FoodBanter.com

-   -   Beef bullion cubes versus beef broth (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/133526-beef-bullion-cubes-versus.html)

Mitch@... 28-08-2007 01:50 AM

Beef bullion cubes versus beef broth

If I have a recipe that calls for bullion, but I'd rather use broth
because the bullion is so salty...what's the conversion?

aem 28-08-2007 02:19 AM

On Aug 27, 5:50 pm, Mitch@... wrote:
> If I have a recipe that calls for bullion, but I'd rather use broth
> because the bullion is so salty...what's the conversion?

Wouldn't they be equivalent? If the recipe wants a cup of bouillon,
or a cup of water and a bouillon cube, then use a cup of beef broth.
Or is one supposed to be stronger than the other?

Another product you might try is "beef base," a paste that you
dissolve in hot water like a bouillon cube. You might find one a
little less salty. -aem

Julie Bove 28-08-2007 02:55 AM

<Mitch@...> wrote in message
> If I have a recipe that calls for bullion, but I'd rather use broth
> because the bullion is so salty...what's the conversion?

A cube of bouillon is generally added to 8 oz. of water. So you'd want 8
oz. of broth.

Julie Bove 28-08-2007 02:56 AM

Beef bullion cubes versus beef broth

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Aug 27, 5:50 pm, Mitch@... wrote:
>> If I have a recipe that calls for bullion, but I'd rather use broth
>> because the bullion is so salty...what's the conversion?

> Wouldn't they be equivalent? If the recipe wants a cup of bouillon,
> or a cup of water and a bouillon cube, then use a cup of beef broth.
> Or is one supposed to be stronger than the other?
>
> Another product you might try is "beef base," a paste that you
> dissolve in hot water like a bouillon cube. You might find one a
> little less salty. -aem

That stuff is really good. So is the liquid concentrate.

Bobo Bonobo® 28-08-2007 03:02 AM

On Aug 27, 6:50 pm, Mitch@... wrote:
> If I have a recipe that calls for bullion, but I'd rather use broth
> because the bullion is so salty...what's the conversion?

Use broth. Forget that you even ever heard of the existence of
bullion cubes.
It's not about salt, but taste. Find a different recipe.

--Bryan

Kent 28-08-2007 05:31 AM

<Mitch@...> wrote in message
> If I have a recipe that calls for bullion, but I'd rather use broth
> because the bullion is so salty...what's the conversion?

There isn't a decent commercial bouillon anywhere in the world. The
commercial value of the whole cow doesn't make this a feasible product. So,
unless you're willing to make your own, forget it. You can find a good veal
bouillon product in France. When I want to have a beef flavored stock, and
don't have meat or homemade stock to put into it I use "Better than
Bouillon" "beef base". It comes in a small jar and is available in most
"yuppie" markets.

Kent

blake murphy 29-08-2007 08:28 PM

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:31:19 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

><Mitch@...> wrote in message
.. .
>> If I have a recipe that calls for bullion, but I'd rather use broth
>> because the bullion is so salty...what's the conversion?
>>

>There isn't a decent commercial bouillon anywhere in the world. The
>commercial value of the whole cow doesn't make this a feasible product. So,
>unless you're willing to make your own, forget it. You can find a good veal
>bouillon product in France. When I want to have a beef flavored stock, and
>don't have meat or homemade stock to put into it I use "Better than
>Bouillon" "beef base". It comes in a small jar and is available in most
>"yuppie" markets.
>
>Kent

how well does that stuff keep?

your pal,
blake

Giusi[_2_] 29-08-2007 10:06 PM

"blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:31:19 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>

>><Mitch@...> wrote in message

>>There isn't a decent commercial bouillon anywhere in the world. The
>>commercial value of the whole cow doesn't make this a feasible product.
>>So,
>>unless you're willing to make your own, forget it. You can find a good
>>veal
>>bouillon product in France. When I want to have a beef flavored stock, and
>>don't have meat or homemade stock to put into it I use "Better than
>>Bouillon" "beef base". It comes in a small jar and is available in most
>>"yuppie" markets.
>>
>>Kent
>>

