying to provide a correction. :-(

Sadly, the most popular barbecue joint in town serves very good sauce
and tasteless steamed meat. I can't stand the place.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:36:57 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>salgud wrote:
>
>> To me, it's not BBQ if there's no BBQ sauce on it.

>....snip
>

>Sometimes someone's opinion is so twisted around and absolutely wrong that
>there's no use in even trying to provide a correction. :-(

Probably why nobody responded.

(thread drift alert!!!)

A few years ago a new friend was bragging about how good his ribs
were. Of course he said he used a weber gas grill. I didn't laugh
but he could tell by the look on my face I wasn't impressed. He asked
what was better and I briefly explained and told him to do a little
googling and get back to me if he wanted to give my smoker a try.
Shortly after he decided we needed to have a party at my house and he
would bring and smoke ribs. He showed up with pages of printed off
stuff he'd googled AND about 5 different bottles of sauces he'd
purchased. I asked him if there were more than the 15 people coming I
knew about? I shrugged and said "you'll see." He used a rub he'd
found and practiced a new trick he read about that involved removing
the membrane. I spent about an hour with him teaching basic fire
tending skills including how to feel smoke and he was off and running.
He was so obsessed trying to prevent dips and spikes that he sat in a
chair next to the smoker for the whole 5-6 hours. Meantime his kids
tore my house up. <sigh> When the ribs passed the snap test he pulled
one off and tried it. His comment was: "Lou, now I see."

When they left I sent all the sauces back with him. Nobody used any.
His ribs were perfect and he still claims to be the BBQ king of our
group. Unlike saladgud, now he knows what BBQ is.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:36:57 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> salgud wrote:
>>
>>> To me, it's not BBQ if there's no BBQ sauce on it.

>> ....snip
>>
>> Sometimes someone's opinion is so twisted around and absolutely
>> wrong that there's no use in even trying to provide a correction. :-(

> You stopped reading before the best part:
>
> "If you'd called the brisket "barbeque" at Smoliks, they'd have
> laughed you out the door. Barbeque is the sauce served with the
> meat. Other places, of course, the barbeque is already put on the
> meat..."

Oh, I read it, Steve. That's one reason why I snipped early and gave up on
even trying to respond; it'd be like trying to argue with Rosie O'Donell
that 9/11 wasn't an inside job.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Sadly, the most popular barbecue joint in town serves very good sauce
> and tasteless steamed meat. I can't stand the place.
>
> Bob

What's the place?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
For your listening pleasu http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 10:19 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:59:20 GMT, Mitch@... wrote:
> > Hey thanks for the quick reply.
> > I just wasn't sure if there was an "authentic Texas BBQ brisket," and
> > if so, is it covered in sauce or just a rub.

> Texas BBQ briskets are smoked for 10-18 hours using just a rub.
> Most restaurants have optional sauce served on the side or at the
> table/condiment bar. A small handful do not offer sauce, and
> some don't offer silverware (or plasticware) either.
>
> Sauce is never used in cooking and never served on the brisket in
> Texas.
>
> -sw

I've lived half my life in the north and half in the south and I could
never get those in the north to understand that when you make barbeque
(or brisket), the sauce and meat don't come together until it's on
your plate, and the sauce is usually served on the side or there is a
bottle of sauce on your table at the restaurant. You can baste it
with some of the sauce when it's cooking, but it's never served with
the meat swimming in the sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> A few years ago a new friend was bragging about how good his ribs
> were. Of course he said he used a weber gas grill. I didn't laugh
> but he could tell by the look on my face I wasn't impressed. He asked
> what was better and I briefly explained and told him to do a little
> googling and get back to me if he wanted to give my smoker a try.
> Shortly after he decided we needed to have a party at my house and he
> would bring and smoke ribs.

I wish I had a friend who would have me over and teach me how to
make good barbecue.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose.
Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it." [John Adams]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message

> I wish I had a friend who would have me over and teach me how to make good
> barbecue.
>
> Serene

You have us. Where do you live?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Serene" > wrote in message
>> I wish I had a friend who would have me over and teach me how to make good
>> barbecue.
>>
>> Serene

> You have us. Where do you live?

Near the Oakland/Berkeley border. I will eventually be able to
afford a real smoker, but in the meanwhile, I am stuck with my
boyfriend's gas grill. I know, I know, but I am a total newbie to
even cooking meat, so I consider the utterly moist chicken I just
roasted to be a triumph, and real barbecue is so far just an aspiration.

I would, however, do the buying if someone who knew their stuff
would let me come over and learn how to do it up right.

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."
Thomas Jefferson (source: Unknown)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 23:04:22 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>Near the Oakland/Berkeley border. I will eventually be able to
>afford a real smoker, but in the meanwhile, I am stuck with my
>boyfriend's gas grill. I know, I know, but I am a total newbie to
>even cooking meat, so I consider the utterly moist chicken I just
>roasted to be a triumph, and real barbecue is so far just an aspiration.
>
>I would, however, do the buying if someone who knew their stuff
>would let me come over and learn how to do it up right.
>
>Serene

When I get back to the bay area for good..in about a year and a half
or so...I will have my smoker. We can play with it...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Serene" > wrote in message
>>> I wish I had a friend who would have me over and teach me how to make good
>>> barbecue.
>>>
>>> Serene

>> You have us. Where do you live?

>Near the Oakland/Berkeley border. I will eventually be able to
>afford a real smoker, but in the meanwhile, I am stuck with my
>boyfriend's gas grill. I know, I know, but I am a total newbie to
>even cooking meat, so I consider the utterly moist chicken I just
>roasted to be a triumph, and real barbecue is so far just an aspiration.

I haven't bbqed since my weber died of old age and the kids bought
hubby a gas job.... but since you did a good chicken on it, do your
Thanksgiving on it. For me, a 12 pounder only took 2 hours and it's
my preferred way to cook. The meat has a light smokey flavor to it,
everything is evenly cooked (white meat is still moist and juicy, dark
is cooked through) and best of all the carcass is evenly browned!

>I would, however, do the buying if someone who knew their stuff
>would let me come over and learn how to do it up right.

If getting real lump wood charcoal was as easy as picking it up from
the grocery store, I'd probably have a real wood smoker too.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:59:19 -0700, sf wrote:

>but since you did a good chicken on it, do your
>Thanksgiving on it.

Thanksgiving bird/turkey that is. Sheesh

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 23:04:22 -0700, Serene >
> wrote:
>

>> Near the Oakland/Berkeley border. I will eventually be able to
>> afford a real smoker, but in the meanwhile, I am stuck with my
>> boyfriend's gas grill. I know, I know, but I am a total newbie to
>> even cooking meat, so I consider the utterly moist chicken I just
>> roasted to be a triumph, and real barbecue is so far just an aspiration.
>>
>> I would, however, do the buying if someone who knew their stuff
>> would let me come over and learn how to do it up right.
>>
>> Serene

> When I get back to the bay area for good..in about a year and a half
> or so...I will have my smoker. We can play with it...

Yay!

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"If a man would follow today, the teachings of the Old
Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly,
the teachings of the new, he would be insane." [Robert Ingersoll]