Barry Brindisi

Default Microwave Cooking Question

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
what is a good book on Microwave Cooking? I got a great 1000 watt
microwave oven and want to use it for cooking and I'm not talking frozen
dinners and canned soups.

I am single and want to expand my cooking to more than just canned soup,
canned pasta and frozen dinners and basic pasta. Yes, I do have an oven.
It is an old one with a metal rod hanging from the roof of the oven. I
was told it is some kind of tempature rod that measure the heat in the
oven. The other thing is, every time I cook a frozen dinner in that
oven, the tray would warp. That is in spite of the fact that I had the
oven tempature set to 350. It is for these reason that I want to move
over to the Microwave. By the way, I'm renting so I don't have a choice
in regards to the oven.

I'd appreciate any input as to what I can do with the Microwave. I'm
not looking to do gourmet; at least not until I get a handle on general
cooking.

Sincerely,

Barry Brindisi

Gar

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:13:03 GMT, Barry Brindisi
> wrote:

>Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
>what is a good book on Microwave Cooking?

Go to any resale store. You'll find loads of microwave cookbooks
there for next to nothing. Wonder why?

OR

Read here for a few months. You'll never look back. Microwaves are
for heating, not for cooking.

Gar
Nancy Young

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> I would never cook meat in the microwave oven (from a raw state),

I couldn't agree with you more, there.

nancy
Hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
>> I would never cook meat in the microwave oven (from a raw state),

> I couldn't agree with you more, there.
>
> nancy

Before I got a small rice cooker, I used my microwave to cook rice. I did a
good job and no pot to wash I served from the microwave safe plastic
container. Microwaves are also good for cooking veggies like corn nibblets
etc, peas, french cut green beans and I've heard they cook squah nicely
too..

Louis Cohen

Microwave cooking is pretty much like steaming in many respects - look for a
steamed fish recipe or vegetable recipe and try it in the microwave.

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Barry Brindisi" > wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
> what is a good book on Microwave Cooking? I got a great 1000 watt
> microwave oven and want to use it for cooking and I'm not talking frozen
> dinners and canned soups.
>
> I am single and want to expand my cooking to more than just canned soup,
> canned pasta and frozen dinners and basic pasta. Yes, I do have an oven.
> It is an old one with a metal rod hanging from the roof of the oven. I
> was told it is some kind of tempature rod that measure the heat in the
> oven. The other thing is, every time I cook a frozen dinner in that
> oven, the tray would warp. That is in spite of the fact that I had the
> oven tempature set to 350. It is for these reason that I want to move
> over to the Microwave. By the way, I'm renting so I don't have a choice
> in regards to the oven.
>
> I'd appreciate any input as to what I can do with the Microwave. I'm
> not looking to do gourmet; at least not until I get a handle on general
> cooking.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Barry Brindisi

Louis Cohen

Please tell me about cooking rice in the microwave. Usual 2:1 water to
rice? How many minutes? Cook partway and stir, then cook some more? Or
cook all the way through in one shot?

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
. 1...
> Nancy Young > wrote in
> :
>
> > Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> >
> >> I would never cook meat in the microwave oven (from a raw state),

> > I couldn't agree with you more, there.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Before I got a small rice cooker, I used my microwave to cook rice. I did

> good job and no pot to wash I served from the microwave safe plastic
> container. Microwaves are also good for cooking veggies like corn nibblets
> etc, peas, french cut green beans and I've heard they cook squah nicely
> too..

Herself

Barry Brindisi > wrote:

> Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
> what is a good book on Microwave Cooking? I got a great 1000 watt
> microwave oven and want to use it for cooking and I'm not talking frozen
> dinners and canned soups.

Microwave Gourmet by Barbara Kafka is an excellent cookbook. We've had
great results, and things get done faster and with less cleanup. The
Chicken Paprikas recipe is really nice...
--
'Tis Herself
Charles Gifford

"Herself" > wrote in message
> Barry Brindisi > wrote:
>
> > Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
> > what is a good book on Microwave Cooking? I got a great 1000 watt
> > microwave oven and want to use it for cooking and I'm not talking frozen
> > dinners and canned soups.

> Microwave Gourmet by Barbara Kafka is an excellent cookbook. We've had
> great results, and things get done faster and with less cleanup. The
> Chicken Paprikas recipe is really nice...
> --
> 'Tis Herself

I agree. This is an excellent book. Don't listen to the nay-sayers,
microwave cooking is very good. In Kafka's book you will find the best and
easiest way to make risotto and poach chicken as well as many other jobs.
The best pork roast I've ever had I made in a microwave. People who poo-poo
microwaves usually have never given it a knowledgeable try.