> how well does that stuff keep?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Very well. I get one jar a year from the US. Once opened it lives in the
fridge and lasts the year.
--
Food and fashion
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Dee Dee 30-08-2007 12:49 AM

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:31:19 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>

>><Mitch@...> wrote in message
. ..
>>> If I have a recipe that calls for bullion, but I'd rather use broth
>>> because the bullion is so salty...what's the conversion?
>>>

>>There isn't a decent commercial bouillon anywhere in the world. The
>>commercial value of the whole cow doesn't make this a feasible product.
>>So,
>>unless you're willing to make your own, forget it. You can find a good
>>veal
>>bouillon product in France. When I want to have a beef flavored stock, and
>>don't have meat or homemade stock to put into it I use "Better than
>>Bouillon" "beef base". It comes in a small jar and is available in most
>>"yuppie" markets.
>>
>>Kent
>>

> how well does that stuff keep?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I've been buying This "Superior brand" for years now. I buy 6 at a time,
usually vegetable stock and put it in the colder of the two refrigerators
even without opening. The reason I do that is one time I bought several and
it looked like it got hot and 'boiled over' or something went wrong because
it was 1/3 gone. They hadn't been opened AFAICT.

I open one and put it in the refrigerator and use it until it's gone -- as
long as ? long time perhaps 3-4 months? I can't recall. But if they have
a use by date, I will use it up before the date if possible. The last time
I bought was perhaps probably January and I'm still using it. In the winter
I will use it fast because I make a lot of soups. The price had gone up a
lot. The only place I can find it is Whole Foods. But it is the only brand
that I've had total satisfaction with, and I will pay the piper.

I've tried others than vegetable, but since it is what I like the tatste of
best, it's what I buy.
Dee Dee

Dee Dee 30-08-2007 01:29 AM

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:28:03 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> how well does that stuff keep?

> Forever. It's still a lot of salt, but has actual cow in it.
> The Better Than Bullion stuff is OK - I use the clam a lot, but
> if you can get it, try the Minors brand. McCormick also sells a
> couple at the whorehouse stores for about $3.50/10-12oz.
>
> Minors seafood bases are excellent. But I can't find them
> anymore except for mail order.
>
> http://soupbase.com/view.asp?cid=1
>
> -sw

Steve, you turned me onto this a long time ago. I looked for it until I was
blue-in-the-face, then one day, guess what -- there is an aisle not even
related to stock, in Costco, there it sat waiting for me. I agree it is the
best I've used for chicken and beef. I just don't use this with any
regularity, so it's still in the refrigerator. I didn't date it. I will
buy some more and date it.

On the Superior web site, I believe they show several fish bases. But if
you're happy with Minors, then of course .....

Dee Dee

blake murphy 30-08-2007 07:05 PM

Beef bullion cubes versus beef broth

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:49:54 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>There isn't a decent commercial bouillon anywhere in the world. The
>>>commercial value of the whole cow doesn't make this a feasible product.
>>>So,
>>>unless you're willing to make your own, forget it. You can find a good
>>>veal
>>>bouillon product in France. When I want to have a beef flavored stock, and
>>>don't have meat or homemade stock to put into it I use "Better than
>>>Bouillon" "beef base". It comes in a small jar and is available in most
>>>"yuppie" markets.
>>>
>>>Kent
>>>

>> how well does that stuff keep?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I've been buying This "Superior brand" for years now. I buy 6 at a time,
>usually vegetable stock and put it in the colder of the two refrigerators
>even without opening. The reason I do that is one time I bought several and
>it looked like it got hot and 'boiled over' or something went wrong because
>it was 1/3 gone. They hadn't been opened AFAICT.
>
>I open one and put it in the refrigerator and use it until it's gone -- as
>long as ? long time perhaps 3-4 months? I can't recall. But if they have
>a use by date, I will use it up before the date if possible.

thanks, dee dee, and guisi upthread.

your pal,
blake