Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default steaming rice

Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a pot
with a rice insert?

--
Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"postingprofile" > wrote in message
news
> Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a pot
> with a rice insert?

Everyone's experiences are different, but in the past, I've found those
collapsible things are a nightmare to clean. Crud gets into the crevices.

What's wrong with just putting rice in a pot with the right amount of water?
I've never needed any kind of accessory for this simplest of kitchen tasks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"postingprofile" > wrote in message
news
> Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a pot
> with a rice insert?

I actually tried this once, and the holes are way to big. It might work
if you line the steamer with a towel, but I just decided to go back to using
a regular pot since that works just fine.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 11, 7:04 am, postingprofile > wrote:
> Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a pot
> with a rice insert?

Why would you want to? "Steamed rice" is a misnomer for boiled rice.
Pot, rice, water, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to lowest setting,
done in 17-20 minutes. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. "And there you
have it!" -- steamed rice. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Sep 11, 7:04 am, postingprofile > wrote:
>> Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a
>> pot with a rice insert?
>>

> Why would you want to? "Steamed rice" is a misnomer for boiled rice.
> Pot, rice, water, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to lowest setting,
> done in 17-20 minutes. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. "And there you
> have it!" -- steamed rice. -aem

Actually, in order to "steam" boiled rice you have to take the lid off and
stir the rice after you cook it so the steam will release rather than keep
the rice moist. And, if I'm guessing correctly, the OP probably wants to
steam rice in order to make fried rice. If that's the case, they need to be
sure to chill it overnight. Good fried rice requires leftover steamed rice.
And be sure to cook it without added salt or fat.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> aem wrote:
>> On Sep 11, 7:04 am, postingprofile > wrote:
>>> Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a
>>> pot with a rice insert?
>>>

>> Why would you want to? "Steamed rice" is a misnomer for boiled rice.
>> Pot, rice, water, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to lowest setting,
>> done in 17-20 minutes. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. "And there you
>> have it!" -- steamed rice. -aem

> Actually, in order to "steam" boiled rice you have to take the lid off and
> stir the rice after you cook it so the steam will release rather than keep
> the rice moist. And, if I'm guessing correctly, the OP probably wants to
> steam rice in order to make fried rice. If that's the case, they need to
> be
> sure to chill it overnight. Good fried rice requires leftover steamed
> rice.
> And be sure to cook it without added salt or fat.
>
> Jill

A month ago, I was looking for fried rice recipes and the only variation I
found in terms of cooking the rice was to use a different rice to water
ratio. 1.5 cups rice to 2 cups water, for instance, for a drier result.

Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming" is
conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food over, but
not touching the water?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "JoeSpareBedroom" > said:

<snip>

> Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming" is
> conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food over, but
> not touching the water?

That was my though too. I have an electric rice steamer, although I
use it for chicken and veggies a lot more than rice. Doing rice in the
saucepan works for me...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "JoeSpareBedroom" > said:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming" is
>> conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food over, but
>> not touching the water?

> That was my though too. I have an electric rice steamer, although I
> use it for chicken and veggies a lot more than rice. Doing rice in the
> saucepan works for me...
>
> --
> Jani in WA

A google search for "steamed rice" turned up 183 billion results. I only
looked at the first 4 million. None involved anything but a pot and a lid.
No insert. One involved some preliminary steps I might try, but no other
gadgets.
http://shiokfood.com/notes/archives/000022.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in
:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> aem wrote:
>>>>
>>> Why would you want to? "Steamed rice" is a misnomer for boiled
>>> rice. Pot, rice, water, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to lowest
>>> setting, done in 17-20 minutes. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. "And
>>> there you have it!" -- steamed rice. -aem

>> Actually, in order to "steam" boiled rice you have to take the lid
>> off and stir the rice after you cook it so the steam will release
>> rather than keep the rice moist. And, if I'm guessing correctly, the
>> OP probably wants to steam rice in order to make fried rice. If
>> that's the case, they need to be
>> sure to chill it overnight. Good fried rice requires leftover
>> steamed rice.
>> And be sure to cook it without added salt or fat.
>>
>> Jill

> A month ago, I was looking for fried rice recipes and the only
> variation I found in terms of cooking the rice was to use a different
> rice to water ratio. 1.5 cups rice to 2 cups water, for instance, for
> a drier result.
>
> Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming"
> is conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food
> over, but not touching the water?

