Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For Victor: Tofu Stroganoff

Would the Count approve?

TammyM, smiling....

Tofu Stroganoff
recipezaar.com

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb extra firm tofu, but into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large yellow onion, chopped
8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or broth (or water)
1/2 cup sour cream (or tofu sour cream if vegan)
salt and pepper
1 lb cooked noodles

1.. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2.. Add tofu and cook until golden brown on all sides, stirring
occasionally, about 7 minutes.
3.. Remove tofu from skillet with slotted spoon and set aside.
4.. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to skillet and cook onion until softened,
about 5 minutes.
5.. Next, add sliced mushrooms and cook until they begin to release their
juices, about 1-2 minutes.
6.. Stir in paprika and flour and coat onions and mushroom.
7.. Be sure to cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, in order to
remove the raw taste from the flour.
8.. Add tomato paste and wine and stir until paprika and flour are well
blended into the liquid.
9.. Add vegetable stock (or water depending on your choice) and bring
entire mixture to a boil.
10.. Reduce heat to low, add salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for
about 20 minutes.
11.. Remove from the heat and whisk in sour cream.
12.. Be sure its blended well.
13.. Add tofu back to skillet and simmer for about 5 more minutes over low
heat until heated through.
14.. Serve over hot noodles, and top with additional sour cream if
desired.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote:

> Would the Count approve?
>
> TammyM, smiling....
>
> Tofu Stroganoff

Ha! We've been there before! :-p

See
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/b2462e8a6ff34fd2>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote:

> I'm getting old. I see I must find new ways to yank your chain.

So, you are into chains? What about whips? ;-)

ObChainRecipe: Georgia Chain-Gang Chili, from
<http://recipes.bgkulinar.net/recipe-Georgia+ChainGang+Chili-1416>.

Victor

Georgia Chain-Gang Chili
Number of Servings: 20

Ingredients:
1 Cup(s) Burgundy, dry
1/2 Teaspoon(s) Thyme,dried
4 Garlic cloves, med-fine chop
1/2 Teaspoon(s) Black pepper, freshly ground
6 Pound(s) Beef, coarse grind
2 Chicken breasts, large
2 Teaspoon(s) Beef round; 1/2" strips
2 Tablespoon(s) Oil, vegetable
2 Onions
3 Pork chops,coarse grind
10 Tablespoon(s) Red chile, mild, ground
1 Teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
1 Teaspoon(s) Oregano, dried, pref.Mexican
1/2 Teaspoon(s) Pork shoulder; coarse grind
1 1/2 Cup(s) Tomatoes, Italian-style
16 Ounce(s) Masa Harina flour
8 Ounce(s) Tomato sauce, Mexican hot
1 Can(s) Chiles, green, mild, whole
1 Can(s) Jalapeno peppers, pickled
2 Tablespoon(s) Hot pepper sauce, liquid
1 Tablespoon(s) Beef sirloin, coarse grind
3 Chiles,fresh whole green
1/2 Cup(s) Mushrooms
1/2 Cup(s) Sauterne
12 Ounce(s) Beer

Directions:
1. In a large non-aluminum (preferably glass or glazed cast iron) bowl
make a marinade by combining the burgundy, thyme, bay leaves, garlic,
and black pepper. Place all the beef in the bowl and mix lightly to coat
the meat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (If time is short
marinate for 2 hours at room temperature.)

2. Place the chicken breasts in a saucepan with enough water to cover.
Add 1 teaspoon salt and simmer over low heat for 1/2 hour. Remove the
chicken reserving the liquid. Chop the chicken breasts fine and reserve.

3. Meal the oil in a large heavy pot. Add the onions and cook until they
are translucent.

4. Meanwhile, drain the beef, straining and reserving the marinade. Mix
the beef and pork together, then combine the meats with the ground
chile, cayenne pepper, oregano, cumin, rosemary, and the rest of the
salt. Add this meat-and-spice mixture to the pot with the onions. Break
up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat
is evenly browned.

5. Add half the marinade, the reserved chicken, tomatoes, both tomato
sauces, jalapenos, and 1 tablespoon of liquid hot pepper sauce to the
pot.

6. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the fresh
chiles, mushrooms, and a small amount of the Sauterne and cook for 3
minutes. Add this to the pot.

7. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for at least 3 hours. When the
chili is cooking, from time to time stir in the remaining marinade, the
remaining Sauterne, and beer. If more liquid is needed, stir in the
water the chicken was cooked in. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> TammyM > wrote:
>

>>I'm getting old. I see I must find new ways to yank your chain.

> So, you are into chains? What about whips? ;-)

This group is getting interesting! :-)

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote:

> I know! I was shocked, SHOCKED, I say. What does an 84-year old
> grandmother know about whips and chains!

She got corrupted by some of the young 'uns.

> Besides, I'm not into that stuff. Now. Whipped cream, chain-link
> negligees, entirely different story.... Not together of course, too
> difficult to clean the negligee.

We grandmothers like that, too! Verrry much so!

ObFood: Whipped Goat Cheese with Chives and Lemon, from
<http://www.karensrecipes.com/recipes/detail.jsp?r=89>.

Harry's Gran

Whipped Goat Cheese with Chives and Lemon

Description
Makes about 1 cup, serving 4 Time: 5 minutes. A quick way to dress up a
plain log of goat cheese is to whip it with flavorful ingredients.
Serve with pita chips (see recipe below) or any good crackers.

8 ounces fresh goat cheese
1/3 cup heavy cream
Pinch salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Whip all the ingredients with an electric mixer until the mixture is
soft and uniform, about 1 minute. Transfer the cheese mixture to a
serving bowl; serve. (The whipped cheese can be refrigerated for 1 day.)

Pita Chips
Makes 48 chips, enough to accompany 2 cups dip
Time: 30 minutes

4 (8-inch) pita breads, cut into wedges
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

1. Adjust the oven racks to the upper-middle and lower-middle positions
and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the pita triangles, smooth-side
down, over 2 rimmed baking sheets. Brush the top of each chip lightly
with oil and sprinkle with salt.

2. Bake the chips until they begin to crisp and brown lightly, about 6
minutes. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and flip the chips so
their smooth side is up. Return the baking sheets to the oven, reversing
their positions from top to bottom, and continue to bake until the chips
are fully toasted, about 6 minutes longer. Remove the baking sheets from
the oven and cool the chips before serving.