Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does WalMart really have good meats?

The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
to really stay away from?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The only
meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making barbecue.
Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions and not worth
considering.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Go to a local butcher, or farm shop. Even better a local farm shop that
actually farms the meat you are buying.

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Kswck" > said:

> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

I gave up on Wally World's meat department. The Tyson chickens are
always full of water, the beef is tough, and the pork is salty...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

The only meat I buy at Walmart is the whole packer-cut briskets and the
frozen turkeys. And I'm looking for another source for the briskets; I
haven't bought a brisket in almost 2 years because the price is too
high. (almost $2 per pound at Walmart for the untrimmed ones, and about
$4 per pound or more everywhere else for trimmed and pumped briskets.)
Brisket ain't worth that much.

Most of the meat there is embalmed (they call it "enhanced") with with
salt and phosphate solution to make it heavier and increase the shelf
life. And the prices are not even all that good. The whole briskets
are the only meat there that is not pumped up (the trimmed briskets
are). The turkeys are, but the price is good enough that I buy them
anyway.

The biggest problem I have with Walmartmeat is the stuff is spilling
over to all the other stores, so that good unadulterated meat is not
available at any price. So I just don't eat much meat.

Even though the meat was no good, you shouldn't have had those problems.
Sounds to me like you cooked everything wrong.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

Never buy meat from Walmart! I mean, just look at it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
>> any to really stay away from?

> Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
> reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The only
> meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making barbecue.
> Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions and not worth
> considering.

I wonder if their beef comes from China...

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather
>> tough. Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from
>> Walmart; any to really stay away from?

> Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
> reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The
> only meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making
> barbecue. Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions
> and not worth considering.

I'm in full agreement with Edwin.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

I am surprised you have a problem. Walmarts meat vendors are required to
use the best embalming technology known to man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "Kswck" > said:
>
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
>> to really stay away from?

> I gave up on Wally World's meat department. The Tyson chickens are
> always full of water, the beef is tough, and the pork is salty...

Sure, but how about those "everyday low prices"...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:27:50 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Kswck" > wrote in message
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
>> to really stay away from?

>Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
>reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The only
>meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making barbecue.
>Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions and not worth
>considering.

In general, I agree, but it's the only place in Cow Hill -- or in the
county for that matter -- where I can get bison. And bison is good,
even if it's from Wallyworld.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
. ..
> Kswck wrote:
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
>> any to really stay away from?

> I am surprised you have a problem. Walmarts meat vendors are required to
> use the best embalming technology known to man.

lol!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
. ..
> Kswck wrote:
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
>> any to really stay away from?

> I am surprised you have a problem. Walmarts meat vendors are required to
> use the best embalming technology known to man.

Cremation would more in line.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:27:50 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Kswck" > wrote in message
>>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
>>> any
>>> to really stay away from?

>>Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
>>reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The only
>>meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making barbecue.
>>Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions and not worth
>>considering.
>>

> In general, I agree, but it's the only place in Cow Hill -- or in the
> county for that matter -- where I can get bison. And bison is good,
> even if it's from Wallyworld.
> --
>
> modom

Are you sure it's bison?
When Cabela's opened, I tried the bison burgers twice -- thumbs down. Ugly
stuff. I recall bison tasting pretty good.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee said...

>> In general, I agree, but it's the only place in Cow Hill -- or in the
>> county for that matter -- where I can get bison. And bison is good,
>> even if it's from Wallyworld.
>> --
>>
>> modom

> Are you sure it's bison?
> When Cabela's opened, I tried the bison burgers twice -- thumbs down.
> Ugly stuff. I recall bison tasting pretty good.
>
> Dee Dee

In my experience, grain fed buffalo tastes like ordinary beef. The free-
range, hormone-free, antibiotic-free buffalo is delicious. The Carmen Creek
frozen burgers are good. The other brand for steaks is D'Artagnan. It's
super-lean so don't overcook.

It's also super-high protein stuff. Probably led to my gout, since I ate it
practically every day for almost a year. I still have a good supply of
buffalo in the freezer that I can't touch! At least it stays fresh frozen
indefinitely.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Kswck wrote:
>>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather
>>> tough. Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from
>>> Walmart; any to really stay away from?

>> I am surprised you have a problem. Walmarts meat vendors are
>> required to use the best embalming technology known to man.

> lol!!!

I had a good chuckle over that one, too. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 5:57?pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> Dee Dee said...
>
> >> In general, I agree, but it's the only place in Cow Hill -- or in the
> >> county for that matter -- where I can get bison. And bison is good,
> >> even if it's from Wallyworld.
> >> --

> >> modom

> > Are you sure it's bison?
> > When Cabela's opened, I tried the bison burgers twice -- thumbs down.
> > Ugly stuff. I recall bison tasting pretty good.

