Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Margaret: NYC steaming

Margaret,

Speak to us about the steampipe break on 42nd St.???

The TV talking heads are putting all kinds of spin on the issue.

The mayor didn't do a very good job either at a press conference.

Are you familiar?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> Margaret,
>
> Speak to us about the steampipe break on 42nd St.???
>
> The TV talking heads are putting all kinds of spin on the issue.
>
> The mayor didn't do a very good job either at a press conference.

LOL!!!

"If there *was* asbestos in there, due to all the water and steam, it'd be
washed away."

Where? To somewhere where the water will dry, and leave the asbestos dust
to be blown back into circulation?

Or...... if it was taken away in the steam, it's *still* going to be in the
atmosphere!!

Bloody politicians........ you can tell when one of the *******s is
lying........ His lips are moving.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Margaret,
>
> Speak to us about the steampipe break on 42nd St.???
>
> The TV talking heads are putting all kinds of spin on the issue.
>
> The mayor didn't do a very good job either at a press conference.
>
> Are you familiar?
>
> Andy

Good Old Con Edison, not checking out Steam Pipes that were installed
ninety years ago. One blew yesterday, at the height of the afternoon
rush hour.

So far, one fatality, two seriously injured and about twenty lesser
injuries. Lots of street closings and subways skipping stations. Grand
Central is not open for normal entry and exit, but you can get in and
out through 47th Street (if you find the passage), as the trains are
running.

I will stay away from the Midtown East Side until I know I will not get
stuck there, if traffic gets too heavy.

Thank you for asking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas said...

> Andy <q> wrote in :
>
>> Margaret,
>>
>> Speak to us about the steampipe break on 42nd St.???
>>
>> The TV talking heads are putting all kinds of spin on the issue.
>>
>> The mayor didn't do a very good job either at a press conference.
>>

> LOL!!!
>
> "If there *was* asbestos in there, due to all the water and steam, it'd
> be washed away."
>
> Where? To somewhere where the water will dry, and leave the asbestos
> dust to be blown back into circulation?
>
> Or...... if it was taken away in the steam, it's *still* going to be in
> the atmosphere!!
>

> Bloody politicians........ you can tell when one of the *******s is
> lying........ His lips are moving.

Geez... Peter,

You're not even a TV talking head but, if there was a "Who wants to be the
next talking head" contest, you'd almost definitely win!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> PeterLucas said...
>
>> Andy <q> wrote in :
>>
>>> Margaret,
>>>
>>> Speak to us about the steampipe break on 42nd St.???
>>>
>>> The TV talking heads are putting all kinds of spin on the issue.
>>>
>>> The mayor didn't do a very good job either at a press conference.
>>>

>> LOL!!!
>>
>> "If there *was* asbestos in there, due to all the water and steam,
>> it'd be washed away."
>>
>> Where? To somewhere where the water will dry, and leave the asbestos
>> dust to be blown back into circulation?
>>
>> Or...... if it was taken away in the steam, it's *still* going to be
>> in the atmosphere!!
>>

>> Bloody politicians........ you can tell when one of the *******s is
>> lying........ His lips are moving.

> Geez... Peter,
>
> You're not even a TV talking head but, if there was a "Who wants to be
> the next talking head" contest, you'd almost definitely win!

Not at all.

Just looked at the facts.

Steam pipes laid more than 50 years ago. Insulation?? Asbestos.

Explosion.

Steam, lots of it, water, lots of it.

Where does the asbestos go?

In case you're not up on it, we have had a massive case over here with the
James Hardie company being sued because of their (knowing) use of asbestos.

Hardie lost......... *big time*.

The NY mayor is blowing smoke up peoples arses if he expects them all to
believe that there is no danger from asbestos poisoning.

