Price of Oranges

Old 28-07-2007, 04:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Price of Oranges

Good Lord! I just looked at a receipt from a grocery store today.
Certainly no Whole Foods here! 2 for $1.98. I couldn't believe it. So I
weighed them. At least they were large, but still. 24 oz. = $1.33# -- well,
looking at it that way, I guess it's more reasonable. As Broccoli Rabe was
$2.69 #. Wondering what equal product at WF would cost.

Lucky I live Virginia,
Dee Dee

Old 28-07-2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:44:52 -0400, "Dee Dee"
wrote:

Good Lord! I just looked at a receipt from a grocery store today.
Certainly no Whole Foods here! 2 for $1.98. I couldn't believe it. So I
weighed them. At least they were large, but still. 24 oz. = $1.33# -- well,
looking at it that way, I guess it's more reasonable. As Broccoli Rabe was
$2.69 #. Wondering what equal product at WF would cost.

Lucky I live Virginia,
Dee Dee

Where in VA do you live? And where do you shop?

I know when I was in northern VA, one could find amazing bargains at
some of the big Asian stores. Have you tried there, if you live in
that area?

If you live elsewhere in VA, I think you are probably out of luck. I
know when I was in Richmond this past spring, I was just floored by
the price of produce. It was a welcome relief to get back west to NM
to lower produce prices. And even then, they are higher than
California.

Yesterday, I got two heads of cauliflower for 88cents each. And
broccoli crowns were about 98 cents/pound. The stone fruits were
about 70-80cents per pound, for the most part. I think I got oranges
for a lot less than you did.

But try some of the Asian markets if you are close to any.

Christine
Old 28-07-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" wrote in message

Where in VA do you live? And where do you shop?

I live approx 70 miles due west (Hwy 66) of D.C. then on Hwy 81 to 30 miles
south of Winchester -

in northern VA, one could find amazing bargains at
some of the big Asian stores. Have you tried there, if you live in
that area?

We go occasionally, but not nearly often enough, to Fairfax where there are
numerous huge Asian/Hispanic stores. We load up. Sometimes I will freeze
some produce I've bought; the bargains (which are normal price) are so hard
to pass up, and I'm greedy when I see all that produce. It's funny, but the
produce will go down hill after a while, then another huge store will open
up with great produce.

Yesterday, I got two heads of cauliflower for 88cents each.

A good price here for cauliflower is $2.49. I love cauliflower, so I'll buy
it more often than broccoli, but DH prefers broccoli. Broccoli has a
certain fishy taste that it's hard for me to eat it often -- except
smothered with cheese, of course ;-).

And
broccoli crowns were about 98 cents/pound. The stone fruits were
about 70-80cents per pound, for the most part. I think I got oranges
for a lot less than you did.

I can get oranges at Costco for less, and most all produce there for less
than my local grocery, but it is not dependable. In the last few months I
have thrown out more than I've used. I'm getting very leary of their
produce which I used to depend on. I will still buy their red bell peppers.

But try some of the Asian markets if you are close to any.

Great advice. Just wish I would go there more often. It is balanced-off
with trips on the same run to Wegmans, Trader Joes & Whole Foods. Right
now, I don't see a trip scheduled because there are some other priorities.

Christine

Old 28-07-2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
Good Lord! I just looked at a receipt from a grocery store today.
Certainly no Whole Foods here! 2 for $1.98. I couldn't believe it. So I
weighed them. At least they were large, but still. 24 oz. = $1.33# -- well,
looking at it that way, I guess it's more reasonable. As Broccoli Rabe was
$2.69 #. Wondering what equal product at WF would cost.

Lucky I live Virginia,
Dee Dee

That would depend if it was in the "leper" bin or the prized organic
bin. I have only been in Whole Foods a few times and they sure know how
to make anything they don't want to sell seem like it came from the dump.
Old 29-07-2007, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" wrote in message

I can get oranges at Costco for less, and most all produce there for less
than my local grocery, but it is not dependable. In the last few months I
have thrown out more than I've used. I'm getting very leary of their
produce which I used to depend on. I will still buy their red bell
peppers.

Since produce doesn't come out of a machine, it's always going to be
variable. Some buyers (the store's purchasing agents) know how to wrangle
good stuff more often from growers and wholesalers, and some don't. People
who know how to do this are easily wooed away from companies like Wal Mart
and Costco, by supermarkets willing to pay better salaries, and who actually
care about their image.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" wrote in message
Good Lord! I just looked at a receipt from a grocery store today.
Certainly no Whole Foods here! 2 for $1.98. I couldn't believe it. So I
weighed them. At least they were large, but still. 24 oz. = $1.33# --
well, looking at it that way, I guess it's more reasonable. As Broccoli
Rabe was $2.69 #. Wondering what equal product at WF would cost.

Lucky I live Virginia,
Dee Dee

Should try Oz :-))... I bought a 3kg Bag of Navel Oranges yesterday for

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz