Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why Does Yor Nose Run When Eating Hot/Spicy Foods?

Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods? The best I can find it
this, but makes no sense to me:

"Spicy hot food has a chemical called capsaicin which stimulates your
respiratory tract and your digestive tract to release more mucus because
they both share a region called the pharanx, the throat. Capsaicin
stimulates the thermoreceptors that register temperature."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gino" > wrote in message
> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods? The best I can find
> it this, but makes no sense to me:
>
> "Spicy hot food has a chemical called capsaicin which stimulates your
> respiratory tract and your digestive tract to release more mucus because
> they both share a region called the pharanx, the throat. Capsaicin
> stimulates the thermoreceptors that register temperature."

You are experiencing a food intolerance reaction, a relative to an
allergic reaction but not as severe...

"Some food intolerances are fairly obvious, such as spicy foods
causing heartburn and a runny nose, or high-fat foods taking
longer to digest and causing stomach cramps..."

http://www.pamf.org/health/toyourhea...odallergy.html

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Does that mean that hot and spicy foods aren't good for the human body
(hence the allergic reaction).

"pavane" > wrote in message

> You are experiencing a food intolerance reaction, a relative to an
> allergic reaction but not as severe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gino > wrote:

> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods?

Look up "gustatory rhinitis".

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "Gino" > wrote in message
>> > Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods? The best I can
>> > find
>> > it this, but makes no sense to me:
>> >
>> > "Spicy hot food has a chemical called capsaicin which stimulates your
>> > respiratory tract and your digestive tract to release more mucus
>> > because
>> > they both share a region called the pharanx, the throat. Capsaicin
>> > stimulates the thermoreceptors that register temperature."

>> You are experiencing a food intolerance reaction, a relative to an
>> allergic reaction but not as severe...
>>
>> "Some food intolerances are fairly obvious, such as spicy foods
>> causing heartburn and a runny nose, or high-fat foods taking
>> longer to digest and causing stomach cramps..."

http://www.pamf.org/health/toyourhea...odallergy.html

>> pavane
>>

> A food intolerance has nothing whatsoever to do with a food allergy,
> they are not related at all except by many people mistaking the former
> for the latter. You quoted a good article but apparently did not read
> it.

Nor did you..."Food allergies and food intolerances are treated by dietary
avoidance of the causative food(s), with adequate nutritionally-equivalent
alternatives substituted in the diet." The OP was asking why, and the
causes are the same, the results, which require allergy testing as the
article states, differ to a smaller (intolerance) or greater (allergy)
extent.
We do not know which was the case with the little the OP posted.
Thank you for the compliment, though. Very nice of you.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gino" > wrote in message
> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods? The best I can find

it
> this, but makes no sense to me:
>
> "Spicy hot food has a chemical called capsaicin which stimulates your
> respiratory tract and your digestive tract to release more mucus because
> they both share a region called the pharanx, the throat. Capsaicin
> stimulates the thermoreceptors that register temperature."

Eyes, ears, nose and throat are all interconnected. Something that affects
one can affect all. It explains why hot peppers also make your eyes water.
I've heard some chili heads claim that their ears ring when they eat
something really hot like a habanero.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "Peter A" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

says...

> >> You are experiencing a food intolerance reaction, a relative to an
> >> allergic reaction but not as severe...
> >>
> >> "Some food intolerances are fairly obvious, such as spicy foods
> >> causing heartburn and a runny nose, or high-fat foods taking
> >> longer to digest and causing stomach cramps..."

http://www.pamf.org/health/toyourhea...odallergy.html

> >> pavane
> >>

> > A food intolerance has nothing whatsoever to do with a food allergy,
> > they are not related at all except by many people mistaking the former
> > for the latter. You quoted a good article but apparently did not read
> > it.
> >

> Nor did you..."Food allergies and food intolerances are treated by dietary
> avoidance of the causative food(s), with adequate nutritionally-equivalent
> alternatives substituted in the diet." The OP was asking why, and the
> causes are the same, the results, which require allergy testing as the
> article states, differ to a smaller (intolerance) or greater (allergy)
> extent.
> We do not know which was the case with the little the OP posted.
> Thank you for the compliment, though. Very nice of you.
>
> pavane

Oh gimme a break. Just because 2 medical conditions are treated the same
way does not mean they are related. If I have a headache I take
ibuprofen. If I have a painful sprained ankle I also take ibuprofen.
Therefore the 2 are related? I don't think so.

I don't mean to get on your case - but the fact is that many people
claim "allergy" when all they have is a food sensitivity. Others claim
"allergy" just because they do not like something and they use
"allergy" as an excuse to avoid eating it.

Allergies can kill people. Food sensitivities cannot.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gino wrote:
> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods? The best I can find
> it this, but makes no sense to me:
>
> "Spicy hot food has a chemical called capsaicin which stimulates your
> respiratory tract and your digestive tract to release more mucus because
> they both share a region called the pharanx, the throat. Capsaicin
> stimulates the thermoreceptors that register temperature."

You do realize that your nose *is* part of your respiratory tract, si?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "Peter A" > wrote in message
>> > In article >,

says...

http://www.pamf.org/health/toyourhea...odallergy.html

>> > A food intolerance has nothing whatsoever to do with a food allergy,
>> > they are not related at all except by many people mistaking the former
>> > for the latter. You quoted a good article but apparently did not read
>> > it.
>> >

>> Nor did you..."Food allergies and food intolerances are treated by
>> dietary
>> avoidance of the causative food(s), with adequate
>> nutritionally-equivalent
>> alternatives substituted in the diet." The OP was asking why, and the
>> causes are the same, the results, which require allergy testing as the
>> article states, differ to a smaller (intolerance) or greater (allergy)
>> extent.
>> We do not know which was the case with the little the OP posted.
>> Thank you for the compliment, though. Very nice of you.
>>
>> pavane
>>

> Oh gimme a break. Just because 2 medical conditions are treated the same
> way does not mean they are related. If I have a headache I take
> ibuprofen. If I have a painful sprained ankle I also take ibuprofen.
> Therefore the 2 are related? I don't think so.

In point of fact the analgesic needs in the two situations are indeed
related, the treatment and effect of treatment are identical. Only the
cause for the treatment (allergy or intolerance) differ, as do the causes
you cited, of headache or sprained ankle. But the results of the aches
are physiologically the same, which is the pain, hence the painkiller.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane said...

> In point of fact the analgesic needs in the two situations are indeed
> related, the treatment and effect of treatment are identical. Only the
> cause for the treatment (allergy or intolerance) differ, as do the causes
> you cited, of headache or sprained ankle. But the results of the aches
> are physiologically the same, which is the pain, hence the painkiller.
>
> pavane

Is the Dr. pavane?

[shudder the thought]

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
. ..
> Gino > wrote:
>
>> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods?

> Look up "gustatory rhinitis".
>
> Victor

I have "gustatory rhinitis". It's a nasal hypersensitivity to foods that
results in vasomotor rhintis
immediately after you eat. I, pathetically, have it after eating any food,
even toast in the morning.
It's somewhat senescent, in that it starts later in life. I tried
Ipratropium Bromide[anticholinergic drug (trade name: Atrovent] spray, from
my allergist. It didn't do anything.
There's nothing like free flowing clear snot!! At least you know you're not
infected. It does go away after 1/2-1 hour

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 1:22 pm, "Gino" > wrote:
> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods?

A deeper question is... why does your nose run,
and your feet smell?

--
Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 8:07?pm, Peter A > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > "Peter A" > wrote in message
> > > In article >,
> > > says...

> > > A food intolerance has nothing whatsoever to do with a food allergy,
> > > they are not related at all except by many people mistaking the former
> > > for the latter. You quoted a good article but apparently did not read
> > > it.

> > Nor did you..."Food allergies and food intolerances are treated by dietary
> > avoidance of the causative food(s), with adequate nutritionally-equivalent
> > alternatives substituted in the diet." The OP was asking why, and the
> > causes are the same, the results, which require allergy testing as the
> > article states, differ to a smaller (intolerance) or greater (allergy)
> > extent.
> > We do not know which was the case with the little the OP posted.
> > Thank you for the compliment, though. Very nice of you.

> > pavane

> Oh gimme a break. Just because 2 medical conditions are treated the same
> way does not mean they are related. If I have a headache I take
> ibuprofen. If I have a painful sprained ankle I also take ibuprofen.
> Therefore the 2 are related? I don't think so.
>
> I don't mean to get on your case - but the fact is that many people
> claim "allergy" when all they have is a food sensitivity. Others claim
> "allergy" just because they do not like something and they use
> "allergy" as an excuse to avoid eating it.
>
> Allergies can kill people. Food sensitivities cannot.

A runny nose from hot peppers, teary eyes from onions, sinus mucus
production form hoseradish, etc. are *normal* reactions to stimulants
but have not a whit to do with allergic reactions Should we say the
next time Pavene's bowel is full and he gotta shit that he's allergic
to eating... yeah, right. Allergy is probably the most often
misdiagnosed condition, the vast majority of people who claim they are
allergic to a food in actuallity just don't like it, they are not
allergic... what they are allergic to, (like Pavene) is EDUCATION!
Dumb ****er!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gino wrote:
> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods? The best I can find
> it this, but makes no sense to me:
>
> "Spicy hot food has a chemical called capsaicin which stimulates your
> respiratory tract and your digestive tract to release more mucus because
> they both share a region called the pharanx, the throat. Capsaicin
> stimulates the thermoreceptors that register temperature."

Capsaicin is an irritant. Your body is trying to flush it away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD > wrote:
>On Jul 21, 1:22 pm, "Gino" > wrote:
>> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods?

>A deeper question is... why does your nose run,
>and your feet smell?

Avocation not vocation.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gino wrote:

> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods? The best I can find
> it this, but makes no sense to me:
>
> "Spicy hot food has a chemical called capsaicin which stimulates your
> respiratory tract and your digestive tract to release more mucus because
> they both share a region called the pharanx, the throat. Capsaicin
> stimulates the thermoreceptors that register temperature."

My nose runs when I eat *any* kind of food - hot (spicy), hot
(temp), cold. It runs more when I eat things like hot soup
and hot (spicy) foods, but it even runs when I eat ice cream.
It's very annoying. Everyone in the family has this problem
so I think it is at least partly genetic.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

> "Gino" > wrote in message
>
>>Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods? The best I can find
>>it this, but makes no sense to me:
>>
>>"Spicy hot food has a chemical called capsaicin which stimulates your
>>respiratory tract and your digestive tract to release more mucus because
>>they both share a region called the pharanx, the throat. Capsaicin
>>stimulates the thermoreceptors that register temperature."

> You are experiencing a food intolerance reaction, a relative to an
> allergic reaction but not as severe...

Nah, I don't buy that. My nose runs , more or less, no matter
what I eat and always has. It's worse with hot (temp) foods so
I think that is something to do with the heat itself affecting
your sinuses in some way. And even with cold foods, I think that
also, just the physical act of swallowing my have some effect
on the sinuses in some people. Probably due to differences in
the way you're "constructed".

No scientific studies that I know of to back me up.
This is just my opinion.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> I don't mean to get on your case - but the fact is that many people
> claim "allergy" when all they have is a food sensitivity. Others claim
> "allergy" just because they do not like something and they use
> "allergy" as an excuse to avoid eating it.

I don't need an excuse not to eat something I don't like
and neither does anyone else, but sometimes it just shuts
people up if you say you're allergic. Otherwise some
people tend to carp at you about not eating "whatever" that
they think is good and they can't understand how you can
not like it. "You've never had it prepared correctly,"
or "You've never had one that's fresh," or whatever.

Also, it might help the waiter in a restaurant make
*sure* they don't put it in you're food. If you just
ask for "whatever" with no mushrooms they're not as
likely to be rigorous about making sure there's no
mushrooms in it as they would be if you tell them you're
allergic to mushrooms!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
"If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:17:24 -0400, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Gino wrote:
>
>> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods? The best I can find
>> it this, but makes no sense to me:
>>
>> "Spicy hot food has a chemical called capsaicin which stimulates your
>> respiratory tract and your digestive tract to release more mucus because
>> they both share a region called the pharanx, the throat. Capsaicin
>> stimulates the thermoreceptors that register temperature."

>My nose runs when I eat *any* kind of food - hot (spicy), hot
>(temp), cold. It runs more when I eat things like hot soup
>and hot (spicy) foods, but it even runs when I eat ice cream.
>It's very annoying. Everyone in the family has this problem
>so I think it is at least partly genetic.
>
>Kate

this is true for me, too. (well, maybe not 'run,' but i do have to
deploy a hankie.) but then i don't eat many completely non-spicy
food. maybe i'll test the ice cream thing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 22, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
> >> Why does your nose run when eating hot/spicy foods?

> >A deeper question is... why does your nose run,
> >and your feet smell?

> Avocation not vocation.

What is the opposite of inflammable?

--
Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> >A deeper question is... why does your nose run,
>> >and your feet smell?

>> Avocation not vocation.

> What is the opposite of inflammable?

This is true, and so weird. Flammable and inflamable mean the same thing.
But the reason is, the words are based upon two different base words--flame
and inflame. I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, "cybercat" > wrote:

> >> Avocation not vocation.

> > What is the opposite of inflammable?

> This is true, and so weird. Flammable and inflamable
> mean the same thing.
> But the reason is, the words are based upon two different
> base words--flame and inflame. I think.

What is the opposite of cleave?

--
Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD > wrote:
>On Jul 24, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> This is true, and so weird. Flammable and inflamable
>> mean the same thing.

>What is the opposite of cleave?

To lift and separate...

--Blair