Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2007-07-16) Survey on the RFC site: Meat 'from scratch'

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now! (or not)

Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
>
> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey

Are you kidding? I don't even like to squash a bug! :~) I have watched
fish being whacked to death and I have boiled lobsters, crabs, clams and
such to death, but I think that's where I draw the line.

(And darn it, I still didn't get the tinfoil hat! I came in second.)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now! (or not)
> >
> > Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey

> Are you kidding? I don't even like to squash a bug! :~) I have watched
> fish being whacked to death and I have boiled lobsters, crabs, clams and
> such to death, but I think that's where I draw the line.
>
> (And darn it, I still didn't get the tinfoil hat! I came in second.)
>
> kili

I came in 6th...

I don't enjoy it, but I can process my own meat from the live state.
I don't thing I could ever give up being a carnivore.

Kili, you could make it TFM's job. <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)
>>
>> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey

> Are you kidding? I don't even like to squash a bug! :~) I have watched
> fish being whacked to death and I have boiled lobsters, crabs, clams and
> such to death, but I think that's where I draw the line.

Ditto. Except for the bug squashing. We get those tiny darn 'kitchen'
ants - I have no qualms about stomping on them and/or killing them off
with insecticide.

> (And darn it, I still didn't get the tinfoil hat! I came in second.)

Too bad
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
>> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Vote now! (or not)
>>>
>>> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey

>> Are you kidding? I don't even like to squash a bug! :~) I have
>> watched fish being whacked to death and I have boiled lobsters,
>> crabs, clams and such to death, but I think that's where I draw the
>> line.
>>
>> (And darn it, I still didn't get the tinfoil hat! I came in second.)
>>
>> kili

> I came in 6th...
>
> I don't enjoy it, but I can process my own meat from the live state.
> I don't thing I could ever give up being a carnivore.
>
> Kili, you could make it TFM's job. <g>

Oh, he has NO qualms about "offing" an animal. He's slaughtered pigs,
chickens and such. I just don't want to see it or hear it. I'll eat the
finished product, but I don't want to know it before it gets killed. LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 9:01 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Are you kidding? I don't even like to squash a bug! :~) I have
> >> watched fish being whacked to death and I have boiled lobsters,
> >> crabs, clams and such to death, but I think that's where I draw the
> >> line.

> >> (And darn it, I still didn't get the tinfoil hat! I came in second.)

> >> kili

> > I came in 6th...

> > I don't enjoy it, but I can process my own meat from the live state.
> > I don't thing I could ever give up being a carnivore.

> > Kili, you could make it TFM's job. <g>

> Oh, he has NO qualms about "offing" an animal. He's slaughtered pigs,
> chickens and such. I just don't want to see it or hear it. I'll eat the
> finished product, but I don't want to know it before it gets killed. LOL.
>
> kili

Yeah, I had to pick "my choice isn't listed" because I'd just have The
Man
take care of it. Dead things are his job; live things are mine. Of
course,
turning Live Things into Dead Things is his job, especially spiders (I
don't
care whether they're in the house or not, but he does) and skunks
(which
seem hellbent on living under the deck).

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Jul 16, 9:01 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> I came in 6th...

>>> I don't enjoy it, but I can process my own meat from the live state.
>>> I don't thing I could ever give up being a carnivore.

>>> Kili, you could make it TFM's job. <g>

>> Oh, he has NO qualms about "offing" an animal. He's slaughtered
>> pigs, chickens and such. I just don't want to see it or hear it.
>> I'll eat the finished product, but I don't want to know it before it
>> gets killed. LOL.
>>
>> kili

> Yeah, I had to pick "my choice isn't listed" because I'd just have The
> Man
> take care of it. Dead things are his job; live things are mine. Of
> course,
> turning Live Things into Dead Things is his job, especially spiders (I
> don't
> care whether they're in the house or not, but he does) and skunks
> (which
> seem hellbent on living under the deck).
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Skunks? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I hope they don't, um, "surprise" you too often.
Good luck with that one!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> Yeah, I had to pick "my choice isn't listed" because I'd just have The
>> Man
>> take care of it. Dead things are his job; live things are mine. Of
>> course,
>> turning Live Things into Dead Things is his job, especially spiders (I
>> don't
>> care whether they're in the house or not, but he does)
>> Cindy Hamilton

I thought killing Spiders is restricted to certain times of the day.