I have cooked rice in a pot on a stove, in a microwave and in a rice
cooker all using the standard time proven method...mix rice and water
together and heat to boiling.

I also have tried cooking rice in an electric veggie steamer...
While it is possible to steam rice...the taste isn't as good and the
texture suffers. This is my opion only...my ex liked rice cooked in a
steamer.

Lots of electric veggie steamers come with rice baskets and good
instructions. Some rice cookers come with veggie steamers (the mid to
upper cost range ones do in any case.) My kenmore veggie steamer came
with a rice basket and a egg rack. My black and decker rice cooker didn't
come with a veggie steamer insert as it is a cheap model.

To make fried rice requires slightly dried cooked rice...easiest gotten
by refridgerating a quantity of rice over night, another method is to use
a cookie sheet and slightly dry the rice in the oven if you have time
restraints.

These days if I desire cooked white rice I pick up a pint or 3 at the
chinese place at the top of my street on the way home. Plain rice is
cheap and in great supply there for cheap.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

To cook rice, I use the microwave. One cup of rice and two cups of
water in a covered corningware dish, cooked for 16-20 minutes. The rice
comes out perfect every time.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:37:33 -0700, aem > wrote:

>On Sep 11, 7:04 am, postingprofile > wrote:
>> Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a pot
>> with a rice insert?
>>

>Why would you want to? "Steamed rice" is a misnomer for boiled rice.
>Pot, rice, water, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to lowest setting,
>done in 17-20 minutes. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. "And there you
>have it!" -- steamed rice. -aem

What Armenians (and I'm sure other middle eastern cultures in America)
do is put a towel between the pot and the pot lid during the steaming
phase of rice.

We have many ways to cook rice and none of them are wrong as long as
the rice isn't under cooked or over cooked when finished.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:29:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming" is
>conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food over, but
>not touching the water?

I'm assuming the OP doesn't have access to a common machine called a
"rice cooker", which is where someone like the OP would make "steamed"
rice.

Most Americans who don't cook rice on a regular basis don't have a
clue about how much water to rice is appropriate. So just dump the
rice into a large amount of water (with salt) and boil until the
kernels have popped, but there is still a hard center (about 10
minutes). Drain and place back into the pan which is now on low heat.
Let the rice "steam" for another 10 minutes. Voilą! You have rice
like you would get from a rice cooker.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:29:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>> Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming" is
>> conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food over, but
>> not touching the water?

> I'm assuming the OP doesn't have access to a common machine called a
> "rice cooker", which is where someone like the OP would make "steamed"
> rice.
>
> Most Americans who don't cook rice on a regular basis don't have a
> clue about how much water to rice is appropriate. So just dump the
> rice into a large amount of water (with salt) and boil until the
> kernels have popped, but there is still a hard center (about 10
> minutes). Drain and place back into the pan which is now on low heat.
> Let the rice "steam" for another 10 minutes. Voilą! You have rice
> like you would get from a rice cooker.

I've started doing brown rice that way (it takes longer than 10 minutes)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:49:41 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:29:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming" is
>>> conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food over, but
>>> not touching the water?

>> I'm assuming the OP doesn't have access to a common machine called a
>> "rice cooker", which is where someone like the OP would make "steamed"
>> rice.
>>
>> Most Americans who don't cook rice on a regular basis don't have a
>> clue about how much water to rice is appropriate. So just dump the
>> rice into a large amount of water (with salt) and boil until the
>> kernels have popped, but there is still a hard center (about 10
>> minutes). Drain and place back into the pan which is now on low heat.
>> Let the rice "steam" for another 10 minutes. Voilą! You have rice
>> like you would get from a rice cooker.

>I've started doing brown rice that way (it takes longer than 10 minutes)

Brown rice always takes longer.

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:29:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming" is
>>conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food over, but
>>not touching the water?

