Posted to rec.food.cooking
CM CM is offline

Default How do you make spongy pancakes?

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
secret to making more spongy pancakes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

CM > wrote in news:46a0eb7c$0$27516
:

> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

May I suggest leaving out the anchovies or the green beans?

So...where's your recipe and cooking method...one or the other is at
fault...How can we tell which it is without knowing either? Can't fix what
you can't see.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

CM said...

> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on the web,
if you'd shown some initiative.

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
CM CM is offline

Andy wrote:
> CM said...
>
>> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
>> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on the web,
> if you'd shown some initiative.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>
> Andy

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
> spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

Maybe you need a recipe that has more baking powder in it- that would
make them lighter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

CM said...

> Andy wrote:
>> CM said...
>>
>>> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>>> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is
>>> the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

>> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
>> the web, if you'd shown some initiative.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>>
>> Andy

> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
> spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

Have a nice day. Ya BUM!!!!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

CM wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> CM said...
>>
>>> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup
>>> but whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey".
>>> What is the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

>> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
>> the web, if you'd shown some initiative.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>>
>> Andy

> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
> spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

You didn't ask what makes pancakes spongy... you asked HOW do you make
spongy pancakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

CM wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
>> CM said...
>>
>>> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup
>>> but whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What
>>> is the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

>> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
>> the web, if you'd shown some initiative.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>>
>> Andy

> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
> spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

The whole secret to spongy pancakes is the use of buttermilk and baking
soda. The reaction between the two makes bubbles and lightens up your
pancakes. Same sort of deal you get with sourdough pancakes. It's all
about chemistry.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:34:35 -0700, CM > wrote:

>I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
>spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

Seems to me you're the ass. Can't you look at the recipe and figure
out what YOU are NOT putting in your recipe? I'd suggest adding a bit
of Elmer's Glue to your batter, just enough to plug up your...
nevermind. :/

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 20, 1:57 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> CM wrote:
> > Andy wrote:
> >> CM said...

> >> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
> >> the web, if you'd shown some initiative.

> >>http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

> >> Andy

> > I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
> > spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

> You didn't ask what makes pancakes spongy... you asked HOW do you make
> spongy pancakes.- Hide quoted text -

No, he asked "what is the secret to making more spongey pancakes".
That's not really "how", I took it as what is the chemistry behind
spongier pancakes vs. denser pancakes.
It's a legitimate question.

He wasn't looking for a copy cat recipe (though that's probably not a
bad way to answer it). One could put the copy cat recipe for ihop next
to the poster's recipe for pancakes to see what the differences are. I
guess that's a way to answer the question. But it's not really
dependant on the poster's recipe. It was more of a general question.

There is chemistry to food. Baking powder vs baking soda, one makes
foods rise, the other makes it spread, I forget which is which. Some
well known examples are Butter makes a tender pie crust, shortening
makes a flaky crust. Butter yilds a tender, cakey cookie, while
shortening yields a crispier one. Oil makes a denser coffee cake or
carrot cake than butter and sour cream makes a moister cake than
either.

So I took the poster's question to be more of a food chemistry
question than a recipe question.

I would think (though this is just a guess) that there's more fat in
ihop's pancakes than a standard at home recipe. thinking about how
ciabatta, an italian bread with a lot of olive oil in the dough, is
spongier and airier than for example, french bread, which has no fat
and has a tighter crumb. It's the oil in the ciabatta that makes it
that way. Pizza dough, same thing. Very thin crust pizza has virtually
no oil in the dough, thicker crusted pizzas have a spongier dough,
those have a lot of oil in the dough.

Southern style biscuits, which are closer to pancakes as far as the
dough goes, are fluffiest when there is more fat and a light touch on
the kneading. So that's my thought.

I think the secret to fluffy, spongier pancakes is a higher fat to
flour ratio and mixing just until combined.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Jul 20, 1:57 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> CM wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

>>> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes
>>> pancakes spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a
>>> complete ass.