Spinne am Morgen, Kummer und Sorgen
means Spider in the morning, Worries and Sorrow

Spinne am Mittag, Glueck am Dritt Tag
means, Spider in Midday, Luck on the Third Day

Spinne am Abend, Glueck und Gaben
means Spider in the evening, Luck and Gifts.

Therefore I assumed that you could only kill them in the morning.
Otherwise, you will not get the good stuff from them. Or?

Bubba Vic, what is the Spider Killing Protocol? Assuming you read this,
of course. )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> kili

> Yeah, I had to pick "my choice isn't listed" because I'd just have The
> Man
> take care of it. Dead things are his job; live things are mine.

LOL. But the question did ask "if you had to slaughter it *yourself*" -
I took that to mean there was no other person to do it for you

> Of course,
> turning Live Things into Dead Things is his job, especially spiders (I
> don't
> care whether they're in the house or not, but he does) and skunks
> (which
> seem hellbent on living under the deck).

Thank gawd we don't get skunks around here....

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
>
> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey

I recently brought this very question up and
discussed it with friends. I think I would at
first quit eating meat and fish if I had to kill
it myself. Of course, I have no problem butchering
the meat once it's dead. I just couldn't bring
myself to do that actual killing. I used to fish
but I've gotten more squeamish in my old age and
now am not so sure I could even kill a fish. I
get depressed when I see those poor lobsters in the
tanks at restaurants and as much as I love lobster
I can't bring myself to order it at those places.

However, I think that I would probably summon up the
nerve to do the killing after eating nothing but
fruits and vegetables for any length of time. So
I chose MCINL on the survey.

Temporary vegetarian!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> kilikini wrote:
>
>> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Vote now! (or not)
>>>
>>> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey

>> Are you kidding? I don't even like to squash a bug! :~) I have
>> watched
>> fish being whacked to death and I have boiled lobsters, crabs, clams and
>> such to death, but I think that's where I draw the line.

> Ditto. Except for the bug squashing. We get those tiny darn 'kitchen'
> ants - I have no qualms about stomping on them and/or killing them off
> with insecticide.

I pretty much don't like to kill anything and even feel
bad when have to kill even the most disgusting insects,
such as a cockroach. But I do kill certain insects as
I just won't tolerate them in the house. I prefer spraying
them with Raid, though, althoug I absolutely hate the smell
of that stuff, rather than stepping on them or smashing them
in any way. Bug guts are even worse than the bugs themselves.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
>
> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Kill it and eat it. If someone else does the messy work for me it's a
plus, but I'm not squeamish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> However, I think that I would probably summon up the
> nerve to do the killing after eating nothing but
> fruits and vegetables for any length of time. So
> I chose MCINL on the survey.
>
> Temporary vegetarian!

I have never been able to kill any animal that I have "met" - but if the
"strike" lasted long enough, who knows
We have chickens - well.. only one hen and the rooster are left... I
always joke about putting him in the pot - but if I have to do the
killing he will die of old age first. We had more "hens" at one stage
but 2 of them turned out to be roosters LOL! I gave those away *alive*
to other people for the pot, but left the slaughtering to them. However,
DH will slaughter chickens if he really, really has to - so I will have
to rely on him if the need ever arises...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who even gives her chickens names
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:35:13 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)
>>
>> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey

>Are you kidding? I don't even like to squash a bug! :~) I have watched
>fish being whacked to death and I have boiled lobsters, crabs, clams and
>such to death, but I think that's where I draw the line.
>
>(And darn it, I still didn't get the tinfoil hat! I came in second.)
>
>kili

my dad used to talk about my mother's mother cutting the eyes from
soft-shell crabs with tears streaming down her face. he thought that
was funny, the brute.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
>
> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey

Well, I can kill bugs without regret and even wrestle with crabs in the
steamer. However, that's the limit. At the other house we raised 4H
animals - Black Angus steers - and the slaughterhouse men came and took
them away. It was hard to think of "Blackie" in those neatly wrapped
white packages that we got back. We once had a veal calf to raise - it
was so young I fed it from a bucket - told my husband I could eat the
animal when butchered provided it never had a name. So --- we sat at
the dinner table and Son #1 waved his fork and said, "What part of
Ferdinand is this, Daddy?" That ended that, as far as I was concerned.
I'm a born and bred city girl - forget that unpleasant farm stuff!

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:26:36 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Chatty Cathy wrote:
>>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)
>>
>> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

>Kill it and eat it. If someone else does the messy work for me it's a
>plus, but I'm not squeamish.

Me, too. I'd not enjoy it, but I'd do it.

In one of his books on Thomas Keller, Michael Ruhlman describes how
Keller -- possibly the greatest American chef -- got his rabbit
supplier to teach him how to kill them. He messed up the first time
with bad effects, but he kept at it till he was able to dispatch
bunnies cleanly. The reason for slaughtering them himself wasn't
anything macho or sadistic; he felt that witnessing their death at his
own hands would make him respect their meat more deeply. Meat is dead
animals, one shouldn't pretend otherwise. I think it's important for
us to be aware of where our food comes from.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> Bug guts are even worse than the bugs themselves.
>
> Kate

Especially Palmetto bugs! Ick.
They squish nasty so I don't do it.

I grab them with a wad of toilet paper and flush them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Yeah, I had to pick "my choice isn't listed" because I'd just have The
>>> Man
>>> take care of it. Dead things are his job; live things are mine. Of
>>> course,
>>> turning Live Things into Dead Things is his job, especially spiders (I
>>> don't
>>> care whether they're in the house or not, but he does)
>>> Cindy Hamilton

> I thought killing Spiders is restricted to certain times of the day.

And to months with "r" in their name. Or without "r". I can never
remember.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 8:17 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
>
> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Instant vegetarian at least for a while. I am far to lazy most of the
time to do my own butchering, fish cleaning etc. I would make an
exception for frogs.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 2:39 pm, "limey" > wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > Vote now! (or not)

> > Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey

> Well, I can kill bugs without regret and even wrestle with crabs in the
> steamer. However, that's the limit. At the other house we raised 4H
> animals - Black Angus steers - and the slaughterhouse men came and took
> them away. It was hard to think of "Blackie" in those neatly wrapped
> white packages that we got back. We once had a veal calf to raise - it
> was so young I fed it from a bucket - told my husband I could eat the
> animal when butchered provided it never had a name. So --- we sat at
> the dinner table and Son #1 waved his fork and said, "What part of
> Ferdinand is this, Daddy?" That ended that, as far as I was concerned.
> I'm a born and bred city girl - forget that unpleasant farm stuff!
>
> Dora

As children we always wanted to know who was for dinner.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Kate Connally > wrote:
>
>> Bug guts are even worse than the bugs themselves.
>>
>> Kate

> Especially Palmetto bugs! Ick.
> They squish nasty so I don't do it.
>
> I grab them with a wad of toilet paper and flush them.

I have a highly irrational fear of Palmetto bugs. I have to spray the crap
out of them with store brand bug spray. I can't even pick up their corpses
with a wad of toilet paper... out comes the vacuum cleaner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran > wrote:

> I thought killing Spiders is restricted to certain times of the day.
>
> Spinne am Morgen, Kummer und Sorgen
> means Spider in the morning, Worries and Sorrow
>
> Spinne am Mittag, Glueck am Dritt Tag
> means, Spider in Midday, Luck on the Third Day
>
> Spinne am Abend, Glueck und Gaben
> means Spider in the evening, Luck and Gifts.
>
> Therefore I assumed that you could only kill them in the morning.
> Otherwise, you will not get the good stuff from them. Or?
>
> Bubba Vic, what is the Spider Killing Protocol? Assuming you read this,
> of course. )

It is a mistake - a pretty common one - to assume that "Spinne" in the
above sayings means "spider". It means "to spin (yarn)", "spinning",
and the sayings refer to the results of this spinning. See, for
example, <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinne_am_Morgen>.

Bubba Vic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Kate Connally > wrote:
> >
> >> Bug guts are even worse than the bugs themselves.
> >>
> >> Kate

> > Especially Palmetto bugs! Ick.
> > They squish nasty so I don't do it.
> >
> > I grab them with a wad of toilet paper and flush them.

> I have a highly irrational fear of Palmetto bugs. I have to spray the crap
> out of them with store brand bug spray. I can't even pick up their corpses
> with a wad of toilet paper... out comes the vacuum cleaner.