> I'm assuming the OP doesn't have access to a common machine called a
> "rice cooker", which is where someone like the OP would make "steamed"
> rice.
>
> Most Americans who don't cook rice on a regular basis don't have a
> clue about how much water to rice is appropriate. So just dump the
> rice into a large amount of water (with salt) and boil until the
> kernels have popped, but there is still a hard center (about 10
> minutes). Drain and place back into the pan which is now on low heat.
> Let the rice "steam" for another 10 minutes. Voilą! You have rice
> like you would get from a rice cooker.

It's tough to read the instructions on the bag of rice. We're talking about
heavy lifting here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:49:41 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> I've started doing brown rice that way (it takes longer than 10 minutes)

How long does it generally take to cook this way with brown rice.

--
Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."
Monty Python's "Life Of Brian"
http://www.spampoison.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:43:37 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:29:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming" is
>>conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food over, but
>>not touching the water?

> I'm assuming the OP doesn't have access to a common machine called a
> "rice cooker", which is where someone like the OP would make "steamed"
> rice.
>
> Most Americans who don't cook rice on a regular basis don't have a
> clue about how much water to rice is appropriate. So just dump the
> rice into a large amount of water (with salt) and boil until the
> kernels have popped, but there is still a hard center (about 10
> minutes). Drain and place back into the pan which is now on low heat.
> Let the rice "steam" for another 10 minutes. Voilą! You have rice
> like you would get from a rice cooker.

Thanks that was helpful. Got any hints on brown rice?

--
Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."
Monty Python's "Life Of Brian"
http://www.spampoison.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 02:13:59 -0500, postingprofile
> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:43:37 -0700, sf wrote:
>

>> Most Americans who don't cook rice on a regular basis don't have a
>> clue about how much water to rice is appropriate. So just dump the
>> rice into a large amount of water (with salt) and boil until the
>> kernels have popped, but there is still a hard center (about 10
>> minutes). Drain and place back into the pan which is now on low heat.
>> Let the rice "steam" for another 10 minutes. Voilą! You have rice
>> like you would get from a rice cooker.

>Thanks that was helpful. Got any hints on brown rice?

Do you understand the difference between boiled and steamed rice?
Boiled is when you cook it to doneness in a lot of water. Steamed is
a method of cooking in a limited amount of water so the water is
entirely absorbed when done.

When you "steam" regular rice on the stove, do it in a pan large
enough that the contents don't boil over during the boiling stage.
So, I'd use a 2 qt saucepan to cook one cup of raw white rice. Put
the rice in the pan and if you don't measure with a cup add enough
water to come up to the first knuckle on your index finger if your
finger is resting on the rice (you may have to adjust that amount up
or down depending on your taste and how long your fingers are). I
like my rice on the dry side and my fingers are fairly short. Anyway,
bring the (lightly) salted water to a boil and time for 10 minutes.
That's the boiling part of "steamed rice".

At the end of this time, the water should be absorbed and you'll see
"vents" in the rice. DO NOT TOUCH. Turn the heat down to low and put
the lid on, this is the "steaming" phase. Time for another 10
minutes.

As I said before, you'll need to add a little more water to brown rice
and cook it a bit longer.... but really, unless it's the only thing
you have planned for dinner, you'll be there watching it cook so you
can adjust your liquid as necessary.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5_make-brown-rice.html
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...ok-brown-rice/

BTW: Brown rice is an awesome variation to any "spanish" rice type
dish. It really takes to chicken broth and tomatoes.

good luck!
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:29:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>> Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word
>> "steaming" is conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with
>> the food over, but not touching the water?

> I'm assuming the OP doesn't have access to a common machine called a
> "rice cooker", which is where someone like the OP would make "steamed"
> rice.
>
> Most Americans who don't cook rice on a regular basis don't have a
> clue about how much water to rice is appropriate.

It's on the back of the bag or box of rice. You just have to know how to
read and follow directions. Maybe I'm an exception but a rice cooker would
just be a waste of cabinet space.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> It's on the back of the bag or box of rice. You just have to know how
> to read and follow directions. Maybe I'm an exception but a rice
> cooker would just be a waste of cabinet space.
>
> Jill

A rice cooker is like a bread machine...just makes life easier. If I make
a pot of rice on the stove...well in my case in the microwave. I have
warm rice to eat for a meal. If I make rice in a rice cooker I have warm
rice to eat for some hours...plus not all the bother of watching the pot.

