Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mortar and Pestle Recipes?

I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
> I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

It's used to hand-grind whole dried spices, not for specific recipes, per
se.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Honey_Bunny_025 > wrote:

> I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

When I make rye bread, I grind the anise with mortar and pestle.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:5ha1c1F3jltq2U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
>> I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
>> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
>> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
>> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
>> require, I mean to find it useful.

> It's used to hand-grind whole dried spices, not for specific recipes,

per
> se.
>
> Jill

French version of peppercorn steak requires cracked peppercorns placed in
grooves cut in the steak (preferrably green peppercorn). Use a mortar to
crack the peppercorns.

Some salad dressings require garlic to be made into a pasted with salt.
Use your mortar.

Some chinese and some mexican recipes require spice mixes that can be
made in a mortar. In that you toast the spices then grind them into a
blended powder.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:

> I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

Use the mortar and pestle to "wake up" the flavor in all of your dried
herbs.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 > wrote in
oups.com:

> I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

Any of your recipes that call for "crushed" garlic will taste much better
if you don't use one of those awful garlic crusher thingies but instead
mince the garlic and then mash it in the mortar. You get much more garlic
flavor that way.

Mark.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Honey_Bunny_025 > wrote:

> I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

Get some whole dried herbs for cooking and use it to grind them.
Useful especially for grinding things like Caraway and Fennel seed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:05:10 -0700, Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
>
> > I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> > darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> > recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> > recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> > require, I mean to find it useful.

> Thai curry pates and any wet or dry herbs and spices.

Won't that stain the marble?

Don't marble mortars have specific uses?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
> I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it.

I've found that no matter *how* long you cook the things, they never get
tender.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You can purify a marble mortar and pestel with
Kosher salt.

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Honey_Bunny_025" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

try some asian recipes, indian spices and all that stuff. why not go to
somwhere that sells spices and get some ideas?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Van Van is offline

Default Mortar and Pestle Recipes? - MOJITO!!

"Honey_Bunny_025" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>, Honey_Bunny_025 > wrote:
>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
>darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
>recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
>recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
>require, I mean to find it useful.

The marble pestle could be used as a substitute for more traditional
methods when making galah stew:

Place a plucked and cleaned galah in a large pot and cover with your
favourite stock. (Chicken or vegetable stock would probably be best.)

Bring the brew to a slow boil then:

Add a roughly chopped large onion.

Use the mortar and pestle to crush two fat cloves of garlic and
add that to the brew too. (Use the pestle to scrape the crushed garlic
into the pot and leave it there for later.)

Add other vegetables of choice (I like carrot, parsnip, turnip, spuds)
all roughly chopped.

Bring back to slow boil; reduce heat to a very low simmer then cover
the pot to reduce evaporation and go away for a long weekend.

On your return, test the pestle. If it's soft, add salt and
pepper to taste, chuck out the galah, and eat the pestle.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Honey_Bunny_025" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

Make a "pesto alla calabrese"! It's good.

--
Kisses
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 13:57:44 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Honey_Bunny_025" > ha scritto nel messaggio
roups.com...
>>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
>> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
>> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
>> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
>> require, I mean to find it useful.
>>

>Make a "pesto alla calabrese"! It's good.

I am in the same situation. I just got a new mortar and pestle and I
think I might make some aioli in it, instead of my usual method (food
processor. I have heard that aioli made this way is truly unctous,
and wonderful.

Pesto might come after that..or a curry paste of some sort. I have
this new book called Cradle of Flavor which is mainly Malaysian
cooking. Lots and lots of curry pastes!!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:05:10 -0700, Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
> >
> > > I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> > > darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> > > recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> > > recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> > > require, I mean to find it useful.

> > Thai curry pates and any wet or dry herbs and spices.

> Won't that stain the marble?
>
> Don't marble mortars have specific uses?

They can be bleached.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
> > I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> > darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> > recipes on the internet for it.

> I've found that no matter *how* long you cook the things, they never get
> tender.
>
> Bob

ROFL!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 13:57:44 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Honey_Bunny_025" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> roups.com...
> >>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> >> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> >> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> >> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> >> require, I mean to find it useful.
> >>

> >Make a "pesto alla calabrese"! It's good.

> I am in the same situation. I just got a new mortar and pestle and I
> think I might make some aioli in it, instead of my usual method (food
> processor. I have heard that aioli made this way is truly unctous,
> and wonderful.
>
> Pesto might come after that..or a curry paste of some sort. I have
> this new book called Cradle of Flavor which is mainly Malaysian
> cooking. Lots and lots of curry pastes!!!
>
> Christine

Food processors are cool, but there is something soul satisfying about
doing stuff the "old fashioned" way and hand-grinding it.

And I think it releases more esters.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> Food processors are cool, but there is something soul satisfying about
> doing stuff the "old fashioned" way and hand-grinding it.
>
> And I think it releases more esters.

I was thinking making small batches of the next late & great BBQ rub.

It would be easy to grind up a base blend, then shake it all out equally
onto paper plates, then add back a plate at a time and grind in various
different spices per plate.

And, If you feel like it, add a liquid base to your rubs and you've got a
marinade or BBQ sauce, depending.

Then, try them on beef, chicken, pork and fish, cook it up and decide.

As Om said, it would be good for the soul and the bank account when you
turn it loose on consumers at Trader Joe's or somewhere.

Andy
QotD #2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-01, Omelet > wrote:

> They can be bleached.

Thai granite M/P's need no such silliness.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-01, Omelet > wrote:

> Food processors are cool, but there is something soul satisfying about
> doing stuff the "old fashioned" way and hand-grinding it.

Yeah! ....you get to beat the crap outta it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 06:50:41 -0400, Van wrote:
>
> > "Honey_Bunny_025" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> >> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> >> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> >> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> >> require, I mean to find it useful.
> >>

> Exactly why would you need a M&P to make a mixed drink ?!?
>
> Or were you trying to think of "molcajete"?
>
> Maybe next time you should try actually including something that
> makes sense in the *body* of your post.
>
> -sw

Do you always get this bitchy during the full moon babe? ;-)

Try some Lindt's truffles. Dark chocolate.
They work for me. Great tranquilizer.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

> On 2007-08-01, Omelet > wrote:
>

>> They can be bleached.

> Thai granite M/P's need no such silliness.
>
> nb

I have a "close-fit" marble M/P. Good for nothing, imho.

http://tinyurl.com/yqeasn

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > Food processors are cool, but there is something soul satisfying about
> > doing stuff the "old fashioned" way and hand-grinding it.
> >
> > And I think it releases more esters.

> I was thinking making small batches of the next late & great BBQ rub.
>
> It would be easy to grind up a base blend, then shake it all out equally
> onto paper plates, then add back a plate at a time and grind in various
> different spices per plate.
>
> And, If you feel like it, add a liquid base to your rubs and you've got a
> marinade or BBQ sauce, depending.
>
> Then, try them on beef, chicken, pork and fish, cook it up and decide.
>
> As Om said, it would be good for the soul and the bank account when you
> turn it loose on consumers at Trader Joe's or somewhere.
>
> Andy
> QotD #2

As well as being just plain fun. :-)

If cooking loses the fun factor, it loses a LOT!!!

It's why I keep making Calves Foot Jelly for dad.
He loves it so and it's just complicated enough to make it fun without
being a PITA.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-08-01, Omelet > wrote:
>

> > They can be bleached.

> Thai granite M/P's need no such silliness.
>
> nb

No argument there... :-)
I have a well seasoned one.

I also have a big glass one that has no crevices.

Courtesy of the local pharmacist. Got it for me wholesale:

http://tinyurl.com/24wnx9
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-08-01, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Food processors are cool, but there is something soul satisfying about
> > doing stuff the "old fashioned" way and hand-grinding it.

> Yeah! ....you get to beat the crap outta it.
>
> nb

<lol> There is that... ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> notbob said...
>
> > On 2007-08-01, Omelet > wrote:
> >

> >> They can be bleached.

> > Thai granite M/P's need no such silliness.
> >
> > nb

> I have a "close-fit" marble M/P. Good for nothing, imho.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yqeasn
>
> Andy

Disagree... Those are for serious powdering of small volumes.
Mine however is ceramic: http://tinyurl.com/27fp3z
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> notbob said...