I'm not overly fond of them myself...
I totally understand!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
>
> Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

It's the only honest way to eat meat.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 10:55 am, margaret suran >
wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >> Yeah, I had to pick "my choice isn't listed" because I'd just have The
> >> Man
> >> take care of it. Dead things are his job; live things are mine. Of
> >> course,
> >> turning Live Things into Dead Things is his job, especially spiders (I
> >> don't
> >> care whether they're in the house or not, but he does)
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> I thought killing Spiders is restricted to certain times of the day.
>
> Spinne am Morgen, Kummer und Sorgen
> means Spider in the morning, Worries and Sorrow
>
> Spinne am Mittag, Glueck am Dritt Tag
> means, Spider in Midday, Luck on the Third Day
>
> Spinne am Abend, Glueck und Gaben
> means Spider in the evening, Luck and Gifts.
>
> Therefore I assumed that you could only kill them in the morning.
> Otherwise, you will not get the good stuff from them. Or?
>
> Bubba Vic, what is the Spider Killing Protocol? Assuming you read this,
> of course. )

He seems to do most of his spider-killing in the bathroom, around
shower
time, so we're covered there. Mornings are hell on spiders.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 11:11 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >> kili

> > Yeah, I had to pick "my choice isn't listed" because I'd just have The
> > Man
> > take care of it. Dead things are his job; live things are mine.

> LOL. But the question did ask "if you had to slaughter it *yourself*" -
> I took that to mean there was no other person to do it for you

Ah. I can't conceive of life without "himself". (I suppose I'll be
in
for a big shock someday.) I reckon I'd become a vegetarian; it
really wouldn't be that difficult for me.

> > Of course,
> > turning Live Things into Dead Things is his job, especially spiders (I
> > don't
> > care whether they're in the house or not, but he does) and skunks
> > (which
> > seem hellbent on living under the deck).

> Thank gawd we don't get skunks around here....

Not so bad, actually. If you don't try to rush them, you probably
won't
get sprayed directly. Of course, wherever they are you find a
lingering
bad odor. When I was a kid, the smell of skunk was enough to gag me,
but after I grew up, it became unpleasant but tolerable. Then again,
I've never had a dog that got sprayed. That might give me an entirely
different attitude--having to get up close and personal with it in
order to
get the dog clean.

We've got some lattice on order; we hope to make it difficult enough
to get
under the deck that the animals give up trying.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now! (or not)
> >
> > Thanks go to jack for suggesting this survey
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> It's the only honest way to eat meat.
>
> -L.

Cruel statement...

But accurate. ;-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Not so bad, actually. If you don't try to rush them, you probably
> won't
> get sprayed directly. Of course, wherever they are you find a
> lingering
> bad odor. When I was a kid, the smell of skunk was enough to gag me,
> but after I grew up, it became unpleasant but tolerable. Then again,
> I've never had a dog that got sprayed. That might give me an entirely
> different attitude--having to get up close and personal with it in
> order to
> get the dog clean.
>
> We've got some lattice on order; we hope to make it difficult enough
> to get
> under the deck that the animals give up trying.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

We had a German Shepherd who was royally sprayed. She couldn't stand
herself and came to us for help. Gag.
However, we tried the old tomato juice treatment, which did cut down on
a lot of the odour until each time she got wet. It was ages before the
smell vanished - and she never tackled a skunk again.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> Me, too. I'd not enjoy it, but I'd do it.
>
> In one of his books on Thomas Keller, Michael Ruhlman describes how
> Keller -- possibly the greatest American chef -- got his rabbit
> supplier to teach him how to kill them. He messed up the first time
> with bad effects, but he kept at it till he was able to dispatch
> bunnies cleanly. The reason for slaughtering them himself wasn't
> anything macho or sadistic; he felt that witnessing their death at his
> own hands would make him respect their meat more deeply. Meat is dead
> animals, one shouldn't pretend otherwise. I think it's important for
> us to be aware of where our food comes from.
> --
>
> modom

As a child, my family always said grace at the table (Southern Baptists,
living in the Bible belt, what can I tell ya). Saying grace was a
little different when we ate at my maternal grandparent's house. My
paternal grandfather was half native American, and he always gave thanks
to the animal who gave their life, so we could live. It did make me more
appreciative.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

<snip>
>> ... he kept at it till he was able to dispatch
> > bunnies cleanly. The reason for slaughtering them himself wasn't
> > anything macho or sadistic; he felt that witnessing their death at his
> > own hands would make him respect their meat more deeply. Meat is dead
> > animals, one shouldn't pretend otherwise. I think it's important for
> > us to be aware of where our food comes from.
> > --
> >
> > modom

<snip>

> My
> paternal grandfather was half native American, and he always gave thanks
> to the animal who gave their life, so we could live. It did make me more
> appreciative.
>
> Becca

My wife's dad took her to the local slaughterhouse when she was a child
cause he thought she should know where that hamburger came from. He died
when she was about 20, three decades or so before I met his lovely
daughter. Everybody says he was a wonderful man and a great father, but
I guess I'm glad I never met him.