Charlie

Frogleg

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:13:03 GMT, Barry Brindisi
> wrote:

>Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
>what is a good book on Microwave Cooking? I got a great 1000 watt
>microwave oven and want to use it for cooking and I'm not talking frozen
>dinners and canned soups.

As others have said, I don't use my m'wave so much for *cooking* as
heating, melting, steaming, warming, etc. In fact, I would say I don't
use it for much. Until, that is, it breaks. All of a sudden, I realize
how many things I *do* use it for. It is, alas, no substitute for an
oven. And until you do some experimentation, you will have to be very
careful with cooking times given in any recipe books. There are
bezillions of m'wave cookbooks out there. Because I like many Sunset
cookbooks, I looked to see if they had a m'wave one. It's out of
print, and probably technically out of date, but most Sunset recipes
are pretty good and easy. (Check Amazon for used/bargain copies.)

Hahabogus

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in
. net:

> Please tell me about cooking rice in the microwave. Usual 2:1 water to
> rice? How many minutes? Cook partway and stir, then cook some more? Or
> cook all the way through in one shot?

Well cooking rice is a kinda learn/improve as you go along. I put the 2:1
mixture and a little salt in microwave safe container and stir well before
putting it in the microwave (no lid needed). And nuke for 18 minutes on
high. Fluff rice after finished cooking. But that's my microwave and my
quantities, yours may vary. This was for a coffee mug of Uncle Ben's
converted (par boiled) rice and 2 coffee mugs of water or chicken stock at
room temp (about enough rice for a side for 4 people). My guess is the
coffee mug is 12 oz.

My rice cooker takes about the same time to cook 1 cup raw rice, but is
more versatile. Either way you get reasonable tasting rice without paying
attention to it and freeing up a burnner.
Gar

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 02:05:13 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

>I disagree with that statement. it's not good for cooking everything, but
>some things, it does well.

We can disagree. I answered the OP with what I believe was good
advice. For a few bucks you can purchase a whole armload of microwave
books. I still wonder why nobody wants to hang onto their old
microwave cookbooks? But can we at least agree that Rosen's buns are
the best place to slide an all beef wiener? <eg>

>Microwaves are great for steaming anything in it's own juices. Vegetables
>that are microwaved give the texture of boiled or blanched, without losing
>the flavor or nutrients. When I cook veggies, it's either nuked or roasted.
>I never cook veggies in water anymore. (unless I'm making soup or using the
>liquid in something else) Rice is done perfectly in a microwave oven.

Veggies and rice hardly constitute much versatility as a means of
quality cooking. I've used the nukker for veggies and I didn't care
for them. The former Ladygar loved her little microwave veggie
steamer so she'd nuke her veggies and I'd steam mine with the
scalloped thingie that fits in a pot. Microwaved veggies get mushy
IMO.

>I would never cook meat in the microwave oven (from a raw state), you are
>right, when it comes to meats, the mw is best used to reheat. And there is
>no advantage to using it for dried pasta from a raw state, as that quantity
>of water takes longer to nuke than to boil on the stove.

On this we agree.

The OP struck home with a place I was in life about 10 years ago. I
had no stove, just a microwave. Like the OP, I felt I needed to
"broaden my horizons." Those who have attended cook-ins at both my
homes know that I have quite a cooking arsenal today. I didn't learn
how to cook in a microwave. It's the same principal I was taught the
electrical trade. You gotta learn how to do it right before you can
effectivly use shortcuts.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Gar

Gar

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:49:41 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>The best pork roast I've ever had I made in a microwave.

GASP!!!!!

>People who poo-poo
>microwaves usually have never given it a knowledgeable try.

I'm glad you said usually <g>

Gar
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:24:41 -0500, Gar <> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:13:03 GMT, Barry Brindisi
> wrote:
>
>>Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
>>what is a good book on Microwave Cooking?

>Go to any resale store. You'll find loads of microwave cookbooks
>there for next to nothing. Wonder why?
>
>OR
>
>Read here for a few months. You'll never look back. Microwaves are
>for heating, not for cooking.

Try Barbara Kafka's "Microwave Gourmet." It may be out of print and
microwaves had somewhat less power when it was written than they do
now. But, you can try various things and decide for yourself if you
like them, without starting a long trial and error process for each
one.

There are things you can cook in a microwave. For example, when I am
making clam soup I zap the clams separately and add the liquid to the
pot on the burner, leaving grit behind in the microwave dish.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again
Peter Aitken

"Barry Brindisi" > wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
> what is a good book on Microwave Cooking? I got a great 1000 watt
> microwave oven and want to use it for cooking and I'm not talking frozen
> dinners and canned soups.
>
> I am single and want to expand my cooking to more than just canned soup,
> canned pasta and frozen dinners and basic pasta. Yes, I do have an oven.
> It is an old one with a metal rod hanging from the roof of the oven. I
> was told it is some kind of tempature rod that measure the heat in the
> oven. The other thing is, every time I cook a frozen dinner in that
> oven, the tray would warp. That is in spite of the fact that I had the
> oven tempature set to 350. It is for these reason that I want to move
> over to the Microwave. By the way, I'm renting so I don't have a choice
> in regards to the oven.
>
> I'd appreciate any input as to what I can do with the Microwave. I'm
> not looking to do gourmet; at least not until I get a handle on general
> cooking.

The Microwave Gourmet by Barbara Kafka. It was the first, or one of the
first, books to take the MW seriously as a cooking tool. It has both the
basics for cooking veg, rice, etc etc as well as a lot of recipes. Wisely,
it stays away from things that the MW is not good at, such as roasting
meats. You may have to find a used copy.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> in article , Gar at Gar wrote on
> 10/13/03 9:24 PM:
>
> > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:13:03 GMT, Barry Brindisi
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
> >> what is a good book on Microwave Cooking?

> > Go to any resale store. You'll find loads of microwave cookbooks
> > there for next to nothing. Wonder why?
> >
> > OR
> >
> > Read here for a few months. You'll never look back. Microwaves are
> > for heating, not for cooking.
> >
> > Gar

> I disagree with that statement. it's not good for cooking everything, but
> some things, it does well.
>
> Microwaves are great for steaming anything in it's own juices. Vegetables
> that are microwaved give the texture of boiled or blanched, without losing
> the flavor or nutrients. When I cook veggies, it's either nuked or

roasted.
> I never cook veggies in water anymore. (unless I'm making soup or using

the
> liquid in something else) Rice is done perfectly in a microwave oven.
>
> I would never cook meat in the microwave oven (from a raw state), you are
> right, when it comes to meats, the mw is best used to reheat. And there

is
> no advantage to using it for dried pasta from a raw state, as that

quantity
> of water takes longer to nuke than to boil on the stove.

Sheryl is 100% correct. There are many things you would not want to use it
for, but if you understand its strengths and limitations you can get a lot
of use out of it for cooking as well as releating. Polenta and risotto are
just two things that the MW is ideal for.

--
Peter Aitken

Barry Brindisi

Funny to hear about chicken; since that is one of the things I wanted to
find out about.

I do agree that one should respect the strength and limitation of their
microwave oven.

Other things I'd like to do is pasta ala lasangna & etc. Yes, the
meat has to be done on a stove. The stove part works fine.

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Barry Brindisi" > wrote in message
>
>>Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
>>what is a good book on Microwave Cooking? I got a great 1000 watt
>>microwave oven and want to use it for cooking and I'm not talking frozen
>>dinners and canned soups.
>>
>>I am single and want to expand my cooking to more than just canned soup,
>>canned pasta and frozen dinners and basic pasta. Yes, I do have an oven.
>> It is an old one with a metal rod hanging from the roof of the oven. I
>>was told it is some kind of tempature rod that measure the heat in the
>>oven. The other thing is, every time I cook a frozen dinner in that
>>oven, the tray would warp. That is in spite of the fact that I had the
>>oven tempature set to 350. It is for these reason that I want to move
>>over to the Microwave. By the way, I'm renting so I don't have a choice
>> in regards to the oven.
>>
>>I'd appreciate any input as to what I can do with the Microwave. I'm
>>not looking to do gourmet; at least not until I get a handle on general
>>cooking.
>>

> The Microwave Gourmet by Barbara Kafka. It was the first, or one of the
> first, books to take the MW seriously as a cooking tool. It has both the
> basics for cooking veg, rice, etc etc as well as a lot of recipes. Wisely,
> it stays away from things that the MW is not good at, such as roasting
> meats. You may have to find a used copy.

Carmen Dioxide

Sheryl Rosen > wrote > Microwaves are great
for >steaming anything in it's own juices.