> > Dee Dee

> In my experience, grain fed buffalo tastes like ordinary beef. The free-
> range, hormone-free, antibiotic-free buffalo is delicious. The Carmen Creek
> frozen burgers are good. The other brand for steaks is D'Artagnan. It's
> super-lean so don't overcook.
>
> It's also super-high protein stuff. Probably led to my gout, since I ate it
> practically every day for almost a year. I still have a good supply of
> buffalo in the freezer that I can't touch! At least it stays fresh frozen
> indefinitely.

Fresh frozen... now that is an oxymoron if ever there was one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 2:24 pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

The quality of Wal-Mart meat is very close to being justification for
what some Amurricans would call Turrurism. It easily justifies
destruction of property.

HATE

HATE

HATE

We had a good practice today.

"Dust to Dust."

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 12:24 pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

I made a pot roast for my family this evening from Wal-Mart. We've had
some tough meat from them in the past, but this time it was wonderful.
But, I used the slow cooker so my hubby and the kids wouldn't complain
about toughness. It's amazing what an old-fashioned, 30-year old
"Crock Pot" can do for a piece of Wal-Mart beef! > B.T.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:29:39 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:27:50 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
>> wrote:

>>>Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
>>>reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The only
>>>meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making barbecue.
>>>Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions and not worth
>>>considering.
>>>

>> In general, I agree, but it's the only place in Cow Hill -- or in the
>> county for that matter -- where I can get bison. And bison is good,
>> even if it's from Wallyworld.

>Are you sure it's bison?
>When Cabela's opened, I tried the bison burgers twice -- thumbs down. Ugly
>stuff. I recall bison tasting pretty good.

As far as I know it's still unlawful to mislabel food. That may have
changed with the Patriot Act or some counterterroism initiative that
I've not yet noticed, however. This stuff is labeled bison. And it's
good.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
.. I recall bison tasting pretty good.

> As far as I know it's still unlawful to mislabel food. That may have
> changed with the Patriot Act or some counterterroism initiative that
> I've not yet noticed, however. This stuff is labeled bison. And it's
> good.
> --
>
> modom

I'm glad you're getting good bison.
Everytime I think bison, I double-think "Ted Turner."
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> . I recall bison tasting pretty good.
>> As far as I know it's still unlawful to mislabel food. That may have
>> changed with the Patriot Act or some counterterroism initiative that
>> I've not yet noticed, however. This stuff is labeled bison. And it's
>> good.
>> --
>>
>> modom

> I'm glad you're getting good bison.
> Everytime I think bison, I double-think "Ted Turner."
> Dee Dee

There was a large buffalo ranch not far from here. They had a wholesale
business to restaurants and you you could go there and get whatever meat
cuts you like. A friend lives near there. One day he called and said
that all of the buffalo were gone. Ted Turner had bought all of them and
there was a constant stream of trucks on his road hauling them out to
whatever state Turner owns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:29:39 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
> wrote:
>
>> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message

>>> In general, I agree, but it's the only place in Cow Hill -- or in the
>>> county for that matter -- where I can get bison. And bison is good,
>>> even if it's from Wallyworld.

>> Are you sure it's bison?
>> When Cabela's opened, I tried the bison burgers twice -- thumbs down. Ugly
>> stuff. I recall bison tasting pretty good.
>>

> As far as I know it's still unlawful to mislabel food. That may have
> changed with the Patriot Act or some counterterroism initiative that
> I've not yet noticed, however. This stuff is labeled bison. And it's
> good.
> --
>
> modom

Well they do label the embalmed meat as fresh...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
. ..
> Kswck wrote:
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
>> any to really stay away from?

> I am surprised you have a problem. Walmarts meat vendors are required to
> use the best embalming technology known to man.

Remember the movie Soylent Green.......'Walmart meat is........PEOPLE'
-g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 2:51 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
> > The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> > Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> > Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> > Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> > to really stay away from?

> The only meat I buy at Walmart is the whole packer-cut briskets and the
> frozen turkeys. And I'm looking for another source for the briskets; I
> haven't bought a brisket in almost 2 years because the price is too
> high. (almost $2 per pound at Walmart for the untrimmed ones, and about
> $4 per pound or more everywhere else for trimmed and pumped briskets.)
> Brisket ain't worth that much.
>
> Most of the meat there is embalmed (they call it "enhanced") with with
> salt and phosphate solution to make it heavier and increase the shelf
> life. And the prices are not even all that good. The whole briskets
> are the only meat there that is not pumped up (the trimmed briskets
> are). The turkeys are, but the price is good enough that I buy them
> anyway.
>
> The biggest problem I have with Walmartmeat is the stuff is spilling
> over to all the other stores, so that good unadulterated meat is not
> available at any price. So I just don't eat much meat.