I probably wouldn't make a very good native american either. I'd thank
the pig that's going into the stir-fry tonight, except he didn't give
his life for me. At least he didn't give it freely. I think somebody
took it from him against his will.

Regards,
Dave W.
In the Ozarks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> margaret suran > wrote:

>> Bubba Vic, what is the Spider Killing Protocol? Assuming you read this,
>> of course. )

> It is a mistake - a pretty common one - to assume that "Spinne" in the
> above sayings means "spider". It means "to spin (yarn)", "spinning",
> and the sayings refer to the results of this spinning. See, for
> example, <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinne_am_Morgen>.
>
> Bubba Vic

Yeah, Yeah, next you will tell me that lady bugs do not bring good luck
and neither do four leaf clovers and little pink Marzipan piglets with
shiny Groschen in their snouts and Chimney Sweeps. BTW, where have all
the Chimney Sweeps gone? I do not remember the last time I saw one on
the street. Are there any in Düsseldorf?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
news
> The reason for slaughtering them himself wasn't
> anything macho or sadistic; he felt that witnessing their death at his
> own hands would make him respect their meat more deeply. Meat is dead
> animals, one shouldn't pretend otherwise. I think it's important for
> us to be aware of where our food comes from.
> --

I was a vegetarian for about 7 years, and I didn't have a problem with
others choosing to eat meat, but it did annoy me when they would say "Ooo,
I could never kill anything, and I hate touching raw meat, but I can't live
without steak/salami/chicken/bacon/wotever..."

When I decided to rejoin the ranks of the omnivores, I decided the first
dead thing I ate would be one I'd killed myself. I went fishing and
caught, killed, cleaned, cooked and ate a flathead. I truly knew and
appreciated that fish - it was the closest thing to a spiritual experience
this atheist has had.

I don't often get the chance to kill things, but I did shoot a rabbit a
couple of years back and it was delicious. I'd get a gun of my own, but
can't justify the expense right now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . 131>,
Amarantha > wrote:

> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
> news >
> > The reason for slaughtering them himself wasn't
> > anything macho or sadistic; he felt that witnessing their death at his
> > own hands would make him respect their meat more deeply. Meat is dead
> > animals, one shouldn't pretend otherwise. I think it's important for
> > us to be aware of where our food comes from.
> > --
> >

> I was a vegetarian for about 7 years, and I didn't have a problem with
> others choosing to eat meat, but it did annoy me when they would say "Ooo,
> I could never kill anything, and I hate touching raw meat, but I can't live
> without steak/salami/chicken/bacon/wotever..."
>
> When I decided to rejoin the ranks of the omnivores, I decided the first
> dead thing I ate would be one I'd killed myself. I went fishing and
> caught, killed, cleaned, cooked and ate a flathead. I truly knew and
> appreciated that fish - it was the closest thing to a spiritual experience
> this atheist has had.
>
> I don't often get the chance to kill things, but I did shoot a rabbit a
> couple of years back and it was delicious. I'd get a gun of my own, but
> can't justify the expense right now.

Buy a used one.
They hold their value if nothing else.

I don't enjoy killing my own meat, but I can do it and I understand what
you mean about appreciation.

Not only is it a lot of work, but I do always ask the animal for
forgiveness... That might sound silly to those that have never done it,
but until you have prepared meat from scratch, I'd not expect you to
understand.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran > wrote:

> Yeah, Yeah, next you will tell me that lady bugs do not bring good luck
> and neither do four leaf clovers and little pink Marzipan piglets with
> shiny Groschen in their snouts and Chimney Sweeps.