(Not that he really gives a rats......... it takes about 30 years to kill
you.)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Margaret,
>>
>> Speak to us about the steampipe break on 42nd St.???
>>
>> The TV talking heads are putting all kinds of spin on the issue.
>>
>> The mayor didn't do a very good job either at a press conference.
>>
>> Are you familiar?
>>
>> Andy

> Good Old Con Edison, not checking out Steam Pipes that were installed
> ninety years ago. One blew yesterday, at the height of the afternoon
> rush hour.
>
> So far, one fatality, two seriously injured and about twenty lesser
> injuries. Lots of street closings and subways skipping stations. Grand
> Central is not open for normal entry and exit, but you can get in and
> out through 47th Street (if you find the passage), as the trains are
> running.
>
> I will stay away from the Midtown East Side until I know I will not get
> stuck there, if traffic gets too heavy.
>
> Thank you for asking.

Much appreciated! Sorry about the loss of life and injured folks!

47th Street/Grand Central entrance, that would be the Pan Am building,
right?? 47th and Park Ave., through the lobby, down the escalator!! I had a
time of my life in the Pan Am building, another time perhaps. )

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas said...

> The NY mayor is blowing smoke up peoples arses if he expects them all to
> believe that there is no danger from asbestos poisoning.
>
> (Not that he really gives a rats......... it takes about 30 years to kill
> you.)

You're SO in the know, ya BUM!!!

I don't need 30 years, breathing arsenic only takes about 10 to destry the
CNS.

Beat ya!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:22:17 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
wrote:

>Andy <q> wrote in :
>
>> Margaret,
>>
>> Speak to us about the steampipe break on 42nd St.???
>>
>> The TV talking heads are putting all kinds of spin on the issue.
>>
>> The mayor didn't do a very good job either at a press conference.
>>

>LOL!!!
>
>"If there *was* asbestos in there, due to all the water and steam, it'd be
>washed away."
>
>Where? To somewhere where the water will dry, and leave the asbestos dust
>to be blown back into circulation?
>
>Or...... if it was taken away in the steam, it's *still* going to be in the
>atmosphere!!
>

>Bloody politicians........ you can tell when one of the *******s is
>lying........ His lips are moving.

There is no reason to think Mayor Bloomberg was lying. He was quite
frank about what was happening and seemed to be disseminating
information as it came in or changed with new understanding.

It is quite simple to follow the progress of this story yourself, of
course, and get information online at any of a dozen NYC news sites.

These two are good:
http://www.nytimes.com/
http://www.ny1.com/ny1/index.jsp

Air and particulate matter reports came out this morning, there was no
asbestos in the air, but there was some in debris and dust. Even last
night, precautions were taken for the responders as it is not uncommon
for asbestos to have been used in insulating these pipes.

And last night those in the areas were being advised to bathe
carefully and seal the clothing they were wearing in plastic bags or
to clean them separately. Those who live there were also told to keep
windows closed and run air conditioning on "circulate."

You may not realize the force of the blast the rupture caused. A large
part of the street is missing, the hole swallowed a tow truck,
immediately surrounding buildings have dust/debris residue on them,
according to one report I heard, up to 15-20 stories in the air, with
most of the lower floors having lost windows.

AND it all happened at the peak of rush hour, just outside Grand
Central, a major commutation hub. It could have been much worse. The
one fatality was due to a heart attack, although there were burns and
injuries reported in others.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:16:51 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>margaret suran > dropped this turd
nk.net: in
>rec.food.cooking
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Margaret,
>>>
>>> Speak to us about the steampipe break on 42nd St.???
>>>
>>> The TV talking heads are putting all kinds of spin on the issue.
>>>
>>> The mayor didn't do a very good job either at a press conference.
>>>
>>> Are you familiar?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Good Old Con Edison, not checking out Steam Pipes that were installed
>> ninety years ago. One blew yesterday, at the height of the afternoon
>> rush hour.
>>
>> So far, one fatality, two seriously injured and about twenty lesser
>> injuries. Lots of street closings and subways skipping stations.

>Grand
>> Central is not open for normal entry and exit, but you can get in and
>> out through 47th Street (if you find the passage), as the trains are
>> running.
>>
>> I will stay away from the Midtown East Side until I know I will not get
>> stuck there, if traffic gets too heavy.
>>
>> Thank you for asking.

