rdoiron

Default enjoying real fries...Belgian style

How to Enjoy Real Fries, not McDonalds, not French, not
Freedom...Belgian!

"No, Madame, I am not from Paris. I am Belgian." If you've read
Agatha Christie, you'll recognize that this is super detective Hercule
Poirot setting the record straight about his origins. They could also
be the words of a fried, french-cut potato if it could talk.

Belgium is not alone in suffering culinary misattributions. Ukranians
bristle each time they hear Russia receive credit for borscht.
Italians scoff at what passes for authentic Italian-style pizza
outside of their borders. And I know of no better way to infuriate a
Scotsman than to tell him that the Irish invented whisky (both
countries claim credit). Still, the injustice done to the Belgians
over the fried potato this past century (the term "french fry" was
coined in 1894) stands out as being particularly poignant.

To truly understand what I mean, you have to travel to Belgium. There
you will see that the fry is not only a key part of the Belgian
national dish (ie. moules frites - mussels and fries), it is nothing
less than a way of life. Wherever you go in Belgium, you will find
people of all ages, sizes, and backgrounds eating their beloved
"frites" or "friet" as they are called in Flemish-speaking Belgium.
Along with the Belgian monarchy and beer, fries are one of the few
things that binds this multi-lingual, multi-cultural hodgepodge of a
country together. They are to Belgium what the baguette is to France,
the food of the people and a national culinary symbol.

For the full article and a recipe for some of the best fries you'll
ever eat, check out the page at the Kitchen Gardeners International (a
food nonprofit) site:
http://www.kitchengardeners.org/belgianfries.html

ahhh belgium mussels and fries.... yes!
"rdoiron" > wrote in message
om...
> How to Enjoy Real Fries, not McDonalds, not French, not
> Freedom...Belgian!
>

> "No, Madame, I am not from Paris. I am Belgian." If you've read
> Agatha Christie, you'll recognize that this is super detective Hercule
> Poirot setting the record straight about his origins. They could also
> be the words of a fried, french-cut potato if it could talk.
>
> Belgium is not alone in suffering culinary misattributions. Ukranians
> bristle each time they hear Russia receive credit for borscht.
> Italians scoff at what passes for authentic Italian-style pizza
> outside of their borders. And I know of no better way to infuriate a
> Scotsman than to tell him that the Irish invented whisky (both
> countries claim credit). Still, the injustice done to the Belgians
> over the fried potato this past century (the term "french fry" was
> coined in 1894) stands out as being particularly poignant.
>
> To truly understand what I mean, you have to travel to Belgium. There
> you will see that the fry is not only a key part of the Belgian
> national dish (ie. moules frites - mussels and fries), it is nothing
> less than a way of life. Wherever you go in Belgium, you will find
> people of all ages, sizes, and backgrounds eating their beloved
> "frites" or "friet" as they are called in Flemish-speaking Belgium.
> Along with the Belgian monarchy and beer, fries are one of the few
> things that binds this multi-lingual, multi-cultural hodgepodge of a
> country together. They are to Belgium what the baguette is to France,
> the food of the people and a national culinary symbol.
>
> For the full article and a recipe for some of the best fries you'll
> ever eat, check out the page at the Kitchen Gardeners International (a
> food nonprofit) site:
> http://www.kitchengardeners.org/belgianfries.html

Carnivore269

(rdoiron) wrote in message . com>...
> How to Enjoy Real Fries, not McDonalds, not French, not
> Freedom...Belgian!
>

> "No, Madame, I am not from Paris. I am Belgian." If you've read
> Agatha Christie, you'll recognize that this is super detective Hercule
> Poirot setting the record straight about his origins. They could also
> be the words of a fried, french-cut potato if it could talk.
>
> Belgium is not alone in suffering culinary misattributions. Ukranians
> bristle each time they hear Russia receive credit for borscht.
> Italians scoff at what passes for authentic Italian-style pizza
> outside of their borders. And I know of no better way to infuriate a
> Scotsman than to tell him that the Irish invented whisky (both
> countries claim credit). Still, the injustice done to the Belgians
> over the fried potato this past century (the term "french fry" was
> coined in 1894) stands out as being particularly poignant.
>
> To truly understand what I mean, you have to travel to Belgium. There
> you will see that the fry is not only a key part of the Belgian
> national dish (ie. moules frites - mussels and fries), it is nothing
> less than a way of life. Wherever you go in Belgium, you will find
> people of all ages, sizes, and backgrounds eating their beloved
> "frites" or "friet" as they are called in Flemish-speaking Belgium.
> Along with the Belgian monarchy and beer, fries are one of the few
> things that binds this multi-lingual, multi-cultural hodgepodge of a
> country together. They are to Belgium what the baguette is to France,
> the food of the people and a national culinary symbol.
>
> For the full article and a recipe for some of the best fries you'll
> ever eat, check out the page at the Kitchen Gardeners International (a
> food nonprofit) site:

http://www.kitchengardeners.org/belgianfries.html

This one is worth forwarding, thanks!!!

C.