>> > Thai granite M/P's need no such silliness.
>> >
>> > nb

>> I have a "close-fit" marble M/P. Good for nothing, imho.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/yqeasn
>>
>> Andy

> Disagree... Those are for serious powdering of small volumes.
> Mine however is ceramic: http://tinyurl.com/27fp3z

I think we only used it for powdering doggie dope for the JRT's food bowl.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> notbob said...

> >> I have a "close-fit" marble M/P. Good for nothing, imho.
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/yqeasn
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Disagree... Those are for serious powdering of small volumes.
> > Mine however is ceramic: http://tinyurl.com/27fp3z

> I think we only used it for powdering doggie dope for the JRT's food bowl.
>
> Andy

<lol> Powdering pills for the pets is still a good use!

Seriously tho', clean it well and try powdering dried herbs for specific
recipes. I find I can get a better powder with that one compared to
others.

As long as all you need is a small volume. The finer the powder, the
more intense the flavor.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 > wrote:

> I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

Aîoli or rouille. Tapenade. Guacamole (as in Guacamole en Molcajete).
Mochi.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 > wrote:
>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
>darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
>recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
>recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
>require, I mean to find it useful.

I use mine to grind up spices a lot.

Some things don't need whole chunky fennel seeds, cumin
seeds, etc.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:35:53 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > Do you always get this bitchy during the full moon babe? ;-)

> I'm not bitching, I'm educating idiots. It's my job. Somebody
> has to beat these people over the head with clue-by-four. I was
> easy on him since he wasn't posting from Google.
>
> -sw

There are ways to educate without being rude.
People listen to you better if you are nice to them.

I learned that at the range...

Nothing is scarier than a clueless person holding a loaded pistol.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:07:40 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2007-08-01, Omelet > wrote:
>>

>> > They can be bleached.

>> Thai granite M/P's need no such silliness.
>>
>> nb

>No argument there... :-)
>I have a well seasoned one.
>
>I also have a big glass one that has no crevices.
>
>Courtesy of the local pharmacist. Got it for me wholesale:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/24wnx9

it's not too slippery?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:07:40 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > notbob > wrote:

> >> Thai granite M/P's need no such silliness.
> >>
> >> nb

> >No argument there... :-)
> >I have a well seasoned one.
> >
> >I also have a big glass one that has no crevices.
> >
> >Courtesy of the local pharmacist. Got it for me wholesale:
> >
> >http://tinyurl.com/24wnx9

> it's not too slippery?
>
> your pal,
> blake

It has it's uses and is a breeze to keep clean.

Excellent for crushing/cracking seeds that you are not planning to
powder.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Honey_Bunny_025" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> require, I mean to find it useful.

You can use it to make colloidal oatmeal for baths.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 5:34 am, (Phred) wrote:
> In article .com>, Honey_Bunny_025 > wrote:
>
> >I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> >darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> >recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> >recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> >require, I mean to find it useful.

> The marble pestle could be used as a substitute for more traditional
> methods when making galah stew:
>
> Place a plucked and cleaned galah in a large pot and cover with your
> favourite stock. (Chicken or vegetable stock would probably be best.)
>
> Bring the brew to a slow boil then:
>
> Add a roughly chopped large onion.
>
> Use the mortar and pestle to crush two fat cloves of garlic and
> add that to the brew too. (Use the pestle to scrape the crushed garlic
> into the pot and leave it there for later.)
>
> Add other vegetables of choice (I like carrot, parsnip, turnip, spuds)
> all roughly chopped.
>
> Bring back to slow boil; reduce heat to a very low simmer then cover
> the pot to reduce evaporation and go away for a long weekend.
>
> On your return, test the pestle. If it's soft, add salt and
> pepper to taste, chuck out the galah, and eat the pestle.
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --

Thank you for this recipe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 8:11 am, Peter A > wrote:
> In article .com>,
> says...
>
> > I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
> > darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
> > recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
> > recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
> > require, I mean to find it useful.

> If you had bought a new chef's knife would you be asking about "knife
> recipes?"
>
> Why did you buy it if you did not have uses in mind?
>
> A M&P is a general purpose tool. I use it to make coarsely crushed black
> pepper, to grind various spices, and to pulverize garlic cloves.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

Peter, I am inexperienced in using the mortar and pestle. I was
looking for ideas on how to make other rubs for meat or spreads for
breads... like pesto. Sorry you misunderstood the question.