How do you make spongy pancakes?

Old 20-07-2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
CM

Default How do you make spongy pancakes?

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
secret to making more spongy pancakes?
Old 20-07-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

CM wrote in news:46a0eb7c$0$27516
:

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
secret to making more spongy pancakes?

May I suggest leaving out the anchovies or the green beans?

So...where's your recipe and cooking method...one or the other is at
fault...How can we tell which it is without knowing either? Can't fix what
you can't see.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 20-07-2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

CM said...

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
secret to making more spongy pancakes?

This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on the web,
if you'd shown some initiative.

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

Andy
Old 20-07-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
CM

Andy wrote:
CM said...

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
secret to making more spongy pancakes?

This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on the web,
if you'd shown some initiative.

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

Andy

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.
Old 20-07-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

Maybe you need a recipe that has more baking powder in it- that would
make them lighter.

Old 20-07-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

CM said...

Andy wrote:
CM said...

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is
the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
the web, if you'd shown some initiative.

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

Andy

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

Have a nice day. Ya BUM!!!!!!

Andy
Old 20-07-2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

CM wrote:
Andy wrote:
CM said...

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup
but whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey".
What is the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
the web, if you'd shown some initiative.

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

Andy

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

You didn't ask what makes pancakes spongy... you asked HOW do you make
spongy pancakes.

Old 20-07-2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

CM wrote:
Andy wrote:

CM said...

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup
but whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What
is the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
the web, if you'd shown some initiative.

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

Andy

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

The whole secret to spongy pancakes is the use of buttermilk and baking
soda. The reaction between the two makes bubbles and lightens up your
pancakes. Same sort of deal you get with sourdough pancakes. It's all
about chemistry.

George

Old 20-07-2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:34:35 -0700, CM wrote:

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

Seems to me you're the ass. Can't you look at the recipe and figure
out what YOU are NOT putting in your recipe? I'd suggest adding a bit
of Elmer's Glue to your batter, just enough to plug up your...
nevermind. :/

--
Zilbandy
Old 20-07-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 20, 1:57 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
CM wrote:
Andy wrote:
CM said...

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup
but whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey".
What is the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
the web, if you'd shown some initiative.

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

Andy

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

You didn't ask what makes pancakes spongy... you asked HOW do you make
spongy pancakes.- Hide quoted text -

No, he asked "what is the secret to making more spongey pancakes".
That's not really "how", I took it as what is the chemistry behind
spongier pancakes vs. denser pancakes.
It's a legitimate question.

He wasn't looking for a copy cat recipe (though that's probably not a
bad way to answer it). One could put the copy cat recipe for ihop next
to the poster's recipe for pancakes to see what the differences are. I
guess that's a way to answer the question. But it's not really
dependant on the poster's recipe. It was more of a general question.

There is chemistry to food. Baking powder vs baking soda, one makes
foods rise, the other makes it spread, I forget which is which. Some
well known examples are Butter makes a tender pie crust, shortening
makes a flaky crust. Butter yilds a tender, cakey cookie, while
shortening yields a crispier one. Oil makes a denser coffee cake or
carrot cake than butter and sour cream makes a moister cake than
either.

So I took the poster's question to be more of a food chemistry
question than a recipe question.

I would think (though this is just a guess) that there's more fat in
ihop's pancakes than a standard at home recipe. thinking about how
ciabatta, an italian bread with a lot of olive oil in the dough, is
spongier and airier than for example, french bread, which has no fat
and has a tighter crumb. It's the oil in the ciabatta that makes it
that way. Pizza dough, same thing. Very thin crust pizza has virtually
no oil in the dough, thicker crusted pizzas have a spongier dough,
those have a lot of oil in the dough.

Southern style biscuits, which are closer to pancakes as far as the
dough goes, are fluffiest when there is more fat and a light touch on
the kneading. So that's my thought.

I think the secret to fluffy, spongier pancakes is a higher fat to
flour ratio and mixing just until combined.

Old 20-07-2007, 07:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
On Jul 20, 1:57 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
CM wrote:
Andy wrote:
CM said...

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup
but whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey".
What is the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere
on the web, if you'd shown some initiative.

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

Andy

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes
pancakes spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a
complete ass.

You didn't ask what makes pancakes spongy... you asked HOW do you
make spongy pancakes.- Hide quoted text -

No, he asked "what is the secret to making more spongey pancakes".
That's not really "how", I took it as what is the chemistry behind
spongier pancakes vs. denser pancakes.
It's a legitimate question.

How about you learn how to read for comprehension: HOW DO YOU MAKE SPONGY
PANCAKES? It's the subject line. Sheesh. When does school start up again?

Jill

Old 20-07-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 20, 2:06 pm, George Shirley wrote:
CM wrote:
Andy wrote:

CM said...

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup
but whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What
is the secret to making more spongy pancakes?

This seems to be the copycat recipe you could've found everywhere on
the web, if you'd shown some initiative.

http://tinyurl.com/3d2mms

Andy

I wasn't asking for a copycat recipe. I was asking what makes pancakes
spongy as opposed to cake-like. But thanks for being a complete ass.

The whole secret to spongy pancakes is the use of buttermilk and baking
soda. The reaction between the two makes bubbles and lightens up your
pancakes. Same sort of deal you get with sourdough pancakes. It's all
about chemistry.

George- Hide quoted text -

give the man a cigar for --

1. being correct
2. answering the original poster's question
3. not being a smart ass in the process...

...fred

Old 20-07-2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-20, George Shirley wrote:

The whole secret to spongy pancakes is the use of buttermilk and baking
soda. The reaction between the two makes bubbles and lightens up your
pancakes.

Yes, it's that simple. Buttermilk and baking soda will make the
most dense caky pancakes beautifully light and lacy. Gar-own-tee!

nb
Old 20-07-2007, 08:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om, CM
wrote:

I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
secret to making more spongy pancakes?

You need some leavening, like baking powder or baking soda:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leavening_agent

"A leavening agent (sometimes called just leavening or leaven) is a substance
used in doughs and batters that causes a foaming action. The leavening agent
reacts with moisture, heat, acidity, or other triggers to produce gas that
becomes trapped as bubbles within the dough. When a dough or batter is baked,
it 'sets' and the holes left by the gas bubbles remain, giving breads, cakes,
and other baked goods their soft, sponge-like textures."

HTH!