They got away with it because they were selling it to the "slack jawed
yokels" who are too ignorant to know better. People who live in
counties that have more cattle than humans, but who refer to margarine
as "butter." Folks who call evolution, "Just a theory," think
rasslin' is a sport, and that Dale Earnhardt, Sr. was one of the
greatest Amurricans ever.

You can bet that the wealthy rural folks don't buy that WalMart crap.

> Even though the meat was no good, you shouldn't have had those problems.
> Sounds to me like you cooked everything wrong.
>
> Bob

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dee Dee wrote:
>> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
>> . I recall bison tasting pretty good.
>>> As far as I know it's still unlawful to mislabel food. That may have
>>> changed with the Patriot Act or some counterterroism initiative that
>>> I've not yet noticed, however. This stuff is labeled bison. And it's
>>> good.
>>> --
>>>
>>> modom

>> I'm glad you're getting good bison.
>> Everytime I think bison, I double-think "Ted Turner."
>> Dee Dee
>>

> There was a large buffalo ranch not far from here. They had a wholesale
> business to restaurants and you you could go there and get whatever meat
> cuts you like. A friend lives near there. One day he called and said that
> all of the buffalo were gone. Ted Turner had bought all of them and there
> was a constant stream of trucks on his road hauling them out to whatever
> state Turner owns.

A pow-wow needs to be initiated. Damn!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, George > said:
> Little Malice wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, "Kswck" > said:
> >
> >> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> >> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> >> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> >> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> >> to really stay away from?

> > I gave up on Wally World's meat department. The Tyson chickens are
> > always full of water, the beef is tough, and the pork is salty...
> >

> Sure, but how about those "everyday low prices"...

You get what you pay for...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:39:23 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:29:39 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
>wrote:
>

>>Are you sure it's bison?
>>When Cabela's opened, I tried the bison burgers twice -- thumbs down. Ugly
>>stuff. I recall bison tasting pretty good.
>>

>As far as I know it's still unlawful to mislabel food. That may have
>changed with the Patriot Act or some counterterroism initiative that
>I've not yet noticed, however. This stuff is labeled bison. And it's
>good.
>--
>
>modom

as far as i know, the law is now whatever alberto gonzales says it is,
and frankly, he's not that much of a lawyer. must have been one of
them diversity students at harvard law.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:13:19 -0400, George >
wrote:

>Little Malice wrote:
>> One time on Usenet, "Kswck" > said:
>>
>>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
>>> to really stay away from?

>> I gave up on Wally World's meat department. The Tyson chickens are
>> always full of water, the beef is tough, and the pork is salty...
>>

>Sure, but how about those "everyday low prices"...

how would you like to be a pig who surrendered his god-given life only
to end up at wal-mart? i'd rather be a pair of gloves, out there
helping people have a good time...

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:16:46 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Kswck" > wrote in message
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
>> to really stay away from?

>Never buy meat from Walmart! I mean, just look at it.

frankly, i'd rather not even go that far.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
The Truthful Assh0le > wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2:51 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:

<snip>
> > The biggest problem I have with Walmartmeat is the stuff is spilling
> > over to all the other stores, so that good unadulterated meat is not
> > available at any price. So I just don't eat much meat.

> They got away with it because they were selling it to the "slack jawed
> yokels" who are too ignorant to know better. People who live in
> counties that have more cattle than humans, but who refer to margarine
> as "butter." Folks who call evolution, "Just a theory," think
> rasslin' is a sport, and that Dale Earnhardt, Sr. was one of the
> greatest Amurricans ever.
>
> You can bet that the wealthy rural folks don't buy that WalMart crap.

<snip>

> --Bryan

Well here in northwest Arkansas (the home of Walmart) the Wallyworld
parking lots are full of pickups, minivans, old family sedans that
couldn't qualify for the demolition derby and ex-police cruisers. The
parking lot of our local meat market is full of Cadillac Escapades,
Nissan Armadillos, GMC Envys, Lincoln Intimidators, and such. I can't
prove it, but suspect these behemoths belong to Walmart execs.

Your only friend,
Dave in the Ozarks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 8:15 am, Dave W > wrote:
> In article .com>,
> The Truthful Assh0le > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 12, 2:51 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:

> <snip>
> > > The biggest problem I have with Walmartmeat is the stuff is spilling
> > > over to all the other stores, so that good unadulterated meat is not
> > > available at any price. So I just don't eat much meat.

> > They got away with it because they were selling it to the "slack jawed
> > yokels" who are too ignorant to know better. People who live in
> > counties that have more cattle than humans, but who refer to margarine
> > as "butter." Folks who call evolution, "Just a theory," think
> > rasslin' is a sport, and that Dale Earnhardt, Sr. was one of the
> > greatest Amurricans ever.

> > You can bet that the wealthy rural folks don't buy that WalMart crap.

> <snip>
>
> > --Bryan

> Well here in northwest Arkansas (the home of Walmart) the Wallyworld
> parking lots are full of pickups, minivans, old family sedans that
> couldn't qualify for the demolition derby and ex-police cruisers. The
> parking lot of our local meat market is full of Cadillac Escapades,
> Nissan Armadillos, GMC Envys, Lincoln Intimidators, and such. I can't
> prove it, but suspect these behemoths belong to Walmart execs.

"Here in America, we've got class."

There's a good taqueria on US-62, just east of Rogers. It is on the
north side of the road, next to a Mexican grocery. We drive there
every time we stay in Eureka Springs.
There's also a Guatemalan lady who has a taco trailer on the square in
Berryville.
She only opens when she feels like it, but the steak tacos are
righteous.

> Your only friend,
> Dave in the Ozarks

--Bryan, at the other end of the Ozarks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:24:20 -0400, Kswck wrote:
>
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
>> any
>> to really stay away from?

> Have you just returned from outer space?
>
> -sw

Walmart is relatively new in this area. Lawsuits regarding 'Big Box' stores
have been rather successful till now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "George" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Kswck wrote:
>>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
>>> any to really stay away from?

>> I am surprised you have a problem. Walmarts meat vendors are required to
>> use the best embalming technology known to man.

> Remember the movie Soylent Green.......'Walmart meat is........PEOPLE'
> -g

Thank you Mr Heston.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

Thank you for your responses. It confirmed my suspicions anyway

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default do you know the grades of meat?

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
>> any to really stay away from?
>>

> Thank you for your responses. It confirmed my suspicions anyway

If so, do you know what you are buying? The low grade Choice perhaps? Lots
of talk about here among the experts about price and quality but never a
mention of the grade. You got to compare the price of apples to apples
before you bash and understand what you are talking about. I am not a fan
of Walmart by any means yet I have not seen an honest comparasion or a
rudimentary understanding of meats, just internet hype and BS talk so far.
You could change your title to Does Safeway or Kroger, or Piggly Wiggly...
really have good..... and say the exact same thing so far. You are bashing
the big guy, but you really don't know why do you? Blah, blah, blah.
Even the local little guy and local chains selling from the tailgate of the
few Packing houses will screw ya.

Wake up and see the big picture, it ain't just Walmart

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote:
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

Didja ever think (wrong woid for you). Didja ever realize that
perhaps you don't know the different cuts and how to cook... your
problem has not a whit to do with grades, nada... and anyone who
responds by explaning meat grading has less meat/cooking expertise
than you.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
>> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
>> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
>> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
>> any
>> to really stay away from?

> Didja ever think (wrong woid for you). Didja ever realize that
> perhaps you don't know the different cuts and how to cook... your
> problem has not a whit to do with grades, nada... and anyone who
> responds by explaning meat grading has less meat/cooking expertise
> than you.
>
> Sheldon

Oh grow up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
The Truthful Assh0le > wrote:

> On Aug 14, 8:15 am, Dave W > wrote:

<snip>

> There's a good taqueria on US-62, just east of Rogers. It is on the
> north side of the road, next to a Mexican grocery. We drive there
> every time we stay in Eureka Springs.
> There's also a Guatemalan lady who has a taco trailer on the square in
> Berryville.
> She only opens when she feels like it, but the steak tacos are
> righteous.
> >
> > Your only friend,
> > Dave in the Ozarks

> --Bryan, at the other end of the Ozarks

TNX for the recommendations. I'll try them both when I'm in the
neighborhood.

Regards,
Dave W.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> > > "Kswck" wrote:
> >> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> >> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> >> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> >> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
> >> any
> >> to really stay away from?

> > Didja ever think (wrong woid for you). Didja ever realize that
> > perhaps you don't know the different cuts and how to cook... your
> > problem has not a whit to do with grades, nada... and anyone who
> > responds by explaning meat grading has less meat/cooking expertise
> > than you.

> Oh grow up.

Look who's saying "grow up", you with your perpetual plethora of
infantile queries... you don't belong in a food/cooking group, you
have nothing whatsoever relevant to contribute... you must be an Andy
mole!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Mole

Ahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon