Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Breakfast and "A Bagel Report"...

Breakfast OR "The Bagel Reports"

From the brief bagels posts in the Montreal thread I had to try my town's
only fresh daily offering to see for myself.

1/2 Garlic bagel
1/2 Onion bagel
1/2 Tomato/Basil bagel

From Custom Bagels, Media, PA. (whole bagels, I just sampled a "1/2 moon"
of each).

The garlic bagel was the best of the three. All the toasted minced garlic
in the top crust was very flavorful. The onion bagel, less so. The onion
bits must've been over "toasted(?)" as I could barely taste or smell any
onion. The tomato/basil was really lame. I didn't see any actual tomato
bits in it but I could taste the basil. They probably used dried crushed
basil.

The bagels all had a mildly crunchy crust. After I tore off a bite, the
crushed end just stayed compressed. The inside was fairly dense. The bagels
were fat (probably 1-1/2" diameter) with small bagel hole.

All bites swiped with a dab of Smart balance margarine (too salty).

They did sell an "Everything" bagel, with a little bit of every variety in
it but I passed it up, too much for a first trial.

Three fresh bagels: $1.80

To sum it up, I don't believe Media, PA is in contention for the "World's
Best City for Bagels" this year. NYC is safe, for now.

With a multivitamin, cube of 85% dark chocolate and a tall glass of non-fat
milk.

Andy