Mortar and Pestle Recipes?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mortar and Pestle Recipes?

I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

It's used to hand-grind whole dried spices, not for specific recipes, per
se.

Jill

Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:

I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

When I make rye bread, I grind the anise with mortar and pestle.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Old 01-08-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in news:5ha1c1F3jltq2U1
@mid.individual.net:

Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

It's used to hand-grind whole dried spices, not for specific recipes,

per
se.

Jill

French version of peppercorn steak requires cracked peppercorns placed in
grooves cut in the steak (preferrably green peppercorn). Use a mortar to
crack the peppercorns.

Some salad dressings require garlic to be made into a pasted with salt.
Use your mortar.

Some chinese and some mexican recipes require spice mixes that can be
made in a mortar. In that you toast the spices then grind them into a
blended powder.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:

I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

Use the mortar and pestle to "wake up" the flavor in all of your dried
herbs.

Becca

Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 wrote in
oups.com:

I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

Any of your recipes that call for "crushed" garlic will taste much better
if you don't use one of those awful garlic crusher thingies but instead
mince the garlic and then mash it in the mortar. You get much more garlic
flavor that way.

Mark.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short

Old 01-08-2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:

I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

Get some whole dried herbs for cooking and use it to grind them.
Useful especially for grinding things like Caraway and Fennel seed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:05:10 -0700, Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:

I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

Thai curry pates and any wet or dry herbs and spices.

Won't that stain the marble?

Don't marble mortars have specific uses?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it.

I've found that no matter *how* long you cook the things, they never get
tender.

Bob
Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

You can purify a marble mortar and pestel with
Kosher salt.

S.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Honey_Bunny_025" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

try some asian recipes, indian spices and all that stuff. why not go to
somwhere that sells spices and get some ideas?

Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com, Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

The marble pestle could be used as a substitute for more traditional
methods when making galah stew:

Place a plucked and cleaned galah in a large pot and cover with your
favourite stock. (Chicken or vegetable stock would probably be best.)

Bring the brew to a slow boil then:

Add a roughly chopped large onion.

Use the mortar and pestle to crush two fat cloves of garlic and
add that to the brew too. (Use the pestle to scrape the crushed garlic
into the pot and leave it there for later.)

Add other vegetables of choice (I like carrot, parsnip, turnip, spuds)
all roughly chopped.

Bring back to slow boil; reduce heat to a very low simmer then cover
the pot to reduce evaporation and go away for a long weekend.

On your return, test the pestle. If it's soft, add salt and
pepper to taste, chuck out the galah, and eat the pestle.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Honey_Bunny_025" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
require, I mean to find it useful.

Make a "pesto alla calabrese"! It's good.

--
Kisses
Pandora