Ladybugs are normally made of too cheap a grade of chocolate to bring
any luck. This is still more true of the inedible marzipan piglets.
Chimney sweeps or black cats crossing the street in front of you have
always been considered a bad enough sign to have to turn back. On the
other hand, it was/is considered lucky to touch a chimney sweep,
unless of course he crosses the street in front of you first. Nowadays,
some chimney sweeps are women, though, and I do not know how many of
them would be happy with all that touching. Depends on who is doing
the touching, perhaps....

> BTW, where have all
> the Chimney Sweeps gone? I do not remember the last time I saw one on
> the street. Are there any in Düsseldorf?

Soytanly, and everywhere else in Germany, too. They are still called
exactly that - Schornsteinfeger - and sometimes still wear their
traditional black garb (Zunftkleidung) with shiny metal buttons and a
top hat. See <http://www.jobber.de/studenten/tmnx07_3059812.nitf.htm>.

And here is the ultimate Glücksbringer - a chimney sweep riding a pig:
<http://cgi.ebay.de/Schornsteinfeger-sitzt-auf-Schwein_W0QQitemZ140138373733QQcmdZ>.

ObChimneySweepFood: Baumkuchen. Allegedly introduced by a chimney sweep.
This is from the German Embassy's Web Site in the UK, at
<http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretung/london/en/01/German__Food__Wine/Regional__specialities/Baumkuchen__DownloadDatei,property=Daten.pdf>

Bubba

"TREE CAKES"
YOU MAY BE FAMILIAR WITH TEA CAKES, BUT HAVE YOU EVER TRIED A "TREE
CAKE"?

The exact origins of the Tree Cake are unknown. Legend has it that it
was first made as a Hungarian wedding cake and was only introduced to
Germany by a wandering chimney sweep, who gave the recipe to a Berlin
gingerbread maker. The first written mention of the Tree Cake came in
1682 in a work by Johann Sigismund Elsholtz, the physician of the
fiefdom's Chief Elector, entitled "Spiced Bread and All Things Baked."

The centre of Tree Cake production in Germany is Salzwedel,where the
bakers have proudly been following a secret recipe since the beginning
of the 19th century.

Tree Cake is often referred to as "King of all Cakes". Its method may
not sound too disimilar from that of a kebab. But fear not: Baking a
Tree Cake on a revolving spit will ultimately produce a most delicious
and sweet result that is as far removed from that of a greasy kebab as
you can possibly be. Traditionally a Tree Cake is baked over an open
fireplace. The dough is applied to the spit in 10-20 different layers.
This method results in the cake's unique look that may well be described
as resembling the rings on a tree trunk. Hence the name Tree Cake.

Having removed the cake from the spit, you may divide it into as many
constituent "rings" as you wish. Some people have other ideas, however:
There are frequent attempts at producing the "world's longest Tree
Cake."

Finally, the Tree Cake is topped with a layer of chocolate. The recipe
may have become more and more refined but the technique has, by and
large, remained the same. The long and thorough baking process and the
chocolate topping extend the Tree Cake's life span. This characteristic,
together with its delicious taste, has made the Tree Cake an early
example of Germany's propensity to export high-quality produce around
the globe. Today German Tree Cake is hugely popular fare in Japan, for
example. Nearly all Japanese grocers' and bakers' offer Tree Cake under
the abbreviation of its original German name "Baum". (The full name in
German is Baumkuchen.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> margaret suran > wrote:
>
>> Yeah, Yeah, next you will tell me that lady bugs do not bring good
>> luck and neither do four leaf clovers and little pink Marzipan
>> piglets with shiny Groschen in their snouts and Chimney Sweeps.

> Ladybugs are normally made of too cheap a grade of chocolate to bring
> any luck. This is still more true of the inedible marzipan piglets.
> Chimney sweeps or black cats crossing the street in front of you
> have always been considered a bad enough sign to have to turn back.
> On the other hand, it was/is considered lucky to touch a chimney
> sweep, unless of course he crosses the street in front of you first.
> Nowadays, some chimney sweeps are women, though, and I do not know
> how many of them would be happy with all that touching. Depends on
> who is doing the touching, perhaps....

No doubt, you have taken leave of your senses. Chocolate? The ladybugs
with which I associate are made of bug materials (!). They can fly, so
that they can bring good luck to people. Four leaf clover is made of
grass like stuff, little pink Marzipan piglets are made of Marzipan and
are to be loved, not eaten, unless you are a Cannibal, which you
probably are, after lately bragging about some of the weird foods you
have eaten. And enjoyed. We did call Chimney Sweeps Schornsteinfeger,
but also Kaminfeger. Nobody touched them for good luck, since they
probably would have smacked the people who wanted to touch them and that
is not good luck. Being smacked, I mean.

