Refrigeration question -- Apple Crisp

Old 16-10-2003, 01:52 AM
Bob Travis
Usenet poster

Default Refrigeration question -- Apple Crisp

Please let me know if this is not the right newsgroup for this question.

My mother-in-law says that due to the high sugar content an apple crisp
dessert does not need to be refrigerated for the first day after cooking.
She says that if she made it just after breakfast and serves it just after
supper it will be safe to eat that evening and it needn't be refrigerated
until after it is served after supper.

I said any cooked food will start harboring bacteria just as soon as it
begins to cool, so she should have refrigerated it shortly after breakfast
and after supper she should only have warmed up what she anticipated we
would eat and kept the rest refrigerated.

Well she got all huffy and picked up her apple crisp and went home. My
thinking was, "Good riddens," but my wife asked me if I was absolutely sure
that it needed to be refrigerated and if there was any truth to her mom's
comment about the apple crisp's high sugar content making it so no
refrigeration is necessary the first day after cooking?

I said, "No, I'm not sure and maybe she really knows what she was talking
about." My wife then said, "Well, you better find out because if you are
wrong and she is right then you owe mom an apology." I said, "Okay, I'll get
on the web and find out."

I looked and looked and the best I could find was that apple crisp keeps for
three days WITH refrigeration. I could not find anything which specified how
long it could go without refrigeration on the day it was prepared.

I am hoping someone here knows or can tell me where to look. I want to know
if who was right and who was wrong.

Thanks for a clue.

Bob

Old 16-10-2003, 02:00 AM
stace
Usenet poster

"Bob Travis" wrote in message
. net...
Please let me know if this is not the right newsgroup for this question.

My mother-in-law says that due to the high sugar content an apple crisp
dessert does not need to be refrigerated for the first day after cooking.
She says that if she made it just after breakfast and serves it just after
supper it will be safe to eat that evening and it needn't be refrigerated
until after it is served after supper.

Bob, I can't give you a scientific answer, but it's basically apple pie, but
constructed differently.
Very few people in my experience refrigerate apple pie.
I can say without doubt that a day without refrigeration won't kill you.

Stace

Old 16-10-2003, 02:15 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

coming out of lurk mode
Dear Mr. Travis,
I have cooked in a few restaurants over a few years when I was younger. I
can tell you that, if there is ANY dairy used in the apple crisp it must be
refrigerated from shortly after it has cooled. This usually means BUTTER,
MILK, CREAM, etc. This was a RULE at one restaurant I worked in that was
known for its desserts. It was then cooled and kept close to frozen to help
keep it from spoiling and to help maintain shape and its quality. When we
were about to serve it to someone it would be placed on a tray, put under
the broiler for less than 2 minutes to bring it up to temperature and
restore its flavor and consistency. It was then served on a plate with ice
cream.
In general, it then can be said to depend on the recipe. If it has dairy
REFRIGERATE, it will probably keep for a week or more. If there is no dairy
it is probably safe out, but I still would not want to chance it, though I
am a bit on the cautious side since I learned about restaurants and their
kitchens first hand.
I hope this helps.
If you need to contact me by email I am at your disposal, I am sure my email
address is easily understood. If you do email me, please put ***APPLE CRISP
in the SUBJECT line so my computer will grab the message as having a
priority that I need to pay attention to and the APPLE CRISP reference will
remind me of where and who the subject comes from.
Bon Apetite
Mike

"Bob Travis" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

---

Old 16-10-2003, 02:24 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"Bob IMBECILE Travisty" writes:

[...]

Not only high sugar content... it's *baked*, in an OVEN, hotter and longer than
surgical instruments are autoclaved... that pie is friggin' sterile (like your
pea brain). You don't have one tenth your M-I-L's IQ... and she's only a 25˘
ho. Now her daughter, she's really dumb, blind, ugli as sin... hasta be, the
retard married the likes of you.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 16-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

Bob Travis wrote:

My mother-in-law says that due to the high sugar content an apple crisp
dessert does not need to be refrigerated for the first day after cooking.

I'm not sure it would even cross my mind to refrigerate it. I'd
eat it without a problem. Bet she's done that for longer than
you've lived and ... she's still here.

nancy
Old 16-10-2003, 02:35 AM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"Bob Travis" wrote in message
. net...
Please let me know if this is not the right newsgroup for this question.

My mother-in-law says that due to the high sugar content an apple crisp
dessert does not need to be refrigerated for the first day after cooking.
She says that if she made it just after breakfast and serves it just after
supper it will be safe to eat that evening and it needn't be refrigerated
until after it is served after supper.

STOP RIGHT THERE! You're in the wrong newsgroup, so far.