>> You didn't ask what makes pancakes spongy... you asked HOW do you
>> make spongy pancakes.- Hide quoted text -

> No, he asked "what is the secret to making more spongey pancakes".
> That's not really "how", I took it as what is the chemistry behind
> spongier pancakes vs. denser pancakes.
> It's a legitimate question.

How about you learn how to read for comprehension: HOW DO YOU MAKE SPONGY
PANCAKES? It's the subject line. Sheesh. When does school start up again?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 20, 2:06 pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> CM wrote:
> > Andy wrote:

> >> CM said...

> >> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
> >> the web, if you'd shown some initiative.

> >>http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

> >> Andy

> > I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
> > spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

> The whole secret to spongy pancakes is the use of buttermilk and baking
> soda. The reaction between the two makes bubbles and lightens up your
> pancakes. Same sort of deal you get with sourdough pancakes. It's all
> about chemistry.
>
> George- Hide quoted text -

give the man a cigar for --

1. being correct
2. answering the original poster's question
3. not being a smart ass in the process...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-20, George Shirley > wrote:

> The whole secret to spongy pancakes is the use of buttermilk and baking
> soda. The reaction between the two makes bubbles and lightens up your
> pancakes.

Yes, it's that simple. Buttermilk and baking soda will make the
most dense caky pancakes beautifully light and lacy. Gar-own-tee!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>, CM
> wrote:

>I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
>secret to making more spongy pancakes?

You need some leavening, like baking powder or baking soda:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leavening_agent

"A leavening agent (sometimes called just leavening or leaven) is a substance
used in doughs and batters that causes a foaming action. The leavening agent
reacts with moisture, heat, acidity, or other triggers to produce gas that
becomes trapped as bubbles within the dough. When a dough or batter is baked,
it 'sets' and the holes left by the gas bubbles remain, giving breads, cakes,
and other baked goods their soft, sponge-like textures."

HTH!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:12:57 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>CM > wrote in news:46a0eb7c$0$27516
:

>> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
>> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

Buttermilk and a from scratch pancake recipe.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

CM wrote:

> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

You start off with the basic pancake ingredients, flour, salt, sugar,
baking powder, and then add various chemicals and additives, preservatives,
powdered eggs, powdered milk and strange solid fats.

Sorry, but I have no appreciation for commercial spongy type pancakes.
Pancakes are pretty easy to make but franchises make them so that the
lowest paid kitchen staff and part timers can make the identical product
every time in every store and it is a major disappointment for me that
pancake speciality restaurants make some of the worst pancakes around.

Do yourself a favour. Go out and get some buttermilk and make yourself a
batch of buttermilk pancakes. If you don't want to pay for a quart of
buttermilk to make just one batch then use whole milk, add a spoonful of
vinegar to it and let it sit for a few minutes. You won't be going back to
IHOP.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:34:35 -0700, CM > wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>> CM said...
>>
>>> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>>> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
>>> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

>> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on the web,
>> if you'd shown some initiative.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>>
>> Andy

>I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
>spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

Andy gave you a recipe that called for buttermilk and baking soda....
if you can't figure out why/how all by yourself, then take your
question to a chemistry related ng.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
CM CM is offline

wrote:
> On Jul 20, 1:57 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> CM wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>>> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
>>> spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

>> You didn't ask what makes pancakes spongy... you asked HOW do you make
>> spongy pancakes.- Hide quoted text -

> No, he asked "what is the secret to making more spongey pancakes".
> That's not really "how", I took it as what is the chemistry behind
> spongier pancakes vs. denser pancakes.
> It's a legitimate question.

Thank you for the excellent explanation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

wrote:

>>> You didn't ask what makes pancakes spongy... you asked HOW do you
>>> make spongy pancakes.- Hide quoted text -

>> No, he asked "what is the secret to making more spongey pancakes".
>> That's not really "how", I took it as what is the chemistry behind
>> spongier pancakes vs. denser pancakes.
>> It's a legitimate question.
>>

>How about you learn how to read for comprehension: HOW DO YOU MAKE SPONGY
>PANCAKES? It's the subject line. Sheesh. When does school start up again?

Not my battle to fight, but please re-read the original message. I
think you will find the question as quoted as well. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
CM CM is offline

George Shirley wrote:
> CM wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> CM said...

