Does WalMart really have good meats?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does WalMart really have good meats?

The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
to really stay away from?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" wrote in message
The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
to really stay away from?

Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The only
meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making barbecue.
Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions and not worth
considering.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Kswck" said:

The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
to really stay away from?

I gave up on Wally World's meat department. The Tyson chickens are
always full of water, the beef is tough, and the pork is salty...

--
Jani in WA
Old 12-08-2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
to really stay away from?

The only meat I buy at Walmart is the whole packer-cut briskets and the
frozen turkeys. And I'm looking for another source for the briskets; I
haven't bought a brisket in almost 2 years because the price is too
high. (almost $2 per pound at Walmart for the untrimmed ones, and about
$4 per pound or more everywhere else for trimmed and pumped briskets.)
Brisket ain't worth that much.

Most of the meat there is embalmed (they call it "enhanced") with with
salt and phosphate solution to make it heavier and increase the shelf
life. And the prices are not even all that good. The whole briskets
are the only meat there that is not pumped up (the trimmed briskets
are). The turkeys are, but the price is good enough that I buy them
anyway.

The biggest problem I have with Walmartmeat is the stuff is spilling
over to all the other stores, so that good unadulterated meat is not
available at any price. So I just don't eat much meat.

Even though the meat was no good, you shouldn't have had those problems.
Sounds to me like you cooked everything wrong.

Bob
Old 12-08-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" wrote in message
The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
to really stay away from?

Never buy meat from Walmart! I mean, just look at it.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Kswck" wrote in message
The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
any to really stay away from?

Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The only
meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making barbecue.
Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions and not worth
considering.

I wonder if their beef comes from China...

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Old 12-08-2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Kswck" wrote in message
The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather
tough. Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from
Walmart; any to really stay away from?

Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The
only meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making
barbecue. Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions
and not worth considering.

I'm in full agreement with Edwin.

kili

Old 12-08-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
to really stay away from?

I am surprised you have a problem. Walmarts meat vendors are required to
use the best embalming technology known to man.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
One time on Usenet, "Kswck" said:

The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
to really stay away from?

I gave up on Wally World's meat department. The Tyson chickens are
always full of water, the beef is tough, and the pork is salty...

Sure, but how about those "everyday low prices"...
Old 12-08-2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:27:50 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Kswck" wrote in message
The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
to really stay away from?

Wal Mart meat sucks. Avoid it and be happy. If you want a good cut at
reasonable prices, go to BJ's, Costco, or a good local butcher. The only
meat they have worth buying is packer cut briskets for making barbecue.
Everything else is low grade, enhanced with salt solutions and not worth
considering.

In general, I agree, but it's the only place in Cow Hill -- or in the
county for that matter -- where I can get bison. And bison is good,
even if it's from Wallyworld.
--

modom

Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" wrote in message
. ..
Kswck wrote:
The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart;
any to really stay away from?

I am surprised you have a problem. Walmarts meat vendors are required to
use the best embalming technology known to man.

Cremation would more in line.
Dee Dee

Old 12-08-2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Kswck" wrote in message
[...]

Are you sure it's bison?
When Cabela's opened, I tried the bison burgers twice -- thumbs down. Ugly
stuff. I recall bison tasting pretty good.

Dee Dee

Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee said...

In general, I agree, but it's the only place in Cow Hill -- or in the
county for that matter -- where I can get bison. And bison is good,
even if it's from Wallyworld.
--

modom

Are you sure it's bison?
When Cabela's opened, I tried the bison burgers twice -- thumbs down.
Ugly stuff. I recall bison tasting pretty good.

Dee Dee

In my experience, grain fed buffalo tastes like ordinary beef. The free-
range, hormone-free, antibiotic-free buffalo is delicious. The Carmen Creek
frozen burgers are good. The other brand for steaks is D'Artagnan. It's
super-lean so don't overcook.

It's also super-high protein stuff. Probably led to my gout, since I ate it
practically every day for almost a year. I still have a good supply of
buffalo in the freezer that I can't touch! At least it stays fresh frozen
indefinitely.

Andy