Cooking at medium power is always something I'd recommend when
"cooking" in a microwave. I do all my "poached" fish in the micro and
it's great. Never had any luck with any other meats. They all come
out like shoes with a nasty dried up rind around the edge. Even
re-heating some dishes, meat dishes in particular doesn't always give
a very favorable result, so the person who said it's only good for
reheating is wrong as well on many levels. I stil use my micro more
than my stove--especially in summer---for quick fish and veg meals. I
can't understand the concept of attempting to "roast" meats in it. You
can't get dry heat in a basic micro. Some people cook eggs in the
thing, and some cook pasta in it but that's very loony to me.

Barry Brindisi > wrote:

> Other things I'd like to do is pasta ala lasangna & etc. Yes, the
> meat has to be done on a stove. The stove part works fine.

Pasta has some problems cooking evenly in a
microwave. I have had good results with meatloaf.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Dan Abel

In article >, Barry Brindisi
> wrote:

> Funny to hear about chicken; since that is one of the things I wanted to
> find out about.

I saw (and tasted) a good recipe for a whole chicken. The chicken was
cooked in a plastic bag, and the cook used paprika to fool you into
thinking that it had been browned.

> Other things I'd like to do is pasta ala lasangna & etc. Yes, the
> meat has to be done on a stove. The stove part works fine.

I've successfully cooked hamburger in the microwave many times. You just
need to take it out and break up the meat every few seconds. It saves
washing a pan, but doesn't really save any time or energy.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Nancy Young

Barry Brindisi wrote:

> Funny to hear about chicken; since that is one of the things I wanted to
> find out about.

Raw chicken in a microwave is enough to make me hurl, what a stench.

nancy
Gregory Morrow

Barry Brindisi wrote:

> Funny to hear about chicken; since that is one of the things I wanted to
> find out about.

I cook boneless skinless chix breast in the MW all the time (just for
myself, not for entertaining)...especially good when I want to use the
chicken breast in something like a sandwich....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Nancy Young wrote:

> Barry Brindisi wrote:
> >
> > Funny to hear about chicken; since that is one of the things I wanted to
> > find out about.

> Raw chicken in a microwave is enough to make me hurl, what a stench.

Raw chicken gives me the creeps, however it is being cooked...I gladly
handle red meat, fish, etc. but I actually wear rubber gloves (and have the
peroxide spray bottle out and going) when I have to handle raw chicken....

--
Best
Greg

Bob Pastorio

Carmen Dioxide wrote:

> Sheryl Rosen > wrote > Microwaves are great
> for >steaming anything in it's own juices.
>
> Cooking at medium power is always something I'd recommend when
> "cooking" in a microwave. I do all my "poached" fish in the micro and
> it's great. Never had any luck with any other meats. They all come
> out like shoes with a nasty dried up rind around the edge. Even
> re-heating some dishes, meat dishes in particular doesn't always give
> a very favorable result, so the person who said it's only good for
> reheating is wrong as well on many levels. I stil use my micro more
> than my stove--especially in summer---for quick fish and veg meals. I
> can't understand the concept of attempting to "roast" meats in it. You
> can't get dry heat in a basic micro. Some people cook eggs in the
> thing, and some cook pasta in it but that's very loony to me.

Wanna reheat meats? Like a slice of prime rib or a slab of roast beef?
Shhh. Restaurant secret. Put the meat on a mike-safe plate. Get two
lettuce leaves and drape them over the meat. Depending on your mike,
it'll take from 30 seconds to a minute and a half to reheat an 8-ounce
steak. Check often until you get the feel for it.

Pastorio

Vox Humana

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
> > I would never cook meat in the microwave oven (from a raw state),

> I couldn't agree with you more, there.
>
> nancy

I agree that a standard MW is a poor choice for meat and most baked good. I
got a convection/microwave a few months ago, and I use it for most of my
baking and roasting. Now I only use the convection oven in my range for
large items. I have found that the combination setting in the
convection/microwave is very good for meat. It adds 30% microwave power
(the microwave output is 850 watts) along with the convection heat. You get
a nice brown crust on the meat and the interior remains moist and juicy.
You don't have to pre-heat the oven and the total roasting time is reduced
by about half. It also does a great job on double crust fruit pies and
other baked goods that need more than 20 minutes. You can also use it as a
standard convection oven. I would never buy another standard MW oven again.