>>> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
>>> the web, if you'd shown some initiative.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
>> spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

> The whole secret to spongy pancakes is the use of buttermilk and baking
> soda. The reaction between the two makes bubbles and lightens up your
> pancakes. Same sort of deal you get with sourdough pancakes. It's all
> about chemistry.
>
> George

That's exactly what I was looking for. I live in the Pacific NW and
buttermilk isn't exactly a common ingredient for things around here.
I'll track down a good recipe with buttermilk and baking soda (the
recipes I've been trying have just regular milk and baking powder).

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
CM CM is offline

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:34:35 -0700, CM > wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> CM said...

>>> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on the web,
>>> if you'd shown some initiative.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
>> spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

> Andy gave you a recipe that called for buttermilk and baking soda....
> if you can't figure out why/how all by yourself, then take your
> question to a chemistry related ng.

That's fine but he didn't need to be insulting about it. If it's such a
bother replying to somebody's usenet post then just don't respond! No
need to be an ass.

If you look at the rest of the thread several other people managed to
respond with succinct and helpful answers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
CM CM is offline

Andy wrote:
> CM said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> CM said...

>>> This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
>>> the web, if you'd shown some initiative.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
>> spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

> Have a nice day. Ya BUM!!!!!!
>
> Andy

Considering the number of helpful responses I *did* get I'm not too
worried about hurting your feelings...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

CM wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:

>> The whole secret to spongy pancakes is the use of buttermilk and
>> baking soda. The reaction between the two makes bubbles and lightens
>> up your pancakes. Same sort of deal you get with sourdough pancakes.
>> It's all about chemistry.
>>
>> George
>>

> That's exactly what I was looking for. I live in the Pacific NW and
> buttermilk isn't exactly a common ingredient for things around here.
> I'll track down a good recipe with buttermilk and baking soda (the
> recipes I've been trying have just regular milk and baking powder).
>
> Thanks!

But that recipe works too. Maybe you are mixing too much? There should
still be lumps in the batter. Just wet the dry stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:17:58 -0700, CM > wrote:

>That's fine but he didn't need to be insulting about it. If it's such a
>bother replying to somebody's usenet post then just don't respond! No
>need to be an ass.
>
>If you look at the rest of the thread several other people managed to
>respond with succinct and helpful answers.

He gave you a cogent RECIPE! How insulting is that? Sheesh.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:54:32 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>Buttermilk and baking soda will make the
>most dense caky pancakes beautifully light and lacy. Gar-own-tee!

Yep.....that is the answer

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Myrtlewood Pancakes

breakfast

1 1/4 cup flour
1 egg
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup oil
1 pinch salt

Preheat grill over medium heat.

Combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour the batter by
spoonfuls into hot pan. Cook until bubbles form over top. Flip cakes
and
continue cooking until golden.

Yield: 8 servings

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 20, 5:13 pm, FuManchu > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> wrote:

> >> No, he asked "what is the secret to making more spongey pancakes".
> >> That's not really "how", I took it as what is the chemistry behind
> >> spongier pancakes vs. denser pancakes.
> >> It's a legitimate question.

> >How about you learn how to read for comprehension: HOW DO YOU MAKE SPONGY
> >PANCAKES? It's the subject line. Sheesh. When does school start up again?

> Not my battle to fight, but please re-read the original message. I
> think you will find the question as quoted as well. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Not to worry -- Jill has never been one to let reason get in the way
of a good rant...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This post is from me, btw -- I was killing part of my lunch
hour on Usenet today (i'm gonna get a TFH it kills me), and
forgot to set up my identity. Sorry... :-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"CM" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

Use GP flour or even bread flour. Do not use cake flour. Use reasonably
fresh baking powder. Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients
separately. Add wet to dry, very gently fold until just moistened. You'll
see dry chunks of flour, no problem. Let it rest a few minutes, then gently
fold again but not so much that all the bits of dry flour are mixed. You
want to under mix, not over mix and use a gentle touch. A couple minutes
rest before cooking is a good idea, it lets the flour absorb moisture and
the leavening agents begin to activate.