Try he alt.broom.for.mummy

I said any cooked food will start harboring bacteria just as soon as it
begins to cool, so she should have refrigerated it shortly after breakfast
and after supper she should only have warmed up what she anticipated we
would eat and kept the rest refrigerated.

nope. try rec.don.quixote

Well she got all huffy and picked up her apple crisp and went home. My
thinking was, "Good riddens," but my wife asked me if I was absolutely

sure
that it needed to be refrigerated and if there was any truth to her mom's
comment about the apple crisp's high sugar content making it so no
refrigeration is necessary the first day after cooking?

ouch. maybe alt.picnic.food.left.out.nobody.died

I said, "No, I'm not sure and maybe she really knows what she was talking
about." My wife then said, "Well, you better find out because if you are
wrong and she is right then you owe mom an apology." I said, "Okay, I'll

get
on the web and find out."

wow! rec.research.then.grovel

I looked and looked and the best I could find was that apple crisp keeps

for
three days WITH refrigeration. I could not find anything which specified

how
long it could go without refrigeration on the day it was prepared.

hmmm....a curve ball. ok, how bout alt.eat.it.and.see

I am hoping someone here knows or can tell me where to look. I want to

know
if who was right and who was wrong.

Thanks for a clue.

nah, that's alt.clues.r.us

What's in apple crisp? apples, brown sugar, oatmeal, maybe a little butter?
It could have sat out on the counter until dinner without major penalty.
You can leave a loaf of bread out, no? or in a breadbox?

Sorry, Bob, put on the collar and beg. Find out how at
alt.binaries.pictures.mothers.in.law

Jack Outlaws

Old 16-10-2003, 02:58 AM
Bob Travis
Usenet poster

Well, Nancy, the reason I asked is because growing up my dad was a
microbiologist / quality control supervisor at a food plant so we were
always more germ conscious than most people. When my wife's mom grew up her
dad was a farmer, they had no electricity, and for personal hygiene they
used an outhouse. In the 12 years we've been married both my wife and her
mom complain of stomach aches far more often than I do. Her mom even wonders
why her poor dog is always getting sick too and it never seems to dawn on
her that maybe it's because she will prepare a meat dish for him early in
the morning and never even think about refrigerating it until late in the
day. And God forbid I should say anything to her, she'd get all huffy like
she did tonight and let me know she didn't even have a refrigerator when she
was growing up. I didn't want to poor vinegar on the wound and ask her how
much time she spent in the outhouse.

That is why I thought possibly her "high sugar" explanation might be
plausible, but I thought I'd better ask someone that knows more about
cooking and refrigeration than I know.

All I can tell you for sure is my wife and I lived with her mom the first
two years we were married and after we moved out and began cooking more of
our own meals I rarely got stomach aches and associated problems again, but
when we lived with her mom they were a fairly regular occurrence. Every time
we sat down to dinner I felt like I was playing Russian Roulette. Will
tonight be another one of those nights in the john, or is everything going
to be okay this time. The general rule was if we went shopping together and
fixed dinner soon after we got home, usually everything was okay. But if we
were having leftovers the best I could do was say a prayer and hope for the
best.

Bob

P.S. There is something about elderly people and salt too. Just as they are
getting to the age where high sodium intake should be a consideration, it
seems they use about 5x more salt than seems reasonable, so much salt that
even if you're eating the brown off her fried chicken it tastes more like
the crumbs at the bottom of a very salty bag of potato chips.

Old 16-10-2003, 03:16 AM
Netguy
Usenet poster

In article ,
says...
[...]

Gosh, I never, ever refrigerate any dessert made with sugar. On the
other hand, those made with Splenda get the cool down - quick.

Old 16-10-2003, 03:19 AM
Bob Travis
Usenet poster

Well, Jack, I see in a round about way, the majority of the people here take
my mother-in-law's side, presumably because she's past seventy and still
here to talk about it, or you just know more about apple crisp than I do. My
initial thought was, better safe than sorry, but I have to admit it tasted
pretty good when it first came out of the oven, maybe it wouldn't be so bad
now. I think the group has fairly well convinced me that it's not a lot
different than apple pie and I know there have been many occasions where I
have eaten an apple pie several days old that had never been refrigerated.

Maybe I was overdoing it a bit when I began making a big deal about it not
being refrigerated. Well, did you ever see the TV show "Monk"? We could
have been twins except I'm the real thing and he's just an excellent actor
reading a very funny script. When I was a kid if you wanted a drink of my
coke or a bite of my ice cream I would take a big chug or a big bite and let
you have the rest. I'd say something like, "I'm full," or "I've had enough,"
while thinking what a ******* you were for having the gall to ask for a bite
or a swallow, then think I was going to keep eating it after you had some. I
soon figured out that if I was going to keep any friends I had to buy them
one of their own oe just make sure I never ate around them any more.

Bob

"Jack Schidt®" wrote in message
m...

. net...

Old 16-10-2003, 03:30 AM
Bob Travis
Usenet poster

Gosh, if that WAIS was right at 131 and MILs is ten times higher (1310) I am
living with someone smarter than Einstein, Thanks so much for poiting this
out. With big words like "autoclaving" in your vocabulary you must really be
smart too. Despite your incredible condescension I am of the opinion your
message was one of the best one's I've read here tonight. It was definitely
amusing and I bet you had great fun clicking the "send" button, but I'm glad
you did because what I got out of it made sense to me and I guess I was just
barely smart enough to grasp that fact.