So if you eat rice say once a week or so...a rice cooker is a waste of
time, money and space...but if you eat rice say at least once a day...it
is a time saver and a good investment. Something like keeping a bag of
potato chips in the pantry.

We aren't talking here of just plain cooked rice...I have several
cookbooks involving at least a hundred differing rice dishes made simply
and easily in a rice cooker. While these recipes could be made on the
stove top I find them so much easier to make in the cooker.

When I bought my rice cooker I ate rice about once a day...now on my low
carb diet I have no need of a rice cooker....but I do miss rice...it is
my secret diet lusted after food when I fall off the low carb wagon.

Jill remember your reluctance to getting a stick blender? Well if rice
was allowed on my diet a rice cooker would rate up there in its'handiness
say 3 down on the list from the stick blender.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:29:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> aem wrote:
>>>>
>>> Why would you want to? "Steamed rice" is a misnomer for boiled rice.
>>> Pot, rice, water, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to lowest setting,
>>> done in 17-20 minutes. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. "And there you
>>> have it!" -- steamed rice. -aem

>> Actually, in order to "steam" boiled rice you have to take the lid off and
>> stir the rice after you cook it so the steam will release rather than keep
>> the rice moist. And, if I'm guessing correctly, the OP probably wants to
>> steam rice in order to make fried rice. If that's the case, they need to
>> be
>> sure to chill it overnight. Good fried rice requires leftover steamed
>> rice.
>> And be sure to cook it without added salt or fat.
>>
>> Jill

>A month ago, I was looking for fried rice recipes and the only variation I
>found in terms of cooking the rice was to use a different rice to water
>ratio. 1.5 cups rice to 2 cups water, for instance, for a drier result.

for my fried rice, i use store-brand enriched long-grain rice 1:1
water to rice. i never cook it the day before either, though i've
been meaning to try to see if there's actually a difference. i guess
it would be easier to separate the grains.

ask jill whether they eat fried rice in thailand.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

postingprofile > wrote:
>Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a pot
>with a rice insert?

It's a misnomer.

Steaming rice is simmering it until it absorbs and evaporates
all the water.

Put 2/3rd cup per person of water, plus a few tablespoons,
in a nonstick saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil.

Add 1/3rd cup per person of dry rice and stir once.

Immediately lower heat to low (not too low; the water
should be simmering if you look at it a minute later).

Cover pan.

Wait exactly 20 minutes. Do not uncover it in the meantime (unless
you're checking to see if it's simmering; you only need
to do this the first couple of times you make rice, to
calibrate your oven knob).

When you uncover the rice it will be moist but not wet.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
. ..
> postingprofile > wrote:
>>Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a pot
>>with a rice insert?

> It's a misnomer.
>
> Steaming rice is simmering it until it absorbs and evaporates
> all the water.
>
> Put 2/3rd cup per person of water, plus a few tablespoons,
> in a nonstick saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil.
>
> Add 1/3rd cup per person of dry rice and stir once.
>
> Immediately lower heat to low (not too low; the water
> should be simmering if you look at it a minute later).
>
> Cover pan.
>
> Wait exactly 20 minutes. Do not uncover it in the meantime (unless
> you're checking to see if it's simmering; you only need
> to do this the first couple of times you make rice, to
> calibrate your oven knob).
>
> When you uncover the rice it will be moist but not wet.

That's how I make rice. Always works for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:30:05 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:29:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word
>>> "steaming" is conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with
>>> the food over, but not touching the water?

>> I'm assuming the OP doesn't have access to a common machine called a
>> "rice cooker", which is where someone like the OP would make "steamed"
>> rice.
>>
>> Most Americans who don't cook rice on a regular basis don't have a
>> clue about how much water to rice is appropriate.

>It's on the back of the bag or box of rice. You just have to know how to
>read and follow directions. Maybe I'm an exception but a rice cooker would
>just be a waste of cabinet space.

Rice cookers are not *required*, Jill....they just make life easier
than watching it cook on the stovetop.