>Stay away from it Margaret. As much as I enjoy Midtown East you would
>not catch me near the area. Some friends of mine own a small liquor
>store around the 42nd and Lexington intersection and they say the entire
>area is a madhouse.

SIL is around 23rd and Lexington.... I wonder if the madness has crept
her way? Better call and find out!

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:22:17 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
> wrote:
>
>> Andy <q> wrote in :
>>
>>> Margaret,
>>>
>>> Speak to us about the steampipe break on 42nd St.???
>>>
>>> The TV talking heads are putting all kinds of spin on the issue.
>>>
>>> The mayor didn't do a very good job either at a press conference.
>>>

>> LOL!!!
>>
>> "If there *was* asbestos in there, due to all the water and steam, it'd be
>> washed away."
>>
>> Where? To somewhere where the water will dry, and leave the asbestos dust
>> to be blown back into circulation?
>>
>> Or...... if it was taken away in the steam, it's *still* going to be in the
>> atmosphere!!
>>

>> Bloody politicians........ you can tell when one of the *******s is
>> lying........ His lips are moving.

> There is no reason to think Mayor Bloomberg was lying. He was quite
> frank about what was happening and seemed to be disseminating
> information as it came in or changed with new understanding.
>
> It is quite simple to follow the progress of this story yourself, of
> course, and get information online at any of a dozen NYC news sites.
>
> These two are good:
> http://www.nytimes.com/
> http://www.ny1.com/ny1/index.jsp
>
> Air and particulate matter reports came out this morning, there was no
> asbestos in the air, but there was some in debris and dust. Even last
> night, precautions were taken for the responders as it is not uncommon
> for asbestos to have been used in insulating these pipes.
>
> And last night those in the areas were being advised to bathe
> carefully and seal the clothing they were wearing in plastic bags or
> to clean them separately. Those who live there were also told to keep
> windows closed and run air conditioning on "circulate."
>
> You may not realize the force of the blast the rupture caused. A large
> part of the street is missing, the hole swallowed a tow truck,
> immediately surrounding buildings have dust/debris residue on them,
> according to one report I heard, up to 15-20 stories in the air, with
> most of the lower floors having lost windows.
>
> AND it all happened at the peak of rush hour, just outside Grand
> Central, a major commutation hub. It could have been much worse. The
> one fatality was due to a heart attack, although there were burns and
> injuries reported in others.
>
> Boron

Thank you! I am glad to see that you did this for me. Thank you and
love, M

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:14:35 GMT, margaret suran
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:

>> AND it all happened at the peak of rush hour, just outside Grand
>> Central, a major commutation hub. It could have been much worse. The
>> one fatality was due to a heart attack, although there were burns and
>> injuries reported in others.
>>
>> Boron
>>

>Thank you! I am glad to see that you did this for me. Thank you and
>love, M

For you, Margaret, I would try to move heaven and earth.

Miss you. Many hugs.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar said...

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:14:35 GMT, margaret suran
> > wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> AND it all happened at the peak of rush hour, just outside Grand
>>> Central, a major commutation hub. It could have been much worse. The
>>> one fatality was due to a heart attack, although there were burns and
>>> injuries reported in others.
>>>
>>> Boron
>>>

>>Thank you! I am glad to see that you did this for me. Thank you and
>>love, M

> For you, Margaret, I would try to move heaven and earth.
>
> Miss you. Many hugs.
>
> Boron

And I'll stop all the interstellar traffic while you're at it! )

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> AND it all happened at the peak of rush hour, just outside Grand
> Central, a major commutation hub.

<snip>

Commutation hub?

Yes, it is contextually correct. But given political events of late, it
sounds peculiar

PING: Margaret Kate Connally General Cooking 5 28-09-2007 03:05 AM
PING: Margaret: Thanks!!! Andy[_2_] General Cooking 9 30-07-2007 06:54 PM
Ping: Yoo Hoo, Margaret....... Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 1 20-12-2006 03:51 AM
PING: MARGARET Andy General Cooking 4 16-12-2005 09:39 AM
PING: Margaret Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 19-08-2005 10:26 PM