Russian Mennonite Recipe search

Old 21-07-2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Russian Mennonite Recipe search

We toured Western Canada for a month and ate at a Mennonite
restaurant in a Heritage Village near Winnipeg Manitoba. I've been
looking for recipes for the dishes we had and have had only a little
luck. We had vereniki served with a cream sauce called schmauntfatt,
Komst Borscht, that was excellent. The sausage that came with the
platter was over-cooked, but everything else was delicious.

I've found a recipe for the Komst Borscht, and found out the the
vereniki was actually a perogi (sp) filled with cottage cheese, but the
cream sauce has been elusive. I've done a web search and had no luck so
far. Does anyone have any idea what it may be. It wasn't just a white
sauce because the colour wasn't right. For dessert, we had Rhubarb
Plautz. I think it was a little like Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
...........Sharon

Old 21-07-2007, 11:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote in :

We toured Western Canada for a month and ate at a Mennonite
restaurant in a Heritage Village near Winnipeg Manitoba. I've been
looking for recipes for the dishes we had and have had only a little
luck. We had vereniki served with a cream sauce called schmauntfatt,
Komst Borscht, that was excellent. The sausage that came with the
platter was over-cooked, but everything else was delicious.

I've found a recipe for the Komst Borscht, and found out the the
vereniki was actually a perogi (sp) filled with cottage cheese, but the
cream sauce has been elusive. I've done a web search and had no luck

so
far. Does anyone have any idea what it may be. It wasn't just a white
sauce because the colour wasn't right. For dessert, we had Rhubarb
Plautz. I think it was a little like Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
..........Sharon

What you didn't have the green bean soup or the butter soup?...both are
excellent. I haven't eaten at the heritage Village but further west in
the towns of Winkler and Morden there is excellent Mennonite food.

I suggest checking out Amish food for a similar recipe...that where I
found my copycat green bean soup recipe (almost exactly right... still
playing with it though). Or inquire on-line at the heritage village...
perhaps a cookbook is for sale. Or they might know where a cookbook
might be purchased.

http://www.mennoniteheritagevillage.com/

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 22-07-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

We toured Western Canada for a month and ate at a Mennonite
restaurant in a Heritage Village near Winnipeg Manitoba. I've been
looking for recipes for the dishes we had and have had only a little
luck. We had vereniki served with a cream sauce called schmauntfatt,
Komst Borscht, that was excellent. The sausage that came with the
platter was over-cooked, but everything else was delicious.

I've found a recipe for the Komst Borscht, and found out the the
vereniki was actually a perogi (sp) filled with cottage cheese, but the
cream sauce has been elusive. I've done a web search and had no luck

so

far. Does anyone have any idea what it may be. It wasn't just a white
sauce because the colour wasn't right. For dessert, we had Rhubarb
Plautz. I think it was a little like Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
..........Sharon

Sharon,
I have a very old copy of The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes.printed in
Steinbach MB. It has a few recipes for the cream gravy for the verenki.
I am not sure about copyright issues for copying the recipes here. If
someone lets me know if it's ok I would post them. I see that they have
reprinted and updated this cookbook and have been selling them at the
local farmers market here. If you are interested in a copy I could pick
one up for you. I go drive past the Heritage Village about once a
month on my way to Winnipeg, but have never stopped there.
Sounds like I should give it a try sometime soon.
oldhag

Old 22-07-2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

If you were to stop at the Heritage site to have a meal, you would
have to pay an entrance to the village. The restaurant is inside the
park. We found it very interesting and enjoyed the meal. They have a
gift shop too, but on our budget, I didn't look at the cookbooks. If
there isn't a copyright issue, I'd appreciate knowing the recipes.
Thanks........Sharon

Old 22-07-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote in :

[...]

A list of ingredients isn't coprightable only the instructions are...If
the directions/instructions are slightly altered (a word here and there)
there is no infringment. Because then it isn't a copy.

Old 22-07-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

[...]

The Savoury version of the Cream Gravy is real simple. Basically you
take a couple of tablespoons of butter and cook it until it is brown
then add 1 cup of Sour cream /heavy cream ( some of the recipes say
sour cream while others say heavy cream). Heat to boiling point.Salt and
pepper to taste. Serve. I bet the browning of the butter is what gives
it the colour. If you prefer the sweetened version omit the salt and
pepper and add sugar instead.
oldhag
Old 22-07-2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

oldhag wrote:
Try this
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/S...tml#CREAMGRAVY