Melba's Jammin'

Default Cream Cheese Coffee Cake - The Recipe plus the stuff I promised (long)

OK, here's my recipe that is included in Ann Burckhardt's book, "A
Cook's Tour of Minnesota." Sharon Capps has already posted it in
another thread.

The comments to which she referred, but did not quote, are those remarks
under the title below -- how it placed in the various Minnesota State
Fairs in which it was entered.

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
1st Place, Minnesota State Fair
1985, 1986, 1989, 1990!
Second Place, 1987; not entered 1988.
Bombed, 1991

Crust:
1/4 cup scalded milk
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour

Filling:
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Topping:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour

Combine the milk, sugar, salt, and butter. Dissolve the yeast in the
warm water. Cool the milk mixture and add the proofed yeast to it. Add
the egg and flour to the yeast mixture (dough will be soft and sticky).
Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double -- about 30-45 minutes.

Roll or pat dough into a circle and place in a greased 16² pizza pan.
With greased fingers, shape as a pizza crust.

Make filling by creaming the cheese and sugar together and adding the
egg and vanilla. Pour filling evenly over crust.

For topping, cut margarine (butter) into sugar and flour with pastry
blender until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of filling. Let raise for 30
minutes.

Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes, until brown. Drizzle with powdered
sugar icing. Cut into wedges. Serves 12-16.

NOTES: When I entered the coffee cake in the 1985 State Fair, I did a
few things differently.

Everything can be mixed in the food processor -- and I do. Make crumbly
topping first; mix dough, then mix filling ingredients.

Have added grated orange peel to the filling. In 1986, I added a
homemade apricot filling made from dried apricots, on top of the cream
cheese filling. I always use butter for topping and crust.

Have never used the powdered sugar icing top.

BSchaller
10/16/88
Revised 9/16/89
Revised 4/13/91
Revised 7/17/94 for Sandy.

9/89 notes: About 1989 competition. I had intended to enter a
different kind of coffeecake; early test was a colossal flop! At the
last minute, having registered a coffeecake entry without specifying
what kind, I pulled one of these out of the freezer. When I brought it
in for entry, there was discussion amongst the crew as to whether or not
it could be accepted because of the cream cheese and eggs and the risk
of spoilage if it had to sit around before judging. After some
discussion, the decision was made to accept it.

After the Fair opened, Chris and I went to check out my success. My
coffeecake was not displayed with the other coffeecakes and I was upset,
thinking that theyıd decided not to judge it after all. Chris said,
³Now, Mother, just calm down; maybe itıs in another case.² And it was.
Without a ribbon on it. I was not surprised, really, that it didnıt
have a ribbon because it had been sitting in my freezer for two months!

We went to the office to check the "official list" for canning and
baking entries to see how Iıd placed on other things and as we were
scanning the lists, Chris, over my shoulder said, ³Holy shit, Mother,
your coffeecake won first place!² How could it be? There was no ribbon
attached, but the list said Iıd won. We checked with the superintendent
and she was so excited that I was there and said this is what had
happened: First of all, the ribbon had been put on the wrong
coffeecake. A woman came along and recognized what she thought was her
coffeecake sporting a blue ribbon and was excited about that and went to
the office to confirm her good luck. Only her name wasnıt there; mine
was! She asked the superintendent about the discrepancy and was told,
³So sorry, thereıs been a mistake; you donıt win; this is official,² and
they removed the ribbon from her coffeecake (poor dear, I would have
been crushed, too!) but didnıt know where to put it until I came along
and said, ³Excuse me, Iıll take that, thank you.² Or words to that
effect. What a hoot!

The moral of this little story is that, yes, it does freeze well!

More notes about making the coffeecake: Someone suggested that the
coffeecake would be more saleable if it were smaller. On a whim, I did
this: Make the recipe in a larger quantity by doubling the crust and
topping proportions and tripling the filling (for 3 - 12² coffeecakes
<use foil pizza pans for 12² size>).

MO The fact is that I make these six at a time, not three at a time.

Here are already-done-the-math details:

Crusts:
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 egg
3-1/2 cups all purpose flour -- and likely more -- up to 3/4 cup or so.

Filling:
3 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cup sugar
3 egge
3 tsp. vanilla extract
(optional: grated rind and juice of a lemon)

Topping:
1 cup butter
1-1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour

I divide the dough into six parts and filling and topping accordingly,
using about 1 cup filling and maybe 2/3 cup of topping. Use 8²
disposable/reusable foil cake pans, available at fine stores everywhere.
Bake them for about 15-20 minutes. After about 15 minutes from oven,
flip them out of the pans using two cake cooling racks. Baking them
near the top of your oven doesn't hurt them.

Oops! I only make this in the food processor. Mix the topping first,
and set it aside. Then mix the crust dough. If you have a food
processor but have never mixed dough in it, do it this way: Using the
steel blade in the work bowl, measure the flour into the work bowl, add
the egg(s) and process for about 10-20 seconds; it will look kind of
mealy maybe. Gradually add the combined liquids (milk, butter, yeast,
etc., as recipe directs) with machine running until everything is mixed
and doughy. Itıs a pretty sticky dough. Sometimes I add a little more
flour at this point so itıs more like bread dough and sometimes I donıt.
Mostly I do, because it's really soft and sticky otherwise. When
measuring the yeast, I donıt quite double the amount (I use about 4
teaspoons dry yeast.). Then mix the filling.

Like the lady said, ³Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?²

MORE NOTES, 9/29/91: This puppy did not even place in the 1991 State
Fair competition. Donıt know why. For some reason I didnıt get my
scorecard returned to me, I did see a copy of it in the CA Building
office -- scored 91 points of 100; low enough to be out of placing.
Verna Mikesh judged it and questioned the use of the cream cheese in the
filling for possibility of spoilage. What can I say?

When cool put them on 8² cardboard circles (or don't) from Maid of
Scandinavia/Sweet Celebrations and freeze in gallon-size Glad Food
Storage bags, from which you've sucked the air. They freeze well.

I've served it and sold it. If you're doing it for yourself, consider
cutting it into wedges before freezing, then thaw only what you'd like
to eat at one time. Or, once it's frozen, cut the wedges. Others who
have served it have topped it with fresh fruit topping. That's pretty
good, too, although I prefer it plain.

What'd I forget? I just baked six yesterday and will have pictures on
my website momentarily: <www.jamlady.eboard.com>. I ain't responsible
for your cholesterol level, eh?
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)
Greykits

Melba wrote:

>OK, here's my recipe that is included in Ann Burckhardt's book, "A
>Cook's Tour of Minnesota." Sharon Capps has already posted it in
>another thread.

>Have never used the powdered sugar icing top.

This is really similar to a long lost coffee cake recipe I got off a yeast
packet years ago. The filling was enclosed in the dough and there was no
struesel, though. And, I often put powdered sugar glaze on top. I will have
to try this one soon.

We had a friend who is down on his luck over for dinner today. I don't usually
make desserts, but remembered how much he and his mother loved them, so had to
make something. His mom and my mom were best friends, and we all still miss
his mom.

The dinner was rotisseried chicken over hickory chips (brined 2 days),
asparagus, and long-grained and wild rice. He brought salad. The chicken was
done to a turn, even on such a windy day. The asparagus was done simply, with
just lemon juice and butter.

This dessert is a keeper because it is so simple for one like me who doesn't
make many desserts. The worst part is that you dirty up two bowls. This uses
a brownie mix. Believe me, having seldom bought brownie mixes, it was a search
to find one with the right amount of ounces. Glad that's over with!

The recipe calls for a container of prepared chocolate frosting, which I didn't
like. Instead, I bought 12 oz. chocolate chips. I put about half a bag in the
brownie mix and then put more on top of the cake while it was still hot. I
made a powdered sugar/water glaze and swirled that on, and then did the knife
cuts on it to give that marbled look. It was pretty! There are about 3 pieces
left now.

This is from Duckie from rec.food.recipes:

Christmas Cheesecake Topped Brownies

1 (21 1/2 oz) package brownie mix
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese; softened 2 tablespoons butter or margarine,
softened
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk 1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16 oz) container prepared chocolate frosting

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan. Prepare brownie mix
according to the directions on the package. Spread into prepared baking pan. In
a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and cornstarch until fluffy. Gradually
beat in sweetened condensed milk, egg and vanilla until smooth. Pour cream
cheese mixture evenly over brownie batter. Bake for 45 minutes, or until top is
lightly browned. Allow to cool, spread with frosting and cut into
bars--Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at
recipes and recipe requests are accepted for posting. Please allow several
days for your submission to appear.Archives:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/
rharps.com
Herself

Greykits > wrote:

> This dessert is a keeper because it is so simple for one like me who
> doesn't make many desserts. The worst part is that you dirty up two
> bowls. This uses a brownie mix. Believe me, having seldom bought brownie
> mixes, it was a search to find one with the right amount of ounces. Glad
> that's over with!

Wait!!! Which brownie mix?!?!?!?!
--
'Tis Herself