Bob IMBECILE Travisty (oh, what a great play on words) BFG

Old 16-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Bob Travis
Usenet poster

Thanks, Netguy.

Is sugar a natural preservative? Hmmmn, candied pineapple, cherry pie,
cookies, ...maybe you've got something there.

Bob

says...

Old 16-10-2003, 03:39 AM
Sheryl Rosen
Usenet poster

in article , stace at wrote
on 10/15/03 9:00 PM:

"Bob Travis" wrote in message
. net...
Please let me know if this is not the right newsgroup for this question.

My mother-in-law says that due to the high sugar content an apple crisp
dessert does not need to be refrigerated for the first day after cooking.
She says that if she made it just after breakfast and serves it just after
supper it will be safe to eat that evening and it needn't be refrigerated
until after it is served after supper.

Bob, I can't give you a scientific answer, but it's basically apple pie, but
constructed differently.
Very few people in my experience refrigerate apple pie.
I can say without doubt that a day without refrigeration won't kill you.

Stace

once it's cut into, it requires refrigeration.

I would leave it on the counter for the few hours between baking and
serving, and not worry about refrigeration until after it's cut into.

I think chilling it would change the texture too much. And it would taste
better at room temp, anyway.

I think what is done in a restaurant, because there is liability involved,
and because you are serving the public, is overly cautious, and necessarily
so. In a restaurant kitchen, better to err on the side of over-cautious.
However, I think people today are bacteria-phobic, and to the detriment of
their immune systems. Your body is equipped to fight off germs. Immune
systems are like muscles, making them work makes them stronger! If you
don't allow yourself to be exposed to germs, your body won't know how to
fight them when it gets exposed accidentally.

I'm not saying to take chances and eat that tuna sandwich that's been
sitting out on the counter for 2 days, that's just crazy. Common sense needs
to prevail.

but sanitizing everything in your path is one sure way to make sure you get
sick at the slightest exposure.

That's a huge reason why I am against the proliferation of "anti-bacterial"
dishwashing detergent, cleaning solutions (such as Fantastik), hand soap,
etc. Washing your hands in hot soapy water will kill most of the harmful
bacteria on your hands. Using those antibacterial soaps not only kills off
what the regular soap misses, it also kills off the beneficial bacteria on
your skin.

Old 16-10-2003, 03:49 AM
Dawn
Usenet poster

Bob Travis wrote:

I said any cooked food will start harboring bacteria just as soon as it
begins to cool, so she should have refrigerated it shortly after breakfast

Probably it does, once it's cooled. But does enough grow in 12 hours to
make you sick?

I leave apple crisp out for days, if it lasts that long. I do cover it,
though, with plastic or the casserole lid.

comment about the apple crisp's high sugar content making it so no
refrigeration is necessary the first day after cooking?

I don't know that high sugar content does anything. But if you practice
general hygeine and cleanliness (washing hands, wiping off counters,
refridgerating raw meats, not having small 6 legged pests) you probably
are not at risk from day old bakery goods.

I wouldn't leave it uncovered outside, where pets could get it, or allow
people to stick their fingers into it.

Dawn

Old 16-10-2003, 05:34 AM
Bob Pastorio
Usenet poster

Dawn wrote:

Bob Travis wrote:

I said any cooked food will start harboring bacteria just as soon as it
begins to cool, so she should have refrigerated it shortly after
breakfast

Probably it does, once it's cooled. But does enough grow in 12 hours to
make you sick?

There are two different kinds of bacteria to consider; pathogens that
can hurt you and spoilage bacteria that will merely cause
deterioration in quality of the product.

Pathogens aren't going to find much to feed on here. Baking it has
essentially sterilized it (not fully, but close enough).

Generally, pathogens do their worst with proteins as fuel. Not much
protein in apple pie.

I leave apple crisp out for days, if it lasts that long. I do cover it,
though, with plastic or the casserole lid.

comment about the apple crisp's high sugar content making it so no
refrigeration is necessary the first day after cooking?

Sugar is bacteriostatic.

I don't know that high sugar content does anything. But if you practice
general hygeine and cleanliness (washing hands, wiping off counters,
refridgerating raw meats, not having small 6 legged pests) you probably
are not at risk from day old bakery goods.

I wouldn't leave it uncovered outside, where pets could get it, or allow
people to stick their fingers into it.

Amen.

Leave it on the counter, covered.

Pastorio

Old 16-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Lucian Wischik
Usenet poster

Bob Travis wrote:
Well she got all huffy and picked up her apple crisp and went home.
... "if you are wrong and she is right then you owe mom an apology."

I think that in these sorts of family situations you should apologise
even if you're in the right. No one changes their ways if it means
loosing face, and family discord isn't worth it.

--
Lucian

Thin apple pie recipe? Nexis Baking 2 25-02-2004 01:31 AM
Aging Chocolate Question HankSchulman Chocolate 1 31-12-2003 02:45 AM
Wet apple pie...need help shipwreck Baking 8 24-10-2003 03:16 PM