That's the secret. Oh, make them with buttermilk and add a couple
tablespoons of corn meal to the recipe. I also like to use 4 eggs per pound
of flour, most recipes call for 2.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:13:37 GMT, FuManchu >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:

>>How about you learn how to read for comprehension: HOW DO YOU MAKE SPONGY
>>PANCAKES? It's the subject line. Sheesh. When does school start up again?
>>

>Not my battle to fight, but please re-read the original message. I
>think you will find the question as quoted as well. ;-)

Not my battle either. But it's really sad that someone comes with an
ON topic question and gets crap for it. Yet Jill can't figure out
what to with a few english muffins and calls me an asshole and a
newbie, and claims to killfile me because I ask her if she has a
refrigerator. Although my question was sarcastic, her question was
far more stupid than asking what the secret to pancakes was. The
bully posting style of some of the regulars here must certainly repel
potentially good new posters. Luckily there are some awesome posters
here who are very helpful.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:35:56 -0500, "jmcquown"

>>> You didn't ask what makes pancakes spongy... you asked HOW do you
>>> make spongy pancakes.- Hide quoted text -

>> No, he asked "what is the secret to making more spongey pancakes".
>> That's not really "how", I took it as what is the chemistry behind
>> spongier pancakes vs. denser pancakes.
>> It's a legitimate question.
>>

>How about you learn how to read for comprehension: HOW DO YOU MAKE SPONGY
>PANCAKES? It's the subject line. Sheesh. When does school start up again?
>
>Jill

maybe he's home-schooled, jill. you'll never escape!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:07:00 -0700, kuvasz guy >
wrote:

>On Jul 20, 5:13 pm, FuManchu > wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>> >How about you learn how to read for comprehension: HOW DO YOU MAKE SPONGY
>> >PANCAKES? It's the subject line. Sheesh. When does school start up again?

>> Not my battle to fight, but please re-read the original message. I
>> think you will find the question as quoted as well. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

>Not to worry -- Jill has never been one to let reason get in the way
>of a good rant...

personally, i think we should send jill back to school. when does it
start again?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 20, 1:09 pm, CM > wrote:
> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

What's an IHOP?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, John Kane > said:
> On Jul 20, 1:09 pm, CM > wrote:

> > I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
> > whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
> > secret to making more spongy pancakes?

> What's an IHOP?

International House of Pancakes. And I haven't eaten at one
for many years. Last time we tried it, the portions were very
small for the price and not that tasty...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:10:17 -0700, John Kane >
wrote:

>On Jul 20, 1:09 pm, CM > wrote:
>> I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>> whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
>> secret to making more spongy pancakes?

>What's an IHOP?

It's a chain restaurant named International House of Pancakes.
Pancakes are their specialty.
They offer a variety of foods. I haven't been to one in years until
earlier this month.
I wrote about it on my food blog if you are interested. Go to recent
posts and click on La Posta Casino IHOP

Not some place to go out of your way for.

Koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 7/14

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"CM" > wrote in message
ng.com...
>I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
>secret to making more spongy pancakes?

Do you separate your eggs and fold in the whites last?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 02:17:56 -0400, "Rick Hackett"
> wrote:

>"CM" > wrote in message
ing.com...
>>I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>>whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
>>secret to making more spongy pancakes?

>Do you separate your eggs and fold in the whites last?

I am no expert, but I find if I make the batter and let it sit aside
for an hour, it makes much better pancakes. To be honest, I use just
bisquick, fresh eggs, extra amounts of whole milk - sometimes:
bananas, vanilla and sugar. But the action of the stuff in the
bisquick, when given the time, makes it bubble and get light and airy.
My pancakes can soak up a lot of butter for sure.

aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:09:07 -0700, CM > wrote:

>I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
>secret to making more spongy pancakes?

Pancake batter properly made is rather thick. My wife prefers
pancakes made with thin batter---she adds milk or water. The cakes
come out like rubber but that seems to be what she likes.

Roughly 1 1/4 cups flour to each cup of liquid. More liquid than that
gives something closer to crepes than pancakes.

Best -- Terry