> And here is the ultimate Glücksbringer - a chimney sweep riding a
> pig:
> <http://cgi.ebay.de/Schornsteinfeger-sitzt-auf-Schwein_W0QQitemZ140138373733QQcmdZ>.

I cannot open the picture of the Chimney Sweep riding the little pink
pig. (

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran > wrote:

> No doubt, you have taken leave of your senses. Chocolate? The ladybugs
> with which I associate are made of bug materials (!). They can fly, so
> that they can bring good luck to people.

I do not call it luck when bugs are crawling all about me. Not even if
they are ladies. You'd have trouble finding any such luck in Düsseldorf
nowadays (and probably not in New York, either). Getting some chocolate
is rather luckier.

> Four leaf clover is made of
> grass like stuff, little pink Marzipan piglets are made of Marzipan and
> are to be loved, not eaten, unless you are a Cannibal, which you
> probably are, after lately bragging about some of the weird foods you
> have eaten.

Okay, now you are calling me a piglet, even if only a marzipan one. For
this is a definition of cannibal, in this particular application. And
there are far better things to love than marzipan piglets.

> And enjoyed. We did call Chimney Sweeps Schornsteinfeger,
> but also Kaminfeger.

I though they were called Rauchfangkehrer in Vienna. See
<http://www.ostarrichi.org/wort-1621-de-Schornsteinfeger.html>.
Kaminfeger is Bayerisch.

> Nobody touched them for good luck, since they
> probably would have smacked the people who wanted to touch them and that
> is not good luck. Being smacked, I mean.

Poor, unloved chimney sweeps, and all because of monsters like you, who
prefer to love marzipan piglets!

> > And here is the ultimate Glücksbringer - a chimney sweep riding a
> > pig:

<http://cgi.ebay.de/Schornsteinfeger-sitzt-auf-Schwein_W0QQitemZ140138373733QQcmdZ>.

> I cannot open the picture of the Chimney Sweep riding the little pink
> pig. (

It is not a picture as such, it is an eBay auction page with the
pictures. Try it again - I just did - it works. Also, scroll down.
And here is one of the pictures separately:
<http://i14.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/a7/d4/a06d_1.JPG>

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> I do not call it luck when bugs are crawling all about me. Not even if
> they are ladies. You'd have trouble finding any such luck in Düsseldorf
> nowadays (and probably not in New York, either). Getting some chocolate
> is rather luckier.

There are Ladybugs in every Park in New York City. And if one happens
to fly around and land on you, that is especially lucky. Too bad that
they are no longer to be found in Duesseldorf.

>> We did call Chimney Sweeps Schornsteinfeger,
>> but also Kaminfeger.

> I though they were called Rauchfangkehrer in Vienna. See
> <http://www.ostarrichi.org/wort-1621-de-Schornsteinfeger.html>.
> Kaminfeger is Bayerisch.

Right!!! I forgot all about this word. I am getting more and more
forgetful by the day. (

Here is a Blog Entry from Anderson Cooper that you may not have seen.
It will make you very sad.

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/ande...log/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran > wrote:

> There are Ladybugs in every Park in New York City. And if one happens
> to fly around and land on you, that is especially lucky.

For the ladybug, maybe.

> Too bad that
> they are no longer to be found in Duesseldorf.

I rarely walk in parks; maybe there are some ladybugs to be found there.
Park ponds here are full of very tasty-looking ducks, which may well
bring one some luck if they land on one's table. However it is
forbidden to shoot or catch them - and also to feed them. There are
signs prohibiting feeding, with pictures of dead ducks. Apparently,
bread that people bring to feed ducks is, or can become, harmful to
them. However, one can get approved feed (I do not know if one has to
pay for it) at certain places and hours in at least one park. The ducks
are fat and look happy enough without any kind of additional feeding,
though.

> Here is a Blog Entry from Anderson Cooper that you may not have seen.
> It will make you very sad.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/ande...log/index.html

Yes, indeed. There are some glaring omissions, though .... for example
no mention of either chocolate ladybugs or of marzipan piglets.

Bubba