Steve Calvin

Bob Pastorio wrote:
<snip>

> Wanna reheat meats? Like a slice of prime rib or a slab of roast beef?
> Shhh. Restaurant secret. Put the meat on a mike-safe plate. Get two
> lettuce leaves and drape them over the meat. Depending on your mike,
> it'll take from 30 seconds to a minute and a half to reheat an 8-ounce
> steak. Check often until you get the feel for it.
>
> Pastorio

ok, but what's with the lettuce Bob?

--
Steve

Pan Ohco

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 05:09:05 GMT, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

>Please tell me about cooking rice in the microwave. Usual 2:1 water to
>rice? How many minutes? Cook partway and stir, then cook some more? Or
>cook all the way through in one shot?

Water/Rice 2/1& cover.
5 min. on full power
15 min 1/2 power

This works for me.

With sushi, after cooking as above, remove cover put a cloth over top
of rice, recover and let steam 15 more min.Then add viniger,sugar,and
salt.

Pan Ohco

Steve Calvin

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

<snip>
>>ok, but what's with the lettuce Bob?

> adds moisture to the oven, to make steam.
> Also, acts as a cover for the meat, to keep heat/steam in, prevent drying
> out of the meat.
>
> sorta like covering it with a damp paper towel.

I'll buy that Sheryl. I should have thought of it actually.

--
Steve

Bob Pastorio

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Bob Pastorio wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Wanna reheat meats? Like a slice of prime rib or a slab of roast beef?
>> Shhh. Restaurant secret. Put the meat on a mike-safe plate. Get two
>> lettuce leaves and drape them over the meat. Depending on your mike,
>> it'll take from 30 seconds to a minute and a half to reheat an 8-ounce
>> steak. Check often until you get the feel for it.
>>
>> Pastorio

> ok, but what's with the lettuce Bob?

You put the lettuce over the meat to absorb microwaves. They don't
reach the meat and toughen it. Or overcook it. The heating comes up
from under the meat, heating the bottom. Simultaneously, the lettuce
gets hot and transfers some heat to the top surface of the meat.

It's protective.

Pastorio

Steve Calvin

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Bob Pastorio wrote:
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Wanna reheat meats? Like a slice of prime rib or a slab of roast
>>> beef? Shhh. Restaurant secret. Put the meat on a mike-safe plate. Get
>>> two lettuce leaves and drape them over the meat. Depending on your
>>> mike, it'll take from 30 seconds to a minute and a half to reheat an
>>> 8-ounce steak. Check often until you get the feel for it.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> ok, but what's with the lettuce Bob?

> You put the lettuce over the meat to absorb microwaves. They don't reach
> the meat and toughen it. Or overcook it. The heating comes up from under
> the meat, heating the bottom. Simultaneously, the lettuce gets hot and
> transfers some heat to the top surface of the meat.
>
> It's protective.
>
> Pastorio

I'll give it a try. If we ever have any leftovers.

--
Steve

Louis Cohen

It sounds as if the MW is slightly less convenient than a rice cooker (you
have to restart on medium after 5 minutes on high), but doesn't have to be
taken out of the cabinet.

So it's about a toss-up vs rice cooker and ahead of the stove.

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
. 1...
> "Louis Cohen" > wrote in
> . net:
>
> > Please tell me about cooking rice in the microwave. Usual 2:1 water to
> > rice? How many minutes? Cook partway and stir, then cook some more?

Or
> > cook all the way through in one shot?
> >

> Well cooking rice is a kinda learn/improve as you go along. I put the 2:1
> mixture and a little salt in microwave safe container and stir well before
> putting it in the microwave (no lid needed). And nuke for 18 minutes on
> high. Fluff rice after finished cooking. But that's my microwave and my
> quantities, yours may vary. This was for a coffee mug of Uncle Ben's
> converted (par boiled) rice and 2 coffee mugs of water or chicken stock at
> room temp (about enough rice for a side for 4 people). My guess is the
> coffee mug is 12 oz.
>
> My rice cooker takes about the same time to cook 1 cup raw rice, but is
> more versatile. Either way you get reasonable tasting rice without paying
> attention to it and freeing up a burnner.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
> > I would never cook meat in the microwave oven (from a raw state),

> I couldn't agree with you more, there.
>
> nancy

About 15 years ago we decided to buy a mw after seeing how one can cook a
turkey. And have the skin browned.

The store gave a "free" three night class for new buyers. About 10 of us
went to them and it was amazing. The last night we cooked a full dinner,
including a roast beef. The beef was cooked on the outside and pink on the
inside, not the gray meat often associated with mw cooking.

The outside was rubbed with spices and a little Kitchen Bouquet, it was
started out on high, then to medium, then to low. If I hadn't seen it and
ate it, I would not have believed it. While not my favorite cooking method
for beef, it can be done in a very acceptable manner.
Ed

Ospama Bin Mailin

"Barry Brindisi" > wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the place to ask, but can someone please tell me
> what is a good book on Microwave Cooking?

My last microwave came with a book. I got another from one of those
Book-of-the-Month type clubs...

--

And now, a word from our sponsor...
http://tinyurl.com/n8th

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Gar at Gar wrote on
10/14/03 10:21 AM:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 02:05:13 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> > wrote:
>
>> I disagree with that statement. it's not good for cooking everything, but
>> some things, it does well.

> We can disagree. I answered the OP with what I believe was good
> advice. For a few bucks you can purchase a whole armload of microwave
> books. I still wonder why nobody wants to hang onto their old
> microwave cookbooks?

I wasn't arguing with you, just disagreeing! It was basically good advice.

> But can we at least agree that Rosen's buns are
> the best place to slide an all beef wiener? <eg>

Oh, without any question! S.Rosen's buns are in fact, the best! (gotta have
poppy seeds!) Can't think of a better place to enjoy an all-American,
all-beef wiener! (heh heh heh)

> Veggies and rice hardly constitute much versatility as a means of
> quality cooking. I've used the nukker for veggies and I didn't care
> for them.

quality? Let's say "good enough". There are times when it's more important
to eat fast than to eat lavishly. When fast is the priority, nuked veggies
are perfectly acceptable to me. You have to err on the side of undercooked,
though. Remember, they keep cooking once the power goes off. I nuke fresh
asparagus, about a pound, for about 70 seconds. Let it sit inside the oven
(off) for about 5 minutes, it's perfect. Cooked, but still al-dente. Same
for broccoli. Like I said, I either nuke or I roast. Nothing is yummier
than roasted cauliflower. Try it some time. Cut it up, drizzle with a
tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper, turn it around in a bowl to coat
well, and roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees (check after 15 min, don't
want it to burn). I got this from a recipe for cauliflower in a gruyere
sauce I had at someone's house for thanksgiving last year. she got it from
woman's day magazine. Made it myself, tasted the roasted veggie before
using the cheese sauce, guess what? I liked it so much, I saved the cheese
for something else.

>> I would never cook meat in the microwave oven (from a raw state), you are
>> right, when it comes to meats, the mw is best used to reheat. And there is
>> no advantage to using it for dried pasta from a raw state, as that quantity
>> of water takes longer to nuke than to boil on the stove.

> On this we agree.
>
> The OP struck home with a place I was in life about 10 years ago. I
> had no stove, just a microwave. Like the OP, I felt I needed to
> "broaden my horizons."

My brother disconnected his stove. couldn't be bothered. Uses a mw, a
toaster oven and a GF grill to eat. <shrug> it's not my way, but it seems
to work for him.

> Those who have attended cook-ins at both my
> homes know that I have quite a cooking arsenal today. I didn't learn
> how to cook in a microwave. It's the same principal I was taught the
> electrical trade. You gotta learn how to do it right before you can
> effectivly use shortcuts.

well that's true. I know how to use a knife. It bores me, but I can do it.
I'd rather spend my energy dreaming up the recipes and creating them than
cutting and chopping. So I have a food processor. And let me add, it's been
a god-send since I broke my left arm. With some help from my friends doing
lifting and carrying, i've been able to cook some decent meals one-handed,
thanks to my fp and the gadgets in my arsenal. (and my friends, of course,
who get to enjoy my efforts in exchange for their help)

sheryl

Charles Gifford

<Gar> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:49:41 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>
> >The best pork roast I've ever had I made in a microwave.

> GASP!!!!!

I know! I was amazed too. <shrug> It was perfect.

> >People who poo-poo
> >microwaves usually have never given it a knowledgeable try.

> I'm glad you said usually <g>
>
> Gar

Hee, hee. I might even go to "sometimes"

Charlie

Dumb Question - Cooking Sausage in Microwave Jedi Master CK General Cooking 69 17-04-2019 09:56 AM
Microwave question [email protected] General Cooking 83 19-01-2013 04:52 AM
Combination microwave question Syke General Cooking 7 07-07-2011 05:22 PM
Microwave cooking Boyo Vegan 1 11-04-2007 12:05 AM
Microwave question JBreits General Cooking 5 29-06-2005 12:03 AM